Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options
    5'9" and 13st 11lbs.

Lost 10 lbs since April. Another stone to go though!

Drink too much alcohol, food I can just about control, but it's easier when I'm running, not just the fact that I'm burning calories, I just don't feel like over-eating.

This lay-off isn't going to help.
  • Options
    Rob,
    I have been up to 13 Stone back 25 to 30 years ago when I was a decathlete in a previous incarnation but am now down to as low as 11 Stone. So don't despair, you may even get below 13 stone (assuming of course you'd want to splash out on a whole new wardrobe). Mind you, it may take 25 years! Stick at it in the meantime, it certainly helps the distance running.
  • Options
    odeon- would you recommend getting a garmin then? i was thinking of getting one to stop my LSD runs being too S!
  • Options
    Aberdonian - belated congratulations on a fantastic run and thanks for the really useful information about your training. It gives me hope..

I thought it was just me thinking "If only I lose another half a stone then I'll be so much faster." I have a long running addiction to maltesers that I am trying to kick. I am 5'4 and 8 st 7 lbs and would ideally like to be under 8 st.

g-dog - I would recommend getting a garmin. It has changed my running completely.

• Options
    Gdog- definitely. The only prob as I found out today is when they malfunction they are really annoying. 6m with 3 x 1500@5k pace is a very specific session. Garmin lost signal after 1m so had to rely on hr to guestimate the mile times.

Turned into 1m warm up 4m tempo 1m warm down.

When they work they're great. £230 is a lot of bucks.

My only worry in Cardiff is that if it goes after a couple of miles, that's a lot of weight carried round for a stopwatch!

P.S. Had a bottle of wine and kettle chips tonite!

1st in over a week

I promise no more as back at work tomorrow for 7 days straight.
  • Options
    Hi All

Just joining this thread because sub 3.15 is my aim for next year too, partly because I think its a realistic target for me and also as I am the wrong side of 40 it will get me a GFA time. I have a place for next year after deferring in 2006.

I have divided the time until FLM into a 12 week slot until mid December when with travel and Christmas I dont expect much running except ticking over for 3 weeks. Then that leaves 15 weeks until race day. The latter slot is no problem, a conventional buildup. But what should my training look like for this first 12 week preperiod? A bit like half marathon training??

I started this period fairly unfit but dont think it would take too long to get back to near the 41m 10km / 1.33 HM level that I had in 2006.

Cheers

Tim
  • Options
    cheers Odeon and CG- i think i'll be asking santa for one of them there garmin thingies...

are you going to use it to pace your marathon then odeon? could you place friend/family/relative at the half-way mark and drop it off to them if it's buggered?
  • Options
    VO2
    I have a mara prog I for which got me sub 3.15 if you want it mail me

or anyone else that might want a peek
  • Options
    Thanks for the programme T-C. Looks interesting, no runs above 20m tho some days with a 20+4 etc.

It also suggests a sub 39 10k two weeks before race day. Did you try a race around that time and if so were you as quick as that over 10k? Mcmillan calc has 38:50 10k = 3.02 Mara, I know these sites tend to extrapolate longer times too optimistically esp for ahem "older" runners still its a big diff to 3.15

Tim
  • Options
    Odeon
    Yes I know Johanne. She is on form at the moment and improving. It is mightily annoying. She breezed past me at FLM this year and took 3:05. I sort of squibbed out with a 3:11 (plan C). I would dearly like to do some of the longer runs together, so that I could do them faster. I live in Abbeymead. email me. I see it as a challenge to catch her shadow, but my only hope is in Bog City Season. (Nov-Dec-Jan)

As for the weight thing. I run for life. ie I run to be able to eat what I like, and to drink in immoderation. In reality I go fairly healthy mid week, but blow out at the weekend. Taper season is a dangerous time, as the weight stays on without the calorie burn off.

VO2 min
    Hilly (worship worship) has massively improved year on year by a very careful and managed training programme. The period prior to the trad 12 weeks is absolutely crucial. It is the time to build a routine of high and regular mileage. Daily, twice daily, high mileage and slow. Build from 50 to 80 mpw, even up to 100mpw (Sub 3 zone). Do a 15 miler every week leading to Christmas. The result is that come the New Year you are then ready for the long runs at a decent pace. They aren't a shock to the system (like mine), and you can cope with a 20 every week, as opposed to my fortnightly efforts.

Success comes to he who puts in the hard work.

Sorry.
  • Options
    vo2
    thats the exact prog I did

10k as well at lincoln
  • Options
    Hi

Just got my place through on GFA based on last year's time. Managed 3:20 last week on an undulating course in the USA, and am aiming for sub 3:15 in 2 weeks at Abingdon. A little close together for my liking, and it is very recovery dependent.

I find weight is key ... at the start of training I was 84.5 kg which is a little much for 1.72 m .... but 12 weeks of 40 to 55 mile weeks before tapering reduced that to 79 kg ish. Still too much ... I need to lose the same again to get out of the overweight band from a BMI standpoint. It is probably the key to getting quicker - both as there is then less to lug about, and as it reduces the chance of an enforced injury break.

Feeling much better for it so far though !
  • Options
    Good Luck for Abingdon DM, hope the recovery goes well.

I'm feeling OK after last Sunday's Loch Ness effort and even managed a hill session on Wednesday evening at the club. Winter gym sessions start on Monday evening for the indoor athletics season and will be doing a very steady long run tomorrow. Hang on to the fitness I built for Loch Ness but will ease off on the speed endurance. Need pure speed for the long jump and 60Metres Hurdles, but marathon work will just be steady running to maintain the base.
  • Options
    Well, blow me.
    Last week I did a mere 2 runs, both 6.5 miles. Monday and Friday.

Today I got my running slot, did 6.5 miles again and felt C.R.A.*. The legs were heavy, the breathing was hard work, nothing flowed. I did 7:23 m/m, and it should have flowed like Guinness on St. Paddy's Day, but it didn't.

I can't blame it on over traning, as I should have been at peak, but Blow Me, where's it all gone?
  • Options
    Blisters- Definitely up for that over the winter months (Shifts permitting)

Mate broke up with his missus (20 yrs) yesterday. 7 pints and 2 pitchers of kamikaze was the start of my carbo-loading.

Feel crap today. Cheered myself up by booking flights and hotel for Rome next year. Didn't realise there were 15k of cobbles?

6 to go...
  • Options
    Odeon

The cobbles are not bad ... it is a fabulous run ... the tricky bit is going within 400 m of the finish at around 22 miles, and heading in the opposite direction on a never ending out and back ! Enjoy.
  • Options
    Thx DM.

Best of Luck in Abingdon. Nice run in the US.

Will update with Cardiff later in week
  • Options
    Hi all, training going quite well here. Have my target race of the autumn, the Cabbage Patch 10, on Sunday. Target is 65 minutes, but I think I am a little short of that time at present. My plan is to run slightly inside PB pace (68:30) for the first 5 miles and then to run a slight negative split. Whether this happens on the day not, who knows, but I'm hoping a PB will happen whatever.

Good luck to everyone who has Cardiff and Abingdon this month. Happy training to the rest of you.
  • Options
    Did a few reps this evening.
    4x 1 mile
    Times disappointing by comparison with previous years.
    Consoled myself with a mansized serving of wild mushroom risotto, and narrowly survived the temptation of the cook's glass.
  • Options
    morning all.

lots of good running going on as always on the thread!

i've not started well with the pre-FLM preparation, and have tweaked my achilles and can't walk properly today. it's been a bit niggly all through the triathlon season but has now turned into what feels like a proper injury. i took a week off after my end of season half ironman tri, but i guess in hindsight i should have taken longer and rested up properly.

ho hum.

good luck to everybody racing soon.
  • Options
    G-dog. That's a burger.

I think I aimed for 4 weeks out with a pulled achilles, along with physio. In the first week I used lots of ice, and made a heel lift for my shoe to ease the stretching. (Just a bit of folded cloth really, placed in the heel). Taking lots of Gordons helped with the depression, but did nothing for the weight.
  • Options
    Bad luck GD, hope it is not serious.

Like TMW I'm racing a 10 mile on Sunday with a view to running 65 or under, this will be tight though on current form though, just not feeling right on top form at the moment, might be alright on the night though, we'll see.

Odeon, good luck Sunday, I expect a full (and positive) report next week.

DM, same for Abingdon.
  • Options
    cheers for the advice folks.

i don't think its too serious: definitely not pulled, just tweaked. and i can still cycle without any discomfort, so i'll be able to maintain some sort of fitness.
  • Options
    Thx Humph and good luck to everyone.

Will be wearing Garmin Gdog minus the hrm.

Gonna set it at 7mm and see how I get on.

I have a habit of always getting ahead of the time so hopefully it will again work!!

My general problem with pace is I might do 1 at 6.40 followed by 1 a 7.20. I also realised my mile pace during the mile is all over the shop. At least with virtual partner I can stay within 20 ft of the right pace. That's the plan anyway.

i don't think it is cheating either. Good enough for Haile and the rest, good enough for us.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hi TC!

I've sent you an email requesting a copy of your marathon programme - if you don't mind!

Thanks
    Minni
  • Options
    Well, I think that is Loch Ness out of my legs. I had a hard speed/endurance session last night and I was flying!! Just need to find an appropriate HM now to see if that has improved as much as my full marathon did. My benchmark is the 1.29.43 I did as the first half of Loch Ness last year as, believe it or not, I've not done a Half Marathon since Freckleton (my first one) back in 1979!!! Until 2002 that was the longest race I'd done. Of course I have no idea at all what time I did back then.

Good Luck with Cardiff Odeon, and you with Abingdon DM. .. and anyone else whose up for either of those. Look forward to hearing reports next week. Hope the achilles is easing GD.

My GFA Registration arrived yesterday morning and was turned right around and sent off in the afternoon so that's me entered. 031365

Keep up the good work one and all.
  • Options
    achilles feeling much better today thanks folks. i'm actually thinking that i might have been a bit of a wuss moaning about it in the first place and that it really isn't too bad at all.

may even try to run (easy) this weekend.

good luck at cardiff odeon- will be really interested to hear how the pacing with the garmin works out.

and its defintiely not cheating. cheating would be to use something that enhanced performance. the garmin can't possibly make you go any faster, it can only pace you through the race.
  • Options
    I bet he's been training.

That counts as cheating in my book too.

Good luck Odeon, and drop us an email when you want a hobble aroung the parish.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all racing this w/e

I've had a record week by my modest standards - Sat: 13m Mon:3.5 in soft sand on the beach Weds: 21m Fri:6m

It almost makes up for working all weekend....
  • Options
    For me......

3.09.17 PB by 10.5 mins.

Well Happy

Full report to follow after bath but chuffed. Garmin not worth bothering with...