Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TR - excellent run on the back of some big miles. Double it + 6-9 minutes.  
    Good grinding out of a very decent looking LSR SJ. Glorious morning here for my 15 miler, sunshine and blue skies.
    LMH - with a good last month and taper, I think you will run well at York. 
    Have a date for my consultation 8th Oct  which of course coincides with my poss hernia pain receding so either the cut back in mileage is not aggravating it so much or its something else.
  • Options
    Exciting times StevieWH. 
    Work done now SJ 

Tr- great effort - Your time today on its own is worth 2.55 so I would think given your analysis you are looking closer to 2.50 than 2.55. 

I tend to convert as 2x +6 ish but then I dont do competitive half races close enough to a mara for it to mean that much
  • Options
    That's a great result, TR: on a selfish note, encouraging to those of us also on the comeback trail!
  • Options
    Good running TR.

You sound good to go Stevie.

Glad you have your appointment through OuchOuch. Wish I felt similarly - and knew what a 'good month' might look like.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Nice going TR, it wouldn't have been easy out there this morning - a few friends were out at the Winchester HM and it was a bit damp!

Just a shorter LR for me this week (well, not really a LR at all, just the 14.5).  I've been keeping a lid on things this week - I had a sore throat for a few days and a knee that isn't yet a niggle but doing enough to tell me not to do too much on it.  I've had a good few weeks so an easier one isn't going to do any harm.  Get the matches in the box and keep them there.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hope you go well next week Stevie - should be another pb, a big one too.

OO - maybe you wont need an op, although it might get you back to higher mileage quicker if you do.

LMH - you have plenty of miles in the bank, bide your time re York, and take no notice of training pace for another week or 2.

Jools - its taken a while, but lots of miles and some patience should do it. Ive started to get competitive with folks i used to be competitive with which has been a boost. I came 3rd M50 today, would have won it if i was 20sec up the road, but 1st and 2nd were duking it out and my legs were having none of it. I was several minutes behind those folks in recent times, although id be more competitive without the marathon training.

Menn - i dont usually try to make the conversion, but wondered. Last yr i did 1.25.1X at solent and a cramped up 3.01.1x at Abo. But i wasnt well prepared and ran too fast early on.

CD - you are good at getting the best out of yourself at the end of a campaign, so well done on being wise.

Not really sure on what today predicts, should be ok to aim sub 255 though and see what happens on the day. Will probably set "no faster than 6:XX" safety net though. Not sure what that will be yet though.

I had best have a couple of beers to replace essential nuts and bolts.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravo TR, so pleased you have a decent reward off the back of recent training.  Enjoy the refreshing beers and congrats on the V50 podium.   :)
    CD.. hope all your ailments get well soon.
    SJ.. kudos for getting that long run done in mostly wet weather, bodes well for York.
    OO.. good news on the consultation date, best of luck.
    My handicap race was merely average on jelly-like legs, rounded it up to 10.3m to give me 69m for the week so in line with the bigger picture.  Occasional showers but no downpour like wot SJ got.  :/
  • Options
    Menn - not quite. One more big week then taper time.

OO - good news on the pain rescinding, typical timing as you say. 

TR - brilliant reward for the consistent training. I would say sub 2:55 is a decent target. Lovely stuff. I bet th hose beers taste good tonight. 

CD - hope the knee and illness clears up.

Wardi - nice weekly miles and indeed looking at the bigger picture very well. 
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Jools - that's a very solid run at the relays, not a million miles from your best and you're still on the comeback trail.

selbs - impressive long run, you bagged a few good ones now.

TR - sounds very promising given the miles you've been doing and how your legs were feeling at the start. You should be towards the lower end of the "double + 5-10 mins" conversion, so you might be threatening 2:50...

Due to my dodgy knee I didn't do much over the weekend - knee felt fine but no point in pushing things with nothing major coming up. The Mrs was out Saturday morning so I did the local parkrun pushing mini-P - 19:48 undulating off-road, which was the fastest I've done on that course with him (although only have one other datapoint!). Spent the rest of the morning at a cafe near the parkrun sitting in the sunshine with some friends, very pleasant.

Then went for a family bike ride yesterday morning - only about 40 mins, but quite hard work on a heavy mountain bike + about 25kgs over the rear wheel!
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

TR - great run.  Given conditions not great, AND you turned it into 18.1 miles, AND you didn't taper, AND with the masive amount of endurance you must have built up, i don't think double + 10 mins is a good guestimate. If you get good conditions at Abo, then i would think more double plus 10 mins of what you could have done on a flat course/tapered... so you are looking more like low 2:50's. Anyway no harm setting off at at the good old 3 miles per 20 minutes, and if feeling good can pick it up.  Hope the beers were good!

CD - sounds very sensible!  Hopefully all comes right.

OO - at least less painful then and you can enjoy running still.

SJ - another decent LSR there.

LMH - good you are still able to stress relieve/enjoy getting out there, hopefully if you feel like doing York you can still have an enjoyable day then.

Good stuff Wardi!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on in Berlin now Stevie!  hope you smash it.

Big week last week for me at 88 miles. this week will be a little less.  no reps planned this week, and i will do my MLR tomorrow, then a couple of easier days pace wise (still trying to get the miles in though) before 5km blast on Friday at the Hyde Park LFOTM.  Hopefully still hit 80 miles though post LSR this saturday.  Then i'm looking forward to a gradual 3 week taper and a few more faster sessions to really hone in on what is looking realistic.

• Options

Padams - positive on the knee front.

LMH - I wondered if it could explain it myself, or if it was just coincidental, so spent a few days eating more carbs and the inflammation started to come back and I started to feel sluggish again, so yep, I reckon it's what's right for me.
    There is a background to this, but I won't bore you with the details, however Keith Livingstone - who wrote the Healthy Intelligent Training book (a modern take on Lydiard) - recently sent me this, which touches on some of that background, and then other bits I read on treating fibro indicated good results on LCHF, so there is a precedent for this (especially with my history of inflammatory issues). It's not too bad really. Lots of small substitutions, and it's fun trying new recipes.

selbs - very positive long run!

sj - tough break on the boiler. Nice one on the long run though!

Jools - continued good signs on the comeback trail!

TR - excellent half and congrats on the podium! I'm glad to see your training getting its rewards!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Coming to the boil nicely selbs.

Yes, i think you folks are right that the x2 +10min is more for what youd be able to run fresh for a 1/2. So i guess i was somewhere between mp and hmp yday. The 3m every 20mins is a sub 255 barometer, and wouldn't set the pace for Abo. Abo will be run at the right sort of effort and the time will take care of itself. I might try to fit in another 10 mp run in later this week and see what turns up, its been a few weeks since i did it a couple of times after IoW 1/2.

Looks like im going to get wet running home this evening, but i suppose i have dried out from yday.
  • Options
    Have you invested in a gadget to help with your pacing yet TR?

Sounds like a nice weekend Padams.

I very much believe that diet can affect our bodies TippTop and that once you've cut something out for a few days it's quite easy to tell when you reintroduce it whether it's having an adverse effect or not. It's good that you've found something that you can do to help manage the condition.

I don't think I should have any trouble getting round selbs it's whether I can enjoy doing so with it resulting in another sub-standard performance.

Every long run at the minute seems to be ending up slower than the one before. The miles aren't the problem - I get faster as I go - but the pace just isn't there from the off. I'm not sure I can put this all down to stress but I don't know what else it could be?
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

LMH - try (as hard as it might be) to not worr about the pace for a couple of weeks at least maybe?  Maybe leave the watch at home for a week or two?

Make sure you've let the legs recover from yesterday before you try that 10 MP run TR

• Options
    I don't worry about it whilst I'm out running selbs - it's just depressing when I record it afterwards. I've been off the pace all year.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    yeah LMH i bet - but that's why i mean leave the watch at home/don't record it to analyse afterwards, run diff routes etc. so u dont know the pace/distance and can't get depressed about it afterwards.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH - no gadget yet, thats a post Abo item. Im with selbs ignore the watch, you might simply have got into a bit of a wombley phase, i do plenty of long and medium long runs that are over 8mm. Without tracking HR vs the pace its kind of meaningless. Maybe take a few days off, or do some quicker stuff to get yr legs rotating even if its strides ? I guess that being off the pace when yoy are trying hard is the time to worry.

Selbs -  agreed, i did the 10m on the Thurs after IoW,  could even put it into my long run Saturday, although was planning on a slow 23 or 24m then. Its not a necessity just a nice to have done it.
  • Options
    TR - Will Sunday be your last big long run? I'd be tempted to put the 10m MP in there or do 3 sections of 4/4/3 with 1m recoveries (if that works with your routes) that's what I tend to be set 3 weeks out from raceday.

LMH - I think stress can affect us a lot more then we think. As others have said maybe just don't look at the times and jus try to enjoy some runs.

Selbs - That's a big week. Abo looks like it could go really well for you

5m to do tonight, just ticking boxes now.
  • Options
    I've just had two really light weeks - and failed to run fast when I was trying TR!

selbs - surely you joke? If it's not recorded it didn't happen...........LOL.

Getting excited Stevie? I do enjoy the runs once I get going, definitely feel better for being out anyway.
  • Options
    Yes really excited now, looking forward to seeing Berlin as well as the race. Also meeting a friend who I haven't seen since school who now lives in the states so that will be good. Glad you are still enjoying your running!
  • Options
    It sounds as though you have a great trip planned Stevie - I hope you have a good race too.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Stevie - thanks, ill see how the week goes. Id rather try for a long block in one go as a sign of readiness.

LMH - ah, thats where you're going wrong then, this week is supposed to have lots of short and easy. Next week we can get the icing sugar out.

6m easy, bit of a sore groin and achy legs so whilst my legs were freeing up i thought id go easy on them.
  • Options
    What do you mean TR - the two light weeks into the HM is where I went wrong? This week and next are my last two weeks of training - then taper for two weeks if I'm going to race. Hope your groin settles down, no point in pushing things after your race and doing yourself an injury.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    No, not that. I thought you were taking a couple more easy weeks after the recent stress. You can sharpen up from next week. Im doing two sessions a week even in the last week, so there is time to get the legs rotating for you yet.  No point chasing paces if its not there this week. Just do what selbs said and dont time yourself this week.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Go well Stevie - been very inspiring watching yo our training sessions on Strava. 

TR - my legs have only just returned from the half a week ago TR, a sign I ran it too hard or just needed that extra week to tick over. No effects from yesterdays run with the sore Achilles at least. 

I will add some MP to the end of next sundays last long run. Either last 10k of a 24 or 2 x 5k. Depends if I have company again. If I do I may just do time on feet and forget about the MP. In that case I will add some to the end of midweek long run. 

Are you two week taper then? I was going to do traditional 3 week ergo last long run this week, followed by 16-17 week after. 

LMH - a manual entry into your garmin connect simply recording the distance? I would also second the strides. Much under used and a great way of getting some energy into the legs. 10 x 20 seconds is my go to at the end of some runs. Good stimulus. 

5 easy peasy tonight on the treadmill. Stress at work needs some clear headspace. Considering jumping off the gravy train and going freelance again, possibly with some part time teaching. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    SJ - 3 week taper, same as yeovil. 60something next week, will still have an mlr etc. Then 20m long run 2 weeks out. Some mp or reps twice a week. That cuts down to 2m sections of mp on the last week, but it was becoming a struggle to run the mp slow enough by then.
  • Options
    The weather is foul here this morning, warm but with torrential rain. Having been soaked on my morning walk I had no inclination to go out in it to run so headed to the gym and after doing my little program I hopped on the treadie. Probably not what would usually be recommended the day after a LSR but I ended up with a mile warm up, three miles progressive (though only peaking at MP) and a mile cool down. If the weather has improved when I finish work I may go out for a few more but no pressure.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - 3m progressive ending in mp is a positive sign.

6m easy here, possibly the wettest run ive ever done. The drain covers were bursting open and it was more of a paddle than a run, wore quite a lot of water too from the traffic. Legs felt ok so hopefully back to it tomorrow with a mlr.
  • Options
    Torrential rain here too, roads flooded etc. The car park at nursery was a lake and had to sprint from the car with mini-P - he thought it was funny anyway! Fair play to those of you who have voluntarily gone outside!

6M for me yesterday lunchtime. Knee felt OK and I generally felt quite spritely - I'm still at the stage of not having lost much fitness but being very well rested!
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

bit wet central london too, but i got out when it wasn't too bad (the weather that is, my run was pants).  Tried for my normal MLR of 2 miles warm up, 10 miles hard, and 2 miles cool down, but i only lasted 5 miles hard, i was toast/legs had nothing, and i just coudln't push myself today.  Think i set off too fast, plus i guess the cumulative fatigue is getting to me.  So ended up just jogging it in getting progressively slower - what sort of run is that, regressive?  Oh well, 13.5 miles done, with 5 miles of effort will have to do for now.  I'm ready for taper, but it isn't quite taper time!

sounds promising LMH!