Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Comments

• Options
    Well dunno about anyone else but thats me started to look at the weather situation in New York on a daily basis, bbc weather, weather underground, weather.com all getting daily hits from my works PC now, hope IT department don't start their nonsense lol.

Been pretty warm over there this week, low 20's, but lookin at this Sunday its 13 degress, hardly any wind and a bit drizzly, fingers crossed its the same on the 5 Novemebr, none of this 23 degress stuff it was last year, i'll cook!!
  • Options
    Welcome HUNTY. EXHAUSTED,sorry mate I had to revise my time.The ball is in your court now.Nice to meet up again. Rowan
  • Options
    Welcome Hunty, I'm travelling on my own too and staying at the crowne plaza and sharing with dont know who. when do you travell and from which airport.
  • Options
    Hi all. Has anyone else had their stuff from 2:09? I booked hotel, flights and entry with them - I was wondering if anyone knew when we should receive our stuff?

Off out for a 6 miler now - it is flippin' peeing it down in the chilterns. I will swim home.

El C
  • Options
    El C - re 2:09, see post from Mike G above
  • Options
    Oh, I posted the message above from FMrsC's account

El C - We are travelling out with 2:09 and staying at Essex House. Which hotel are you at?
  • Options
    Please may I come along to the matinee on Saturday? I'm also in New York on the Friday and I don't really mind what I see. I may bring my hotel roomie along too - I've now met her and she seems lovely.

I'm staying at the Marriot Marquis which I think is a good omen because Marquis is a family name!

Knee seems to be feeling better - My physio is an absolute star. I've got my 4th appointment this week on Saturday and I managed to do 4 miles on the cross trainer without too much discomfort.

I was thinking about finding somebody with a similar injury on their right knee (mines on the left) and suggesting we team up and do it 3 legged ie combine the two dodgy legs to make one good leg? I think I could win it that way!!!! LOL

You can email me so we can pass on mobile numbers charlottefoster@hotmail.co.uk

PLUS is anybody from County Durham, Teesside or North Yorkshire who has a good story to tell about why they're running? If you are PLEASE give me an email and I can try and get you on BBC Radio Cleveland. Dizzy heights I know!
  • Options
    Been trying to build my leg strength up a bit by biking but now Ive developed a flatty. Unfortunately, I dont know how to change it ..d'oh!

Mp3 users..you MUST repeat MUST get The Rocky Soundtrack..if you can get over laffing at it initially.It really gets you going.

Went to Cheshire Oaks today to buy some essential Nike wear for NY..really felt like I was on my way today
  • Options
    Catherine, Lynne, Charlotte and room mate! sounds like we will have a nice little crowd for our Saturday Broadway matinee show!
    I too will be in New York on the Friday, probably picking up my number in the morning if I dont get it done the evening before. Which will depend on my flight time and getting to the hotel etc etc.

I am happy either way on getting the tickets. Mrs B suggestion on asking the hotel might save alot of hassel and also may mean we will get good seats too. So what shall we do? would Catherine be ok sorting out the tickets for us all? or Lynne? or should we arrange to get together Friday sometime for a quick coffee or tea, and sort out how many we need and which shows we would like and then one of us ask at their hotel??
    let me know what you all think. My e-mail is andyandnic1@hotmail.com. I will e-mail you with this thread too.

Bagpuss
    x
  • Options
    Hi coronium - staying at Essex House hotel. It's right by the park I think. Heading out on the thursday morning before the race. Hoping for a double celebation with the missus ... her finishing chemo and me finishing the marathon. Cheers for your post. El C.
  • Options
    Hi all - I arrive the Friday before at 2:00 in the afternoon. Staying in the Vicci Avalon 32nd Street - Quite central I believe.

EI Captain good news with the missus's chemo, hope all goes well for you both..I couldn't get to accommodation close to the park, all seemed to be booked..

3 Miles yesterday, hopefully now on the mend and ready for a good run..walk...etc..
    PS keeping up with this message board is difficult, I am a few pages out each time...only have access in work which is limited..

Looking forward to meeting up and having a drink...
  • Options
    Hi Lynne - i'll be travelling from Heathrow on the 2nd.

Stuart - just take it easy, not too long to go now..

Great news EL Capitan.

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Lee Cartmell 2:55
    Rowan 3.25
    Exhausted 3:29.59
    Dubai Dave 3:30
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    Mr and Mrs Coronium 3:45
    BEEP BEEP 2 3:50
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    Shimlar 3:56
    Watty 3:58
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    Bounty 3.59
    Bax 3:59:59
    ANDREW YATES 4:00
    Trail Runner 4:00
    Dooda 4.07
    SlowButFar 4:10
    catherine s 4:15
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    Stuart Barrow 4:30
    Mrs.B 5:00
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50
    Charlotte 5.30 (with luck and a less weird knee)
    Glugg, going for a good time not a fast time
    flying high 5.0 if everything goes well
    bagpuss 6:30

Up For A Beer/Food Sunday Night
    7.00pm at the Lobby Bar, Crowne Plaza, Times Square, New York

Pugheaven
    Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    Charlotte (if she actually finishes on the sunday)
    Queenie - might be, depends on state of mind & legs
    K.P
    Watty
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Bagpuss
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Catherine S
    Bounty
    Send to friend
    Mrs.B
    Dubai dave (will try to pop in on my way elsewhere)
    Hunty
  • Options
    El C - great news for your wife and whole family, I hope her recovery is going well. Although we are not running on charity places, it is exactly for people like your wife (+ families) that we are collecting sponsorship for Macmillan cancer support. Good luck.

I think we could be on the same flight (VS3?) as you + same hotel, so probably meet up on the transfer bus!
  • Options
    Hi All
    Been out for the last longish run before NYC was supposed to be a 13 mile club run but ended up at 16 miles cos the route master (me) got lost!

So 53 miles for the week, 3 more than planned down to 35 next week so the tapering madness begins. Five day holiday here now for EID, yarhoo!

Have a great weekend
  • Options
    the 16 miles was at exactly 8 min/miles or 3-30 pace and in 36C. Has to mean I'm on course for 3-30 assuming I can run around all the slow moving Americans!
  • Options
    Hi all, just got back from a quick 6 miles. must be the new sleek go fastere hair cut I got last night cos just knocked a full min off my best time. did it in 58 mins.

El C great news about your wife. My friends sister is just undergoing her last ditch intesive chemo and stem cell harvest at the moment so your news is a great boost. Hope all goes well for you both.
  • Options
    hey - don't forget us slow moving brits as well!

Coronium - i will check invoice details and let you know re. flights. we will no doubt meet up.

Cheers, El C
  • Options
    BOUNTY

The Rocky Soundtrack... err ROCKS! Todl ya ;-)

Da da da... there's no easy way out... da da...

I've only ran 11-12 mile this week upto today, need 5 tonight, 10 tomorrow then 12 or something Sunday... can't let it slip, plus had kebab and pizza last night and a sasauge butty this morning, man... *Note to self, so being a fat pig* lol

Pug
  • Options
    Updated with email address's!!!

Pug

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Rowan 3.25
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    Bounty 3.59
    Dooda 4.07
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50

Pugheaven (pugheaven@hotmail.com)
    Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    Charlotte (if she actually finishes on the sunday) (charlottefoster@hotmail.co.uk)
    K.P
    Watty
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Bagpuss (andyandnic1@hotmail.com)
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Catherine S (smithcls100@yahoo.co.uk)
    Bounty
    Send to friend
    Mrs.B
    Hunty
  • Options
    Hunty - will do... Just need to get on the line and then finish...

No Email address as only have works address - will E mail mob across.

• Options
    Stuart - I'm the same only have access to boards at work. It takes ages to catch up.
    Well done on the 3 miles. I'm still off road in that I'm just using the cross trainer (without the arms cos I'm that lazy). Still we'll both hobble across that finish line - hopefully before everybody else has drunk New York dry!!

Lynne - I'm off to get my hair cut now! Great going girl!

El Captain good news about the missus.

• Options
    I with you Lynne on not doing much running this week due to total overwhelming tierdness. I've done about nine miles so far and was going to go this evening, but I think I may make it as far as the steam room at the gym!! I will definitly go out on Sunday and do a longish, very slow run! What are other people doing re long runs this weekend?

• Options
    Hi All

Hunty - welcome.. I just found this thread last week myself and this is my first marathon.

Anyone travelling to NY from Heathrow on Friday night?

And does anyone live in NW London who wants to do 18 miles next week?

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Rowan 3.25
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    Bounty 3.59
    Dooda 4.07
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50
    JV21 4.30

Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    Charlotte (if she actually finishes on the sunday) (charlottefoster@hotmail.co.uk)
    K.P
    Watty
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Bounty
    Send to friend
    Mrs.B
    Hunty
    JV21 (if my legs can still carry me!!)
  • Options
    Put the time accordingly.. silly me..too much running is beginning to affect my brain!

Stuart - may meet you at the finishing line.

El C - good news about your wife.

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Rowan 3.25
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    Bounty 3.59
    Dooda 4.07
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    JV21 4.30
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50

Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    K.P
    Watty
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Bounty
    Send to friend
    Mrs.B
    Hunty
  • Options
    Hi guys - thanks for all your messages of support. In case I misled you, the celebration for my wife is the end of her course of chemo (which has taken place over the last four months)- she has radiotherapy still to do for 4 weeks from mid november and then check ups/follow up in Jan when we find out what happens next & see where we stand. Fingers crossed (tapping desk as we speak) for good news to come. It is a huge relief to have got the first bit out of the way and NY has been a milestone for us both to look forward to. So, for me, the race is all wrapped up in the stuff that has gone on over the last four months and that's why crossing the line will mean so much to me. Go Go Gadget Legs!

My Mum is looking after our 3 daughters while we enjoy ourselves and some retail therapy will no doubt be much enjoyed. Shame not to have the kids with us but, considering my 7 year old told me I was rubbish when she saw me come over London Bridge in the FLM, maybe it is not such a bad thing! Her point was that as I was so obviously being beaten by lots of other people I really I couldn't be much good at this running thing! Just the inspiration I needed!!! At least it pushed me to overtake two furry bananas that I had been tracking on the embankment for 2 miles! All the best, El C
  • Options
    Charlotte and JV21 - Just look out for me, I am the one in the bright yellow Children With Leukaemia top on crowd surfing... LOL.

Charlotte... I am sure you will make it and hopefully get to the pub in time to..

JV21.. Would be great to finish at the same time.. lets hope that I am able to run the distance..

No more messages for me now until Monday... Going home now..

• Options
    Well after not running since a 12 mile last Sunday and having to bouts of physio this week with ultrasound my left hamstring seems to have mended :-) So my legs are feeling rather refreshed, waiting till Sunday to do my next run (10 miles i think) as the physio said i should leave it a week to make sure hamstring heals properly, been doin lots of stretches!!

Feel a wee bitty lazy though, but hey ho, roll on the 5 November, hopefully all those miles i've done in the last few months will be enough, if not well not the end of the world if i have to walk or crawl over the finish line eh.

Hope everyone is enjoyin their taper, if anyone is looking for a wee bit of reading with their spare time check out the New York marathon thread over at Runnersworld.com (US equivalant of this thread), some pretty freaked up folk on there!!
  • Options
    I haven't really started my taper as such, I've just gone into cabbage mode, I wanted 45 mile this week, but only been out twice lol... going out tonight though...

So, 7.7 on Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday, 5+ tonight, that's 17 ish, then 10 tomorrow and a longer 12-14 miler Sunday might just touch 40 mile, which'll do me thinks!

Just can't become lazy now, as Lazy is "putting fat back on" lol... and we can't have that..., not when I've got Lee C vying for first RW Forumite home... ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    I too have been sluggish, an involuntary taper I suppose. Nothing Monday, 4 Tues, 0 Weds, 5 Thurs and none this am. So tomorrow 10 and Sunday 14. Then proper taper, resigned to the fates that await.. It seems that my near-running mate, 'Flying high' is a bit of a split personality as he/she will run both 3.50 and 5.00 if everything goes well - me too LOL.
  • Options
    El C - best of luck with the rest of the missus's treatment - my mum went though it a couple of years ago so I know what you're going through, and that's why I'm doing NY for Cancer Research with my own place.

I've just set up a fundraising page this week justgiving.com/newyorkhereicome if anyone's interested!

I've got a finish time sweepstake going as part of the fundraising but have no idea what time to aim for. Before injury a few weeks ago I was planning to aim for 3:30, think I may have to scale that back to 3:45.

Good luck with people's last long runs this week. The boat race for me on Sunday (Kew to Putney and back = 13 miles), plus a couple to make it up to 15.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Rowan 3.25
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    Andreww 3.45
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    Bounty 3.59
    Dooda 4.07
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    JV21 4.30
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50

Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    K.P
    Watty
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Bounty
    Send to friend
    Mrs.B
    Hunty