Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    I'm afraid sj is going to be far too fast for me at York TR. Nice to take some time off your session, you must be feeling confident as long as you can avoid turds!

I do usually find chasing down the Champs start runners quite motivating at VLM OuchOuch but at the moment I'm thinking more along the lines of it probably means I won't even get an age group placing. Mind you I don't even know if there are any prizes to race for - not my main motivating factor.

That sounds like quite a lot of weight loss to me TippTop - how do you do it?

Just to balance my usual doom and gloom posts I finally got my car back yesterday and yesterday's and today's ten milers were at  a (for this year) slightly better pace.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    TT - nice, you are progressingly quickly.

OO - good that you are still able to train at the mo. I copped the rain again today too, yday is the only dry run this week.

Lmh - SJ did 255 at manc, guess it depends how low he is aiming.......no doubt theres something or other that will hit the toaster, but hopefully not the pre Brighton blitz the toaster took with family illness, kitchen floods the night before, chasing the train for my number, howling gale at Brighton.....i defo have unfinished business there......if the toaster remains in tact, then yes i should go well. Sundays 82 is worth a decent chunk quicker on a better course with a taper, so i might yet surprise myself. I defo like the expecting to go sub3 rather than hoping to.
  • Options

Selbs - Some great running routes there. I have a horrible tempo that I force myself to do sometimes - 2 laps round the outer circle..ugh. or down the Broad walk from the Indian fountain along the small path or though the trees to the café by the road, then back up the Broad walk itself to the fountain. It's roughly 1k, so do 8 x 1k.

Both pretty taxing!

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

good stuff TT, you always seem to get back into decent shape fairly quickly, but seem to be pacing it well to build a good base.

Stevie - again best wishes for Berlin, hope you smash the 245 barrier!

TR - you definitely seem to be putting in all the runs you need to to have a great day out at Abo, hope the conditions play ball (for us all!)

CW - maybe a bit of quality and less volume is just what you ened to get bit of zip back, once you are done with your hols.  As everyone says, your endurance is definitely not a weakness.

OO - hope you can get back to Berlin next year then - might join you after this years failed attempt.  sort of wish i was running it this weekend still... not sure i can keep up the discipline for another 3 weeks, have been slipping and having a few beerios this week and the weight loss has plateaued of course.

anyway, LFOTM 5km for me today, on the 2 lap course in Hyde park, which i have no idea if its slower or faster than the 1 lap course, but there are a few pesky (and a bit slippery today) bends to negotiate. Bit breezy as well today, but not bad conditions all in all. I put my watch onto HR only (the forerunner 25 - my Fenix is being changed at the mo by garmin) and just tried to run at what i thought was proper 5km effort.  manual splits ended up 3:16, 3:17, 3:22, 3:18, 3:14 for 16:27 by my watch.  need to wait for official score, but it's going to be at least a 30 second PB anyway.

Someone should write a book about how doing lots more miles, and losing a little weight (when you have it to lose) makes you faster!

just need to get the next 3 weeks right now...  think the long run tomorrow is going to hurt though.

• Options
    Quick check in, safely arrived in Berlin and navigated the expo. Even managed to win a pair of Hokas and spend no money!

Number 71405 if anyone is tracking
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Selbs - That's a pretty swift 5K and a great time to get a PB.  Beer is carbs, sure your body needs it.  See you next year then.  Would this have been your first Berlin? 
    TR - Keeping it at 40-45 mpw, keeping mind and body together.  Think you can be bit  greedy with your sub3 aims at Abo. Wouldn't be surprised to see you run 2.51-2.53.
    TT - You do bounce back so quickly - helps being naturally soo fast I guess.
    LMH - My running mate is also running York, he should run 2.55 but is currently convincing himself it will be 3.0X something.    Where the mind goes. 
  • Options
    LMH - 12lbs isn't a lot really. From my heaviest (or at least the heaviest I measured) to race pb weight was a difference of 67lbs (197 -> 130). Plus I put it on through not training and eating crap so it needs to come off. It basically comes off through not eating crap and getting a few miles done. Nothing faddy, just nice and simple. Great news on the car and the runs.

selbs - awesome stuff!! Well done! :smile: Great splits too!

OO - lol. Speed is relative. 

So there might have been more in yesterday's run/catarhh issues/inhaler usage than I thought. This afternoon's jog was also a significant jump forward. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Nice going Stevie!

Well done selbs - that result will hopefully help you stick with it for another three weeks. Hope the long run tomorrow goes better than you are expecting.

OuchOuch - I'll pace him to a sub 3, if my stomach behaves I think I should manage that at least.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Selbs - oooh nice, good leg speed. I agree with the extra miles, although i think there's gains for amateurs like us from simply getting outside of the comfort zone and doing something different. Most folks stick with what they like doing, or feel safe doing.

Stevie - go well.

OO - thats a lot more running than i could do and i never had an op.......it turns out that the 2x hm +10min is more about a best possible hm, so agreed i could be quicker than i hoped for. But im heavy and use a lot of calories and oxygen, so cant go off too pug like. I'll set the 'no quicker than pace' to 6.30 and see what happens.

My legs are tired now so I'll be in the tired long run camp with selbs tomorrow, was planning 23m too, will cut it to 22 if 23 would take too much over 3hrs.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cracking PB run with good speed Selbs and a decent confidence booster to boot!  Hope your legs aren't too cranky for the long run, and you too TR.  Better done tomorrow than Sunday given the weather forecast.
    LMH.. good news on the car and a more encouraging pace reappearing.
    OO.. I too am tempted to enter the Berlin ballot for next year despite the entry price.  The guaranteed entry qualifying times are pretty tough!
    Go well Stevie, conditions look reasonable.
    TT.. that's good weight loss and you seem to have a handle on your condition now, hope the progress continues.
    More UCI cycling through the town today, conditions not great (damp/windy) but amazing to see the speed they are shifting - and this was the junior girls and U23 men!
    Steady 5 miler today, probably Parkrun plus a few miles tomorrow.

• Options
    Cheers Wardi

So it seems my asthma/catarhh/mucus issues had been worse than I thought. My jogs over the last few days went 8:20, 8:30, 8:30, with a spiking HR everytime I coughed/hacked, but after the extra inhaler usage today's jog was 7:59/mile for a lower heart rate, and my fartlek this evening was 5 x 3mins averaging 5:43/167bpm avg, whereas the 3 x 5mins 2 weeks ago was 6:07/169.
    It's not often I'm pleased with my running but I'm loving how this is going :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    TT - you're improving daily at the mo.

A slow 23m in 3.06 on some very tied legs. Back loaded the week with 60m between weds evening and saturday lunchtime. 90 for the week.

18 (inc solemt 1/2), 6, 6, 15, 12, 10 (inc 6 tempo), 23.

Taper time.
  • Options
    That's a huge week/half-week, TR.  Enjoy the taper madness!

Nice improvements, TT.

11.5 miles including 2 x 4km for me in rather dispiriting conditions this morning (heavy downpours and strong gusts).  I had marathon pace in mind as I didn't want to overstress the weak ankle, plus my legs have been tired this week.  17.19 and 17.20.  I know I'm not in 3.03 shape at the moment, but it's nice to dream of that and beyond!
  • Options
    Stevie - top stuff re the free shoes! Perfect beginning to the weekend. I know you will go well tomorrow, shame I wont see it all unfold as in our last two races. Best of luck - go for it mate. 

TT - superb confidence boosting running. I can feel the happiness in your posts. 

TR - massive mileage. Coming to the boil perfectly. A decent taper now will yield a massive ROI and richly deserved.

LMH - you never know in the marathon. We may be closer than you think. Good news re car and last couple of runs. 

Selbs - form is temporary, class is permanent. Great result in the 5k. I time I'll never achieve and ditto with LMH, 5k are not for me, too painful. 

Really tired midweek so capped my midweek medium run to 90 mins, then took thurs as rest day. 

Hadn't done a session either so did 6 x 3 mins on friday followed by 2 x mile at mara effort. Felt reasonable.  

Knew I had a big run this weekend so checked the weather and opted for this morning as tomorrow looks dreadful here. 

Decided beforehand to run in km for some mental stimulus, that did the trick: 30km in 2:20 followed by 10km just over 40mins for 40km in 3:01. Pretty happy with how it went but copped a mega soaking in second half. Super slippy on the tow path as well, more like XC at times. 

A couple of easy jogs tomorrow to finish off the week and then onto the taper. Not really sure how I'll go at York but must be in similar shape to Mcr as today's run was reminiscent of the Trimpell 20 race I did where I added a few on at the beginning and ran last 10 at mara effort. Who knows? What will be will be. 

Beer: big fan of Ringwood being local to my folks, all the pubs round there have it in casks. Also partial to Brooklyn lager and Sam Adam's. One of each tonight maybe :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good stuff Jools, keep plugging away and it will come back.

Nice one SJ, thats nearly 25m in 3.01. Last 10k in 40 min too, whats that ? 6.30ish pace ? Very strong run. ........you did 2.58 at abo last yr off 1.25 at VoY ? this year you did 81 at VoY, so you are in much better shape than a year ago, and have to be better than Mancs 2.55. Shame we're not in the same race. I was only thinking today what sort of time id take if i could guarantee a steady time without having to risk falling over the cliff. I decided it'd be 2.53/4 ( i still think i was heading for 255 shape for brighton but it was scuppered, yeovil was worth quicker on a better course)......but who knows what hurdles the day will throw up.........good idea re the beer, i had best get some in for after dinner.
  • Options
    As I said - I think sj will be miles in front of me! You look to be in great shape.

Nice pace Joolska.

Good week there TR - I ran 87 this week and will probably do similar next weather, legs etc permitting.

I'm not sure what's going on but today's ten miles was almost at a pace I'd consider reasonable. I'm just trying to enjoy it and hoping it lasts.
  • Options
    That's a bit more positive LMH.

Looks like SJ is in decent form but do I sense some tapir madness setting in early?  You'll be fine.  

I know the forecast for tomorrow is rubbish but I had to get junior to parkrun this morning so the long run will be tomorrow.  I'm not entirely over last week's bug which is still lingering, but it's nothing major (well, hopefully!).

Have a good one tomorrow Stevie.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good stuff LMH, may the revival continue and congrats on a big week.
    A round of applause for those great long runs and big weeks SJ & TR.
    Good MLR and session Jools, more encouraging signs of a return to form.
    Horizontal rain this morning so got an attack of CBA and skipped the Parkrun.  By 11am the sun was out so wearing my fair weather runner's hat off I trotted to get 10.4m done.
    Weather looks pretty abysmal up here tomorrow too.
    I did note that my local Parkrun was won by Jack Gray today in 14.50.  It was quite windy so I reckon he might've threatened the course record (14.37) on a calmer day.
  • Options
    LOL - that was quite a light week Wardi  :)

I hope it's nothing major and the run doesn't make it worse CD. I'll probably do my last LSR sometime in the first half of the week.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    big week TR, and another long long run!! i am sure your endurance should be fine on the day!

SJ - that's a real quality long run, especially after a bit of quality on Friday as well, you too look ready for the taper and a storming run come race day.

Jools and LMH - sounds promising...

TT - great place to be loving your running.

Todays long run was much as expected (hard) as legs were bit sore (and maybe cos i had a few real beers yesterday!).  Mostly my glutes. I ended up cutting it short to 22.7 miles (in 2:48ish) as at around 20 miles my left leg/glute got a stabbing pain/bit nerve like, and the whole leg totally collapsed on me (nearly), so had to slow down massively and just grind it home.  My mate targeting sub 3 in his first marathon at Amsterdam did 38km at 4:25m/km, he will smash it i think.

I have a work trip this week so training will be a bit disrupted, but hopefully get the normal MLR in on Tuesday before i go, and mileage should be a little lower next week anyway.  about 79 miles for the week following last weeks approx 90.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Whats with all the km splits, i have to keep doing some sums !

Steady on LMH, i detect a bit of positivity, you'll be fine for a sub3 so can relax re paces.

Hope you get the long run in CD

Selbs - well done on getting to the taper. Be careful on those niggles. Probably due to ydays 5k. 

I'll be doing 60 something this week, with a last long run next saturday. But "only" 20m, yippee.
  • Options
    That looks like a good LSR to me selbs. Easy on the beers this week.

Maybe a glimmer TR.
  • Options
    Nice to see everyone going well by the looks - SJ, Selbs, TR, Jools and nice to see a bit of mojo bubbling up LMH

Selbs, take it easy on that - it sounds a bit nervy from the loss of strength description. Hopefully the taper will work its magic.

Ive been positive but am really starting to lose my rag with this injury now, went out for a first run in 3 weeks and binned it off after 1 mile and limped home. Ive Had the MRi done just got to go back and get results, seen the chiro and physio about a dozen times but its just not fully settling. Apparently an epidural is the standard treatment if it turns out to be a prolapsed disc (what the consultant is guessing). 

• Options
    Go Stevie!

Sorry to hear that Mennania. Hope you get some answers and are back on the road soon.

I'd like to do another LSR this week but the weather is looking pretty pants apart from tomorrow - when work will stop play. Not sure whether to slog it out and hope it goes ok or leave it and hope the weather is better Tuesday or Wednesday and possibly risk not getting it done.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Oh Menn if it is that then hope the epidural works, I have had two for a bulging disc in my neck the first worked really well.  Weird experience getting injected through the front of my neck, thought they would go from the back!  Yours sounds lower down.

hope Stevie going well, will do some stalking.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Menn - tough to deal with. Hope the diagnosis and prescribed treatment helps it settle down. 

Selbs - stalking too, he's going very nicely, pacing beautifully. 

Was on the edge of my seat watching the stream of the pointy end for men at Berlin.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - hope you get some answers and a path soon. Dissapointing after having just set yr targets.

LMH - not sure if having the flexibility is good, if you had no choice youd hsve to get out there.  Its wetter here today, but not as windy as yday.

How are yr legs today Selbs?

That Berlin app was ok once i gad done all the installing faff. Well run Stevie uou and yr coach are making great progress, you run well off low miles and low amount of long runs, but thats the tempos and sessions he has you do.

5m easy peasy pace here, no more double digit easy run days.
  • Options
    There is that Tr though I have abandoned long runs when I've just got too wet and cold in the past, especially when they've meant paddling which today's probably would have as we had a lot of localised flooding. I should manage a MLR if not a LSR this week and if that's the case it will have to do.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes dont worry about it, you can still do a 20 next weekend (Charlie would do 26), i will.
  • Options
    No I won't do it as late as that TR, I'm not Charlie. Thursday is my deadline.