Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options
    TMW,

I did my first mara when I was 24: 3.28. I think the age thing is probably more relevant in relation to how long you've been running rather than youth per se. Although I believe endurance runners do peak in their late 20s/early 30s. here's hoping (27 - and I was one of the youngest on the 2006 sub-3:15 thread...)
  • Options
    A question.

I posted off my request to FLM for a GFA form, enclosing the requisite proof of performance and proof of age.

But I've not heard a dicky since.

Are they just slow this year?
    Or (yawn) should I chase them?
    - gawd I sound like a newbie.......
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Blisters.. someone recently reported on another thread that the FLM office were sending the GFA forms out imminently. I ain't got mine either. Patience me old chum!
  • Options
    Good.
    Thanks for that Wardi, I was starting to get twitchy.

Oh shoot. That reminds me. Must book hotels.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. I took a huge step towards 3:15 this weekend. I did 18.4 mile relay stage at the Round Norfolk Relay, planning on about 8 minute miling. However once I got the baton I hared off and just kept churning out the low 7 minute miles, finished with 2:14 for the stage, which is 7:17 miling and 3:11 marathon pace. I was tiring by the end, but it's given me a mega confidence boost, considering I've never done a long run faster than 8:26 pace before.

It was on gently undulating country lanes (Norfolk is not flat!) and beginning at 2am (having been up since 6:30am), and with no other runners around for most of my stage so not a typical racing environment.
  • Options
    Nice one TMW don't peak to early though!!!
  • Options
    I'm not aiming for 3:15 until the Spring, unless I recover from the triple very quickly and have a go at Luton in December.
  • Options
    TMW - go for Luton. Why not? It won't be as crowded as the obvious spring one, and would then take away the pressure.

For me:
    did a 21.5 miler on Friday undulating, but at 8:05m/m pace. I felt reasonably strong, but that sort of pace for the route is a predictor for a 3:05 to 3:11.

More to do.
  • Options
    Blisters, Wardi - I posted my GFA letter off way back in August, so I'm getting fidgety too! Let me know if you receive anything... i'll do likewise.
  • Options
    The way I feel at the moment GFA just means me being able to put one of my feet in front of the other and keep swapping feet for a while :-)

Absolutely fabulous running on the Southern Upland Way this weekend, too much to drink, to much to eat some great company and 15 miles friday afternoon, 22 miles Saturday afternoon and 12 miles Sunday morning.

All off road apart from six miles on Saturday.
  • Options
    Nice running TWA,and as you say a good confidence booster.

Blisters, also a darned good run ...I' m curious how you calculated a race time prediction from your training run.

Sounds like you hasd a busy weekend Hamertime, wow, thats about 2 weeks of training for me!

I' ve also had a good few days ....won the club handicap race on Thursday night (in absolutely torrential rain). Although I was given what I thought was a "favourable" handicap, I was still pleased to finish first, probably the only time I ever will :-)

On Saturday I knocked over a minute off my best time on a favourite 10 mile route, and still felt there was more in the tank. Got a 10k next Sunday so might take it a bit easy this week.

Happy running, folks.

• Options
    Dave it's highly scientific and involves a higher level degree in mathematics, laborious studies of data from hundreds of runners over multiple seasons.

Alternatively, I just look back into my running diaries for the past 2 years.

(Caveat: I use the same 21.5 mile route, in the same direction. My FLM06 result was 3:11. My FLM05 result was er 3:06.)
  • Options
    DDave : how rude of me not to congratulate you on the fantastic first place! What a brilliant result. I've managed 2nd place in a handicap race and was well chuffed. I think that they are the most exciting form of racing. The next year I raced it I got well penalised :-(

PS If you're up for it, why not try doing tonight's run as fartlek? Intersperse 5 minutes jog with 2 minutes flat out?
  • Options
    Well done DD and good running TMW, Hamertime and Blisters. It makes me feel a bit of an imposter on this thread.

Re the GFA forms - they are being sent out at the end of September so should be any time now.

Did my first post marathon run yesterday - 7 miles offroad and hilly at 8.30 pace which I've noticed is exactly the same pace as my 7 mile post FLM run. Calfs still feel a bit achy but nothing I can't cope with. Am intending to do some 800m intervals tomorrow as have done no speed work for months.
  • Options
    CC
    Sounds OK to me. I'm usually guilty of running too slowly in training, hence stagnating in my achievements. There's 2 broad schools of thought.
    1- fewer weekly miles at a higher intensity, with plenty of shorter races in the mix.
    2- high mileage at a lower pace, focussing carefully on the big races. Build in some speed work at defined times.

Sadly, I find that life forces me into late night running after eating at 9pm. So it's lower mileage, and lower intensity.
    One of the big tips from Mike Gratton was that I tended to plod out my 20 mile runs. He recommended that I pulled out the finger and tried to input a bit of effort, but he did so politely!

8:30m/m is AOK for offroad and hilly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification Blisters, I was just about to reach for my pocket supercomputer. Mike Gratton is a high mileage devotee isn't he? I won' t be listening to hime then :-)
    My long run strategy is to try and do 'em all at 8m/m or under, just gradually increasing the distance. I think if I could get to a 22 mile training run at about 7.50 pace, 3.15 might be on the cards. Does that sound feasible to those who already have 3.15 under their belts?

CG - your 7 miler sounds like a good run to me!

Out at 5.45 this morning ...dark and windy.

Couldn' t quite decide what sort of a run to do today. Ended up doing about 10k at HM pace, with 2 x 1000m in the middle at 5k pace. Bit of a shock to the system, but the pre-run caffeine probably helped.

• Options
    Blisters - I too am guilty of the 20 mile plodding runs but it is difficult to input speed when the route I run consists of 9 miles of hills (and they is big hills!)Like DD it is my ultimate aim to do around 7:50 pace but anything under 8 m/m would be good.

DD - your run sounds fantastic. I do a lot of my speed sessions early in the morning so my brain doesn't have a chance to wake up and say "no chance".

Did 1m warm up, 4 x 800m with 2 min rec and 1 m cool down. Average pace only 14.5 km/h so some work to do.
  • Options
    I recognise that feeling Cat Girl - am queen of procrastination unless I'm out of the door almost the instant I get up...!

To continue the GFA discussion - if anyone is feeling as twitchy as I was this morning I'd suggest phoning them up.

I did this morning - got a lovely lady who looked me up on the system, confirmed I was in and promised to send the form out today. Whole thing took 5 minutes.

With any luck I'll have the application form when I get back tomorrow evening and I can post it off before I go to Berlin. :-)
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Speed sessions first thing in the morning? Thud... (sound of H collapsing at the mere thought) Fair play to those that manage it, I can only get the body in gear for faster runs at lunchtimes or early evening.

Quick update on progress, 70 miles in last 10 days including:

1 x 13 miles easy
    Speed - 6 x 800m @ 16.2kph with 90 secs recoveries @ 12 kph
    Club hill session (v tough!)
    6 miles at marathon pace, ave 7:05 m/m holding 76% WHR which is encouraging
    Plenty of easy running.

Club track session tonight which could get a bit lively!

GFA is still 2 years and 3 minutes 14 seconds away for me.

DD good work, 2 nice results there.

TMW with all your distance work your base should be there, just the icing to go, why not have a go at Luton if your recovery from the triple is good?
  • Options
    A bit cryptic Humph ...erm ...does that mean you have a birthday today? .. or am I missing something??
  • Options
    Sorry DD, no birthday just a response to all the GFA entries discussion, I am:

Too young by 2 years (and a bit) for GFA and too slow by 3 mins 14 secs anyway based on 2006 result.
  • Options
    Second speed session last night, just 4 x 800 at 2.55 pace. Hell they hurt! I've got some work to do!
  • Options
    hey up.

lots of good running going on here: great stuff everyone. i'm escpecially in awe of all the quality speedwork people are getting in.

i've posted my FLM application (5 rejections in a row so i should be in automatically), i've got my last triathlon of the season on sunday (new forest half ironman), and i'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the dedicated 3-15 marathon training in a couple of weeks.

cheers all.

g-d.
  • Options
    GD well done on the guaranteed entry. Just got that dreaded training to do now...

I find difficulty with motivation for speed work too. I can only do it in the evening, before tea. That gives me two options. The club session at the track, or find a slot midweek to do it solo. As most of my efforts are late evening, it's tough.

A case of life getting in the way.
  • Options
    cheers gd.

nice to hear that others find the speedwork mentally tough as well: it's definitely the workout that makes me most worried, mainly becuase it's normally speedwork which leads to injuries for me.

more often than not, i'll wuss out of the speedwork and do a tempo run instead.

maybe that's why i missed out on 3-15 by a handful of seconds last time i ran FLM...
  • Options
    I doubt that GD. A hard tempo session has a lot of value. Turning it down into a repeat plod - now that's how I missed out.

The biggest single session that I introduced to make the difference was doing 1 mile repeats. They aren't as punishing as 800 or 400s, and have far more translatable value.

1 mile w/u
    brief rest
    1 mile fast
    2 min rest
    1 mile back again
    2 min rest
    1 mile fast
    2 min
    1 mile fast
    2 min
    1 mile jog home

A decent session. The aim is to get the reps consistent, at 6:10 or better.

It made a difference with me, quite quickly too.
  • Options
    nice session that blisters.

i reckon you're right about the longer intervals being more marathon-relevant than the 400m ones you find in a lot of scehdules.

i'll give that a go when i put my bike to bed for winter!
  • Options
    Seriously impressed by all this speedwork going on. I think I managed about 4 sessions so far this year, in the summer months whilst I was focussing on a few 10ks. Are people sharpening for Autumn marathons? Or do you just do speedwork all year round?

Blisters the temptation to go for Luton is quite great, but I won't know how recovered I am until a few week before. I feel for sure that I could run 3:20ish, but not sure that racing a marathon is the best thing to following a month of low-mileage recovery. I'd rather be base-building for the Spring. It's no surprise I love the high mileage rather than the intense workouts!
  • Options
    28712 got my GFA this morning