Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Having been on both sides of the railings at London, I would be more concerned about the safety of the spectators than the runners.  At anytime during the race the tube stations around the course are rammed to the gills, it's like being in a phone box with 4 other people. 
    On my last stint supporting, once we had seen our clubmates we got on a very crowded tube to Westminster.  Then it was announced that the tube wouldn't be stopping there as the station was too full.  We ended up in St.James's Park.  Trust me when I say it is much less stressful being a runner! :|
  • Options
    Wardi - I think that's a fair argument for not running large scale events in London atm but I worry a little if this is the case in October once 80%+ of the population has been vaccinated twice. If that is the case they may as well cancel it in April as well. I'm in no place to say what's right or wrong, I just worry for the kind of precedent it sets.

On an unrelated note I took a look at my Vaporflys today and noticed they are already starting to wearing on the outside of the sole...after a grand total of 13 miles so far in them. Doesn't give me much confidence in the state they'll be in after the marathon!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - the white material? If so its irrelevant, i have a pait of flynits on then i train in sometimes, they have 500m on them, and have been like tgat since the start. A simidge of shoe goo will protect them.

Jools - good idea re dorney, i have Abo as a fall back.

Cheers for the comments, i remember the converstations i had with myself when i look back........the marathon i think of the most is Abo 2018 which was my first since 2015, i pushed too hard, didnr drink enough, eat enough or respect the distance and ended up a cramped up mess in 3.01, i think about that day every time i go for a run.......got to learn from the bad times i guess.........i could have possibly gone a bit quicker earlier Sunday, but not by much and it would have risked another 3.01.......it was defo important to finish strong. I like that approach now, its just a matter of finding the right smount of effort for the first 17m, but that does depend on course and conditions.
  • Options
    I think of your 3.01 at Abo and wish I'd stuck around longer than offering some feeble vocal support. I was happy with 2.58 after many years off but I would have been happier if we both ran 2.59 that day. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - i was already a spent force by then. I was stuck in the potty queue until a few minutes before the off,  if id have found you before the start and run with you, we'd have both run 2.58.
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I double checked and the Run Through events are UKA certified. I've entered Aintree on 25th July. Closed circuit so likely to go ahead. 4 laps of the paths around the horsey racing circuit, so pretty flat. Previous results show lots of faster runners. Should be a go-er for sub 88. And there's a Premier Inn just up the road. There was nothing near me though, the other options were all down South - Newbury and Dorney looking like the best for times AND being closed circuit. 

I don't think I'll enter a back up full marathon. A half will do it for the qualifier, and they do say that training for but not running a full marathon is great for your fitness longer term. Not sure who 'they' are, but I can see the logic. If there is another wave of some vaccine evading variant then no travel will be allowed anyway. 
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    CC2 - Aintree defo fast. Tempted by that as well now you've mentioned it. Fits in with the autumn races.

Travel was what scuppered my race at Oulton Park circuit in december. Race went ahead but I wasn't allowed to leave my county.

I didn't think much about it at the time, but banking the marathon training is obviously a good thing without the damage of the race so win win either way. So long as you are pragmatic. I got a bit down about it I must admit. 

First club session in a while last night. Went off too fast during the 25min or so tempo. Hung on best I could. Then a short pyramid session on a slippery track. Legs felt ok from the climbing at the weekend. Must be building good resistance again. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. FWIW I think London will happen.  It is just a gut feeling but they will pull out all the stops to get it on.  If the numerous pilot outdoor events happen without covid outbreaks I reckon it will get the thumbs up.   It would be a wonderful spectacle of hope in the recovery process.  If by chance it doesn't happen the backlog of ballot entries carried over, GFA, Champs etc would be a nightmare to sort out - it's complex enough as it is!
    SJ.. sounds like a good session and your legs are recovering well again.
    TR.. hope you are enjoying the recovery phase.

An ambitious double of 11m+5m today, biggest daily mileage for a while, a bit breezy but not too troublesome.  My leg does still feel a bit odd but it doesn't ache painfully as before so an improvement of sorts!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    VLM has a chance if they stop overseas runners. Maybe they'll spread the runners out a bit accross the weeked too.......ive Brighton, vlm and Abo (plus 2 more Goodwoods) so im not sure I'll enter Dorney too as a back up. Abo should be ok.

Wardi - happy to be having a few days of not running. Id usually start again tomorrow but i cant see it happening, might wait til Saturday.
  • Options
    TR - yeah its flimsy material but you wonder about the point of it when it crumbles so easily. Did you buy yourself some sort of goodwood season ticket?
    Wardi - I hope so. Like you say the backlog wouldn't be great. Thats a big double, well done for making it through.
    CC2 - I can definitely see the logic in that. I feel fitter than I have in probably 12 years atm but will probably feel far less fit 1-2 months post marathon.
    SJ - tempo plus pyramid session. same day? thats a bit different.

10.7 miles with 5x1200m (avg 4:10). Happy with that. I think that's pretty much the last of the snappy stuff.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Joe - put some shoe goo on the white material........i have the deferred Dec entry (when i had cv19), and the cancelled Feb entey from this year still to go......i might switch to the 1/2 for July 4th, but cant risk wasting a still day on a 1/2.......I'll see how i feel in a couple of weeks as to wether i want to run another mara. That course would be quick on a still day.

Just claimed my 2.58 on p of 10, happy days.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TR - always great seeing the time on the Po10 profile. I need to run more events. My profile is pitiful considering I supposedly run for a club. 

RJR - apparently there is some politics going on with the coaches so sessions are a bit hit and miss atm. Venues are a bit messed up too because of covid so trying to cater for different groups. 

Wardi - breezy here too and a bite in the air meant long sleeves were back out. Good to read the leg has improved sufficiently not to be troubled by a nice double.

Got round to watching Mastermind on iPlayer. Tense finish.  

Followed up last nights session with 17km on a moderately lumpy route. Took a while to warm up but got going eventually. 
  • Options
    I somehow missed your Mallory Park 10k write-up a few pages back CC2. Superb run and 3rd fastest time ever is awesome. Bodes very well for the next few months. I particularly liked your mile by mile thought process. That panic after the first mile... then settling down... then going for it. Top stuff. 
  • Options
    TR - Is shoe goo the technical term? Must be quite nice to essentially pick and choose your marathons depending on how you're feeling.
    SJ - Club politics not ideal. It ought to be quite simple to organise and run sessions, provided you have the personnel. A session followed by a 10+ miler. You're sounding a lot like a marathon trainer!

14.4 miles today with the legs feeling a bit heavy. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - yes, thats its name. I wear the rear outside corner of my running shoes more tha the left, so balance them up with shoe goo.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Nice MLR Joe, the legs should be pleasantly tired at this stage. 
    Re. The Mastermind final..  Dan reckoned the winner was 'a bit intense'.  He looked like a young William Rees-Mogg!

After yesterday's double a steady 5m today, but who's turned the heat off?  It's a bit chilly out there.🥶
  • Options
    TR - Thanks, i'll check it out. I guess it's an insight into my foot-striking style to see where I'm wearing them out.
    Wardi - Definitely cooler, and even more definitely wetter.

Happy to say I found the sunshine today for 6 miles but feel pretty cooked all the same. 247 miles for April represents my biggest ever month. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good mileage for the month Joe, a gradual taper should freshen your legs up.
    Similar here, 10k with the 2nd half home across the fields (scenic route!).  Got back 20 minutes before the downpour so dodged a thorough wetting. 

Pacing duty in the morning. A V60 lady in our club is going for a sub 4hr virtual marathon to qualify for something or other.  I'm running the last 10-11 miles with her so I need to get my metronome head on.  Conditions look kind for her and I'm tall enough to be a wind break.😏
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joe -  That's really good mileage, you seem to be absorbing it well.
    TR -  Good you are having a decent rest following your race.  I had a spy at your PO10, admirable consistency in your times for VLM - I think the last 3 you did, all 2.54 had a spread of 9 seconds.  
    Wardi - I hope the pacing goes well, let us know how it goes? 
    SJ - Good your back at it.  I love PO10, my best moment in 2019 when I was top V50 marathon runner for 3 months as I did well in the only real marathon run.

224 miles for April, affected by 3 weeks of also swim / bike training though my Mortons problem/ left foot is giving me gyp so probably would have been around that anyways.  The triathlon is next Saturday, so changing swimming in a heated pool to a cold lake  is the big fear as the bike and run will be ok.  10m with a 10k effort yesterday, came out 39.22, pleased with that as a touch windy and not too hard an effort.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Welldone joe you are well placed at the mo

Wardi - pressure is on, im sure you'll do a fine job.

OO - pacy 10k, hope the lake warms up quick. That was 2013, 14 and 15. I ran with ode and the aim was sub 255, probably could have gone quicker, but i was more multisport and less marathon focus then,  my mileage would drop rapidly after vlm for the rest of the year...........if i was running at vlm last week id have backed myaelf to run a similar time again with better weather, the occasion, crowds and folks to run with............took a couple of extra days this time, i didnt dig myself into any holes ladt sunday, so reckon there's gains to be had if i let them soak in, so did. 

Off for a run in mo though.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    8m done, legs were pretty good, OP and groin were a bit sore, but thats to be expected.
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    Wardi - that's the plan. Hope the pacing is going/ has gone well. At least the pace is comfortable!
    OO - nice 10k and a pretty chunky month still with cross training. A slightly different race report on the horizon?
    TR - very good. sounds like your post marathon has been very sensible. Should set you up nicely to go again.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice to get out for a run again, bet it felt good👍
    OO.  a sub 40 10k in the middle of a 10 miler is impressive!  I've developed a small sore spot on top of my foot but I can't feel it when running.

The old girl did very well.  A slight wobble from 22-24m but after a stern talking to from her male chaperones she rallied well and finished strongly.. 3:56.50.  Not too shabby at all as at 64 she's at the 'wrong end' of the age group.
    14.4m for me including the run back to the car.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Wardi - nicely done. Impressive from the V60 runner. A good 14.4m from yourself too.  A good day out I'd say.
    Joe - Far more dressing-up than usual.  A direct read across is a sub-3 aim.  Hoping for c38 minute swim, 1.35 bike, 41 min run and less than 5 minutes general faffing.   Its a slightly long olympic distance with a 45k ride rather than 40k and a 10.2k run,  so it will be tight. 
    TR - Easy as it goes for the next week. 

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    You’ll be tearing through the field once you get off the bike with those splits. What’s the elevation like on the bike & run OO?
    Cracking pacing job Wardi. Bet the lady in question was happy as Larry after.
    I did some pacing myself yesterday: 29 miles across the Brecon Beacons. Very sedate pace but my quads are trashed after climbing 6,000ft & descending 7,000 whilst carrying the chap’s kit + my own. He’d done 24M when I joined him & still had 24 to go when we parted company 😆
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I hope so and its all pretty flat Jooligan with the run 3 laps of a lake. I was half thinking with my dabbles at triathlon and mountain running I was becoming a mini- Jooligan, and then I see the pacing run you've just done, chapeau to you must have been incredible out there. What was your pal doing?
    6m run to and from the swimming pool, 1500m swim. Planning a 45k ride later. Glorious weather for it. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Wardi,  good stuff.

Good work OO, thats a good days efforts

I did another easy 8m, my legs groaned a bit in the last couple, theres no way i could do 29m of mountain running.
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff Wardi well done, to you and her.
    Thats poetic OO to be aiming for a sub 3 given the thread. Best of luck for it.
    Jooligan - dear God. I'm not surprised. Mountain goat that you are, that's still a tough thing to do any time let alone a week after a marathon.
    TR - good ticking over there.

17 miles of running this morning and a 3 mile walk home as my achilles was hurting. Came on all of a sudden, was ok walking but painful with any running. Hopefully doing the sensible thing has limited any damage.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Jooligan: blimey, that would be tough on fresh legs, let alone a week after a marathon.  You're mad!

Good to see you have recovered well, TR.  Let your legs recover, though - they were a bit creaky a few weeks out from the marathon, after all, so are probably keen for a proper rest.

Sounds like you did the right thing in backing off immediately, Joe.  I hope the achilles settles quickly.

Nice pace job, Wardi, and congrats to the pace-ee (not a word, but it should be).

242 for me in April.  I started May with 11 miles including 8 x 1km off 2 minutes.  Averaged 3.57 with the first 3 @ 3.54, which turned out to be a bit greedy.  I must admit I didn't think I am in 39-dead shape at the moment, but the first rep, with someone a few hundred metres ahead of me going a tad slower than my target pace to chase down, felt pretty effortless.  It got harder with no-one to chase, especially in the final few reps as the legs got tired.  Still, 3.57/km is 6.21m/m, and it's been something like 3.5 years since I've got within ~20s/mile of PB pace, so I'm taking that as a result.  It was followed by a long day in the car, as a round trip to Reading to have lunch with my folks ended up taking 5 hours due to malfunctioning windscreen wipers (not the best fault to discover during rain @ 70mph on the motorway, in case you're wondering: we then had to sit around waiting for the rain to clear) and then hitting the Kill the Bill protests as we returned to Bristol.  Today's 19 @ 8.06m/m felt a bit creaky, but brought up 58 for the week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. a fine confidence boosting set of intervals and a decent long run today, good weekend except for the wipers!  Sounds like the fuse has popped if they're off completely.
    OO.. good mix of training, remind me when is the tri?
    Jooligan.. excellent porterage skills on a lumpy route, not surprised your legs are sore!  On my Himalayan trek many years back, I was always in awe of the local porters carrying huge loads and scampering around the mountains in flip flops.🙄
    Joe.. good miles bagged but sensible to preserve that Achilles.  Rubbing an ice cube or ice pack up and down the tendon tends to soothe it.
    TR.. easy does it, I usually find it takes around 10 days post marathon before the stiffness and soreness has gone.

Just over 11m this morning.  Glorious sun and blue sky at the racecourse until a fat dark cloud hoved into view after 7-8m.  Not in the forecast so I got a wetting for about 15 minutes.  I felt more sorry for the mums and dads who were out with their young kids - they could be seen sheltering under trees!  The sun returned for the last mile so I dried out on the way back to the car.  64m for the week.