Options

FLM 2007

Comments

• Options
    Stylish, Get well soon. I always swear by having a hot bath, some night nurse (thats cold remedy for you lot!) and a couple of early nights (sleep that is).

Good luck with the Omini 5's Clarej

Nearlythere, buggar 15miles! you are nearly there well done.

On my front I went out for a 6 miler yesterday and I really struggled (first time for a while) I just hope it was because of my weekend over-indulgence.
  • Options
    Hi all again,

been a while since posting on here. Now winter is coming its time to start think of April.

I lost my motivation, energy and enthusiasm for a few months but it seems to have come back over the last week so hopefully I'm on the up.

The cheques clear at the end of November if your in don't they???
  • Options
    I think it's more like end of October Seren Nos as the closing date has just gone by
  • Options
    Hi all

Allrover your thoughts about the 'muddy stuff' are already coming true - did 4miles this afternoon and it was like sticky soup - Yuk! Felt like 6 miles! (Why is it the walkers I meet on that run are always bang in the middle of the long horrid muddy hill near the end - with big smiles on their faces....when all I want to do is walk or stop ....but their presence makes me run faster than I normally would ....and nearly expire once I'm around the corner!!!)

Hope you feel better soon Stylish!

Poddler - thanks for the club advice - have now e-mailed the club!!

NT - you make me very envious with where you are in your training!!
    Hi Seren :wavey:
  • Options
    Oh and Clarej - glad the tendon is behaving - good luck with the shoes.
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the good wishes guys.Its day three now and now got a cough as well. Anyway glad to hear that everyone is running well.I think the first batch of cheques will clear this friday. So if you didn't bequeath and its cleared, you're in.
  • Options
    Back to normal today did a 5 miler quite hilly but still managed to push it. :o)

Snails I know what you mean about the "muddy stuff" the nice bit of mud last week is like a swamp!

I've now got a heart monitor I don't know what its all about though!? My watch strap broke and I wanted a cheap option and read somewhere that they were doing Heart monitors with built in stop watch for £9.99 down from £29.99 at Lloyds Pharmacy's so if you want one get down there.
  • Options
    Hi all

Got to run tonight and just realised eating supersized portion of Harry Ransdens Fish and chips for lunch is not the ideal meal before a run.....

Couldn't run yesterday so can't miss tonight so will have to force myself...
  • Options
    Well done Allrover, I'm rubbish at hills! I always struggle as I always have to run down-hill at the start of my run so am left with all the up-hill bit at the end when I'm shattered! And they're long slow hills rather than one big steep one! Oh well, all good training...
    Ran 10.5 miles last night, which is the furthest I've ever run. It was pretty slow- took me just under 2 hours but I was pleased as I didn't walk at all until about mile 6, which is more or less my 'normal' run distance. Have done well so far with the rain holding off while I'm out - long may my luck hold!! (have a feeling chances are slim though!!)
    have a good evening all x
  • Options
    Good going Clarej - but enjoy the rain if it comes

We went out Monday which was persisting down in my area and we were all transported back to the joys of childhood, splashing in puddles, kicking water over each other.....

Those 4 miles were the most enjoyable I've done for ages....

Mind you - when I got in the car the next day and got out with a wet bum from the still wet seat I was a tad less amused....walking down the high street with a wet stain on the back of your trousers does get you funny looks!!
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Hi guys what a beautiful day it was today. I was umming and arring as to whether to go for a run or not but with near perfect running conditions I ventured out and really enjoyed a beautiful morning and run. The best part was that after I had been and come back it was still only 10.00 am! Did a slow 7.5M today which was my first run for 10 days so was quite pleased with that.

Well its has you cheque cleared take 2 this week. I think it will be Thursday/Friday before they start clearing.

How is everyone getting on?
  • Options
    Hiya - good run yesterday - 8.5miles - the first 4 through the mud with the dogs (well - some mud,some lovely grass- some slippy track)and then ran past home - dropped them off and did the second 4ish on the roads. Really pleased with the Achilles the last week - seems to be settling. Seems to have corresponded with the arrival of the chi-running book - and trying to sort of follow the ideas. May be a coincidence? Or may be just more focussed on 'how' I'm running.

Had a great evening with friends in Kent last night....so rest day today as planned!!

Am following Hal Higdons Spring Training plan til December (great Spring lol) - not sure if anyone has seen it. Build on the base and then start the mara plan (?Shades')after Xmas?
  • Options
    Yeouch!

Walked the Beachy Head marathon yesterday with plodpals from my club including a 13-year old...

Trust me - it is much harder walking it the whole way than any other method. We're on our feet for over 9 hours solid and I have the most horrendous blister on the bottom of one of my feet now which together with 2 hips which did the same repetitive movement all day means I'm hobbling around in worse condition than after any other race!!

Glad to see everybody else is being sensible and actually building up properly to these things :))
  • Options
    Everyone seems to be doing well with the training now then!

I did my first cross-country today. Only (!) 3.5 miles but it felt like so much more. Not too hilly but we have had a bit of rain so the mud was incredible. Definitely good for working very different muscles.

Brilliant day here in the north as well - almost seemed the wrong sort of weather for xc.

Poddler - well done on the marathon walk! My feet ache at the thought of it!
  • Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭
    Well my cheque hasn't been cashed today so it looks as though I didn't get in through the ballot. Still got a chance through a club place but as that was the route I took last year might not be so lucky this time around. Any way will have to wait and see. Any others trying to get in via the ballot. Have you got in?
  • Options
    Hi all
    I think my cheque was cashed today - can't find my cheque book to check the stub but I think it's the only £23 cheque I've written recently (and that's the price for student entry). Anyway, celebrated with a 3.5 mile run, so it has at least motivated me to get off my bottom and do some training!

Thanks for the training plan, Stylish. Need to start building up long runs now. I'm on 9 min miles at the moment - is this about right?
  • Options
    I haven't got in so must wait to see I get a club place but not hopeful. Will probably have to wait another year :(
  • Options
    My cheque hasn't been cashed either. :(
    Can't be too sad as I can still run through the bond place I applied for and was given.

Pressure is really on now though - as my £1400 charity place is for real - not sure whether the fundraising will be more difficult than the training!!

Good on you Becky....sorry Stylish and Seren. Maybe a charity place if you get in quickly?
  • Options
    Had the offer of a charity place last year and decided I couldn't cope with the extra pressure of raising the £1400.

I did Edinburgh later on without a charity place and raised nearly £900, but have decided that I won't take any places that put pressure on myself so I will just wait my turn to run FLM and run somewhere else.

Good luck to all charity raising...
  • Options
    Hi Guys congrats on those that are in.Like you Seren Nos I had a bond place for 2005 and even raised money last year when I didn't need to. However, it is a lot of hassle having to ask people to pledge and then collect the money. There are still two people who owe me £10 each but I can't be arsed to ask any more. So I don't think I'll go down the charity route. Still got a chance with the club.

Beckylou - 9 min miles is too fast. You need to be looking at between 10.15 - 10.30 min miles for your slow run so slow it down.
  • Options
    Bloody hell Stylish don't give up yet.
    Its not over until its over. Anyway if you do decide to go down the charity route I'll sponsor you.

Is 9 min miling to fast? That might be my problem.
  • Options
    Is 9 min miles too fast for my 30 minute runs too? I'm just getting up to three runs (of approximately 3.5 miles) per week at the moment, and haven't really started long runs yet (they all seem long!). Maybe I'll slow them all down a bit, and start making one of the runs a longer one.
  • Options
    PS. for those of you who don't think you have a place in FLM - what alternatives are you considering? I've heard good things about Lochabar.
  • Options
    Hi Allrover, I haven't given up yet and even if I don't get into FLM I might do another spring mara.Lochaber is one I'll be looking at.Thanks for the offer of sponsorship thats very generous of you.
    When it comes to LONG SLOW RUNS you should not be doing them any faster than 10.15 -10.30 min miles.The idea is to build up your stamina. If you are doing shorter runs of up to say 6M then these can be faster 9.00 - 9.30 range.

Becklou - with one of your runs carry on at the 9.00 pace but with your LSR do that at 10-15 - 10.30 pace and I bet you'll easily do another mile on top of your longest run so far.
  • Options
    Hi all, realised I've been lurking on here for a bit without posting - sorry to those who didn't get a place. I've got a charity place but am lucky in that I work in a big company with some people who earn silly amounts of money, so I won't feel too guilty about emotionally blackmailing them to help the sick kids!!

Have entered another race, a half in Bedford at the beginning of December, which I'm looking forward to. Ran 11 miles last night in about 1hr50 which I was really pleased with, so with 4 or 5 weeks to go, things are looking good - I'm aiming at 2 hours although it's apparently a bit 'undulating' so if I come in a bit slower than that I won't be too bothered.

Question - Liverpool half is at the end(ish) of March, and Milton Keynes half is at the start (ish - the 11th) - is 2 weeks enough time between them or will I be pushing myself a bit hard, risking doing damage before the big day in April? Advice/thoughts gratefully received!
    CJ x

• Options
    Hi Clarej, ditto about working in a large company and people earning silly amounts of money but some of them are tighter than a frogs arse!

Anyway re your question it all depends on how you run the half maras. I personally think that if you really push yourself in both then you will risk injury.What you could do is run the Liverpool one as a proper race and try for a good time.The MK one you could use as a training run and test your pacing for the big day. Don't forget that racing will take more out of you than a training run. So I say do both but only race one of them.
  • Options
    Evening all....long time no speak! HAve been busy working, but finally got caught up in the cheque cashing circus....well done to all who got in / have a place / are happy with their rejections!

My cheque has been cashed today, but dont know if i bequeathed or not, so still dont know if i'm in. Guess i will just have to sit and wait another 3 weeks till the mag comes out....(is it that long)

I think i am going to do Paris if i don't get into london.

My broken toe is mended. Finally. But my belly is big and round, and my bum is getting the same way. Going out for my first training run this weekend....Brrrr it's cold!

• Options
    Brr .. you'r right it's cold!! Lovely morning - nice slow run enjoying the sunrise over the fields/woods.

Glad your toe is fixed O'D. :)

Yippee - it's the weekend almost!

• Options
    Morning all, thanks for the input Stylish. I think I'll do as you suggest - I'm quite keen to do both, MK as loads of forumites are doing it and L'pool as it's an excuse to go and stay with my folks for the weekend!
    O'Donut - glad your toe is better, yes it's cold so wrap up when you go out!

Which leads me on to a question (which may be better in the injury section but we'll see)... when on my long run on Weds, it was flippin' freezing, and although I had fleece-lined tights on, I could really feel the cold on the fronts of my thighs. 2 days later and my thigh muscles are still killing me - they feel as though they're pulled (although other muscles, which I would usually feel the day after a run, are fine). Do you think it's possible that the cold meant that the muscles never got warmed up? Any ideas on how to soothe them so I can do a training run over the weekend?
    In future I'll be wearing jogging bottoms over my tights! lol!
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is a 100% certain they are in until they recieve the confirmation mag. My cheque was cashed May/June time (defferred 2006) and I'm not banking on it until I see my number on the letter.(that could be a pun ;o) )

I'm doing an off road race on Sunday "The Drogo 10" supposed to be a toughy but I'm using it to build up my training so not to bothered about times. I may do a slow 3 miler when I get home from work to keep the legs working.

I quite like running in Cold but bright weather!!

Good luck with everyones training over the weekend.