Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    IW - Thanks. I don't have any gadgets either - I like to go with the flow and hear the wind and the birds as I run and rely on my free running watch when I subscribed to RW years ago! Hope to get my Brighton 'pack' at work tomorrow. Noticed they have 'pacers' at Brighton so will stick with the 3:20 pacer for as long as possible and if I feel good, I may push on to try and beat the challenge set by Terry (TE) who ran a marathon in 3:12 some years ago when he was my age (49).
  • Options

My number is 6479 - I had someone who does have gadgets look it up for me!

• Options
    Any news on the racers?
  • Options
    Terry (TE) did brilliantly at Exbury (he sent me a text earlier) but I'll leave it to him to report the news! Congrats again Terry! Great effort!
  • Options

It was a lovely day in the New Forest - cool but sunny with a light breeze, so pretty good for racing I would think.

Slowish 11 milesfor me, but it was just lovely out - sunshine and birdsong!

• Options

Hi all

How's everyones training going? Haven't read back as it has been a hell of a busy day and have just got in doors and thought I would go on the thread for the first time in days.

Went out for a 20 miler this morning with a guy from the IT dept. at work.I have been practically training him up for the last 15 months to get him round the VLM.We actually ran 19.5 miles ( I made up the extra in my jog home). He became a bit dispondent as he had to stop and walk 4 or 5 times,only for a couple of minutes at a time and I am trying to get it through to him that IT DOES NOT MATTER.In fact for a novice marathoner ,which he is, this is actually encouraged if need be.It is better to stop and walk periodically before you actually really have to  stop and perhaps can't go on.He is not a runner,is 6 foot 3 and a stocky build ,so he finds it a real slog.I also tell him anything between 18-20 miles is fine,esp as we were on our feet for 3 hours 10 minutes ,so this equates to a long run anyway.

I know of competitive runners who actually walk little bits of the marathon to make sure thay get around.I have done it myself,esp at water staions just to compose myself and get a little fluid on board.I also know of competitive marathoners who have walked and done cracking times!

The guy's name is Matt and he is raising money for charity and I can really appreciate this as I know how hard he is finding it,but he has a fantastic mindset and is determined to do it,hence the disappointment at walking.We have ben going out for 15 months now on the road,literally starting form scratch.His first run was 2.7 miles which actually wiped him out and he walked twice then,so as I said to him,look at the progression over the last year and a half. 

I thought you may be interested in this as there are first time marathoners who are still good competitive runners,and there are real novice first timers and Matt is the latter.We did 9.28 min/miling and this was good for me also as it is a break from the more intensive week I had.I clocked up 55 miles last week with a couple of pretty quick race pace runs and an 18 miler last sunday at 6.12 minute miling.So it suited us both to go slow and even walk.

I guess what I am saying is if you have to walk it is totally acceptible.Some people beg to differ.It is an interesting part of marathoning which perhaps is open to debate.

Sorry this is long winded.I just find all concepts of marathoning (whatever they are) very interesting.

Hope you are all running well and tune up races are going ok.It is nearly taper time.

Catch you in a bit 

• Options
    It was indeed a lovely day in the New Forest, sunny, but not too warm, ideal conditions for my Exbury 10k race. I achieved my objective of going sub 50 mins. by recording 49.53 on my Garmin. I probably set off to quickly and went through 5k in 24.08. My mile splits, with fastest pace in brackets, were as follows:- 7.27(5.45), 7.44(6.04), 7.59(6.55), 8.12(6.45), 8.23(7.21), 7.59(6.55), 2.08(7.01). Total distance 6.26 miles.
  • Options
    Great effort Terence.It is always great to achieve the time you are after.You deserve a beerimage
  • Options

I' m  back at home, withmy feet up cos they ache like mad and i'm on my first glass of Chianti.  image

East Hull 20 complete in fairly warm conditions, sunny at times, a gentle breeze at halfway and a spot of rain in the last two miles.

It took me 3-44 -08 and i have to say i did'nt run as well as i did at Siverstone. I was'nt able to maintain a consistent pace as i had done before, i had one or two little hills to negotiate and a couple of dodgy mile markers that did'nt help.

I got carried away too fast in the first 3 miles and by the time i got to mile 17 my stamina began to fail, on a positive note i can say, i never gave up and that is what i always do best. At the finish i even made a token sprint for the line which resulted in bringing on the cramp in my legs.

On that performance London is looking like the 5 hour mark.

• Options
    Kiwi - after the debacle at the half-marathon, I have to say for the first time in my life I am extremely apprehensive about the marathon. A sports medicine doc told me three years ago to stop running or, in his words, nothing will work any more, but of course I didn't listen. Now I'm afraid he was right and Brighton is going to be my swan song.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

One half of the Hastings Team is here image

I'm not going to spoil the surprise as I think Columba should tell her story. Suffice to say she was an absolute superstar and completed the whole course without walking, and we sailed up the first 5 miles of hills at 12mm pace. Other than that, my lips are sealed image

<skips off for a short recovery plod>

It's now officially taper time for me. I usually only do a 2 week taper but I'm following my plan to see if it makes a difference.

(((IW))) oh I'm so sorry you're feeling down about Brighton. I got my number on Saturday and I'm 8914 so I'm probably in a start area way behind you.

TE, excellent time. I'm exceedingly jealous image

OT, that's a good time for a 20 miler and you shouldn't have been racing it anyway as it would have taken too much out of you.

JJ, RICE please and take care xxx

Kiwi, you're quite right. There is really nothing wrong at all in taking a walk break during a marathon. In ultras, even the super speedy elite types walk sometimes image
  • Options

Redhead, fabarooni, canr wait to hear about C.

JJ so sorry re your pains.

Walking in a marathon, Im planning sitting!!!!!

• Options
    Really sorry to hear that, IW
  • Options

Ultra IW yep likewise, soundslike really awful place to be in.

xxxxxxxxx

• Options

Thanks all. I'll get over it eventually, whatever happens.

Redhead, looking at the list of numbers on the Brighton thread, it looks like numbers were assigned first and then runners were separated into colours according to their claimed time. There's such a disparity in that number listing.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    IW, tell me about it! I've ended up in the 5 -6 hour pen when I put my time as 4:45 and I finished it last year in 4:55. No doubt I'll get stuck behind someone pushing a hospital bed or dressed as a Mr Man image
  • Options

Hi Redhead, Ironwolf and Johnny J

Nice to see you are still on here.

The other JJ

• Options
    Yes, so pleased drinks will be in bottles at Brighton!

Rec'd my 'prizes' today from RF magazine for my 'Letter of the month' - very nice Brooks running jacket and Brooks Trance running shoes!

So, all get writing and win, win, win!

Still waiting for my Brighton Marathon 'pack' though! Boooooooo!
  • Options

I didn't bother to take a drink at 5k as they were in paper cups, and like others on this forum, find it difficult to take on board sufficient to do any good. I've tried pinching the cups, as has been suggested, but this has the effect of forcing the water out of the top and all over me. In longer races and when it is hot, I walk with the cup, ensuring that I don't spill any.

The provisional results for my race are out, but don't give the age categories, so I don't yet know where I came in my group. My finishing position was 107th out of 372 finishers.

I was intending to take a rest day today, but couldn't resist trying out my new Asic 1160's. I just ran 3.3 miles very slowly and the trainers felt stiff at first, but towards the end, felt more comfortable.

• Options

I couldn't agree more REDHEAD.I have done it myself,quite simply because I had to.Better to stop and recharge a little so that you can continue than having to stop and not being able to continue at all.

Really sorry to hear that IRON WOLF.I am  sure you'll be fine.Go out in style.A guy at work has run four marathons now including London and Paris.He then had an operation on his hips.But he has no regrets and says at least he has done it.Many people have never attempted,let alone run a marathon before.So you are among the elite.I believe if you have run a marathon it puts you in less than the top %1 of people in the world to ever do so.Anyway wish you the best of luck!! 

• Options

Columba where are u girl?

And Josie Jump were you not around 4, 5 years ago on the Beginners bit when I was here pre broken leg? I have a feeling we may have crosed paths then? Or its just  OAP memory gone? 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Josie, hello my lovely! How the heck are you, hubby and the girls (who must be well into their teens by now)? I think the last time I saw you all was at the Brighton 10k maybe 6 years or more ago!!!
  • Options

No sign of Columba yet, we are still waiting to hear her race report. image 

I decided to try a recovery run this afternoon, but the legs were'nt having it, i could hardly bend my legs and gave it up after 1 and 1/2 miles. I don't usually run a day after a race but it seemed a waste of an afternoon  with the weather so nice.

• Options
    Managed (just) 20 miles on Sunday in 4:15. Really hard at the end. Glad to be tapering. It looks like well over 5 hours for the Great Welsh Marathon which from the racepack info means the last bit in traffic as the cut off is 5hrs. Such is life.
  • Options

JJ LOL 3 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont think could have done that 30 years ago!

Last day in France today so looking at bathroom tiles and an off road 10 to round it off. Have sold LandRover so oly borrowed little car so MrS cant transport bike down so hes going to walk. Recipe for disaster! 

But the suns shining, what bit of snow left is sparkling and alls well.

Columba, you OK?

• Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭

Hi again to Josie Jump - memories of you feeding me scrambled eggs on trailwaker - thank you again!

Hello to all - waves.

My Brighton number is 7114 and I'll be one of the last finishers - reasons too long to go into here. But I'm on the waiting list for Abingdon and ever hopeful of a clear run at training.

IW & co - is there a 'hello' point at the start of Brighton?