Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Good morning

NRD

K2 - You could actually combine the last two in one activity: skydiving, don't take a 'chute and it's sorted. image It's what's called going out with a bang.

al the best
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

K2
    You are mad, but I guess that is why we like youimage

NZC
    I forgot to thank you for the gymnastic link. What an incredible body that lady has.

Impey
    I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your book. I am awaiting mine to arrive courtesy of the publishers in Canada. Nothing as yet.

Columba
    I think it is always good to know where one is getting one's meat from. One can always ask in the butchers, they usually know the source and how the animals are kept etc. However, we have no butcher's in East Grinstead. I think there is one in a village near by but I haven't had time to check it out as yet. I MUST make time.

Mick6
    I hope your daughter is feeling more comfortable now.

It looks like Feb through the window today. I will be running later. Visitors arriving later. Tonight's dinner will consist of Pea and  Mint soup with crumbled prosciutto (already made and tastes good) followed by pan fried salmon with anchovy and rosemary sauce. Desert is bought ice-cream, the choice is Raspberry Pavlova or Salted Caramel with Belgian Chocolate. I have tried the raspberry one and it was delicious.  

Stewart is on holiday from tomorrow until 16th April, which is 10 days holiday but only takes 4 days out of his annual holiday. Actually it is carried over from last year. He is going to do LOADS of jobs, luckily he enjoys doing them and is good at them too.  image

• Options

good morning

K2
    MADimage!! Try a balloon trip instead of wing walking

Impey
    doubles now is itimage? Nice to have a similar aged guy in the club for comparative purposes

JJ
    you owe us all that half mile..........
    Your looks haven't changed muchimage!!

Diana
    that was a very good 5K time on the back of a long run - you are a lot fitter than you are giving yourself credit for.

Graham
    really good run from you - was there any reaction the following day??
    Your weather arrived just as we were going out to dinner!!!!

Columba
    easily within reach now

Mick6
    you sound, and look from the stats , as though you are progressing very well - good going. Targets for this year??

Ceal
    Very tough session on the treddie - I am still in awe of all this jumping on and off!! How long is the belt bed of the treddie? I would have visions of going out the back door if I tried it!!
    If that's how you feed all your guests I think I may have to wangle an invitation image

Dinner went off very well thanks - apart from snow!! Drove there, got a taxi back and then ran the next morning in hail, snow, sleet and gusty freezing wind to pick up the car, mildly regretting that I had rather too much of the bottle of Fleurie with the meal - and a few other drinks after. Legs were ok - head rather less so.

This morning dawned calm and sunny but bloomin' cold - white frost everywhere.
    Ran 1. 5 miles as warm up to arrive at my 1/4 mile rep path which fortunately was bathed in sunshine. Even though my fingers could scarcely work the Garmin buttons!!

1/4 mile reps with 60 second passive rests - usual slight downhill/back up

1 1:25 (5:52m/m) avhr 134 max 151 - too fast I will pay for this
    2 1:46 (6:46m/m) avhr 143 max 157 - I was right!!
    3 1:29 (5:58m/m) avhr 137 max 154
    4 1:44 (6:47m/m) avhr 137 max 156 felt a lot easier which persuaded me into another
    5 1:28 (5:57m/m) avhr 137 max 153 mmm maybe one more??

Ran 20 yards on the next rep and realised that there was nothing there so swerved off onto the freshly cut grass for a cool down mile in the bright sun so that the assembled crowd (4 dogs and their owners ) would not think I had chickened out. After all I had my Adizeros on - poser or what??

Finished with 2.5 miles in total by the time I got back home in 23:27 with avHR132 and a max of 144 in very pleasant sunshine.

Pleased to feel my glutes working during the reps - my physio had predicted that ( she is a clever girl!!) - no pain as such, just muscles saying - "hey big boy we have finally woken up and are going to contribute to this effort"
    It is amazing what a difference the slope makes to the m/m pace of each rep. All I need is to run 13 miles at the fastest 1/4m pace...........................................
    Maybe I will just settle for a mile!!!

• Options
    the cycling just keeps getting betterimage !!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    Poor headimage. Well done with your reps this morning, cor those downhill ones are speedy. I had to giggle at the cut short rep (I know that feeling of nothing left in one's legs) and then swanning onto the grass, pretending that was  your intention all alongimage. I also know that feeling that one's glutes are working hard, both during the running and afterwards too. For me it is a fairly new experience too. The treadmills at the RS are designed especially for jumping on and off. One jumps on/off to the side. There is no rail at one side and a platform to land on. One jumps on and holds the bar at the front of the belt then let go and off one goes. Then before jumping off, hold the bar before jumping off and not letting go until one's feet are on the platform.  

You are welcome for dinner anytimeimage.

Pammie
    I hope you are feeling more energised today, with more sleep obtained somehow.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

This is a complaintimage

Bring back Spring please, whoever it was that took it away.

I hardly dare complain when I look at the temps that TS ran in this morning, BUT I found it very cold out this morning, it was no where near freezing conditions BUT there was no sunshine. It is grey and there is a stiff cold wind. I still wore shorts but had on 2 long sleeved tops and wasn't too hot at all.

I ran 5.11 miles in 47.45 mins, av pace 9.20 mm, av HR 119. Actually, I most likely ran a little faster than that, I am noticing that a the trees are coming into full leaf that down my trail there are many times that my Garmin looses it's signal. The graph looks very busy with it's ups and downs.   The splits are too boring to put into print, there are a couple of 8's amongst the mix. Also the usual interference at the start of my run, which I think must be the new mobile mast which does not help my mobile one jot!

The trail today was banked with wild anemones and some primroses and I spotted some shy violets too. If only we could have had a couple of days more sunshine then I would have had some peonies out for Easter.

• Options

Ceal
    I'll just get my coatimage 

Having something to hang onto when transferring to/from the treddie will make it a bit easier.

I wimped out this morning and wore tights, a base layer top and a techie tee which was about right once I warmed up - apart from my hands and as long as I stayed in the sunshine!!
    Nice pace from you for so little HR despite the Garmin annoyance.
    My reps this morning gave two at 0.25 miles, two at 0.26 miles and one at 0.24 miles despite all being between exactly the same markers on open ground with no trees or buildings. Last time they were all 0.25 miles.

Nice bit of flower spotting this morning -  we have loads of primula out in the garden and even a couple of bluebells in sheltered spots but the peonies are a long way off flowering. Aubretia is spectacular, masses of flowers.

Hey when posing in Adizeros one must keep up appearances but have you seen these bad boys - if I ever get running properly again I may just have to get a pair - my current ones fit like a glove and felt like the closest thing to barefoot running possible when I ran on the grass this morning

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

T-S-Good speedy work there,like the link about the shoes especially to run sub 3hr marathon and 38min 10k if only you had to do was buy them and get those times would be great,

Ceal-Really looks a meal worth running for,lucky guest.your certainly running well and all looks good for track season.

Will venture out tonight for a 8/9mile run,gloves back on i think.
    Going to run 15miles tomorrow @9.09pace with a few clubmates that want to rehearse there marathon pace,not sure how ive been roped into that one  

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

TS,
    Ouch those 1:25 s are quick. I would do some serious damage if I tried that.
    Yes progress is good and the pickups seem to be doing their thing as I am getting smoother each time. It will soon be time to try some more intense 400 intervals

Busbar,
    if it was that easy to run fast we wouldn't be doing it.

JJ,
    Tough workout, could you have managed it so that the wind was behind you for the fast bits.

ceal,
    I always find your HR so incredibly low, even when I am just walking I would get up to those numbers.
    Thanks for asking about the youngest and yes she is progressing and handle it well. She has exams next week so this is a reading week.

K2,
    You should do one of those African mountain climbs where there is no air.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

I did an easy 12.75k yesterday and another speed session today.

11:17 Thursday, April 05, 2012
    Gym10.5k, 3c, sun, v windy, Pickups 4x short 2x long, felt smooth

Total Run Duration = 54:24,  Run Length = 9.3 Kms or 5.8 Miles

Selected Lap Detail
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
     07     01:44     0.4        0.2      04:22      07:01        74.8        84.4       94.0        1.22
     09     01:44     0.4        0.2      04:24      07:05        73.5        85.7       92.0        1.23
     11     01:42     0.4        0.2      04:28      07:11        74.1        85.7       93.0        1.20
     13     01:42     0.4        0.2      04:18      06:55        74.1        87.1       94.0        1.23
     16     03:32     0.7        0.5      04:44      07:37        82.3        87.1       90.0        1.17
     18     04:37     1.0        0.6      04:38      07:27        83.0        87.1       89.0        1.21

Totals and averages for selected Laps
    Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
     06     15:05     3.3        2.1      04:32      07:18        78.6        86.4       91.2        1.21

Felt much smoother so nearly done with pickups.

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

I have been keeping up with the postings but just haven't found the energy to post - poor excuse I know.

Went to the physio. She thinks I have damaged the meniscus (sp?) in my left knee, the plan is to treat it with a course of physio work (exercises) for about eight weeks, then re-assess and if no real improvement then an op might be called for image. I was told I mustn't try and run as I'm limping too much !!

Liz has received her appointment, well 3 consulations, up in Oxford for the end of May so hopefully we will get some definitive answers then.

Despite more work from the builder being required we are reasonably well sorted now, if not unpacked, in the bungalow. We managed to get some free solar panels fitted, through the government scheme, so hopefully that will reduce the bills slightly.

Looks like I might need to learn how to pump my tyres up on my bike if it could be 8 weeks plus before I can don the running shoes again.

Hope you all have a good Easter.

Mike

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    I forgot to answer your question about objectives.
    As you know my training is focused on the half and I had hoped to do one this spring but I am no where near ready. I can obviously run the distance with no problem but I am not fast enough.
    I will run a few 5 and 10ks first as I progress my speed work with a target half race in September. I want to have a shot at getting under 1:40.
    I do not have a hard wired plan, I progess to the next stage based on how I am doing. I am ready for somw intense short stuff. After that I will start on the fun stuff, the longer intervals at 10k pace.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    MT,
    Sorry to hear about the knees but the bike will help as I know from experience.
  • Options

Empty,

Sorry to hear about your knee meniscus trouble.  Lets hope the op can be avoided by a  successful physio exercise course.   Must be hard not being able to enjoy your running in the meantime.

TS,

Great bursts of speed there in your intervals.  Just what I'd like.....in my dreams image

JJ,

Good fast miles with the headwind hindrance.  I can only manage 1/4 mile sub 9s just now.

• Options

Good improvement in weather giving us some sunshine and wind moderating this afternoon. A little warmer too so I wore shorts and a couple of light tops.  Run made more enjoyable with the song birds that could be heard along the way.   I am always glad to hear the solitary song thrush during the second mile, there just doesn't seem to be many thrushes around these days. Other birds  heard were several chiff-chaffs which seemed to be more prolific than the great tits today, also chaffinch, wren,  blackcap and the all the year round Robin, ( sounds like a horse racing bet).
    I mention these birds because we never see or hear the likes of those I encounter down at the park in our own gardens.    All we ever get are sparrows, wood pigeons, a dunnock, blackbirds and a couple of doves.  Infrequently a robin comes to the bird table.

Set off with warmup miles on rough trail and pit trail before joining my regular haunt the lakeside path/trail.   12.29,  11.19, 10.52.  Then time for five quarter mile intervals:-

0.27m.......2m.20s....8.48 pace
    0.25m.......2m.14s....8.46 pace
    0.26m.......2m.18s....8.53 pace
    0.25m.......2m.10s....8.35 pace
    0.25m.......2m.11s....8.37 pace

In between them either walk/ran or slow ran for a minute or min and half.

Finished off with 0.75m steady run back to car. On way back paused to chat to a lady who was walking with a beautiful long haired mini dachsund.

Total miles  5.75

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Ceal - ooooh - that sounded like a lovely meal. Any leftovers?image

There are some very fast gentlemen on this thread. 

2 and a bit miles warm-up followed by 20 x 30-second hill reps.  30 seconds is now taking me slightly further than it used to, at least in the first 5 or so reps. It was raw cold when I set out, the damp sort that gets into your bones. I wore warm tights, 3 layers on top, and gloves. After the warm-up I took off the top layer and the gloves. Towards the end of the session the sun came out which cheered everything up a bit. There is snow on the hills but here we're below the snow-line. 

• Options
    Ceal - it wasn't me who posted the gymnastic lady, I just commented on it. You are still going hard out at the running school, hope you reap your rewards in your first track race of the season.

Torque Steer - love those "bad boys" - shoes that is!!

JJ - lovely sighting of a Kingfisher.

I had a dread going into this morning's run, kept on waking up during the night. The group I run with were doing the longest run of the buildup - 22 miles, and it is a very hard, very hilly one. I wasn't sure whether I should do it or not, but thought, nothing ventured.....

There turned out to be quite a group of us at 6am, with quite a few "ring-ins". We were very lucky to have a lady who is now in her '70s, a former great marathoner, load up her car with drinks and sweets for the runners and she stopped and dished out supplies at various intervals.

I was very happy with my run, just hope it wasn't my marathon! Though knees and feet really feeling it by the finish, 'cause what goes up must come down, and I think my knees took a fair hammering!

I'll just have to wait to see how I recover in the next few days.
  • Options
    Good morning

5.09M; 1:03:26.6; 12:27/M;
    1 12:24.4 1.00 12:24
    2 12:19.1 1.00 12:19
    3 12:46.8 1.00 12:47
    4 12:44.3 1.00 12:44
    5 12:23.7 1.00 12:24
    6 0:48.3 0.09 8:41
    1°C

Back to freezing, appropriately clad. Not too bad o/a except that the '3rd mile syndrome' seems to have extended itself into the 4th mile as well.

Ho hum, 'twas ever thus image

al
  • Options

good Easter morning

Thanks for kind comments on my intervals - once I overcome the initial inertia my enhanced body weight just keeps me rollin' alongimage

JJ
    good spot - I have only once seen a kingfisher in the UK. When we were in S Africa they used to perch on our hotel veranda railing!!!
    Got to feel the bumps once in a whileimage

Empty
    bad news about the knee - a definitive diagnosis and course of action would help!! If surgery is necessary you may find recovery is a lot faster that JJ suggests because the techniques have been refined so much over the last few years with new instruments and robotics to control surgery.

Mick6
    your pick ups look fine - where is your avHR as a % of WHR which is always the test of how hard one is working?
    i would think you have enough aerobic strength for a HM now?

Impey
    it is nice to hear the birds when out running - but not at 0500 outside my bedroom window!!! The mistle thrush seems to be the worst culprit and he is very raucous!!
    Very consistent set of intervals there - it must have been interval day!

Columba
    encouraging signs of progress when you can run further for the given time. Nice to see.

NZC
    gulp!!! 22 miles - not surprised you were having nightmares in anticipationimage. However what doesn't kill us makes us......................................................knackered!!!!

Busbar
    you obviously nodded at he wrong time when drinking a pint!!

I did 5.1 miles at your proposed pace this morning in 45:05 (8:55m/m) with avHR138 (72%WHR) and a max of 152

1m 9:16 avhr 130
    2m 8:12 avhr 136
    3m 8:54 avhr 140
    4m 9:10 avhr 142
    5m 9:07 avhr 146 Hipps Hill

Legs a bit tired after yesterday so this was just about recovery and pushing the limits a bit. First time since coming back that I have run 5 days in a row so quiet pleased overall.
    However Ceal ran at an avHR 20bpm lower than mine and we used to be virtually identicalimage

• Options
    sorry aws - missed you!! Nice to see the cold being spread around a bit - it should have sharpened you up!!!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    TS - love your 2nd mile image
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

AWS-A bit nippy this morning first thing thats for sure

NZC-Well done on your long they certainly are killers

Empty-Sorry your having so much injury problems

T/S-Good run and your hr just rose slightly with every mile

Ran 8miles last night 1-10 av pace 8.51 mile,this morning ran 15.75miles in 2.20hours av pace 8.56
    Not going to attempt this again as i am totally wrecked

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Ceal thanks more human today, yesterday i slept till 1pm i did wake up before but went back again. TBH i could have sayed longer but jumped out of bed it wa late enough. Don't normally mind but it would mean getting to bed earlier that night would be tricky. Wasn't tll gone 2 o clock i got to bed his morning. Up at 10:40. It was a text that woke me but was grateful for that

NZC impressive long run. Well done. And lovely of the former great marathoner with all the goodies

Today i went out on my bike hoping for a long run and thinking i'd done 15 as my longest before - EVER wanted to do at least that ended up doing 16½. Looked at my log my previous longest was 12.78 miles last August so happy with today. Will try and do a short run later but no promises image

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

evening

Did get to run 3.16 miles

splits
    11:17
    10:23
    9:37
    1:53 (10:09 pace)

hills in places

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/14096/Gallery/run6-4-12.png

Oooh didn't think i could do that

Why is mile 3 a bit faster? after about 400-500 metres ish purposedly lift feet off the ground and continued for rest of mile just slowing a bit for the last 016. Was puffing a bit when i finished though

• Options

good morning

Pammie
    very pretty graph - looks like you had a lot more downhill than uphill in mile 3 which helped plus more effort!!

Busbar
    Not surprised you are wiped out after those two sessions - I am having a rest day today!!
    HR drift is unacceptable at my pace yesterday but unfortunately understandable at my current levels of training comeback

Tracey
    thanks - that's what a little downhill for 1/4 mile can do for oneimage

We had all the family for dinner yesterday - fortunately the rain stayed off until after the great Easter Egg hunt in the garden was completedimage
    Traditional roast leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary image

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good day,

All visitors gone now until Monday. The interaction between visiting dog and our cat was interesting. Fluffy was definitely the master but no real war was declared. But I don't think fluffy slept much over night. Whereas the poodle slept in a very contented way.

TS
    I like the look of the bad boy shoes. The RS are going to be stocking Adidas so I hope to try some when they come in. Your training is going well. Enjoy the trad leg of lamb. I hope you didn't find all the Easter eggs. 

JJ
    I hope the tight calf is getting better.

NZC
    I am not surprised that you were dreading the 22 miler, you knew what to expect. I don't suppose you feel it is a challenge any more having done so many, so it was good that your were well looked after by the kind gentleman.

busbar
    Another mad personimage. Well done anyway.

Empty
    What a bore, I hope you get a proper diagnosis very soon. I hope all goes well for Liz.

Columba
    More hill reps from you, the weeks are passing by very quickly indeed.

Pammie
    You are right into your cross training these days.

Impey
    A very nice set of 400's, especially the last one. image

When visiting Turkey I have been lucky enough to see many Kingfishers. Also near to Guildford at Loseley Hall there are Kingfishers in the area of a very sheltered, sunny stretch of water.