Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    OO - Nice hilly session OO.

Despite running what I thought might be the quietest lanes yesterday 15 was busy bisy.

11 on Sat with 8 at HMP (1, 3x1.5 and 2,5 ) massively wind affected and long recoveries - Looks good on paper but wasnt the run it was supposed to be - more a series of 10k - 10m paced intervals than a HMP session. 
  • Options
    Menn - no point worrying too much about paces when your run is wind affected. I'm sure it felt like you were putting the effort in!

Got a tough 10 weeks ahead if today was anything to go by. Warm up, 10x400m (75 secs with 75 secs recovery) and a warm down. As hard as I thought it was going to be but pleased to have all the reps 74-76. It's 2 speed sessions a week for 5 weeks then 3 a week for the following 5, so fortunately that's the hardest session of the week done! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - saturday was a tough day for sessions ! Done and dusted though.

Joe - thats a tough schedule what is that aimed at?

14m for me today.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Menn.. great effort in a buffeting wind, it had dropped from 20mph to 15mph Sat/Sun here so quite noticeable.
    Joe.. good speed in those reps.  Are these marathon focussed or for something shorter?
    TR.. good miles on a schoolday.

Still staying within my comfort zone to aid recovery (or less painful zone more like!) which seems to be 4-8 miles.  7.1m done today in much lighter winds and a nice temperature.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Menn - Plenty of training benefit from that run. Saturday was bloody windy. 
    Wardi - In my 40s I often fuelled my LSR with a sugary coffee. My body needs more comforts these days. Definetly taking a gel next time.
    Joe - nice speed for the reps.
    TR - I covered more miles than you for the first time, admittedly on a bike. Went through Padstow good to see some restaurants open offering takeaways. Good to see some life returning. 
  • Options
    Aim is a 17:20 5k. The timing is random, i've just got a 10 week plan to follow so thought I'd start today.

Didn't notice a wind this weekend but might be a sign of how little I was out the house. I've crashed and burned on too many runs or cycles not to take some fuel with me. The favourite for cycling is a pack of jaffa cakes. Placed properly in the pockets they stay reasonably in shape.

Speaking of takeaways, had a takeaway curry tonight from somewhere different. Big step up in taste from our local and only a pound delivery. Could be a game changer for the future!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The curry house sounds a good find Joe!  My local is fortunately walking distance and does have a good reputation.  Sunday's Korahi was very tasty. :p   Good luck with the 5k target - any fast Parkruns near you?  ..when they return of course.
    OO.. yes I always have something before a long run or ride, cereal or banana perhaps. 
    32m on the bike today, a bit cloudy but a nice temperature.  Looks like our last dry day for a while so thought I'd make the most of it.  Traffic almost back to normal I reckon.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Those curries sound tasty.

Hayling 10 which is in November is opening for entries on Aug 1st based on government guidelines.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    P and D 4m LT run again here, improved last weeks av 6.11 to 6.04, although it was a bit progressive as its undulating early on. A bit of hard work seems to be doing me good.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Joe - That's a great 5K target to go for. What's your current PB for 5K? Jaffa cakes, energy snack of champions.
    TR - That's really good progress over a week, nice and speedy. Well done. Good news on the Hayling 10 there's hope after all. 
    10m steady / easy run for me in the rain and all run on fields. Also today received confirmation my Geneva marathon rescheduled for Oct 4th has been cancelled. Would have potentially clashed with VLM which I am sadly expecting to go the same way. So races run so far in 2020, 2 half marathons and a PR. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - shame re Geneva, i expect all the big city races to fall away. Just 2 x 10ks for me this year,  both untapered too.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    TR - Going to be a fallow year race wise, in 2019 I'd raced 4 marathons by now and in 2018 & 2017 3 each.  Geneva was no surprise and will get the flight fare and 50% of the entry fee back. I hope you have chance to run a few races and knock up some times/ performances your training deserves. 
  • Options
    TR - very tasty pace. That kind of running should make 6:30 seem pedestrian...

Wardi - the local parkrun is OK but it's a two lapper with people going in either direction down the park paths. So you can't necessarily run your own race. Smatterings of rain quite nice at the moment as still reasonably warm but better running than cycling I think.

OO - shame on Geneva but no surprise. Hopefully the lack of racing does actually lead to some great times when we all return.

4m easy Tuesday followed by fish and chip shop chips and leftover curry. Core exercises yesterday. 7.5 miles today at just under 6:30 min/miles. Good little blast. Definitely felt quick but also reasonably under control.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. shame about Geneva, fingers crossed for Malaga then!  They are still quite bullish about Valencia going ahead on 6th Dec.
    NZ have started races again and Park run resumes there early next month.
    Joe.. brisk pace today, long time since I've had curry & chips though!   
    6.4m yesterday in light rain, just over 5m today & just got home before the heavy rain arrived.  Today's run was my most comfortable since March so I enjoyed it more and my pace was much better.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's good news on yr running Wardi. You must have good guts given your diet seemingly consists of nothing but curry & beer :D
    Not surprised NZ is restarting racing - they're CoViD free after tackling it swiftly & effectively. Think we're a long way off that. My Autumn Marathon: Snowdonia, end of October has postponed til Oct 21 & that's only got 2,500 runners. Can't see any of the bigger ones going ahead here.
    Still banging out plenty of hilly miles here & enjoying the process. 13.3, 8, 20.1, 13.1 so far this week. Making the most of the flexibility afforded by wfh. Back in from Monday :(
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed Jooligan, I come from an era where food allergies were almost unknown so I have a stomach of iron.  :)  Some good miles you're putting in there, I hope to get back into mileage monster mode at some point.  Shame about the return to work interrupting your training. :/
    Another 6.4m in the drizzle today, another comfy run with little/no discomfort so maybe I am truly on the mend. 
    I haven't seen Padams on here for a while, hope all is well.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - ive a couple of target races, it looks like racing will be back sometime around oct/nov. Someone involved in track stuff was telling me they are expecting racing from july ish, where you all arrive individually, warm up alone, arrive on track at race time, and then isolate again after.

Jools - hope you can find another autumn mara.

Wardi - good news on the leg improvement.

17m with 8m mp was on the plan, i did this last week, so aimed for 10mp today. I put 2m more into the middle of last weeks route and the av dropped from last weeks 6.35 to todays 6.38, which is fair enough i guess. I was holding 6.30s on the flatter bits so happy days. 18m in total.

Curry here tonight, as my eldest who moved out 2 weeks before lockdown can now come for a visit, so we are having a takeaway curry and a beer in the garden.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams hasnt been here since before Christmas, i saw he'd been racing prior to lockdown though.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jooligan, - your punching out those hilly miles. Good work and sounds like great fun too. Shame about Snowdonia esp as not a big mara and relatively in the middle of nowhere. 
    Wardi - That's great news being pain free. Malaga marathon, 6 months today, that's encouraging about the Valencia marathon. Everything crossed. 
    TR - Cracking session.  Hope the curry and beer were tasty, I on the other hand had a 10 hour round trip to pick up older sons stuff from Birmingham Univ. Today ran something similar/ easier to TRs, 14m with 5 fast miles in 3 chunks, 6.08/6.04, 5.58/5.47 & a 6.04. Haven't run 2 sub 6 miles in months so happy with that. Really humid and sweaty out there today.
    Decided to keep my entry for Geneva marathon as want to add a Swiss marathon to my international collection and it ticks the box for a running project I am considering for 2021 so on the board for May 2021
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - that was a long day ! Some quick running in that 14. Thats 5m around hmp. I think a bit of recent quality has given me a few gains. But im going to be back on the easier long runs next week.

Just 8m easy today.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. top work in amongst that long run yesterday; curry and beer well deserved.
    OO.. likewise some speedy chunks in that MLR.  One thing you will notice about Switzerland.. we have family on Mrs Wardi's side in Zurich - when we went for a walk around the city the first thing that hits you is no litter whatsoever - it's like walking around the lobby of a posh hotel!  The kids are brought up that way apparently.
    As I seem to be on the path to healing I'm keeping a cautious lid on it for now.  A sweaty 5m yesterday and just over 30m on the bike today.  Quite warm & humid as OO said but pleasant for cycling.
    Just to please Jooligan it is curry & beer treat tonight so the chutney & lime pickle will be making an appearance.  :p  
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdo gang.

Flat out at work,  out of work and running so not posted much.

18 with 10 is telling you your closing in on your target pace nicely TR.

OO - speedy efforts in that run. Happy days. My eldest is at Birmingham too

Good news Wardi. 

RJR - lots of curry talk! i Had a King prawn Zinga lazeez last week which is a Goan dish - first bite took in a crazy hot green chilly and spent the next 2 hours in the pain locker, hickuping, spluttering, stomach spasming. Was not a good place to be.

Running has been pretty ok s sessions and a progressive hard steady run this week and a tiring 15 today- going to take a cutback week and probably do a 10k time trial on Saturday with a few of the local big boys.
  • Options
    Menn - sounds like the Mexican we had a few weeks back. we've been trying out hello fresh but the chilli pot for that day had split so we freestyled with some out of the cupboard. wasn't enough yoghurt in the house to get the spice back down to manageable levels!

OO - some quick miles in there. must feel good as part of the longer run. 

Wardi- definitely a biking weekend. Thought the storm we had last night might clear the air but today was really humid. 

10k of 1k on/1k off yesterday with the ons around 3:50. 5 miles today at a plod. a quick(er) 5k seems a long way away but I know you can make good gains in 10 weeks. week 1 down with 31 miles.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    By coincidence we cobbled together an indoor Mexican meal last Friday.  Strangely Mrs Wardi wanted to try that 'Desperados' Mexican beer (with a hint of Tequila) for authenticity.  At 5.9% vol I told her it's not a session beer, indeed my young nephew reckons it's what the youth drink to get ratfaced in a short space of time!  We shared a large bottle and she really liked it so another one on my beer to buy list!

Joe.. if you're ever up this way my two local Park runs are very fast - we've had a few team GB members, Olympians etc at York because they know it's a quick course.  Nice session yesterday BTW.
    Menn.. the time trial sounds interesting - definitely 'easier' if you're in company of folk with similar ability. 

7.1m this morning, seemed quite hot & humid.  The bad leg is now almost 90% as good as the fully functioning leg so progress continues.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    It will be a solo run after half a mile and I will probably be stone cold last by some distance I Imagine Wardi. 🤦‍♂️ Will be a nice change though and a chance to review what my 10k looks like as my pb is 35.4x at the moment.
  • Options
    Menn - sounds like a good bunch to be hanging with even if you do end up being the 'slow' one. Sounds like you could run a great time. That pb ought to tumble.

Wardi - good news on the legs. I'm not the sweatiest person around but it's inevitable at the moment. Doesn't matter what pace/distance it's warm! I will have to seek out a quick course at some point. I'm actually quite relieved my pb was at a slower parkrun course. I think when I was at my quickest there I could have set a time down on the track that I wouldn't have a hope of bettering.

4 x 4mins today at around 3:30 min/km pace. Another good session to tick off.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Menn - Sounds like a speedy bunch to run with, looks all good. "Big boys" , metaphorically speaking. Be interested to see how it goes. 
    Joe - That's a pretty swift sess, did it feel OK?
    7m easy for me yesterday. Looks like the Dartmoor marathon end of August, 150 runners has been pulled. On the positive, lots of hassle, early morning long runs saved and £50 entry fee. Shame though. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - sounds ideal, as close to a race as you could get at the mo. Attach yr elastic and hang on !

OO - shame re Dartmoor. Im targetting IoW in Oct although its 1500ft of gain and an uphill last 3 miles, so would need an easy opening 22m...or Goodwood at end of Sept with 11 and a bit laps of the motor cct (theres a december date too). So a hilly route where sub3 is the aim, or a flat TT.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Aye shame about the autumn races still falling like flies, I do wonder when the tide will turn?  The problem for late 2020 marathons I guess is the lack of potential tune up races beforehand.
    A steady 5.3m this morning, a lovely day but sweating buckets when I got back!
  • Options
    Coincidentally, my eldest is also at Birmingham, 2nd year.  She's off up there this weekend to move houses.  I had a few nice runs along the canal during various visits in her first year.