Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options

Non runners or new runners often have very little concept of just how fast the front runners are. We had a new club member come along to one of the Thames Valley 5k series races, her first ever race, and about 10 seconds before the start, too late to move her, I saw her in front of me, lined up right on the start line with all the 15 & 16 minute guys - she finished in just over 30 minutes. When I talked to her about it after the race she just said that she had assumed that starting at the front was a good thing to do, and that she'd been really surprised to nearly get barged off the road by 250 faster runners. Parkrun is another example - you often get new runners lined up right at the front simply because they don't know any better. We had a guy not so long ago line up at the front with two kids aged 8 or 9 - I had a quiet word in his ear and suggested he should move back. I simply hadn't occured to him that he was going to be so much slower than most of the field.

Oddly the one exception I find these days would appear to be the marathon. I think practically everybody knows someone who has 'run' one of the big half marathons or London marathon and taken 5 or 6 hours to do it. Thus when they ask and you tell them you've run close to 3 hours they're actually quite complimentary. Or maybe that's just because I don't look like a runner!

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

On the GNR nostalga, I ran it for the only time in 1983.  They had infromal pens then and I lined up at around the 1:25 mark, which strangely enough is about where I finished.  You got a pretty good run from this starting position, not that crowded over the first mile and not that many overly optimistic runners.  I managed to find GNR pictures from 1983 - they're scary!

GNR in 1983

Great runs from OO and Andy.  Obviously the key to this running lark is to run less!

A spirited run from Ant even if the fat bloke did beat him!

Good training from everyone elseimage

Exam for me yesterday which has been occupying my time and mind for the last week.  Did the 10K park run on Saturday, solo 5K in 20:38 then official 5K in 19:50.  It felt like I was running fast but the times were a bit on the depressingly slow side.  Being beaten by fat blokes wearing skins and go faster running shoes doesn't help eitherimage

Sunday was 17 miles and for some strange reason I had the best LSR I've had for this campaign to date.  I had to be back for 9.00am to take the oldest to football so had to leave at 6:30 without breakfast.  I also decided not to bother with the gels or LS and just run on Buckinghamshire air.  Expected the worst but ended up running the last 8 miles at 7:04 m/m pace.  A strange thing this running businessimage

• Options

Nice pace SBD! I never take drinks with me on a run. Partly because I don't want to look like the running gear clad people walking round the park with 15 litres of sports drink...calories burnt: 500, calories consumed: 1,000. And secondly because I hate carrying stuff when I run. Urrgh...sweaty palms! I reckon all I'll take in the marathon will be a bag of jelly babies.

The GNR pic is good. Is that Alan Shearer at the front?! And are you the one with the beard?!

Not quite sure why you're disappointed with a not too important 10k in 40:28 on Saturday. Seems like a good workout to me.

OO - Really good time in the GNR - I'd be ecstatic with that but then you have higher standards.

Ant - There's no room in those shorts for any embarrassing moments following that woman, is there?

Had a go at intervals last night but absolutely cocked it up due to not having previously used that function on the Garmin. Only ended up doing about 4.5 miles, most of which weren't recorded, and I only have the stats for 1 interval and 1.37 miles in total. Derrrr! 0.5 miles in 2:58 is about all I can get out of it! I'm pretending it was an informal fartlek session. Must admit I was in a bit of a sulk when I arrived at my GF's!

How's the tapering going FW?

• Options

Cracking pic SBD, I especially like the 'moob-top' vest as sported by No. 1143. 
    (hope the exam went well, a 40.28 10k isn't bad in a heavy training week and with a HM last week'ish)

B&B, bad luck on the intervals, I have to admit to having never attempted to programme my garmin. 

• Options
    B&B - my garmin is the equivelent of a washing machine. There are loads of fancy features on it but I usually only use 2 - Start and Stop!
  • Options
    To be honest, I wasn't that bothered (once I'd got a grip!). I shouldn't have been doing them so close to m-day anyway. It was only you KR, and AC that had inspired me to have a go! Was planning a fairly longish run this eve and it would have put paid to that too.
  • Options

8M for me at lunchtime.  Pushed the pace slightly to end up with 7.33m/m and felt ok, although still have lingering after-effects of cold/virus.

Then had a massage, which seems to have improved things a lot.  Decided to give 'guy with penchant for asking slightly inappropriate questions about menstrual cycle' another shot; no inappropriate questions, but he still listens to whale music.  Dear God.

• Options

whale music. better than justin bieber which is my daughters' music of choice.

I also did 8 (.42) miles today - boy what a deliciously warm and sunny evening to be out running in the woods. I just love autumn.

Looks like B&B has a bit of taper madness kicking in. Remember the rules. Don't change anything and don't try anything  new when you are close to m-day. When is m-day by the way?

SBD - nice pic - interesting hairy man behind you in the funnel. glad to hear things clicked with your longer run.

What's the next race then Ant?

• Options

B and B - taper underway but Moraghan has me doing alot more in a 2 week taper than I've done for previous campaigns. Will just do what he suggests ! Have had a very mild niggle in left caf so had an ouchy massage today and I can really tell she's been a-proddin' at me. Hopefully 12 days is plenty for it to settle. Prob taper-insania. Would be good to meet up for a chin wag at the start. I'll be the slightly apprehensive looking middle aged bloke in a vest and shorts. You can't miss me!

Oh - and like AC says - stop doing those daft intervals for these next 2 weeks ! Simmering only

Looks like your masseur must win the inappropriateness prize Jools. Is he postulating some link between his magic thumbs and your menstrual cycle ??

8 today for me incorporating 3 * 1.5 miles at HMP. Came out at 6.16,6.10 and 6.11 pace for the three efforts.

• Options
    Told myself that if I woke up with achy legs I wouldn't cycle in today, but despite the still achy legs I did - pedalling seemed easier than walking downstairs, actually...

However it was well worth it - foggy going over the top into Airedale then it cleared to reveal a nice bit of cloud inversion.

26 miles of riding, nearly 3000' of climbing and a good couple of hours workout for the heart and lungs.  Grand.   
  • Options

The Menstrual cycle?  Has that got a carbon frame and a Shimano groupset?

I'll stick to running (which is loose description at the moment for hobbling)

Jools, glad to see you are mobile once again, Full Mara back on?

FW, If it is more in a 2 week taper than you've done for the previous campaigns does that mean more than just a just a 12 for the weekend? 

• Options
    So AfE can you now walk up and down the stairs after the cycling today?
  • Options
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)
      Being beaten by fat blokes wearing skins and go faster running shoes doesn't help either

Hey, I wasn't even running this week - I was overseeing the results! image

Better session tonight after the Sunday horror - 10 x 400 with 1 min rest. Turned out to be 425m for my group and I managed 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:33, 1:33, 1:32, 1:33, 1:29, 1:31,1:31, which is 5:51 per mile average. Wasn't completely flat out as there was a lot of weaving through traffic - the 1:29 was one where I got a completely clear run. It was comfortably hard - I wouldnt have been able to go a lot faster, but I felt like I could have done a few more at that pace. I think I've still got most of my basic speed - I just have no stamina at the moment. Altogether more encouraging than Sunday however.

• Options

BOTF - very nice consistency. Always nice to do the later intervals quicker eh. Images of you ducking and weaving along the fast lane of a dual carriageway power running in a Terminator 2 style are springing to mind!

Windy - in time honoured fashion this weekend is 12. Bit more MP stuff than I've done before for this week and next. Mind you I think I over tapered for VLM - only did about 6 miles for the whole week. My policy of eating as much as I cook, undercooking and resting in full Jabba the Hut Sloth mode back fired royally...

• Options
    Intervals for me today too - 4 x 0.98 miles (why can't they just start and finish just a tiny bit further along the road???) in 6.21 (OK), 6.14 (oops - the fast boys lapped us and I think we inadvertently sped up), 6.24 (a bit slow but deliberately slowed to ensure I didn't die on the last one), 6.18 (OK). Boy was it hot out there tonight. I was as sweaty as a sweaty thing in a sauna.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes pretty hot in the North-East speedy goth, almost had to take my flatandy  cap off. Club session tonight, nearly killed me. Funny how going down stairs is worse than going up Andy      image
  • Options

Tempo run for me today. My shindy new recon Garmin arrived back, so I decided to see how hoped for 10k pace (12 days and counting) felt for 6 k.

I covered the first in 3:48 (too quick, but I expected that), then 3:58, a lumpy 3:59 to reach the turn. The return lumpy 4th was 4:11 (not good), but still sub 16 for 4 km, unfortunately my mind wasn't in it. The next was 4:32. Giving me 20:28 for 5km, I jogged the last km back to my start point. 25:30 for 6km. 2 years ago (hoping for but not getting sub 45) I would have been exstatic to run 25:30.

Whilst not happy, I am not surprised, no speed work for months. The mind is a terrible thing when it is not on your side.

I am still relatively positive, I have so much more endurance than previously, I just need to start some tempo work. I know I will get quicker, I just need to put the tempo/interval runs in. If it wasn't for this 10k I would not even be thinking about speed work.

• Options

Nice nearly miles Speedy.

You've been through the ringer this last week or two ain't ya, Joolska? As long as all the annoying stuff (including strange questions from physio) is on its way out, you'll be right on track.

Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    I'll be the slightly apprehensive looking middle aged bloke in a vest and shorts. You can't miss me!

You won't miss me either. I'll be the one 'aving a fag to calm the nervesimage I'm sure you're in safe hands with Moraghan. He's very generous with his time and advice, particularly for someone so talented and busy. Look after that calf Mister and I'll PM you nearer the time to sort sommat out if that's the done thing?

BOTF - You've got a lovely set of intervals, if you don't mind my saying so. The stamina will certainly come back to you as soon as you get a clear run of a few weeks. You aiming this speed work at a park run PB attack?

AC - How very dare you? Taper my derriere! I think you have to earn a taper, don't you?

You're right about autumn; it's lovely to watch the leaves turning red, gold and yellow. A bit of that tonight round Sefton Park. I also ran past the Echo Arena, on the waterfront, where the Lib Dems are having their party. In fact it was quite an interesting run as I scooted through a film set on the dock road too. From the vehicles on show, it looked like something set in the sixties.

Last big effort tonight to get me round LN in 12 days time. 16.32 miles. 3 @ 8:16 ave, 10 @ 7:17 ave, then 3.32 @ 7:56 ave. Earned myself a nice big toe blister, which filled with blood (sorry, forgot to say look away if you're squeamish). My new scooby-doos are coming this week, as I think my current ones are knackered.

Edit: x-post. Bad luck Scoobs - can't be easy after running on the spot for weeks on end. Race day will give you some ooompf.

• Options
    OlneyOne wrote (see)
    Funny how going down stairs is worse than going up Andy     

• Options
    Off to Newcastle with pretty much recovered legs today, so will probably try some interals on the quayside. Interesting tip from our local sports doc to a mate who's coming back from injury. Screamingly obvious really, but he was saying that once you're running again it's ok to do intervals etc but do less of them and at an easier pace - so don't do as I did and go straight into 6x800 at sub 6 pace - he suggested doing 3 at (say) 6:30 and leaving it there.

My approach this time was to think "no speedwork for x weeks" but I'm quite looking forward to an "easy" speed session!!
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

AC - And I'd forgotten all about that - something to look forward to on 18th October

B&B - Good last long run there.  A nice turn of speed in the middle - was that intended MP?  I share your feelings about not deserving a taper.  I was desperate for the taper to start back in March but feel I'm only just starting to get going for this campaignimage

Scooby - The speed will come as you say.

Fraser - Go easy on that calf.

Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
    Seen Better Days wrote (see)
      Being beaten by fat blokes wearing skins and go faster running shoes doesn't help either

Hey, I wasn't even running this week - I was overseeing the results! image

And a very good job you did tooimage

Good intervals there from Speedy and BOTF.  Intervals for me last night as well - 5 sets of 1200m with sensible recovery inbetween.  Splits of (m/km pace) 3:48, 3:48, 3:52, 3:49, 3:58.  Legs beginning to feel it on the last split so I think I got the pacing just about right. Another 6 weeks training and I could be in reasonable shape - shame there's only 3 weeks left to Abingdonimage

• Options

Ha, took a while to get that one AC! So rude.

Yeah, SBD, 10 at MP but hopefully next marathon MP as there's no chance of holding that on this one.Quick intervals from you. Btw, turn those smileys upside down...a PMA will help you no end in 3 weeks time. What is, is and you don't know what will be on the day.

AfE - Wish I lived where you do...sounds lovely. That is, until it came to running up and down hills.

• Options
    Blisters and beer wrote (see)

BOTF - You've got a lovely set of intervals, if you don't mind my saying so. The stamina will certainly come back to you as soon as you get a clear run of a few weeks. You aiming this speed work at a park run PB attack?

Not specifically, we do speedwork most Tuesdays, so it's just part of the standard schedule. I probably ought to run a parkrun sometime soon, as I've only actually run it 4 times against about 50 times volunteering - feels wierd to turn up and actually run! The only races I have lined up at the moment are my clubs' 8-and-a-bit mile season ender in 3 weeks, then the Brighton 10k in November - there's a bunch of us going down in a minibus. I was toying with doing the Cabbage Patch 10, but after Sunday I think that may be just too depressing, and I'm probably too late to enter now anyway!

• Options

SBD Nice consistant session. It all seems to be coming together nicely.

B&B Nicely paced 10 miler. That is a couple now in two weeks, you may surprise yourself on the day.

Blisters and beer wrote (see)

AfE - Wish I lived where you do...sounds lovely. That is, until it came to running up and down hills.

Wanting to live in Yorkshire??? It makes a Lancastrian lad sad indeed.

• Options

You will all be happy to know that I did beat our portly frtiend (Nº 191), and also that I came from behind and took the young lady, too.

Hadn't realised those shorts look so tight. They were, well, not baggy, but "roomy" when I bought them before VLM 2010.

I am going to England tomorrow. Or not, as the case may be, as Easyjet have just informed me that Industrial Action by French Air Traffic Controllers may cause the flight to be delayed or cancelled. After all the problemns I had getting to VLM this year, I call this really, REALLY bad luck.

Sorry this is all about ME but I'm still having to use an internet caff, so this is an in-and-out job.

• Options
    andy from embsay wrote (see)
    My approach this time was to think "no speedwork for x weeks" but I'm quite looking forward to an "easy" speed session!!

I think doing speed work and holding back would be a good thing. Trouble is with speed work is that it has that “out of the comfort zone” feeling, so you should be able to guage if you are psuhung it too much.

Good 16 miler there B&B, what rae have you got planned in a few weeks time?

Another 5 x 2000m reps session last night with a 1 mile w/up and 2 mile w/down. Felt outisde the comfort zone after Sunday nights 15 miler!

• Options
    Scooby Dudek wrote (see)
    Wanting to live in Yorkshire??? It makes a Lancastrian lad sad indeed.

Sorry Scoobs. I'm from Dorset originally so a country boy through and through. Anyway, I thought you were a Scouser? Those Merseysiders wanna make up their mind where they're from image

KR - You love that session don't you?! How did it compare to last week's, following the said 15miler? Nowt planned after Loch Ness, in 11 days. Tempted to find a HM in late Oct, early Nov though as I know I could take a sledgehammer to my PB. You still doing Leicester HM?

Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

and also that I came from behind and took the young lady, too.

so this is an in-and-out job.

Nice!

Terrrrrrible luck with your travel arrangements Ant. Remind me never to catch the same flight as you! Where are you visiting? Business, pleasure or neither?

• Options

KR - What pace do you do those 2000m reps at? Just to scare me, you see.

B&B - I'm going to Bromley, Epsom and Brighton to visit my twin brother (and his new baby), my Mum and my older brother, respectively. Looking at the EasyJet page it looks as if I may just be lucky...if  the worst comes to the worst I'll probably be put on Friday's flight, but this would still be a nuisance as I'm only over for 6 days as it is...hang on, is there a flight on Friday?

Even better news is that when I come back, on the 29th, there's a General Strike in Spain...

• Options

Incidentally, my brother (Ant Major) has entered me for a race this coming Sunday, the St. Peter and St James Hospice Fun Run (hmmm....) in North Challey, Sussex. It's a 5.5m run over fields, I'm told, although in the pic they are most definitely running on tarmac.

Does anybody know anything about this? What shoes to wear? Is it going to be so low-key that I might have a chance of winningimageimage?  

• Options
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)
    Even better news is that when I come back, on the 29th, there's a General Strike in Spain...

Don't, you'll have me in tears soon!

Having Googled the event there doesn't appear to be any results from previous years so maybe they're not worth putting into print. If I were you, I'd get my skimpiest Spain pants, fastest trainers and hope for the best (or worst) image