Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

I meant to say, thanks for the comments about my injury. I don't plan any other exercise just yet John and am happy to have a complete break for a while. I agree with Mick's point about injuries only to be expected in one's late sixties but the funny thing is that I went through for several years until quite recently with only minor niggles only to be hit three times in a year with three quite significant ones. Anyway, I can feel a bit of improvement, which is encouraging. Not risking running again though any time soon until I'm sure it's a whole lot better.

Ray, that was a good 10-miler at a nice pace for a hilly route. Strong finish too. Looks like you're over your half-marathon exertions.

John, another good parkrun. I was born and brought up about 15 miles from Windsor and have been there quite a few times over the year. I can recommend the Windsor Half Marathon which is run in the grounds of the Great Park. I did it a few years ago and apparently Fergie was watching as one of her daughters was taking part.

Columba, yes, it's easy to get a bit obsessed with mileage targets. 

Mick, it must be a bit frustrating this time of year not to be able to be outside as often as you'd like, especially when you're running well.

• Options

Hi

mysterious goings on!

I posted earlier in the week - alright, it wasn't the greatest work of prose ever from my keyboard but it should have had you salivating at what I had eaten and drank whilst away at Sharrow Bay but it has all disappeared!!

Ah well here is the scene from our bedroom window overlooking Ullswater

/members/images/126536/Gallery/Dec_2016_comp..jpg

/members/images/126536/Gallery/Dec_2016_comp._0.jpg

well maybe not - as it doesn't like uploading pics any more either-  but it did upload second time around.

Graham
    groin strain tend to only manifest themselves under maximum load. I had one many years ago when playing rugby/football and it would feel fine until i suddenly accelerated or turned sharply - then it would twang again (technical term that!)
    NIce work going over 1,000 miles despite your layoffs. As I said I don't hink it is an age thing but moer working at the limits becuase of increased fitness - and the need for speed!!

MIck
    well done on being pain free - that must be soooo good, he says enviouslyimage
    Were you blowing the froth off their cappuccinos with your powerful fans? 
    certainly looks like winter has caught up with you now

Ray
    good training sessions going on - what is the next race/target?

John
    Nice journey!!!
    Those elusive seconds will just have to come off - no Xmas pud for you!!

Columba
    good to hear that your knee has settled down - I may be tempted not to have anyone else look at it as they could start it off again if it is a bit of foreign body floating around

Hectically busy this week and only a couple of plodded runs fitted in.
    this morning was clear and bright and slight icing sugar powdering of snow/frost over the distant hills that I used to run to and over (an age ago now it seems!!) encouraged me to stir my body and do 5.12 miles in a sedate 48:07  (9:23m/m) - further than I have run for a while

08:57
    09:00
    09:17
    09:25
    10:39
    00:55

hill still kills me off 

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Columba-Really good news about your knee,nice couple of runs.

John-well done on a fast time,i am sure you will go sub 21 with the training for a half marathon.

Graham-well done on mileage and a rest will do you no harm.Funnily I have never kept a log of my running which a lot of people find strange.

Mick6-A wind assisted run is that cheating?Glad you a running pain free.

TS-Sounds a nice scenic scene for your run.Have no race plans as such,i want to do a parkrun and get under 23mins,i think I could just do it but it would have to be a flat course and feel right on the day.

Afraid no run for me today as on the beer yesterday and have bad hangover.All the fault of Christmas get togethers and not being able to say no.

• Options

TS - looks lovely. But no fell running while you were there??

Graham - funny, we went past Windsor Great Park and I thought "looks like a great place for an event!"

Ray - re. the parkrun, you have lots of choice. There must (law of averages) be a flat one somewhere in London.

I ended up doing 10 miles rather than the 8 planned and have hardly moved a muscle since - other than those involved in eating! (Sorry TS - don't think I'll be resisting many temptations over Xmas.)

• Options

TS, I enjoy a nice meal too but suspect the view from your window would have me more envious than the food, especially as I'm guessing most of it wouldn't have been veggy! Great to see you running over 5 miles.

Ray, a sub-23 minute parkrun must be well within you on the right day. Best to stay off the beer the day before though!

John, that 10 miler will be good for your HM training. Well done.

• Options

TS - the "expert" I'm seeing is not going to be peering inside my knee. Apparently he does a gait analysis and then advises on the basis of it, - exercises etc. I've got an hour with him, so plenty of time for in-depth stuff. But not into the depths of my knee. Lovely picture from your window.

Ray - hope you've recovered from the hangover. Burgess Park is one of the flattest, if you're looking for a fast parkrun. I've done it twice, and got my parkrun pb there, mainly thanks to Middle Son, having finished, running back and running with me and saying "speed it up, there's only another 100m to go". He was lying, there was a lot more than 100m, but it speeded me up. 

4 miles done today. Knee aching a little but not really uncomfortable. 4 miles takes me to the town lake, once round it and back home. The distance round the lake is almost exactly a km, and it's flat, so I try and push it a bit.

• Options

good morning

John
    as the immortal lady of the screen said "darhling, I can resist anything - except temptation"
    It's always good to find oneself doing a bit more than planned, even if you have to live with the after effects

Graham
    actually the veggie's were well catered for - one of our friends is vegetarian and her food looked delicious, I have to admit that on some occasions it looks pretty naff!!

Ray
    with your recent times over 400m intervals you should have no difficulty in going under 23 min -in fact I suspect you will be closer to 21 min.
    I ran 22:20 off 400m times that were slower than yours the last time (last year!)  I was fit enough to do a Parkrun and you have a lot of strength in your legs already from the distance work you have done.

Columba
    I didn't mean to suggest he was going to open you up!!
    It's just that any manipulation to provoke a reaction may lead to a longer period of discomfort afterwards
    I have seen that at first hand after my wife has had a consultant appointment!!

A bit like Ray we had popped out yesterday to see a couple who were going off on a cruise over Christmas and have a swift drink with them in the local. When we were there we bumped into some more friends and it turned into a bit of a session so this morning was a recovery run in more ways than one as I went to pick up my car. Fortunately it was a bright, clear morning, unlike my head, as I did 4 easy miles in 40 min - and I didn't have to run up Hipps Hill on the way back eitherimage

• Options

MIck
    There was a nice explanatory map on the weather news this morning explaining what a polar vortex is and how your weather affects our weather.
    The cold air over north America extends down to South Carolina and it produces lots of energy which is transferred into the jet stream which is currently blowing at 240mph - so swift flights from west to east!!!
    We are going to have rain dumped on us shortly as a consequence but none of the white stuff

• Options

TS - not sure my fences can cope with 240mph wind, but I'd sure like to do a race with it behind me; I might even break the 20 mins barrier!

• Options

Columba - just got around to checking the bridge incident on the Heart of Wales line that I mentioned in a previous posting. Please see link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glanrhyd_Bridge_collapse

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Track session tonight and the temperature has dropped,although you wouldn't have thought so looking at the youngsters in shorts and t-shirts.

Session was a little bit erratic pacing wise as I picked to fast a group to start with.Started with the 21min 5k group but changed to the 23min group.

Workout 4x800 4x400 with 200m recoveries between reps and 400m recovery between sets.

800s were 3:20--3:21--3:34--3:32--400s were 1:37--1:42--1:42--1:32

• Options

TS - no, I didn't mean literally look inside my knee. But there's not going to be any manipulation either, it's more a case of looking at whether and how my running can be adapted to minimise the problem.
    I thought that quote was Oscar Wilde originally?

4 miles last night with the running club. Again, knee aches a bit today but easing off as the day passes.

John B - thank you for the link. Yes, it was just a month after we moved to Wales, and we were probably still preoccupied with getting sorted out and the news didn't make much impact; indeed, had probably barely registered that there was a railway line close by.

There's lots of nice veggie food around. My daughter - whom I'm going to tomorrow - has been veggie for years (but my son-in-law isn't, so turkey will be available for Christmas as well as whatever she and the grand-daughters have) and frequently serves up delicious meals.

Probably won't be in touch again until I get back home on 28th; so have a lovely Christmas all of you and run off as many of the extra calories as you can.

• Options

Ray: looks like (another) quality session.

I've got my Xmas/New Year training/competing sorted out now: 5 Parkruns on 4 courses, including a double on New Year's Day. I'm planning to do one completely new course.

If this all works out plus a couple of training runs between the 2 weekends then I should at least make a bit of space for all the extra grub/drink that will inevitably be consumed. (I saw a stat once that the average Brit consumes 6-7K of calories on Xmas Day.)

4 gentle miles for me this evening.

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

John-you certainly have your parkruns sorted that's enough speed work for a month.Going to try do one myself on Saturday as a lot of club mates will be doing it.

Run this morning was all the sixes 6.66 miles av pace 8:45. 

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Ray,

Another good session from you.

John,

Wow that is some race schedule, here is hoping that nothing falls off.

Even more snow here, but at least it is warmer so I have managed to run outside most days.

My garmin 405 keeps dying on me so I treated myself to a 235 with built-in hrm.  One big attraction for me is that garmin provide a development package free. This allows me to write my own software that will run on the device. I will be able to customize the display to show exactly how and what I want to display.

Garmin have created a new programming language that I will have to learn but it should stop my brain from going to sleep completely.

Mick

• Options

Ray: have you decided the one you are going to do yet? This could have a bearing on your time!

Mick: yes the schedule does look a bit daunting, but I'll try not to run them all flat out.....although the red mist of competitiveness tends to take over, especially as I want to preserve my 'win ratio' if I can. I bet the new Garmin is right up your street.

Yet another lovely day here today; it can't last and it won't last as the strong winds will hit us soon - another storm due ('Barbara' - see below*) although it's mainly going to hit the far north.

Today I took advantage of the weather and thought I'd run a few quick 1ks on the prom - the km markers are now stencilled. This plan didn't go too well when I realised that I couldn't locate them! (It only takes another prom user to walk on or near them that completely obscures them.) This was a tad frustrating but I am so random in my training that I don't think I can complain.

*On a personal note which I'll share, my mum died earlier this year and her name was indeed Barbara. She loved Xmas and I'm just wondering if it's her fury at missing it that has unleashed the storm - in her name!

• Options

good day

Ray
    training coming along nicely with another pacey session.
    I checked back and I was running 1 x 3 mile intervals, not trusting myself to too much speed, in 7 minutes with a 400m jog recovery which got me the 22:20 for 5K so you should be well under 22 min off what  you are doing

John
    now that is a schedule of Parkriuns.
    the problem you have is that, being a lightweight, you will only burn off 80-100 calories per mile whereas my heft gets me up to 150 cals/mile
    If you had a Garmin you could do your miles/kms anywhere you wantimage 
    Well I hope Barbara doesn't  bring you any misfortune - you should have motherly protection!!

Mick
    let me know how your HRM function performs. Mine is playing up on the Garmin 405 - it may just need a new chest strap as it is looking  a bit frayed.

I ran 4 miles this morning in 38:07 (9:31m/m)  and reluctantly decided that my achilles wasn't ready for a  5k on Saturday.
    It is improving slowly adn I am almost pain free when I run, but not when I get out of bed, but it would be a waste to jeopardize its recovery now for a few more weeks of being sensible - unusual words from me I know.  But I haven't done any faster work at all and running with my son may just have got this non-competitive soul going a bit faster than he should!!

• Options

TS - it's that first walk downstairs that gets me in the morning.................but it's a good ploy to get Mrs JB6 to make the tea!

• Options
    WD60WD60 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Work has been very hectic but finally calming down.

I did 5.25 miles on Sunday but only managed a 2miles and a three miles on Tuesday and Thursday.

I am away from tomorrow till the New Years in warmer climes so hope to get some better running in.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. 

• Options

WD60, same to you and enjoy your holiday which you've earned from the sound of it.

• Options

I'll of course add my Season's Greetings to all. Parkrun for me today -21:20 which is about right. Went off a bit too quickly and suffered a little after the turn. Huge field today - including (I'm sorry to say) a very quick 60-64 VM!

1 run done, 4 to go!

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

John,
    Very consistent time, well done.

TS,
    I ran with my new garmin today but unfortunately it was on the treadmill as we had yet more snow. It calibrates itself but you have to run with gps on for it to do that and I have not had a chance to do that.
    I finished up with an amazing run at a 4:00 min per k pace over 12 km. 

The hrm seems very consistent and much smoother than my 405.

/members/images/276722/Gallery/RunHR_29.jpg

It looks right as I picked it up over the last mile.

I will do a few more runs outside and report back.

Not a bad week for me around 40k again.

Merry Christmas to all.

Mick

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

John-Well done on your run today,it will be interesting to see how all your times pan out.Well I never made it to parkrun as I could not find my barcode.This seems a lame excuse I know but I will make it to one,i can't leave it another seven years.

Mick-I have a garmin 405 so its quiet old.Will look forward to your opinion on your new watch, as I may get one if all goes well.

Merry Christmas Everyone

• Options

Mick - 4 min kms sound pretty damn good to me!

Ray - shame about missing the parkrun as the atmosphere alone make it worth the effort.

Very ordinary time for me today in glorious (sic) Bognor Regis: 22.17. Just didn't have much in my legs; maybe a bit tired from yesterday. The course is not my cup of tea - all sharp turns and narrow paths, lots of overtaking and very difficult to 'settle'. I think I'm a bit spoiled by my local straight-as-an-arrow/flat-as-a-pancake course!

Also strange how different parkruns have varying  degrees of 'quality' runners. A little research revealed that yesterday's included: the current VM35 number 1 ranked 3000 metre steeplechaser; the current VM60 number 1 ranked 2000 metre steeplechaser; and a former GB international 400 metre hurdler, now VM50-54.

And I didn't beat any of them, but came very close to the ex-hurdler.

• Options

good morning

Happy Christmas to all our readers past and presentimage

John
    well done on your double - but in future reserve that for tots of suitable spirit!
    I think the holiday period drags out a lot of folk to take part in a Parkrun that would not normally be there 

Ray
    good one!! must try harder 

MIck
    excellent run form you - the new Garmin must make you faster!!
    Look forward to hearing how it settles in - or out as the case may be once you brave the outside world.

Christmas Day at our son's house yesterday and daughter's today so nothing to do other than eat, drink and be merry - which I managed quite sucessfully so far.
    The weather changed from warm and moist to dry, sunny, windy and cold overnight and a steady plod of 5.2 miles in 50 minutes this morning was most enjoyable once the initial lassitude caused by too much food and drink wore off!!

Set up now for more................

• Options

Morning

Merry Christmas a bit late but time ran away with meimage

I ran Christmas day,boxing day so hoping to get out today back to normal hopefully but very cold I hope not too icy for a run if so will have to have a run on treadmill! Then a walk maybeimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

I'm the birthday boy today and celebrated by doing a 6 miler (ish!) trying out a small proportion of the running clobber that I've been given as presents. Looking forward to the slightly more forgiving Age Grading that will follow when I next 'race' on Saturday.

WP - we too have a (very rare) frost today.

My latest parkrun results have just come through  from Xmas Day. I think some of the volunteers sorting the tokens and finishing times might have had hangovers as I'm sure that they've added 20 seconds or so to my time (boo!) but also awarded me a 'win' over an age group rival who I'm convinced overtook me (hurrah!). However, as far as I'm concerned anyone who gives up part of their Xmas Day to stand around in the cold so that others can enjoy a run is absolutely beyond any criticism.

• Options

John

happy belated birthdayimage!!
    The things folk will do to get their race results move up a notchimage
    Not sure how much difference one year on makes on the AG results but,as you say, every little counts.
    The race results from your parkrun were very mixed indeed!

Welshpoppy
    good to see you back - nice to see time also runsimage

I did a doubles session yesterday - 3 miles in the morning to recover from the previous day's festivities and then 4 miles in the evening with the Hash which I had planned to do very steadily. Unfortunately one of old members turned up with his family in tow including a very fast 8 year old son who blasted around the course leaving me struggling to keep up.
    At the ON IN sign he doubled his speed - well as you know I am not competitive, but I go the old fast twitch muscles working again and powered after him giving him a running commentary on just how close I was behind!!
    I just managed to restrain my self from dipping for the line (the pub door!!) and he was delighted to have beaten me. His Mum said later that he had asked her if I had really been trying to beat him, and on being reassured that I had, was very happy indeedimage

Followed that up with 5.3 miles this morning in 50 mins with a hard white frost and lovely sunshine everywhere. Perfect running conditions and it reminded me once again of William Wordsworth's only worthwhile words in the Prelude (7000 odd lines of blank verse!!) 

"Bliss was it to be in that dawn
    But to be running was very heaven"

- only slightly paraphrased!

• Options

Mick
    the frost this morning (-6C) gave me a thought about your new Garmin.
    Presumably it needs skin contact for the HRM to work so what do you do when its the sort of temperatures that you normally get in the winter over there? You wont be able to see the display??

• Options

TS - thanks for your account and re-working of the Coe v Ovett battle! I would think that the poor little lad would have been scared 'witless' when he heard your size 12s pounding up behind him. Am referring this matter to your local child protection officials! image

Went out today with this plan: run 2.5 miles slowly, then run 5 miles at a decent pace (sub 8 mm), then run 2.5 miles home slowly. 

This is what happened: first 2.5 was run slowly, middle 5 miles was delivered in 39.15, but the last 2.5 mile leg was abandoned after about half a mile. I was totally spent.

I'm hoping this isn't history repeating itself as around this time last year a similar run led me to abandon my plans to run the very same half marathon  that I plan to do this year in Feb. I sometimes have to admit that I'm just not good at, or a fan of, longer runs. I seem to be a different class of runner when I'm bombing along on a 5k as I can find that higher gear and sustain it for the 21 or so minutes. But grinding away mile after mile just doesn't suit me.

I've soon got my 3 parkruns in 2 days, so Ill review plans after I've got those out of the way. No big deal and hardly an existential dilemma but I'm just a bit frustrated with yours truly.