Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Totally true, certainly not very professional is it i certainly wouldn't be happy with her

Graham - forgot to congratulate you. sorry. That was a greart time and a good pb.

I'm certainly going to do a 10 mile in the next year. One of my targets lets say. There were a few i could have done this year  but some i forgot about entering and some not held on appropriate sundays. But i will do one in 2009. It will then be 20 years since my last one. Hee hee

• Options

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments, actually I have got some off road shoes, Sauconey Grid,  but wore my Brooks,  which have done 350 milesand are finished. , did not want to get the Sauconey filthy .It was quite strange really, thought the soft conditions would be great for my feet, but feet were burning at 4 miles and could not really stop and spray them, as I had no where to sit that was dry and shoes and socks were full of mud. I assume it was allthe pounding up hill.

Quite a few girls at my club, now that I have told them what I am hoping to achieve are also saying that they are plateued ( wrong spelling) out or hit the wall, and in January we are all going to do some different training. As I said to them all you do is 4 miles Tue  Fast - 5 miles Thur  Fast  - and a long run on Sun,   - Fast,  you need to do intervals, pyramids, thresholds, speed work, fartlek and easy runs of keeping your heart rate down to 65% of your WHR and I think  it is actually sinking in. So my reading books and all the information from here seems to be getting through to them, well it is to me anyway. I know the way I am going.  Thanks to everyone for your comments, it was hard to day, but have put it down to experience.

• Options

Terence, hope your dad improves soon, and can come home as planned.

Empty, sorry that Gosport was not on the cards for you today, but wise to give it a miss under the circumstances. I do hope this is just a brief episode for Liz, and her arm is better soon.

A VERY Successful week-end for the thread, with Graham's great 10M PB, and ceal's for the 10k. I also manged a PB for my half at Gosport. I don't have splits because my garmin filled up, so only 7 miles recorded, but I believe my clock time was 2:09:11, which would be just over 4 minutes faster than my previous best.

Congratulations on completing your muddy off-roader, Cathy.

Good time from you JJ, after a week of gunge. You earned your jelly!

We had grandson overnight last night, and unfortunately he had a bad cough and asthma, so not an ideal pre-race night with administering inhalers at 1am and other disturbances!

We had very little wind in Gosport really, and a nice temperature for racing, it sounds as though it was windier in Brighton.

Pammie, you do keep clocking up those miles! An impressive week's mileage from MickC too.

Glad the legs are getting back to normal, TS!

• Options
    Total mileage this week 20.42, which I am very pleased with.
  • Options

ceal
    Probably about your height, slim, short grey hair.  JJ wil probably get overexcited by all the fun and games.  There'll be tears before bedtime.

Pammie
    Good run. Can't say I'm looking forward to the long runs when I start them agaiin. 

Tracey
    Not surprised you "put your point of view" to the carer. Next time throw the toys at her, not just out of the pram.

TS
    The clubmate slowed down to keep me company but as we were 100yds from the finish a lad shouted "Sprint finish" so I didn't want to disappoint him.  image

• Options

Just to impress you all with my mileage for the week

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

ta daaaaaaaaaaaaaah

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

5.47.  image

• Options

657 miles for the year so far.

In 2005 I'd done that much in June!

Good grief. I've just had a bit of a shock!

It's nearly 2 years since I did a marathon (excluding the ultra in Feb '07).

• Options
    Diana
    More congratulations on their way to you!
  • Options

K2 - what marathon are you going to do in 2009?

• Options

Trcey G.

My friend at club is going to do Paris in 2009 as she is 59 that year and New York in 2010 as she is 60 that year, I am toying with New York in 2010, depending on my feet, will try out one or two in UK before then and then make the decision. Hey is is nice to have something to aim for. eh.image

• Options
    Cathy - will John be joining you in one of these marathons?
  • Options

Tracey
    Cape Wrath (May).

But I keep thinking about Abingdon

Beachy

Cornish.

Neolithic was good, too.

Then there's the two on Lewis and Harris, Connemara, Edinburgh.

Marathon des Sables.

And I want to do one with Roman connections as I had an idea for a race report...............

Everything above after Cornish is the wish list.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/tp-65.gif

click to enlarge

Wow, 3 PBs in one weekend, way to go ceal, Graham and Diana. Both diana and Graham hit their 2008 objectives.

ceal, your AG is way up there but it would still indicate more to come.

Graham, you need to find a 5k to make the hat trick of greens.

The golden bucket has to go to Diana with 4 greens !!!!!!

If you have forgotten a green is when you hit your 2008 objective and you will note I haven't met any, must make them a little easier next year.

• Options

JJ - I have now completed two weeks of my new training. I ran 5 days this week.image I was going to ask you to bring some cake back for me.

Mick - I am going to try hard to pb next year, not sure about getting any greens thou.

• Options
    K2 - You must train a bit this year and do Beachy. It is just not the same without you there.  Must do Abingdon again one year, it was my first race and that is how I ended up on this thread with all you lovely lot.
  • Options
    K2 - Bernard did a u turn and went over a man hole cover on todays bike ride and fell of his bike.
  • Options

Diana
    very well done - excellent return for your improved and increased training. That's quite a big chunk off - getting close to 20 sec/mile. Long may it continue - no pressure nowimage

K2
    that's a big wish list - may I suggest training or is that a bit passe nowadaysimage????

Excellent weekend for race results - now where is Impey after the infamous Barnsley 10K???

JJ
    injuries to my increasingly fragile body come with the territory of pushing the boundaries as far as I can - no point to me trying for sub optimum

Just entered a second race for February next year - the Snake Lane 10 mile near York - reputed to be a fast course - well for some it is!!!!

• Options

I've just read about the weekend's racing, and must congratulate ceal, Graham and Diana on their pbs.

I did 13 miles (run 9 mins/walk 1 min) at average 11 mins/mile with hr under 70% today, so I am well pleased. I also looked on the Singapore Half website at the course map and saw water stations at every kilometer. Typical Singaporean organisation, so no need to faff around with carrying water bottles or the camelback.

• Options

lynne
    worthwhile starting off with a bottle in your hand just in case the first few stations run dry or are too crowded when you get there - further on in the race it should not be a problem.

Your run walk technique looks to be going well though it should with your training background to date.
    when do you travel out to Singapore and how much time do you have to get over the journey??

• Options
    Lynne - will you be doing any shopping in Singapore. I remember going to Raffles hotel and having Singapore slings.
  • Options

JJ
    I had a work/life balance two uears ago. I may be about to rebalance the current one.

Tracey
    What's your new training?
    How's Bernard? Nothing broken, I hope.

TS
    One just doesn't do training. So vieux chapeau.

Lynne
    Good pace for the run/walk.

• Options

Evening again

Diana - Well done on your pb today thats a nice chunk of it.

Lynne Good long run from you today. Remind me when is Singapore

• Options

Tracey G.

Do not think John will be joining me on my future proposed Marathon, I have not told him of my intentions yet, will build up for the next 12-15 months and just let it slip, as we women kind of do.Of course he does not fly, so I would go with Girls from the club, but that is just an idea for the future.

John says he does not want to race, but I think he will, once he gets a few months under his belt, there is the Alsager (Cheshire) 5 mile (Flat) in about February 2009, so I will try to persuade him to do that one with me.

Well done everyone on their PB's this week-end.

• Options

Morning all.

K2 - I am just trying to run more day of the week and do intervals.

Cathy - I will not tell John if he comes on here image

• Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭

Morning everyone.

Not surprised that not many of you remember me as I haven't been around much.
    But I am now back in the land of the running and last week ran five days for a total of 38.4k (23.9 miles).

Backtracking a bit... I had six days off the week before because the physio told me to rest my pulled quad muscle and she gave it three painful massages during that time. Seems to have done the trick as I haven't had a twinge out of it, even after African dance on Saturday.

The thread seems to be hitting new heights, with three pbs yesterday if I counted correctly. Well done to Diana, ceal (and onward to sub-45!) and Graham (I love that Bill Oddie film of the starlings too). And well done to Pammie and Lynne on the long runs.

Special thoughts to MT (and I hope Liz hits a good patch soon) and to Impey's Marg.

Not sure where I'm going with my running at the moment. Neck is no better after three months of physio, on and off, and it gets me down sometimes. I suppose I'm "in training" for my LT test, which is still on for early December, so I'll have a go at some speedwork this week and see if everything holds together. Can my LT have fallen during the past few weeks of disrupted running?

• Options

((((Chouette)))) It is lovely to have you back on here. Sorry tto here that you are still in pain.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Diana
    excellent result, what more can I say! How much of the Gosport half was by the coast?

Pammie
    more dedicated miles from you yesterday.

K2
    that is quite a list.

Chouette
    hello stranger! Pleased to hear the quad has been sorted. But not pleased to hear that the neck has not, there must be something going on in the body lower down that is having an influence on your neck. It sounds as if your neck is compensating for something else which is not quite in balance. BTW I don't think I said sub 45 mins, I believe I meant 45 mins.

Graham
    I omitted to mention the starlings yesterday. What was the noise like?

Lynne
    I can't help thinking that you would be better to be running continually on your long runs(you are well able and competent so to do), THEN when you get to Sinapore you can revert to 9 mins run and 1 min walk and reap the benefits. You don't need to practise the run walk. You don't want to make it a habit, do you?   

No official results as yet. I realise why my Garmin measured 6.24 miles, the .4 would be the bit I had to run after the gun went and before I crossed the line. Not far but enough. There was nothing on the course to interfere with signals. Gym today, although Simon did say he would see how I was before embarking on a tough programme.

• Options

Chouette - that's so annoying about your neck - but sometimes these things take just a lot of time to heal no matter how they are treated

Pammie - Singapore Half is on Sunday Dec 7th. I'll be flying out on the Thursday, arriving on the Friday, with time to pick up my race number on Saturday.

TS - As my aim is just to finish the race without doing myself a mischief from dehydration, exhaustion or any other nasties, I think I might use some of those many water stations as mini walking breaks. I'll still be a bit jetlagged, but by the 2nd or 3rd day I'm usually fairly OK.

Tracey - I shall be up and down Orchard Road with my credit card visiting every mall in Singapore - not for the electronics or the fashion, but they do have fantastic DVD bargains and Japanese books.