Options

FLM 2007

Comments

• Options
    Well, I think my cheque may have been cashed - at least the increased possibility will help the motivation over the next couple of weeks.

Stylish - a number of people have told me, as you have stated, that if you are planning to run 9 min miles for the marathon you should be running no faster than 10 min miles on your long run. But do you know this is - is it simply about getting longer on your feet without working your muscles are hard? How will that translate into actually being able to do 9 min miles on the day - is that were the praying comes in?

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Nearly There. First off all 9 min miles equate to a sub 4.00 marathon. So you're on the wrong thread if thats what you're aiming for ;0). Only joking.Seriously is that what your aim is. A sub 4.00 mara?
    The reason for doing your long runs slow is to build up aerobic endurance and this is the only way to do it. Also it reduces the chances of injury as the impact on all the muscles is less. If you are seriously looking at a Sub 4.00 then I reckon you could do your long runs at about 9.45 mim miles. Re on the day a little bit of praying always helps but one of your runs should be a tempo run and also come feb / march you should do a bit of speed training.Maybe be race a 10K or something. Finally when you race you automatically run a bit faster anyway. But on the day if everything has gone to plan you'll be able to run 9.00 min miles.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Stylish.

9 min miling one year - but not this!
  • Options
    Thick question - what's a tempo run?
  • Options
    A tempo run would be where you run at a pace, somewhere approaching your 10K race pace,and do that for a couple of miles.So it would go something like:

1M warm up @ say 9.30- 9.45 pace
    3M tempo @ 8.30 - 8.45 pace
    1M warm down @ 9.30 - 9.45 pace.

Its up to you as to how long and how fast to make the tempo bit. This will make a change to the LSR and also work on the speed aspect.
  • Options
    Good Morning All,

My cheque was cashed on 31st Oct and I didn't bequeath so think I am in but waiting for the official letter. I have applied 3 times and this is my first place so third time lucky for me (I hope).

Sorry for all the peeps who didn't get a place as I know how it feels but there are loads of other marathons waiting for you :-)

In the meantime, going to get some training in. I bought a new long sleeved top, new hat and gloves from Girls Run Too online yesterday and they were delivered this morning so getting ready to go for a run all wrapped up.

Clarej: the MK 1/2 is a good one and I have done this the past 2 years. Going to work out a schedule for races to run in preparation and for motivation.

Ciao for now...
  • Options
    Morning Folks,
    I'm wondering if anyone can answer this one! My cheque was cashed on Thursday (2 Nov.), but I bequethed. Am I in or can I simply expect another free gift popping through the door?

Thanks
  • Options
    B Ferrari - welcome to the thread.

SB 400 - IMO you'll be getting a gift :0(
  • Options
    Like B Ferrari my cheque was cashed 31/10 and I didn't bequeath, so I guess I'm in. Can't say if I'm pleased or not really. Third or fourth try so I'm quite pleased, but I only ever ran one marathon before (20+ years ago) and I still remember how much it hurt.

Having gotten over the surprise of, maybe, being in, I've started to think about the training and what sort of time to aim for. Using the RW predictor it says (based on my 1/2 mara and 10k PBs) I should do <= 4:30. What is your experience with those predictors - do they work ? Also with 6 months of training between now and then how much faster do you think I'd get ?

Thanks for any advice.

Slug
  • Options
    Thanx Stylish,

Did 6 miles yesterday and was in the gym this morning on the x-trainer and did a 20 min run as I am in the office the next 2 days so won't get a chance to get out.

Has anyone started a training programme yet?

I have just been doing my usual plodding but better start thinking about a programme to increase my mileage.

• Options
    Hi All.
    I’ve never ran a full marathon before. My plan is to increase my long run on a Sunday by around a mile each week or 10 mins. I’m already realising that I can’t maintain my usual social calendar and have already started going to bed earlier than the usual midnight hour. I’m currently up to 10 miles for my longest run. On current form I predict that by early April I’ll be doing 20+ miles on my long run, spend the rest of the time in bed and have no friends. (tongue firmly stuck in cheek)

Still love it though, because it makes me feel great.

What’s a HH plan?
  • Options
    Hi RFH, I've never done a marathon either but am doing Shades' plan. HH plan, I would think, would be Hal Higdon - I looked at his plans but they're based on training 5 or 6 days a week and I can't be sure I can manage that due to my job (Shades plan is 3 or 4 runs a week). It's worth hunting around though, there are loads of plans out there - also on this site under 'training'.

Hopefully I can do Shades' plan, get round the marathon in the time I'm aiming for, and retain at least one friend (plus boyfriend)!! ;o)
  • Options
    Hi Clarej, that's it, ta very much. I didn't want to guess at the name. I'm beginning to realise what i've took on. Girlfriend is very understanding. The Longest training run, i'll end up doing, will be over 3 hours every sunday from the beginning of February. Then there's the midweek runs.
    has anyone ever had 'it's either me or the running thrown in their face' I doubt it due other obvious benefits. i'e more stamina. lol
  • Options
    anything that makes me cheerful, energetic and body confident is going to get the thumbs up from my boyf!! (provided I demonstrate those characteristics to him, of course!)
    He plays a lot of pool so we coordinate so he plays while I run - his ex did the "it's me or the pool" thing and pool won, so not risking that one!!
  • Options
    Run for Home - careful with your long runs...

I personally wouldn't recommend doing 3 hours + every Sunday in February...

Be very careful about overdoing it - many a good marathon was left on the training runs of Feb and March!

Most plans will have step back every 4th week quite considerably
  • Options
    Hi poddler.
    Thanks. i've never taken advice on more quickly.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

I must find a plan.

Luckily my other half runs every day but he isn't doing the marathon so I will be out on a few longer runs than him on the weekends. I think it's important to ensure you set aside quality time as a couple if one person is committing to something like this so that your OH doesn't feel left out...

Are any of you running in the evenings? It's dark so early and I am limited to where I can run as I live in a small town and all decent routes are country roads. I think my shorter runs will be in the mornings when there is some light and long runs at the weekend or in the gym on the treadmill in the evenings if required.

Have a good evening :-)
  • Options
    Evening all, glad to see that everyone is fit and well. Just come back from a 6M run but found it quite hard going right from the off. Don't really know why. May be it was the cold or something but found my legs stiff n heavy.

BF - I tend to do my weekday runs in the evening as don't have time in the morning. The route is fairly well lit but yes take care of running in the dark. Make sure its safe.
  • Options
    I run with a club 2 nights a week and that is ideal for those dark wet nights.

My running has really started to come back the last couple of weeks and I'm enjoying it. I prefer the cold weather for running.......

I'm really feeling relaxed about it.

Got a half on saturday afternoon in Cheddar.I've never done an afternoon race before so it will be a bit worried. I'm also a bit worried because I often have an afternoon nap in the afternoon when that dip in energy occurs... Not sure how the rasce will go..
  • Options
    Evening All

Hope the Half goes well Seren - sure you'll be fine - the race will switch off the nap-attack!

Am following HH's Spring Training plan.. which is supposedly a sort of a base training plan pre his marathon plan -(wrong time of year marathon hence the odd name)

Not sure if the plan is good or not...had planned to do Barns Green Half end of October - but had to back off due to an achilles problem....touch wood...seems to be settling nicely despite 25 miles last week + cross trainer 2 days. Great weather last few days!

• Options
    It's good to know what others are doing and good luck with the race seren nos :-)

I am in the office again tomorrow so no running for me until Thursday/Friday.

• Options
    Hi all, Its getting quite busy on here nowadays its good to hear how everyone is getting on.

Seren nos good luck with the half on Saturday.

Stylish, Its probably just one of those days, everyone has em, its just bit of a shock when it happens. Have you been on the sauce lately? ;o)

Well my race report. I did “The Drogo 10” on Sunday. Its on the edge of Dartmoor at a place called Castle Drogo. An off road race. What lovely weather it was, red hot at the start and I was thinking perhaps I should be wearing just a vest and shorts, when we got down in the bottom it was still thick frost (what a contrast) I was thinking perhaps I should be wearing leggings. Buggar it was hard but the scenery excellent.
    So thats good as I,m now up to 10miles in my training :o)

Good luck to everyone.
  • Options
    Allrover: it was a gorgeous day on Sunday and I was too hot out on my 6 miler, ended up taking my long-sleeved top off and running in my vest (and tights of course). I'm sure some people driving by in the their cars all wrapped up thought I was mad :-) Drogo 10 sounds like a good race.

My main task for today is to get a training plan and arrange some races.
  • Options
    Bambina, Sunday was excellent running weather its just a pity it won't always be like that. I quite like this 3 runs a week plan I am doing as its easier to fit everything in. My next race is Bicton Blister at the end of the month but I am in the process of filling in my application for Templer Ten on 19/11/06 but this fills up fast and I may be out of time. All these races are in devon whereabouts are you?
  • Options
    Printed off a running plan last night so going to book this into my diary and then work out which races I need to do as part of my training.

It must be lovely to run down there in Devon. I am in Buckinghamshire and run on country roads so need to go in daylight otherwise I could easily be run over. I do go to the gym and do x-training on dark mornings.

I will be without my laptop for a few days so hope to get back on-line next week and hear how you are all doing :-)

Have a great weekend all and happy running!
  • Options
    I run all races in vest and shorts. In fact last year I only wore 3/4 lenghth trousers twice throughout the winter even though we had snow a couple of times. I have a thin jumper that I sometimes wear now but it only stays on for the first mile as I then start to overheat.....

Many people give me odd looks in the depths of winter in vest and shorts but I find I overheat easily. I aslo take a drink with me even if I'm only doing 3 miles....

If i was fitter maybe I would not overheat so much..........
  • Options
    Well I must be a whimp then cause my tights have already come out ;0) The last couple of days its been cold and I have wrapped up. Last year I bought a gillet and I have only warn it recently. Very light weight and stops the wind without making you boil over. In FLM this year I ran in shorts even thought there was fine drizzle from the start and then quite a downpour towards the end.Still wore gloves but it was ideal for me. Others didn't like it at all. I've also got into the habit of taking a drink on every run.

Anyway hoping to do 10M this weekend. My first run of double figs since June!! You guys seem to be doing a lot of racing. I can't get many suitable one around here or they're all full.

• Options
    Hi back from Cheddar and it was a lovely course, very scenic and friendly.

The only problem was the course was very exposed in some places and it was very windy.

Still with the help of a fellow runner I managed to get a new PB. 1:58:43......

I was very pleased considering the week I've had.

Hope you've all had a good weekend
  • Options
    Hi SN well done and congrats on the new PB. Thats one of my aims for next year a sub 2.00 HM. Only done a couple of HM so far but if I don't do FLM then next year I'll do a few more. It all bodes well for FLM too. With another 5 months of training you'll be close to 4.15. Well done again.

Today I did my first double figures run, 10M, since June and was happy with how it went. Just learnt that the club has a 10M XC race on 9.12.2006. So thats a good one to aim for.I think 10M XC might be a tad too much, too soon but I'll have a go.
    Hope everyone else is running well.
  • Options
    Great weekend for me.....but bad running weekend! Went to Addington to an equestrian demonstration. The world and Olympic champion - doing a 2 day dressage demo. Great weekend; (great meal and a few glasses of wine last night with some good friends as stayed in a pub near the venue)

Not enough hours in the day............

Well done SN.

Good on ya Stylish.... I walked up and down behind the grandstand a few times...can I add that to my mileage? ;)