Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

B&B - I've always liked the logo of that marthon for Loch Ness. When I was at the expo at VLM this year I asked the guy on their stall if I could prove my surname could I get in for free - I share my surname with the sponsor. He said no, so I've not entered, and now only consume Heinz soup!

Ant - I love Brighton, it's a great place to be and would move there in a flash if I could afford it! Did my 2000m reps last night in 6.12 - 6.19 minute mile pace with my fastest being 6.06 pace.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Choosing a marathon by the attractiveness of its logo? - I guess there could be worse ways KR!

Ant - The tight union jack shorts should be perfect for a rural fun runimage

Good intervals there KR although 2K sounds like a long way for an interval.  Remind me - are you running one of the Autumn marathons?

B&B - I'm working on the PMAimageimage

A bit of a sad day today - last of the mid-week 14/15 mile runs.  Only 12m scheduled for next week once the taper kicks in.  I was mentally geared up for a fast one but then discovered the battery on the Garmin was flat when I was about to set off.  Bit time pressured so just had to go for it garminless.  The result was I probably set off a bit fast and increased the pace too quickly but 8 mins faster than the same run last week is not too be sniffed atimage

• Options
    Blisters and beer wrote (see)
    Scooby Dudek wrote (see)
    Wanting to live in Yorkshire??? It makes a Lancastrian lad sad indeed.

Sorry Scoobs. I'm from Dorset originally so a country boy through and through. Anyway, I thought you were a Scouser? Those Merseysiders wanna make up their mind where they're from image

I change where I am from (or percentage of) depending on what argument I can have. I find it is good to be consistantly inconsistant, just to confuse people. I am mostly 24% Spanish (varies depending on current football and the country I am in), 25% Polish (varies depending on how much the wife/daughter have annoyed me) and 51% Scouse (varies but never goes below 51%).

KR Impressive reps

Ant Do you know of any other strike dates in Spain? I am due to return to Barcelona first week of Oct.

Nice gentle 8.4km for me today in 41mins. Low and behold the slow running has brought the left calf niggle back. Hopefully just a minor nerve issue as the physio stated. I have been doing calf exercises everyday this week, see as it goes. 

• Options

x post   SBD  Again all the infomation is pointing towards it coming together. How much harder/easier did the run feel today?

• Options

SBD - keep the faith. 3 weeks is still time to adapt. A lot of it's in the head. I think there's alot to be said for doing the easy and steady "filler" type runs on a familiar course sans Garmin and running to feel.

Calf def easing though tight today for a gentle 6 miles after yesterday's pumelling. Day off tomorrow then easy 4 Fri and see how it's feeling. Having had an injury free campaign thus far I really don't want to blow it now.

Ant - do you sometimes wear those shorts for casual evening strolls round Oviedo ? You'd be the talk of the town

• Options

SBD - A sad day? I'd call it one of unbounded happiness, but then as the lovely Astride (what of her? Sigh...) once pointed out, some people enjoy this running lark more than others. Fwiw, I think 2k reps are a great idea. In fact, at the height of my fitness (*gets moist-eyed*) I would do a 2m warm-up at a tidy pace, thwn 3 x 3k @ 6:10mm and then 2m back home.

Scooby - I don't think there are ever strikes/volcanic ash clouds/weather problems (fog) unless I'm travelling. So I think you'll be all right, la'.

Fraser - Funny. Actually, Sunday was the first time I'd worn the things. Outside the bedroom, that is image.

• Options

Aaaaah, you're a funny bunch on here. If/when I realise I hate running because it's painful and time consuming I might still lurk for the humour and self-deprecation.

Come on Ant, you'll be back to what must be hideous 3 x 3k at whatever in no time. You might want to invest in some shorts that allow your legs to move freely though. Ok, last dig.

Fraser - Never had a massage as I'm too ticklish but it sounds like it gives a right good bruising! Please take the extra day if you feel you need it. You won't lose anything now but you know that.

KR - Re Loch Ness...I'd have told you to bugger off too! But maybe that's cos the only race that would fit my surname would be a swimming one, up a river. Now I've had a look, your reps were pretty close to last week when you hadn't run 15 miles a couple of days beforehand. Nice work. For the record I always make my own soup but according to the bi-weekly emails their soup would make me a much quicker runner and probably a better person. Is that a 'Catch 57' situation?

Scooby - image

SBD - 30 seconds per mile?image

• Options

Back down south after a few days away - plenty of chortling in connection with Ant's photo!

3 x 1 mile reps with 2 min recoveries round St Stephen's Green in Dublin - first 2 at around 6:40, the final one at 6:2. Nowhere near as fast as some of the folks on here, but I was OK with it.

10 miles this morning in a very wet Glasgow - I don't know whether I just didn't find the most scenic route away from the centre but in all the times I've gone running when I've stayed up there, I've never found a route which didn't involve running alongside a busy road for the duration. Can any of you locals help out with a recommendation for next time? Assume a start point near Buchanan bus station

• Options
    KR - Re Loch Ness...I'd have told you to bugger off too! But maybe that's cos the only race that would fit my surname would be a swimming one, up a river. Now I've had a look, your reps were pretty close to last week when you hadn't run 15 miles a couple of days beforehand. Nice work. For the record I always make my own soup but according to the bi-weekly emails their soup would make me a much quicker runner and probably a better person. Is that a 'Catch 57' situation?

Very good B&B - like the catch 57. And re Loch Ness, if you don't ask you don't get - sometimes you have to be a bit cheeky.

Yes last weeks reps were a bit quicker and did them on fresher legs than this week. But then sometimes training on tired legs is all part of the bigger picture, feeling what it's like outside the comfort zone.

SBD - Not got an Autumn marathon planned, but doing the Leicester Half on 10th October (brilliant date 10.10.10). Hopefully should set me up for Brighton next April. The 2k reps are a good session for running economy and helps to lock in at a certain pace. I'm defo going to incorporate these into my next marathon training.

Ant - do you have to pay for the toilets on the Easy Jet planes? Hope you don't get delayed and enjoy your break here.

Edited for waffling too much!

• Options

..................But maybe that's cos the only race that would fit my surname would be a swimming one, up a river.

Eh?  Upsh*tcreekwithnopaddle or is it hyphenated? image.

Nice reps KR.

Lorenzo, a martyr to the cause, ensuring you get out when you're away.  Can't really help you in the land of the wegie, apart from don't head directly north towards PossilPark (if it still exists, used to be quite infamous)

• Options
    I was born in Liverpool but am definitely Lancastrian - because it was in Lancashire when I was born. However I was brought up a Cumbrian as the bit of Lancs we lived in (known as "Lancashire over Sands") was subsumed into Cumbria along with Cumberland, Westmorland and some bits of Yorkshire.

I now live in Yorkshire, and have to confess the bit I live in is just about ok, but the Red Rose county it is not. It's a cracking place to go running/cycling/climbing and (mrs AfE tells me) shopping.

Up in Newcastle last night staying on the quayside so ran up river as far as the path allowed (1.9m), then back a bit, then back the other way again. 6 wet miles with (as recommended by Dr Martyn) 3x1/2m efforts - first one 3:15, second 3:10, third 3:04 and all felt comfortable.
  • Options

Yes, well of course my flight today has been cancelled because of the Air Traffic Controllers' strike in France. There's no flight from Asturias til Saturday, and it'd be hardly worth me going then as I'm coming back on Wednesday. Besides, the main reason I'm going is to celebrate my birthday, which is on Saturday. My Mum and brothers have got something planned for all day Saturday, so to miss that woud be ridiculous.

So, what I'm doing is getting the bus at 1.00 tonight to Bilbao, getting in at 5:15, for a plane to Stansted at 10:25.  Hardly convenient, but there you go.

I cannot beLIEVE my bad luck.

With the suitcase all ready I went out early and did 6.3m on a hilly course, half-way up the mountain, along, and down throught the city. CNBA was very strong, but I managed to overcome it.

• Options
    Bad luck with the travel arrangements Ant - happy birthday & hope the party is worth while - 'avit large!
  • Options
    yeah - happy birthday Ant - enjoy it despite the travel chaos.
  • Options

I third that, you poor person. Enjoy your party but to err on the side of caution and avoid any further bad luck mishaps, don't drink any alcohol, don't do any dancing and try not to eat anything that's been on the buffet table for more than 10 minutes!

Windy - Can't believe you guessed my name first time.

• Options

Ant - bad luck, but sounds like you've got plenty of time for a 20 miler around the streets of Bilbao before your plane leaves image Have a great birthday - are you celebrating down Epsom way (isn't that where your folks are?)

AfE- I'm surprised. I always had you down as a Yorkshire lad! Your approach to county boundary changes reminds me of my Dad's uncles and aunts who, despite Warrington "moving" from Lancashire to Cheshire, always maintained they lived in Lancashire. Clearly the Red Rose blood effect!

• Options

Quit it with the Yorkshire bashing you lot.

Fair enough, I'm biased but it is without doubt one of the most beautiful counties in the UK with some of the friendliest call a spade a spade people you could ever wish to meet.

Running, doing some.

Ant have a good birthday and hope you get here ok!

• Options

Jase - don't get me wrong. I certainly wouldn't go around Yorkshire bashing - my missus is from oop there and the in-laws still head out into the Dales to go whippet spotting at a weekend image.

As someone born in Kent (not too bad and my sporting allegiances still lie with the cricket team (not a good season) and the mightly Maidstone Utd) and brought up in Hertfordhsire (can you name anything famous in Hertfordshire apart from St Albans and Hatfield House?!) I certainly can't get into defending my homelands in the face of the might of Yorkshire!!

• Options
    Lorenzo - from my relatively limited experience of Glasgow city centre it is very car oriented.  Best bet would be to head towards Kelvingrove Park (or even get the subway to Kelvinbridge station), run roughly north/north east along the River Kelvin and after a few miles you can join the Forth & Clyde Canal.  It's not stunningly beautiful at times, but it's tolerable and it has the advantage that you won't get lost...
  • Options

Lorenzo - I was actually thinking of getting a run in in Bilbao (lack of showers may scupper that, though) - I may even go and visit the site of my "Paula Radcliffe Roadside" incident there last October!

Jools is spot-on with those Glasgow running recommendations. Good, wholesome industrial landscapes to be had.

Thanks for the good wishes, everybody.

• Options

I live in Hertforshire and I can assure anyone who has never visited that very few remain unmoved by the eyecatching Hemel Hempsted, the wonder of Watford or the stirring sights of Stevenage.

As someone who comes from Brizzle which was in the county of Avon when I lived there I find it hard to feel the same stirring pride for my home county. I do feel like a West Country boy through and through though.

Ant - happy birthday which you share with my daughter. In fact this Sat will mark the start of my own 40th celebrations (birthday not until the first week of Oct though).

Now where did I leave my tractor...

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Andy, have you not been home sine the GNR?

Surely Cumbria has better landscape that Yorkshire?

• Options
    Let's not forget the majestic heathland and downland scenery in Surrey.
  • Options
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)
    excluding Croydon!
  • Options
    I'm from Dorset originally so a country boy through and through. 
    A.C wrote (see)

I do feel like a West Country boy through and through though.

Sorry AC, it's a lovely offer but my girlfriend might have something to say about it. Not even cos it's your birthday image

OO - I started to type that I thought one couldn't be chosen over the other but actually I do think I prefer Cumbria with its mud flat beaches of Haverigg, the huge Grizedale Forest, craggy mountains, beautiful passes and sleepy meres. Having cycled pretty much the whole Trans Pennine TraiI, I do think Yorkshire is a wonderful place too though and offers many contrasts of scenery, from the bleak Pennines and Moors, distant horizons of Goole and green rolling hills of Beverley.

Still, Dorset's better though image

• Options

Jools - thanks for the Glasgow recommendation. The irony is that my run took me over the River Kelvin and I'd seen it on a map but when I'd asked the guy in the hotel I was staying whether there was a path alongside it, he said he didn't think there was. Lesson learnt not to believe the locals.

Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Apparently Surrey is the county with the highest percentage of woodland in Britain. Loads and loads of tracks to run along.

• Options

Lorenzo  - I live gentrified Edinburgh so my short answer to your "nice places to run in Greater Glasgow" question would be - there ain't any. Best bet would be to head to the optimistically named Pollock "Country" Park (?!) though it's not exactly big. Just don't head into the wrong districts or you'll be doing sub 5,30 miles through necessity rather than choice

Wouldn't forget my biggoted Yorkshire roots though and it goes without saying it is obviously the biggest and best county for everything....hmmmm.

Bad luck Ant - you must be to the travel industry what William H Macy was to gambling- was that film called the Cooler ??? Merely the sight of your name on the passenger list is a guarantee of bad luck. Hope it works out for you

Calf much improved today though extreme caution being exercised

• Options

Asturias is pretty tasty, too:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/Gallery/images.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/Gallery/imagesCAB2GBTB.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/Gallery/imagesCAXHSL0S.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/83537/Gallery/imagesCAV4UT0I.jpg

• Options

kinell Ant - you working for the tourist board?!   

lol B&B

• Options
    looks pretty hilly there Ant. some stunning views.