Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Redhead: your New Year marathon rather trumps my Parkrun aces.

HS: enjoy your well deserved rest.

WtnMel: I'm in the 'good walk spoiled' camp when it comes to golf but this is largely because in the few games I had I was pretty useless. But I can see how it could be addictive (as can Parkruns and annual mileage records!).

4 miles for me this evening - very gentle.

• Options

Morning all,

It's foggy again and 1 degree. We've got a fartlek session at club this evening, which will be the last until after Christmas.

Red, best of luck with your marathon on 2nd January. You will get lots of carbo loading over the Christmasimageimage. Hope to see a pic of you in the elf outfit which you are wearing for your Christmas Day run. I've never run on Christmas Dayimage, as I've always ensured that the Festive Period was my excuse for a short recovery. Otherwise, I would never have a break. I'm also worried that we haven't heard from IW for quite some time.

Columba, have a lovely break in London and safe journey.

JB, thanks. I always have a few days off over the Christmas. I have, however, already entered 6 races for next year, and more to come. Look forward to results and details of your festive parkruns.

• Options

I'm here Redhead, been busy making mince pies. Been having trouble also with RW, particularly the triathlon thread which seems to have been hacked, and is full of offers to get you illegal passports, ID cards etc. I've not been able to post on that thread and not get it deleted, changed or moved for almost 2 weeks so have given up with trying to log workouts. Hopefully the "new improved" RW will live up to the hype. Forgive me for not believing it until I see it.Had the final aqua-biking session on Tuesday and promptlly signed up again for the next set of classes.

John and I went to  the immigration/integration office again this morning to sign all of the paperwork for dual citizenship - just have to wait now until everything is approved, it takes 4 to 6 weeks until we hear back,so that coincides with delivery and fitting of my new kitchen!

• Options

Afternoon all,

Glorious day here when the fog cleared and have been playing outside all day (after a short maintenance plod). So many Christmas cards this year speak about ailments and bad news it's rather depressing. Just found out a neighbour is very poorly and one of my close friends has been diagnosed with a rare form of male breast cancer. Carpe diem, that's what I say image

No more bad news please. Carol singing around the Christmas tree in the village this evening image

TE, enjoy your session. There are many, many photos of me looking silly in costumes all over the interweb!!!! I love running on Christmas morning but sadly the 2 people who usually nab me and invite me in for a glass or several of champagne both passed away this year so it won't be quite the same. Still nice though.  

JB6, haha re your comments about golf! 

I'll go and check IW on FB.......

• Options

I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas. I'm off from tomorrow to 2nd Jan. I'm sure it will pass all too quickly.

I've done no running at all, but I'm sure I will in the future. 

God bless!!

• Options

Morning all,

Bright and sunny this morning and no fog!

Red, my non running friends who I no longer see, appear to be aging badly. Christmas cards have been very short of news etc. and the writing has been scrawled and difficult to read. I feel privileged to still be running.

Exhausted, have a lovely Christmas.

There was, as expected, a very low turn out last night for our fartlek session. There were just 6 of us, but we were all of a similar standard so we worked together, and put maximum effort into the speed work, especially up the hills.

I'm waiting now for a phone call from my daughter to confirm that it is still ok for me to go up tomorrow for the Christmas. She is working over the holiday period, so it may be difficult.

I went to my local supermarket this morning before 9.00 and the car park was already full. The store is only closed on Christmas Day, so I can never understand why people seem to be buying a months worth of produce. It was packed yesterday and probably will be tomorrow too.

• Options

Afternoon festive chums!

My pannetone is busy rising, my mince pies are baking, there's a sourdough loaf proving and a pasta bake waiting to go in the oven for our evening meal. I combined my morning run with delivering Christmas cards to our village then drove to the outlying villages with the remainder - off to polish my haloimage

TE, hope you have a lovely time with your daughter. My writing gets quite scrawly after a while as my arthritis is rather limiting.

Exhausted, hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your new arrival xxx

IW update, she's OK but has been having trouble getting onto the RW site again. Phew image

I suspect postings will be erractic on here for a few days so I'll wish everyone a very merry Christmas however you're spending it. Stay safe and let's hope the News doesn't get any worse (which sadly seems rather inlikely having listened to the radio at lunchtime).

I'll pop in occasionally to see who's around as some of our old chums often pop in at this time of year to check we're all still breathingimage

• Options

Afternoon all,

I'm not going away for Christmas now, as my Son has had to go to Liverpool as his Mum is very ill, and my Daughter is working all over the festive period. I'll be going in the New Year now when we will all be together. One of her dogs had to be put down a week ago and she is still upset.

I will be running over the Christmas now and getting nearer to the elusive 2,000 miles.

Glad to hear that IW is ok.

I'll say Merry Christmas to you all now as postings tend to drop off this time of the year.xxx

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

HS - I'm also hoping the new RW will be an improvement. The previous webmaster of the Rambler's website I look after was keen to upgrade it and make it 'mobile friendly' but I haven't done anything about it yet. I would ask around in your club about shrinking the photo size (I use Picasa to manage my photos but can't remember now the exact steps needed). My Garmin is a 230 but doesn't have a built-in hrm (its the 235 that does). However, the 235 uses an optical sensor and as Garmin couldn't guarantee it would always pick up the heart rate accurately I decided it wasn't worth the extra expense. Re your latest post, sorry to hear your bits of bad news and the fact you are staying home over xmas now.

Red - a hangover from singing carols - caroling or carousing? The format of Fetchpoint hasn't changed apart from Gore-rillas being replaced by tokens from other sponsors. You are supposed to report any inaccessible tokens but it is down to the individual (some may not be as honest and trustworthy as my good self). Yes, back into regular running but xmas & new year will be upsetting that for a week or so. Our xmas cards (well, Margaret's mainly) have been full of various bits of bad news.

Columba - sorry to hear the knee is achey after your recent run.

JB6 - I'm definitely in the 'good walk spoiled' camp at the moment - on average it takes me 60 strokes to get round a par 33 course.

DBI (although I suspect you may not see this?) - I see from Red's posting you've been struggling to get on to here - hope you get the problem sorted.

My postings on here will be a bit erratic over the next few days (what, even more erratic than usual I hear you all cry!). So I'll wish everyone a Merry Xmas - and add a hello to any old friends of this thread who may pop by to see what's going on.

• Options

Afternoon all,

I've been busy making the horses' field shelters all snug and nice for Christmas - that burned off some calories I can tell you! Already feeling rather stuffed from eating things I wouldn't usually eat image

TE, shame about your daughter and son but I shall share a virtual run with you tomorrow morning (between 5 and 7 miles depending on the weather) - I'll be out around 7:30am after I've fed the horses etc and I'll know if you don't wear your Santa hat so be warnedimage

WtnMel, we were singing carols with a band in the pub. Have a lovely Christmas.

JB6 sorry, I forgot to wish you good luck with your series of parkruns. I hope you end the year with a pb image

• Options

Everybody seems to be pretty busy in the run-up (no pun intended) to Christmas.

Redhead - isn't it sad that the Xmas period so often brings some bad news; I suspect the law of averages dictates that we've all had a share of this at some point, but this doesn't make it any easier when it happens.

I did the first of my series of Parkruns this morning. The temperature has taken a bit of a dive and the wind along the coast has picked up a fair bit (I'll get my excuses in early).

Anyway managed a 21:20 which is just about spot-on for my current run of form (and exactly 1 minute off a PB!). Loads of folk there today. I was edged out by a 50-54 VM and we got chatting. It turned out that he was an ex GB international 400 metre hurdler. I  have to say that this rather cheered me up and just about compensated for also being beaten by a fellow 60-64 VM.

Off to Bognor tomorrow on a twisty and narrow  (but very friendly) Parkrun course.

2 granddaughters and a mother-in-law (well you can't win 'em all!) coming tomorrow.

A very Merry Christmas to all!

• Options

RIP Rick Parfitt, the sad death of a legend.

I'll reply to the above posts later.

• Options

HS - yes - saw the Quo back in 1971 (I think) when they were at a very low point; they must have been to appear at a low-rent venue such as Worthing Pier Pavilion. I remember I climbed in via the ladies' toilet window. Probably the least pretentious rock band of their era - for that alone they Rick P deserves many plaudits.

• Options

WtnMel, I'll try cropping the photo. I think I've done that before and it worked.

Red, you remembered I wore a Santa hat two years ago for the carol singing to the oap's. I will be running tomorrow,  the first ever Christmas Day Run for me. The forest will be very muddy and flooded in places, but I intend doing a long run. I will keep a chisel handy for when I get back, to scape the mud off.

JB, another fine time in todays parkrun. It was also very cold for my road run this morning, especially round the Marina with the wind blowing off the Southampton Water. Good luck with tomorrows parkrun and also the MiL!

I ran 6.6 miles this morning on roads at an easy pace, as I was still feeling the effects from Thursdays fartlek session.

Hoping Santa brings you all some lovely presentsimage

• Options

Happy Christmas everyoneimage No Christmassy emoticons again this year. They seem to be ignoring the web, whilst concentrating on the new one. Hope it won't be full of bugs.

Off for forest run now.

• Options

Morning all,

Happy Christmas!

Got blown along on my shorter-than-usual run of 3.5 miles earlier and my elf hat nearly flew away too.

Hope you don't get stuck in the mud TEimage xxx

• Options

I too ventured out today and tackled another parkrun. Big, cheery turn-out and conditions not too bad. However a poor time for me (22:17) maybe partly explained by still having yesterday's efforts in my legs. The course is very frustrating - many tight turns with much deceleration and then acceleration. But, quite simply, a pretty ordinary effort from yours truly.

Then back to the bosom of the family which - given that it involved 2 under twos and a 90+ - was far more exhausting than the parkrun.

Tomorrow we are visiting other relatives in Seaford on the East Sussex coast. Good running territory but not for me - rest day required.

All in all - as good a Xmas Day as I have the right to expect...........although a good race performance would have made it even better.

• Options

The gremlins strike again. I had just about got to the end of my post and the whole lot vanished. I really must cut and paste, as advised by WtnMel.

A shortened version of the original now follows:-

I ran a muddy 11 miles in the forest this morning. The going was reasonable for the first 4 miles, and then came a 0.6  mile muddy stretch where I had to walk and wade. From there on, it was a mixture of good and bad, mainly bad, with very little chance of upping the pace. All in all though, I was pleased with my efforts, and for refusing to give in.

Red, I nearly got stuck in the mud many times, and was in danger of loosing my trail shoes, never to be seen again. It was also very windy during my run, and it was cold and penetrating. It certainly didn't feel  mild.

JB, well done for your back to back parkruns. Twist and turn courses always add time to runs, so your time was still very good.

I'll probably have a rest day tomorrow to recover, and am going to my Sister's for a cold lunch. My Niece will also be there with her two children, so that will be nice. 

• Options

Morning all,

Bright and sunny and will take the rest day that I promised myself.

Have a great day everyone.

• Options

HS - how near are you to the 2000 miles? Even you just miss (which I hope you don't of course) this will still be some achievement. Some of the much younger guys I see on another forum (not an RW one) are  - rightly- pretty please at reaching 1000km or 1000 miles so 2000 is terrific.

I've never calculated my annual mileage but I'd be pretty sure that I've never clocked as many as 1000 as I'm usually injured at some point(s) in the year and I've been a bit of a fair weather runner in the past.  But this year - despite the usual aches and pains - I'll manage over 40 races, including 3 duathlons which really take it out of you, well me anyway. Of course the vast majority of the 40 have been only 5ks and this puts it into perspective rather.

So 2016 has been very 'productive' and it's so good to see older guys still clocking up great mileage and impressive stats.

Off to visit relatives today, but it's my birthday tomorrow so my next competitive race will be as a 62 year old...... and the WAVA will be just that little bit more sympathetic!

• Options

JB, 1,730 so far and hope to add a few more before the end of the year. 40 races in a year is very respectable, irrespective of their length. Happy birthday tomorrow and ramp up those WAVAS!

• Options

Afternoon all,

5 miles for me this morning and it was so warm that although I started out in shorts with a long-sleeved top and vest on I had to stop and take off the lstop as I was far too hot! The wind's whipped up now so it's cooler but it certainly isn't December weather!

TE, your Christmas Day run sounded very squelchy so I hope you enjoyed your rest day today.

JB6, many happy returns for tomorrow. 22:17 for your latest parkrun sounds pretty darned impressive to me! Your tally of 40 races is jolly impressive too and please never say "only 5ks" as they were jolly fast 5ks and we all have different goals. When I was  bemoaning my lack of speed once, someone said, very wisely, that there's always someone faster/slower/older/younger/fatter/thinner/done more marathons etc etc so I should always focus on my own goals.

My annual mileage will be lower than usual as I reduced my base mileage to allow myself plenty of recovery time between marathons. I'm on 1652 at the moment so might only make 1700 this time. I haven't dipped below 1500 miles since 2006 and I firmly believe that has helped me through my multiple-marathoning this year.

• Options

Afternoon all,

I'm at my sister's with  both nieces, one nieces husband, 6 grand nieces and 2 dogs. They all have bad coughs and colds, except the dogs, so odds on, I'll catch one.

Red, very true concentrating on one's goals.

• Options

HS - that sound pretty hectic.

Redhead - 1700 miles is something I can only dream about (actually more of a nightmare). You are almost in a head-to-head with HS! Thanks for the kind thoughts...................

My parkrun time came through and it was 22:40 but I think the wonderful folk who do all the sorting and timings got it wrong. Not just because of my time but because I ended up 'in front' of two guys who actually overtook me. This illustrates need not to take things like timings, AG ratings and placings too seriously.

But I still will! image

Did about 6 miles today. Very unusually (in this winter) we had a frost. Nice to still be running at 62!

• Options

Morning all,

Happy Birthday JB6! Please don't get us started on race timings as we could whinge for hoursimage

I wish I could keep pace with TE  image

TE, hope you manage to stay germ-free but it sounds rather unlikely.

We had a bit of frost last night but only down to -2. Perfect weather for a run which I shall be doing around lunchtime to work off some of my Xmas excess!

• Options

Morning all, just.

JB, as Red says, we all have issues with timings. Mine is being beaten by gun time, when my chip timing is quicker.

Red, I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding staying germ free. It was minus 4 degrees at 9.30 this morning, when Karen and I set off for a 7.6 mile road run. It was a bit slippery in places. We both felt rather sluggish, which may party have been due to all the layers. I even wore my tracksters!

• Options

Well. On Christmas Day I put the turkey in the oven (probably the best turkey we've ever had) and stared at my pristine new running shoes untouched since buying them two months ago.... and..... gosh.... went for a run. About 8-ish miles. Everywhere probably a little less muddy than usual. Fairly effortless.

'Haven't been out the house since. It's just so nice to be at home.

Sorry to see the offspring leave this morning. It always makes me sad and slightly moist in the tear ducts.

• Options

Morning all,

A bit warmer at minus 2 and today is a rest day.

Exhausted, an excellent idea, going for an 8 mile run whilst the Turkey is cooking. Quite amazing how you can not run for ages and then effortlessly do a longish run and in new shoes.

• Options

10 miler for me today.................time to tackle the Xmas/birthday excesses. Miserably cold, dank and dreary (that's me by the way, not the weather!).

• Options

Good luck with your 10 miler today JB. should burn off 1,000 plus calories.

I've just received another badge on fetch which is the pole to pole, for running 12,430 miles. This is from September 2009, when I joined fetch. I've no idea how many miles I've run since I started in the 70's. The next target is 200 mile in a month. I've got close, but its always eluded me. Probably won't ever make it now, as I may have to eventually start reducing my mileage.