Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    PP - I think even the quietest would be bad in a flat, rollers might work

MtR - cycleops or Tacx are pretty good value

Padams - I have ridden the course and it is a challenge, only entering as I'd like to race the bike course :¬)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - sounds good. What distances are H'uez ?

Padams - I should come 2nd (out of the thread) at the Swash then ! Maybe a minute was too harsh then, make it 45 seconds ! If you cant make that then stick to IM - I have high hopes for you. Not sure you'd go as fast as Chrissies BF did first go though.

MTR -  I have a Taxc Sirius, it was the best reviewed one in that sort of price range, and is pretty quiet (for PP - athough I cant hear cos of the music pumping out !)  best ~£100 I've ever spent.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    fillies are tough up north, the one with the bingo top on is nearly showing her growler too, disgraceful behaviour !
  • Options

Tarkers, are you from around there then? Very nice too. I ran it last year and yes it's a great race for a fast time (although I didn't get one...). I was really impressed with Bilbao and especially San Sebastian. Got an email last week telling me that the goody bag would include wine and cheese. I should have gone ... a day stuck in a Holiday Inn outside Coventry wasn't quite the same.

22 miles around the (frozen in places) canals of East London today. Grrrrrr. Unlike some of you masochists I haven't learnt to love winter running yet.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I'll second TR's recommendation on turbos. The resistance on this (and the similar one I have) is caused by a fan within a sealed unit of oil or gel. Definately avoid the noisey open fan and magnetic resistance types. I reckon you would get away with this in a flat PP, although would be a bit quieter if the bike was on an old rug rather than floor boards. Also, don't pay £20 for a riser block. Use last years yellow pages instead image

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Gobi wrote (see)
    TR - going longer on the bike next year so Alpe d'Huez for me. I may also do Cowman as I like the routes round Olney last year I did the Duathlon, the sprint and the Oly up there.

I ran the Alpe d'Huez climb about 4 Christmases ago.  With a raging hangover too - I bet my brother-in-law I could do it the next morning when we were drinking Chartreuse & Tonics.

It was about 75 mins down and about 90 mins back up.  The cold was tough on the way down; the run back up was OK although the last 3 or 4 bends were tough.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TMap - have run it a few times :¬) but ridden it more times

TR - 2.2kms 115kms 22kms

Did intervals this evening in shorts and a tshirt. Run fast and stay warm
  • Options

We have about a foot of snow here, so doubt I could run fast enough to stay warm in shorts ;¬)

Did 14.5m y'day and took over 2hrs, although it was rounds woods and hilly but still. 6m tonight at 9mm

TR - divent yee gan dissen wor lass :¬)

• Options
    No snow in the smoke - kids are fed up! Bloody cold though.
  • Options

Just a quickie to stay I'm still around(ish!) - I'm still in shock at just how troublesome an achilles injury that has never been THAT serious has lurked around for so long and stopped me making any serious progress - today was first day I think it seemed 99% gone but sure it'll get worse again before it hits 100%!

Not in great shape but finally starting to make a little progress. Hopefully after Christmas might be able to run a few average races and then try and move on. Aim is just to do base work till late Jan I think and then try and do some HM specific stuff.

Zatu - going on your stuff from earlier and my vague recollections- I must admit I was quite surprised when at Reading Half last year you were clearly in very good shape but hit a massive week beforehand if I remember right, ran hard for the first few miles then eased off? I thought that was a perfect chance to run a strong HM PB. Definitely think the idea of going for some shorter distances and then taking a shot at a marathon, even if you're not totally 100% - is a good idea.

That said I have a moderately horrendous conversion (based on something being wrong at London I think that I'm still not sure of - which isn't good!) - so might be best to ignore me! 

• Options

Tarkers - Glad to have helped but really only merely posting the schedule onto you image How did you and your GF do ?

Incidently I didnt realise it was you I was talking to at the studio on Friday ! 

Toe still killin me image more rest needed.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi – sounds good. It’s a big race though so you need to crack the swimming a bit or you face being one of the last bikes in T1 which I find demoralising myself. I still dream of being a mid pack swimmer.

MTR/PP – I was listening to my turbo today, I reckon its quieter than a TV would be, so should be ok for use in a flat (for PP). It only whirrrrs a bit if I do a real short sharp pace and I do that less often than I run fast.

I’m fed up with the cold already, given that its just as cold inside in the garage as it is outside,  the morning aerobics are freezing regardless of the weapon of choice. It’ll be a long winter if there’s another 4 months of this to look forward to every morning. CRAB do you still have that bullet handy ?

• Options
    CL wrote (see)
    No snow in the smoke - kids are fed up! Bloody cold though.

You spoke to soon! London suburbs are now in chaos.....again!... however Dulwich is looking very pretty!

The safest way to work this morning was in my Walshes... what a shoe!

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Like the look of that turbo. Early Christmas present I think. I'm not 100% sure about the turbo dungeon though. The ceiling height might be a little low (it's only about 6'6" high) and  I'm a bit worried about it being too warm rather than too cold. We have a gas boiler down there. Luckily it's in its own room, but it's still going to be warming up the space.

The alternative is outside on the patio, or in the kitchen/family room - that gives me the telly, but it's only possible when the family aren't using it. I can open the french doors to the patio for a cooling breeze - or look in through them to the telly.

Slushy sleet in central London this morning. Worried about more snow and it freezing into ice later so I ran into work instead of riding the bike. Slow, but quite enjoyable. Inov-8 Roclites very good in these conditions - slightly heavier than the x-Talons, but still with sticky rubber - I've not slipped in snow and ice wearing these in 2 years.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

GN, safest way to work this morning was to work from home image

Consequently, just off for a trot along the canal in heavy snow by the looks of things. Should be fun!

• Options

Cheers guys, I think I might be treating myself to an early Crimbo present as well.  My spare room is carpeted, also I've never had any complaints about the washing machine on spin cycle (which isn't even German), so given that I'm unlikely to be operating at 1300 rpm, shouldn't be a problem!  image

I made it into work today but only after spending 58 minutes freezing me nuts off on a train platform.

• Options

Morning folks.

FR - very kind. Glad somebody other than me gets something out of my occasional waffling image

Hope you're feeling better today Jools?

PP - bad luck on the mri. Gym a possibility to keep you focused? I've got a CycleOps Magneto turbo which is very quiet (and not just because I haven't used it much).

Good to hear that you're almost there HH. Reading was only a slightly hard(er) first mile-ish to just not get caught up in the crowds, etc. I needed to use it as a long MP run because I hadn't been back in proper training for long at that stage (4 weeks?), which also explains the big week. I was tempted to go with you and coro when you went past though. Given the 8 months since I wish I had tbh.

Rest day here. After 5 days of 30mins, and a few more mins yesterday, it seemed prudent. Especially as there was a slight bit of puffiness on the knee yesterday - combination of being on my feet for 5-6hrs both Saturday and Sunday (with the kiddies to give Mrs Zatu more study time for her upcoming exams) and the introduction of a new exercise on Friday (normally causes a reaction for the first 48 hrs or so). It took a bit of focused effort to reduce the puffiness, which, needless to say, after the last ~8 months caused some trepidation, but only natural I guess.

• Options
    Meant to say cheers for the email HH, not had a chance to digest it all, but will let you know if I have questions....take care of that achilles.
  • Options

TT - In a fit of optimism (i.e. hoping I might avoid injury for a while) I cancelled my gym subscription (again) a couple of months ago, but I've just gone and ordered the turbo, so between that, intermittent running and core stuff I can be doing at home I should be able to keep ticking over I reckon.  Best of luck with the continued rehab.

TR - Forgot to mention, I spent the weekend in admiration/wonder at all the Geordie lasses pigeon-stepping through the slushy snow in their stilettos, hot pants and boob tubes.  Quite a sight!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PP - for sore eyes ! 

MTR/PP – if you buy one of those turbo’s you don’t need the gear/resistance changer cable that goes with it. My changer just sits on the garage floor. Just use the bike gears to vary the resistance. Also good point PP, defo much quieter than a washing machine.

MTR – you might be ok in with the boiler, it gets pretty stifling in the garage on a hot day, and I havnt croaked it through heat stroke yet. I much prefer it when its so hot I cant breath well, to sucking in frosty air !

• Options

Thanks for asking, TippTop, my kill-or-cure 5M didn't kill me and I don't feel any worse.  I'm a bit apprehensive because a few days after last week's kill-or-cure run I was worse, but I'm prepared to try another run today.  I've had enough of fitness dripping away!

On the scantily dressed lasses front, I feel wistfully middle-aged.  It seems only yesterday my father was castigating me for going out in what he described as a pelmet on a cold December day, and now I shake my head at the yoof of today wearing next to nothing.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

PP/TR: I've ordered the turbo as well. Do you use a turbo tyre or not bother and just use normal road tyres?

FR: You're more likely to bump into Tarkers on the canal towpaths of East London than in Spain. They're also my usual haunts for long runs at the weekend.

As for under-dressed young ladies - I had a tough time trying to persuade my daughters to wear coats, boots, hats, gloves, scarfs this morning. Eldest wore none of them, youngest agreed to the coat and scarf and carried her boots in her bag. My son on the other hand, had half-inched my fleece hat, my warmest mittens and my North Face jacket.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    MTR - I use the same tyre as I ride on outside. A Vittoria Rubinho, cos it survives the turbo and the local (and New Forest) roads. They cost about £12 from wiggle. I guess I should get something a bit more slick for race day though !
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - it is all about the bike at Alpe d'Huez so not bothered about the swim really. Had a video of my swimming done last night and it is even worse than I thought.

MtR - I have used some of the tyres TR uses and they are quite durable, recently got a turbo tyre so will be interested to see if there is much difference. I shall report back.
  • Options
    Haha, MTR, having been to Barcelona, Ibiza and, now, San Sebastian this year, I feel like I spend more time in Spain!

But FR. MTR is right...I stalk the streets of East London - though my running along the canals days are a distant memory.

Haha, JI, I had not realised either. I should have introduced myself as my thread name. She did very well: 3:15:52. Was near on 12 minutes quicker than Brussels. She is very pleased. My support was pretty good too ;o)
  • Options
    10 chilly miles, making the most of the daylight.  I know TR loves stats, so just for him, the 2.5M splits were: 19.59; 19.29; 18.34, 19.06.  Nice veg curry afterwards - I find the 'Innocent' marketing and spiel on packaging a little too cute, but their curries in a pot are great for the lazy amongst us who want a hot lunch at work...
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Good running there Joolska.

Tmap - running "up" Alpe D'uez, bloody hell.

RununMan - my Dad had trouble getting out to his cottage in County Durham, says the most snow he can remember in a long time.

MtR - I saw your plan for VLM, long runs look pretty similar to mine.

I did a good run on friday with 5 miles at HMP and just under 2hrs on sat (approx 16 miles) but been pretty bloody tired yesterday and today. I've been a bit wimpish today with the weather but I couldn't be arsed with dealing with snow and slush on the roads/pavements around here today. Probably something light in the gym this evening if I can be arsed. Hoping the snow clears tomorrow enough for a decent run. My back is giving me a bit of grief, I defo need to get back on track with the core work.

One thing I found on my run on saturday, I need some warmer underwear!!!image Those lycra things I wear under running tights don't offer enough insulation on a long run!

That photo of the girls in Newcastle made me laugh, "professional Geordie" syndrome, lol

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Jools.. got any pictures of the pelmet attire? image  Good to see you running and presumably feeling better.  BTW food talk.. Mrs Wardi spent the weekend at Mr Blanc's 'Le Manoir' with a few girlie friends, she won't tell me how much it was!

Lots of cold & crusty surfaces up here so making use of indoor machinery here too.  4.2m on the treadie before work, will make a decision on tonight's run indoors or out when I get home.  Our cat is currently reluctant to go out because the snow is too deep.  

I was dreading the 12m drive in to work this morning but the roads were very quiet.  I reckon it is partly down to the fact that most of the local schools are shut so the school run mums are off the road.

• Options

I'm afraid the pelmet is no more, Wardi.  Went to a charity shop when I decided to become a little more sophisticated.  It was a crushed red velvet wrap around skirt which only just covered my posterior, IIRC.  The wrap-around element added an extra bit of excitement as there wasn't a great deal of overlap.  Ah, happy days...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - great stuff, a video of me in teh endless pool is my next port of call (when I hit the next plateau)

Jools - 2.5M splits - do me a favour. I'm only interested in 5M blocks within a 20M, when it gets to smacktalk time.....but I'm happy to listen to descriptions of your mini skirts ! ding dong ! Do you have a french maids outfit or St Trinians outfit you can describe ?........or any thigh length boots ?

RS - all winter training comes with a free sex change, havnt see my pecker for over a week....although if Jools can provide a bit more clothing detail...........