Options

Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Comments

• Options
    There is definitely a path by the River Kelvin. I have run along it. I think the West End is pretty nice and you're unlikely to have any problems there; my sister lives in the East End of Glasgow and I go running there, toute seule. Never had any problems, but I guess that's because my tough appearance disuades people from trying to cause me any bovver image
  • Options

Glasgow  is OK for a run in my experience too, esp along the rivers, what could be nicer than running by water?

AFE - if you go west up the Tyne from the main bridges you can certainly get as far as the Vickers(?) factory by the bridge past Scottswood - it's about 4m so that makes a reasonable if not entirely scenic 8m return journey. 

All this talk of lovely countryside and leafy trails - where shall I run tonight?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/76130/Gallery/joburg.jpg

Oh - nowhere. Wonder what's on TV.

Raising a metaphorical glass to Ant, have a good bash, but dont try to smuggle any budgies through customs in those shorts.

• Options
    Poacher wrote (see)

dont try to smuggle any budgies through customs in those shorts.

Not with the albatross I've got up there already.
  • Options
    Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)
    Poacher wrote (see)

dont try to smuggle any budgies through customs in those shorts.

Not with the albatross I've got up there already.
    Albatross, takes a while to get airborne, soars easily when up, and has the penchant for lowering it's salt content from a gland at the base of it's bill........image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I can offer views of Cullercoats Bay where I'll be running tonight (in the dark no doubt), or Skiddaw in the Lakes, which I last ran up on New Years Day- well nearly got to the top.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/297347/Gallery/Cullercoats-Bay.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/297347/Gallery/SkiddawAboveKeswick_0.jpg

• Options
    Cheers Coach Poach - I talked to a bloke at work and he said if you pop up onto Scottswood Rd where the path stopped it starts again soon and you can indeed get further along. Next time (which is next Thursday, I think).

I'm most definitely not a Yorkshire boy, but I must say Embsay has a lot going for it, particularly now I've got a family - much easier to get out for a quick blast on the bike or fells for a couple of hours. However I'm too cheerful to be a Yorkshireman - as the story goes of two old lads in t'club one Sunday lunch one says:

"what's tha think t'comedian?"

"s'pose 'e's alreet if tha likes f*#kin' laughin'."
  • Options

Lots of bigetted, close minded people on here. Not like us opened minded, easy going, naturally funny, greatest people in the world Liverpudlians. Plus exCAPITAL OF CULTURE. I feel like growing my hair and getting it permed.

B&B I won't even mention coming here and stealing our women (I understand the lady may not be from Liverpool, plus stealing is too obvious a jokeimage)

9.13 miles today in 65mins. 7:07mm pace. The plan was 7:15 pace(PMP), but I started too quickly and struggled to control my pace down. I covered the first 4 miles in just over 28minutes. The last few miles were a slight struggle, but I could have run for longer. All in all a run I am happy with. However, I am feeling it a bit now.

Enjoy your celebrations Ant

I have a work mate flying from poor Barcelona to wonderful Liverpool on Sat, I will raise a glass to AC and Ant

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Hello. I've been off the thread for a week and not read back image

Not sure if anyone can help. I've lost my motivation and can't find it anywhere. Not sure what's happened really. I knew sept would be really full on at work, lots of late evenings and also late nights planning lessons, so training was always going to be compromised. Last weeks sniffles didn't help and I just managed a couple of easy mid week 5 milers. And yesterday we heard that Ofstead are in early October! image

At the wkend I was planning to slog out a 20 miler, but running along the sea front with my mate, one dare led to another and before I knew it I was fully submerged in full running kit. Surprisingly the sea wasn't too cold, but I did have a 6 mile run back to the car to only make 14 for the day.

I have managed to get out a couple of times this week, and have a fast half entered for Folkestone, but thoughts (and almost care) of running sub 1.30 have disappeared.

At least I am not in danger of over training in the final few weeks, but I just want this marathon to be over now. Is this normal at this point? I am not sure what is up with me.

• Options
    Ant - you're cursed when it comes to travel. You need an A plan and a B plan for every journey!

Keir - maybe you should take up aquathlon(sp?) instead? Sorry I can't offer a more helpful suggestion.

Went out in light drizzle tonight, got to the bottom of my hill and there was a clap of thunder, followed by a cloud burst of fairly epic proportions. I was literally soaked to the skin in seconds. Suddenly there were small rivers running down the roads and not surprisingly, on a narrow path next to the road, I got drowned in a tidal wave of puddle thanks to a passing car. There was nothing else for it, I burst out laughing and spend the rest of the run sploshing through the middle of every puddle I could find. I'm sure I looked like I'd lost the plot. Maybe I had.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Keir - This is no time to be loosing the Mojo.  Get out there and do the trainingimage  There'll be plenty of time for relaxing after Abingdon.  And as for all that messing about in the Sea - get a grip on yourselfimage
  • Options
    5 relaxed miles through Eton tonight, avoiding boys in penguin suits. The buggers don't get out of the way! Same thing as Speedy though - we got absolutely soaked.
  • Options

Keir - Hope you enjoyed your Brokeback moment !I think you can give yourself some down time but like SBD says there can be peanty of that after Abingdon. I firmly think you should just run the HM to feel maybe even without Garmin or watch. Then only a few weeks to get a decent performance at Abo. Don't throw all the hard work of last few months away.

That said I think we all get periods of demotivation. On one level who gives a fig about what sort of times some gently deluded running bores can make theselves pull out the bag - but on the other what's the point of trying to achieve anything in life that you can reflect on with a degree of pride ? Now prob isn't the time to get metapyhsical and existential but IMHO you need to just knuckle down and then give yourself time to decide if running's going to be your thing long term or not afterwards You never know what completing your first mara will do for your inner self - might be case of "OK done that - time to take up synchronised swimming" or it might just really hook you and give yourself some purpose and structure for years to come

CC2 - running in the pishing rain - marvellous !!!.

• Options

Keir - stop feeling sorry for yourself, man. Put your trainers on and get running. forcrissakes. 

OK on a more sensible note, it sounds like the pressure of everything has got to you and you needed to let off a little steam. So having done that...

1) Forget sub 1.30 for the HM. Run it at MP at fastest or part of an LSR if it fits in your training. Stop putting pressure on yourself for a small picture race - you must remember LY saying that to MM earlier this year?!

2) Don't get daunted by the training left, focus on the training you have done - you are in good shape

3) Just promise yourself to run every other day and just focus on a few mellow bimbling miles - try to do a bit of distance but forget a) pace b) time on feet c) HR d) ofsted - enjoy running for running and use it to chill and not create stress.

4) Get to taper time with one more long run.

There you go, easy times. Don't let the pressure get to you.

• Options
    Evening/morning all
    V quiet here as doing bugger all. Have a stomach strain ffs. Can only put it down to sitting up in bed too quick, once.

Anyway, keep on keeping on all, and happy birthday Ginger/Old Spice.

G/O S - the park run in Bromley is quite nice. In week's where RJ is absnent I've done ok - last week I'd have won IF I'd been there (and no-one quicker was)
  • Options

Kier - there is relatively little you can do at this stage to make any material fitness gains before 17 Oct.  Nevertheless you need to get a couple more solid weeks of training before tapering.  More importantly you need to get your head into the right place.  The last 6-8 miles of any marathon are very tough.  On your first marathon off relatively modest mileage they are hideous.  Anything you can do in terms of training or mental preparation to reduce the pain on the day is worth doing.  Hopefully the lack of mojo will quickly pass.

Happy birthday Ant.

I grew up in Hartlepool in the non-county of Cleveland (would have been county durham before the boundary changes).  Some pics (Asturias it is not):

On the way to work:

http://artblart.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/early-morning-west-hartlepool-county-durham-u-k-1963.jpg?w=500&h=337

Then hit the beach:

http://www.freefoto.com/images/13/09/13_09_13---British-Energy-Hartlepool-Nuclear-Power-Station_web.jpg?&k=British+Energy+Hartlepool+Nuclear+Power+Station

Then hit the town :

http://www.wickednightout.com/images/big_drunk_nightout.jpg

I still miss the place, though.

Having said that my parents now live in North Yorkshire near this place (one of my favourite places):

http://www.makingmusic-northeast.co.uk/region/tees.png

• Options
    x-post:  Hi Jezza.  That's a bizarre injury.  Hope it clears up soon. I'm taking the little 'un to Fulham v Everton on Saturday.  Hopefully he'll see a few goals this time.  Everton not started well.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great pics GE- I'm living that North-East dream...
  • Options

GE - love the pics. So now the key question is whether to bring the family up to Hartlepool for a week's holiday, or whether I should just treat Mrs L to a romantic weekend there. On second thoughts...

Just under 9 miles for me this morning after a rest day yesterday. Planning to get out for a long run early doors tomorrow but it might depend on what time Mrs L gets back from her Book Club tonight.

• Options

Couldn't work out why my calves were aching all through an easy 6mile bimble this morning and then remembered the game of tennis I had on Weds (first in 9 months) which has left me as tweaked as a banjo...running may get you fit but it doesn't mean you are lithe!

OO - loving that pic of Skiddaw - is it taken from Cat Bells? I would love to go on a running holiday up in the lakes...

Speedy - good spriit there - I have done the same myself when wet. Good fun innit?

Have to say, I planned a run last night, took one look at the rain and then sat down to enjoy a beer (or two) and some pringles (my wife wrestled the final few from me having demolished the rest).

LOL AfE

• Options

AC - I know what you mean. I ached more and for longer a few months ago after a game of squash than I have done after any marathon / Ultra / duathlon!

Is it something to do with slow twitch vs fast twitch muscles? (Guess who knows very little about physiology!)

Good to see Jezza back here - hope the tum sorts itself out.

Joolska wrote (see)
    I guess that's because my tough appearance disuades people from trying to cause me any bovver image

We've seen the piccies with that look of determination as you cross the finishing line - would scare me off! Fab stuff - love it!! image

• Options

Great pics GE - my grandad was from Hartlepool. He left as soon as possible, must have been desperate to go as he went to the trenches in 1914 to dodge bullets rather than stay at home.  He never went back to Hartlepool and reinvented himself as a southern softy. Nuff said. 

As for scousers - I once had to go and interview teenage girls in Liverpool on the subject of a certain footballer reported to have used aging prostitutes, slapped his girlfriend about, wasted millions at the bookies etc etc. The conversations went something like:
    ME "do you think XXX is treating his girlfriend fairly?"
    THEM "yes, he gives her lots of money and that..."
    ME "so aren't you concerned about reports that he hits her, and sleeps with prostitutes?"
    THEM "no, he gives her lots of money and that...."

etc etc. How depressing.

Keir - keep the faith!  loss of mojo happens to almost everyone. It will return

Bank Holiday here - have a nice day at work everyone....   

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thanks for the support / stop ponsing around and for F's sake get on with it comments. The advice from AC and GE (I've done the work, I'm fit, just need a couple more sessions before taper) is good. I'll try to avoid anymore Brockback moments though Fraser!

I'm from Gloucester, but now live in Kent, about 2 miles from the Channel Tunnel. I suppose 'soft southerner' might be an appropriate comment at the moment.

• Options

Tee hee! That was funny Windy.

Keir - I don't see the problem. Running's horrible and you can't beat a bit of hijinks! After dancing all night at the Primavera music festival in Barca this year, my girlfriend and I decided to go skinny-dipping at 9am on the city beach. Great fun until a diver came along, looking to score himself an octopus with a harpoon... Actually I had a chat with him; a situation I was slightly uncomfortable with!

Do you think you're a bit tired of the training? After all you've had quite alot of running problems to overcome, which have really hampered your campaign. If you'd had a straight run and felt your time was going to represent the effort you've had to put in, it would be a different matter IMO. That being said, I think it is worth your trying to force the last bit of training out over the next couple of weeks because it'll make the mara less hideous. Who gives a toss about the HM? Run it how you please.

Scooby -  Not only is my GF not a scouser but she's from Manc! Well, Stockport actually but I tend not to shout about that. Indeed, she calls it the armpit of England. Anyway, don't get me started on the "Capital of Clutter". There's one aspect that hasn't changed since Bryson visited and that really annoys me. Been here 16 years now. Nice run btw.

GE - That top pic is a top pic. Love it and not in an ironic way either.

While we're posting photos, here are a couple from my trip back to Dorset this summer:

Lyme Regis, early evening.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/536647/Gallery/Lyme_Regis_0.jpg

Seatown beach in rough weather.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/536647/Gallery/Seatown_0.jpg

Got my new Lunarglide 2's last night and did a little 4 miler in them. Certainly look better than my old Sauconys but felt very clumpy. Maybe they need wearing in?

• Options
    I think you need to add a "shandy drinking" in there somewhere, Keir.
  • Options
    Keir wrote (see)

I'm from Gloucester, but now live in Kent, about 2 miles from the Channel Tunnel.

That explains it...you're practically French. With your current attitude perhaps you should apply to play for their national footy teamimage
  • Options
    Blisters and beer wrote (see)

After dancing all night at the Primavera music festival in Barca this year, my girlfriend and I decided to go skinny-dipping at 9am on the city beach. Great fun until a diver came along, looking to score himself an octopus with a harpoon... Actually I had a chat with him; a situation I was slightly uncomfortable with!

Crikey - having a conversation while stark bol*ock naked with a guy with a harpoon in his hand. Rather you than me!!

Keir - do they do decent scrumpy down your neck of the woods just for old times' sake?

• Options

Kier - Its ok to feel sorry for yourself once in a while but not too often. Like most sports running is all about highs and lows, if you get get through the lows the highs, ie crossing the line at abingdon, are well worth it, chin up fella and get out there.

Speaking of feeling sorry for yourself, I had the worse run ever this morning, went out early and first 4 miles OK, planning to do 20 but all went wrong.  Next  7 were a mixture of running/jogging and walking!  Got soaking wet and headed very slowly home.  Problems with achilles has come back and it now feels like its creaking when I move it. Three weeks to abo, me thinks not a lot of running, plenty of xtraining and see what happens on the day.

• Options

Wow, a load of catching up to do here!

Barry - really sorry to hear about your achilles injury. Hope some highs are coming your way soon.

Hope you have a great birthday Ant, despite all the travel problems.

I'm really jealous looking at all of your lovely pics, well most of them anyway.  My father and wife are both from Yorkshire - Bradford and Mexborough, so the less said about that the better - but I'm a Norfolk dumpling. I'm not too far from the countryside, but there's nothing round here in King's Lynn that could be regarded as a hill even by the wildest stretch of the imagination. May be I'll have to move to the North Norfolk coast which is rather nice.

I'm now up to 3 x 5mins and pleased to report that there is nothing to report.

• Options

Good news Gul. You're almost running as far as a beginner. Your recovery has got to be exponential in the end. Once you can run for, say 30 mins without pain it will only be a fitness issue from then on, won't it?

Talking of North Norfolk, isn't Cromer supposed to be good for your health? 'Taking the sea air' and all that. Or was that just in the Victorian era?

Bad luck Barry. Frustrating, I'm sure, when you're reaching peak fitness and just want to get out there to do it. Best of luck to you.

• Options

...a harpoon in his hand and you weren't just pleased to see him B & B !! Mind you, I imagine the water was quite coldimage

Barry - sounds like it might not be your day for Abo this year. Don't start it unless your achilles improves alot in next 3 weeks. Still got a fair bit of time to mend though if you're careful.Good luck !

Planning a gentle 4 later. Calf feels stacks better. The ouchy woman's thumbs of steel have worked their magic hopefully