Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Comments

• Options
    Coronium - that sounds like a pretty distressing run. Glad FMrsC is OK for NY - like you say never mind the wedding!

Mrs B - hang in there. Have you been taking Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling as well?

Just added up my longest 10 runs like Rowan:

Total 170.5

Can't believe how good my legs feel today. They've never felt so good the day after a really long run.

I've road tested my kit and it is fine - it was my birthday at the weekend and I got some Ronhill socks as pressies - tried out the cushioned ones on the 21 yesterday and they felt great. Watty I have the Gel Nimbus VIII as well and like them a lot. My last pair were Saucony Grid Triumph which fitted superbly but were just a bit on the heavy side. The Gel Nimbus VIII feel very light by comparison. On the day I'll be wearing my PhabKids vest and my lucky, skimpy race shorts (part of a shorts & technical t-shirt set I got at FLM Expo last year for £10).
  • Options
    Well done everyone re long runs. Hope everyone is feeling ok today.

I'm just sooooooooo tierd!! I think the mileage has finally caught up with me after a few weeks of training really hard and feeling good! Luckily the next couple of weeks are all about taking it easy so I should be able to regain some energy! In the meantime I'm hoping nobody will notice as I fall asleep at my desk!
  • Options
    Lynne i wear running tights with nothing underneath as i used to have the same problem, and lots of vaseline all over.
    also sudocream after is great for healing the skin. But seriously loads of vaseline!
  • Options
    Lynne S
    Not to be pervy, but what shorts you wearing?

I noticed yesterday in my racing shorts, that they do tend to slightly ruck up into inside your groin and rub a bit... bit sore when I got back... however, I dont' think it'll cause me a problem in the race unless I end up 4+ hours...

Not sure what to advise to be honest... maybe try different underwear... or and I'm really not being pervy, no underwear... I go commando (rofl man, too much info I know) when I wear my racing shorts as they have that lining in them... although it's a bit different for bloke, we just don't care, where'as you ladies, like to feel a bit more "protected" ;-)

Anyhow, only otherthing could be vaseline, however that could geta bit messy... I'll leave you girlies to decide.

Blimey, you should be grateful FMrsC didn't really hurt herself more, a friend of mine broke his jaw falling in woods a coupel of years back... I dont' trai in woods purely for this reason or off road... too much chance of bust ankles. Hope she's okay and there's damage for the wedding piccies mate ;-)

Mid Life Crisis
    Well, you've got some cracking runs in there, no need for you to worry... think I'm personally down by 1 20 miler, wanted 3x20's however, that's life and I think I know I can manage the full 26.2 now.
    However word of warning, don't do anything daft this week (just because your legs feel great)... I did the same after that 20 4 weeks ago... and picked up that hamstring because I didn't rest for a 2-3 days after running it... just be a little wary!

20 days now (and 1hr according to the site)... not long is it ;-)

Pug

• Options
    Cheers Pug thanks for that!

Sorry but I'm trying desperately not to keep thinking about ladies applying Vaseline to parts of their bodies...but without much success!

THinking about the day, will anyone have their forum name on their vests? I'm thinking of doing it, as it would be amazing to meet another forumite in the middle of the race.
  • Options
    Crisis

Yeah I know, Lynnes got us "gynaecologists " thinking ROFL... isn't everyman a "gynaecologist"??? I know I've had a good try in the past lol

I'll be having "Mark" & "Pugheaven" put on the front or the back or both(probably both), got to get it sorted this weekend, probably pop in JJB and see if they do it... shouldn't cost much...

Pug

• Options
    I'll be putting my name on the front of my vest (when I get one) for sure. In the past I've used washable felt tip pens to do it, so you can wash it and wear your vest for training afterwards without little hoodlums shouting your name as you go past! If you do the letters thick enough it should last through the sweat of a marathon no problem.
  • Options
    Well everyone's been busy again(surprise, surprise)some entries evoking awe - Pug and Rowan others sympathy Mrs B, 'Mrs' C and many more to just get you thinking - especially this long run/short run debate for next weekend.
    Did my second long run, at 20.84 a tad longer than Rowan - but at 3h23 more than a tad in time. Legs felt like lead for last 4 miles and distance felt longer too. The good news is the week was 45.57 and the legs feel fine today. I had a bottle of red and a whole bar of hazlenut chocolate last night so perhaps that's the secret?
    Out with a bang as no more booze now till I cross the line in Central park :(
  • Options
    Well done everybody - some great long runs this weekend. I'd planned to run a final 20 yesterday but was feeling very tired after 12 miles (maybe I hadn't recovered from last weekends 22 miler). Managed to drag myself to 19 miles where I pass near home and decided enough was enough - couldn't manage the last 1 mile loop!

Hopefully my 3 longest runs (19, 22 & 19) will be enough. Not getting to 20 miles yesterday has put a few doubts in my mind for NY. It will be my first marathon and I'm hoping that the atmosphere, crowds and fellow runners will drag me home on the day. Good Luck everyone........Have a nice taper and see you all in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Hi all. My first time on this site as am now panicking given I haven't completed a run longer than 13 mile but in under 2 hours.. do I need to worry now? My target is 4 1/2 hours to complete and this is my first marathon...ambitious maybe?

Also I will going alone so if anyone wants to hook up there pre and post marathon then email me..
  • Options
    JV you've got some good times for 10k and 1/2M but you will find it tough in a full mara having not gone more than 13 miles. You might need a run/walk strategy of some sort to get around, but doing so will give you an outside chance of coming in not too far off the 4.5 hr mark.

THere is some talk of meeting up after the race so keep logging on to see what everyone settles on.
  • Options
    All - Thanks for the kind words about FMrsC. She is OK; although she is finding eating and talking painful, but this should pass quite quickly. She has a few scrapes on her face, but again these should hopefully heal reasonably quickly.

Pug - I hear what you say regarding the dangers of running off-road, but the majority of my most enjoyable/memorable runs have been off-road and it is these that are the reason I run. I'm sure running off-road also helps will core stability and makes you less prone to muscle injuries (you just need to see the tree roots so you can jump over them!). I haven't run on a track for 16 yrs and less than 40% of my miles are on the roads – I won’t be changing this because of yesterday’s accident (famous last words!!!!!)

JV21 - Get one long run (~18 miles?) before going out to NY, just to see how your legs feel. You may find the second half of the marathon a bit of a struggle, but you will get around. Be careful about setting yourself a time, as you maybe tempted to start too fast - you are going to have to pace yourself carefully. Remember that 98% of the people on the start-line get to the finish!
  • Options
    Just realised, we haven't heard from Queenie in a while? You still out there Queenie?

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Lee Cartmell 2:55
    Rowan 3.30
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    Mr and Mrs Coronium 3:45
    BEEP BEEP 2 3:50
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    Shimlar 3:56
    Watty 3:58
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    SlowButFar 3:59 (maybe . . . if Cardiff goes really well)
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    BOUNTY 3.59
    Bax 3:59:59
    ANDREW YATES 4:00
    Dooda 4.07
    catherine s 4:15
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    Stuart Barrow 4:30
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50
    Charlotte 5.30 (with luck and a less weird knee)
    Dubai Dave
    Glugg, going for a good time not a fast time
    flying high 5.0 if everything goes well
    bagpuss 6:30

Up For A Beer/Food Sunday Night

Pugheaven
    Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    Charlotte (if she actually finishes on the sunday)
    Queenie - might be, depends on state of mind & legs
    K.P
    Watty (2 Can Dan:-/)
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Bagpuss
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Catherine S
    BOUNTY
  • Options
    Also, at some point we need to exchange mobile numbers for when we're out there... and arranging this drink etc etc... make sure everyone finishes lol

At a bare minimum, email etc... I've got internet access (am sure most of you will have) in the hotel I'm staying at, but think txting is a damn sight easier (and speaking of cause!).

Pug
  • Options
    Thanks MLC and coronium.. will take your advice on board.

SDTOOT - just noticed we have the same goal.. good luck.
  • Options
    Can I ask a dull question about travel insurance?? Any recommendations for cheap insurance that covers you for the marathon? The best I've found is about £45....

Would love to know where you will all meet up so if my friends and I can still walk we can join in the celebrations.

Good to have something to look forward to on a long boring Monday, did a 20mile race yesterday and feel very tired and not like working today!
  • Options
    Welcome claireeb,Try ace travel insurance which includes running the marathon, half the price.
  • Options
    JV - welcome, my first too, great half marathon time, would definitely try and get a longer run in, I ran three hours yesterday for the first time and is a very different experience than running for two - sounds obvious but the fuelling strategy has tobe different - definitely give it a go this week, the least surprises on the day as possible I would say!

I hope to do a 5 - 5:30 but not fussed - just want to get around! As someone said on here to me the other day - what ever time you do willbe a PB!!!!

I think mentally more than anything a longer run is essential!

Good Luck

• Options
    There's always one who has to spoil the party and I think it's me.

Right now I'm finding it hard to walk let alone run - yesterdays 20 miler didn't go entirely to plan. Around 3 and a half miles in I felt a shooting pain around my knee and going up my leg. I tried to walk it out for 5 minutes, it didn't get better but it didn't get worse so I tried running again. I think I got about 200 metres down the path when I decided my running actually looking more like hopping. Tried stretches and more walking. Realised it hurt to do anything and crawled home utterly devastated.

Physio this morning says it's ligament strain. We've ordered in a special support and I'm only doing cross trainer this week. And keeping everything crossed.

Problem is my knee hurts all the time, moving not moving, stretching not stretching. And this is on top of my pelvis/hamstring/knee problem but it is at least on the same leg!

I'm desperatly trying to stay positive and hope my knee will sort itself out by the weekend so I can get my 20 miles in (admittedly a week too late) and still go for it in New York.

I've trained too hard to give up now.

Sorry to rant on.
  • Options
    Hey Charlotte - that is really bad luck. From my limited experience I would say DON'T do that 20 miles - as you say you've trained really hard up till now, and that will carry you through. Running the 20 miles is probably a bad idea this close as it will tire you out, plus it might put more strain on that knee. Also, if you decide now you are not going to do it, it takes the pressure off, which will relax you and probably help the healing process. Fingers crossed for you.

• Options
    Hi Charlotte,like you said that you have trained to hard to give up now. But with all the injuries that you have it would be best if you didnt force the issue.Forget about doing a 20 now,you are too close.Rest seems to be the order of the day. Just aim for being in NY at the starting line and you will accomplish your goal of completeing the marathon.Just take it easy and if you feel confident then do shorter runs if you have to.Good luck.
  • Options
    I know that if I'm at that start line I'll make it to the finish line somehow!

I'm just really concerned my longest run has only been 16 miles.
  • Options
    Hi Charlotte

So sorry about your knee, I agree totally with catherine and Rowan. Dont do the 20 its not worth it this close to the marathon. All your hard training will not be wasted you will get round the marathon ok I promise.x You will be amazed at how the crowd will carry you when you start to feel tired. And if you take it easy between now and marathon day you will be in tip top condition to run it and finish it I am sure. As you will of let your knee rest properly.
    Hey you could always run with me, I know its slow but it might be better in the long run if you pardon the pun!!

Bagpuss
    x
  • Options
    DON'T DO THE 20... forget it Charlotte... I've only done 2 20's and a coupel of 19's and I'm aiming 2:50, don't worry, what's done now is in your legs, we've all got to take it steady now, I've got to watch this hamstring, you need to mend that leg, and it's not just going to go away by running for miles... no point.

Do what Rowan says, he's the daddy of the thread, he's ran 5 marathons and knows a thing or two about injuries... rest IS THE ORDER OF THE DAY! Simple... take it easy this week, rest up, then go for a little 4-5 next Sunday, see how it is...

Trust Unkle Pug and Grandpa Rowan ROFL ;-) (Soz mate, had to get it in lol)

Pug
  • Options
    Thanks Johnny M. Will try more than two hours this weekend and see how it feels. I did the Great Eastern Run yesterday and did not feel too bad afterwards. Good luck too..
  • Options
    Cheers PUG if I wasn't so old I would whip your ass LOL.

sorry for being so rude,Welcome JV21.What is your target time? PUG can put it on the list.
  • Options
    ROFL ;-)
    Yeah I'll add it to the list...

Pug
  • Options
    Just back from a physio sesh, postive vibes, rest till the weekend with another bout of ultrasound on thursday, plenty stretching, bit of massaging and the physio reckons i will be fine, was a new physio tonight i seen, really good to, was well interested in the marathon having read and seen pics of me in the local press of late!! What a celeb, lol!! She even gave me my session tonight free of charge, what a star!!

So these legs are going to get 6 days of no running at all and just gettin a (well earned?) rest. And warm soaks in the bath! Champions League week to, great,

Charlotte, just stay postive, really really chick you will be fine for the big day, even if it means not running another stride between now and the 5 November.
  • Options
    Just been catching up on the threadLots of good long runs.
    coronium- Sorry to hear about the dog in the woods . I hope the bruises heal quickly. My running partner is a dog (hence the photo) and he doesn@t like other runners but I put him on a lead if one approaches.I would be mortified if he caused an injury.
    Charlotte Try not to run unless it is totally comfortable. If you don't get to the start you can't finish but if you do the crowds will make sure you finish. Good luck.
    I had a dress rehersal of my kit over 20 miles- all great except the phab charity vest which caused severe chafing under the arms. It has been washed. should I vaseline it, cut it or bin it? any ideas.
    Mid life crisis -I think you are running for phab too have you the same problem or is it just my flabby arms?
  • Options
    It's getting hard to keep up with this thread!

Charlotte - having done this race in 2004 I agree with everyone else's comments. Don't run for now if it hurts. The crowds will get you round, they are amazing!

Coronium - I hope everything clears up in time for both of your big events. Must admit, I'm not a dog lover either. I try to do lots of my miles on grass in the local parks and snappers, chasers and dog mess are all too common.

Cheers,
    Andrew