Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

1838839840841842844»

Comments

• Options

Thanks very much for all your Help MM, hats off to you for doing that, it was a great read.

I am working my way through the schedules you posted for me on the previous page, so thanks once again for that, am building my training spreadsheet as we speak on the back of that.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Read it mid lesson. image 

Absolutely fantastic. About the 3rd or 4th time I've read this and every time I learn something else (this time I am wondering if I feel a bit run down yesterday and today after averaging 7.47 pace on my LSR on Sunday). Thanks for posting again MM. Inspiring stuff.. image

• Options
    SteveC1975 wrote (see)

Thanks very much for all your Help MM, hats off to you for doing that, it was a great read.

I am working my way through the schedules you posted for me on the previous page, so thanks once again for that, am building my training spreadsheet as we speak on the back of that.

If you want to become the thread's pet project as it were then feel free to post up your schedule for us to comment on and/or help with. I realise the thread is moving on with most of the posters more at the '3' end of the 'sub 3h15' but it doesn't mean we don't remember how to do 3h14m59s off 40mpw av (or maybe less). Like I said, the basics are the same, it's just the time spent doing them that is the difference.

This thread (and the posters on it) have helped me enormously in various guises over the past 2 years and I'd like to pass the help/advice on where possible

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I think having Steve as the Thread Guinea Pig sounds a marvellous idea.
  • Options

Yeah, can we poke him and make him eat nasty things to see what happens?!

Keir wrote (see)

Read it mid lesson. image

What do you mean? That was the lesson.

A very interesting read MM. And lots to take away too.

MsE - I had a look at the Youtube vid you mentioned earlier and it was horrendous. In the strange helter-skelter that is watching videos on Youtube, I also saw an amusing one of 2 women who were doing a synchronised wobbling just before the IM finish line.
    I'm not sure how much advice you can get on this thread regarding fuelling for a HIM but I believe competitors try to shove as much food down their throats as possible on the bike, in readiness for the run.  Perhaps if he's lurking TR might pop in to give you some advice. Or maybe you could knock on the door of the sub3 thread as there are a few IM and HIMers in there.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Are we allowed to stick needles into him, or just stroke him from afar?

Matchstick Man wrote (see)

I realise the thread is moving on with most of the posters more at the '3' end of the 'sub 3h15'  
    Brings us back to the thread name change thing around page 1200 of this thread. Any more happening with that, or are we staying put?
  • Options
    MsE wrote (see)
    Experienced marathoners/endurance athletes of the forum! Please can you talk to me about The Wall? I have just watched some clips on YouTube and one, in particular, of Paula Newby Fraser in 1995 was not pleasant to see. What is the best way to ensure I avoid this in April and during my HIM? I have a feeling that a combination of training and fuel is the answer...?

questions about tri-stuff I'd ask on the triathlon forum but from a purely marathon perspective the wall is more of a Daily Mail construct. It's something that is easily avoided through decent endurance in training and nutrition in the days leading up to the race, the morning of the race and during the race itself. There's plenty of us here who've managed a negative split during a marathon so it shows that "the wall" is something that people who don't train enough or who aren't diligent enough with their nutrition tend to experience.

tbh, after 20 miles pretty much all of us want to stop and the last 10km is ruddy painful but it's that challenge that we look forward to. Right? image

• Options
    Keir wrote (see)

Are we allowed to stick needles into him, or just stroke him from afar?

I realise the thread is moving on with most of the posters more at the '3' end of the 'sub 3h15'  
    Brings us back to the thread name change thing around page 1200 of this thread. Any more happening with that, or are we staying put?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=168846&last=1&V=7&SP=

let's go!

• Options

Ok, but before we all go can I just draw the thread's attention to.....

Ideal week (for me) if I was planning a schedule would look like:

imageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Opportunities for ripping it out of me exist on the "other side" image
  • Options

I don't mind being the thread guinea pig (especially apt as I am on my fourth Krispy Kreme doughnut of the day (someone's birthday is the excuse)

Will post up my excel file link or screenshots when I have had a chance to look at the P & D schedules.

A few changes I am thinking about, the 20th Mar - Brentwood Half is to run that at HM Pace rather than at MP, but in the context of the training week, i.e. no taper etc, thoughts?

Also, in Mid March onwards, I usually start my rides into work, this is about 16 miles each way, should I can them and wait until after VLM or use them as cross training, in the place of a recovery run?

• Options

Are we all de-camping to that other thread then ?? Will it be scary

MsE - like Keir said - orthotics solved my knee pain 100%. I splashed out and got a proper assessment by a biomechanics guy and he made me custom shaped ones. Utter agony breaking them in but I know struggle to wear any shoes without them.

Great stuff there MM. How do you manage to be so organised ! You must be cutting/pasting and organising sub folders twenty four seven ! I like your view of "the wall" as a Daily Mail construct. I don't think it really should exist for anyone at our humble level since we're all prepared to put in the hours training and be sensible.

Steve - as our experimental subject just how far are you prepared to go ?? You wouldn't mind if you start getting hairy palms or growing pert little breasts would you ?? On a more serious note - good luck and I'll attempt to chip in as you progress. Hope I didn't sound overly negative the other day but - like most of us- having been through injury it really is a pi$$er and avoidance of overdoing it and imploding should be number one priority in my book. I find it's taken me about 3 or 4 years to get to the point where 50-60 miles a week as a base doesn't feel too arduous

• Options
    Glad MM 'fessed up to cutting and pasting that lot - for a moment I thought the self-obsessed saddo had typed it all out afresh! image (actually it's all well thought through and very helpful, specially to those of us that haven't got quite as much time as we'd like to fit everything in).

Anyway - back to me, me, me: Microspikes-a-go-go again - 5m, icy canal, on my own at about 7:20 pace. These really are cracking bits of kit - that's three runs that i've got in that would have been at best a slippy slidy struggle, at worst an injury-fest.

Also hot news this week from the aire valley is our posh new showers are nearly ready. As "regular users" we got a VIP preview yesterday - 6 showers in tbe blokes, plus lockers (as regulars we get our own), drying room (we get our own lockable cage) and undercover bike storage. The neck end of a hundred grand, just because someone asked the CEO if he had any plans to improve facilities for cyclists!
  • Options
    AfE We've allegedly moved......to the non "2009" Sub 3:15 thread.
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

http://www.channel4.com/assets/programmes/images/relocation-relocation/series-3/relocation-relocation-s3-20090616144103_625x352.jpg

Just in case you missed MM's message on the previous page, we've relocated to:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=168846&last=1&V=7&SP=