Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - Good call and encouraging that walking and cycling is pain free.  You seem to be doing everything you can to ensure you can resume running Asap 
    TR - I am tempted by some new race shoes but still weighing up the Nikes vs Endorphins. A nice buy though and yes easily 2-3 minutes gain and easier recovery.
    10m for me, 3m with the dog and then keen to do a hilly run as training for my forthcoming trail marathons which have plenty of climbing dropped her home and out again for 7m with 1500 of ft of climb which seemed plenty.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - i was tempted to order the pro too and then see how they compare (obviously i cant run in them to compare). Lots of reviews rate the pro but say they are for shorter distances and the next protect the legs more. Ill see how the next feel first.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. In some ways it's more frustrating when an injury/ niggle appears out of the blue with no advance warning.  Good luck with the recovery.
    OO.. from what I remember of Cornwall you wouldn't have far to go to find a hill.🙂  What's your dog's maximum distance?
    TR..I've noticed a few comments from runners saying there was a definite anti-Nike sentiment a few years back.  All seems to have been forgiven now with the go faster shoes!
    Just over 5m this morning before the afternoon downpours started.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Turbo day, 80min. 10min wu, 12x4min/1min, 10min stdy.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joe - good call but super frustrating. Hopefully you are back at it sooner rather than later. Encouraging that you are able to walk/cycle pain free. 

OO - that's a nice days work and great that your friend managed to keep you company for a few miles. My Goldie retriever is 10 years old today, that has flown by in the blink of an eye. She was never much of a running mate though. 

Wardi - better weather over your side today? Warm and intermittent sunshine here. Most pleasant after all the rain. 

TR - Nice pressie. Looks like you'll be a good few minutes up the road at London with the speedy shoes on. I'm staying old-school  I think. Although I do like the idea that the Nikes are beneficial to leg recovery. 

Jools - yes hoping the consistent training does indeed work its pace magic once again. No reason why it wont but diminishing returns I guess as we get older. At some point the pace just goes? 

30km again this morning with company. Felt strong again and picking pace up a little towards the end. Some tarmac, trails past Man U training ground and canal tow path. Nice in the aforementioned sunshine.

I've also entered a few low-key fixtures for june/july. A trail 5 miler and the club 5k series. I generally hate 5k but it's a chance to compare fitness over a set of races. I have also used my deferred Oulton Park entry for the half at Aintree. Which I think is 5 weeks out from London. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good work on the turbo TR, how do the legs feel with a session like that the day after a big run?
    Nice long run SJ, yes simular conditions here - see below.
    Showers forecast all day here.  Too warm for a jacket or gilet this morning though so took a chance on t-shirt and shorts.  Managed 12.5m at a decent pace in nice temps and even some sun.. and oh joy I didn't get wet!
    61m for the week, leg much improved.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    SJ - nice one on the long run, you're in a good place at the mo, and ready to step up to 20m when required........i liked the idea of staying old school (so did for Goodwood), but id ike to stay competitive AG wise and theres the recovery aspect, they're not going away. The shoes will be worth a few minutes, so i had best have a sub3 buffer of a little more for peace of mind.
    Wardi - good keeping dry skills. I got wet in my 20m yday, would have got wet if id run instead of turbo, and got wet just now on walkies..........legs ok today, HR a bit low at first, legs will be toast for tomorrows run commute home though......i made the commitment to try to keep off my running legs one day a week for a while through the spring and summer rhough, will review it after Goodwood part 3 (in 7 wks).
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Another back-to-back weekend for me: 11 yesterday with 5 x 2km alternating between marathon effort and half-marathon effort (off 2 minutes).  Pretty much bang on 3 hour and 1.25 pace, so pleased with that, as I was still feeling a bit flat. I felt much better this morning, and my 20 miler was 7.47 pace.  A bit of a surprise given my legs were tired, but nice to know I'm getting back into half-decent shape.  61 miles for the week.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - ah I see what you mean re keeping up with the other gfa people. Hmm. Food for thought. 

Wardi - excellent news re the leg and proof if any were needed by declaring on 61 for the week. 55 at this end which is where I wanted to be this week having built up to 60 last. I realise me speaking all european with the km's isn't helping anyone on here. I'll convert from now on. 

Thought I best get something provisionally booked for my over-night in the big smoke on October 2nd. As I've only ever run London once, in 2008, I have only that experience to go off. I think I stayed near London Bridge and possibly the DLR was my go-to for the Excel and Greenwich. Is there anything better? I think I've left it too late for anything near Greenwich itself. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I tend to stay near Southwark/Westminster, so a fairly similar area, on the basis that you can get the Jubilee Line and then DLR for the expo, it's easy to get a train to the start from Waterloo East and then you can walk back after the finish.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Thanks Joolska, much appreciated. 

That's another excellent weekends' work in the bank. I like the look of those rep sessions and hitting target paces. I've incorporated running long on tired legs before to good effect. In fact, I think I might have borrowed that idea from you a few years ago. I seem to recall running 10mile progressively on Saturdays before a sunday long run. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. similar to Jools I like to stay somewhere within walking distance of the trains to the start.  It is one less thing to get stressed up about on race day.  Southwark in recent years for me which is handy for either London Bridge or Waterloo East.  Some years back I used to stay in County Hall near the big wheel but it got very expensive.  BTW thanks re. the leg.  Discomfort is gone from the quad/hamstring/knee - I can just feel a slight pull in the glute if I stretch but it is slowly on the mend. 
    Jools.. that's a cracking two days of exercise and a great progress/confidence booster.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - youre defo getting back into good shape, thats a couple of tasty runs. Alternating hmp and mp is a tough session and to back it up with 20 av 7.47s is impressive. I did 2nd 10 av 7.17 yday, but 1st 10 was av 8.18, and i hadnt done 2k reps the day before.......who is setting your training atm ? Are you going to switch to P and D for an 18 wk block soon ?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I am setting my training! P&D starts 2 weeks tomorrow 😀
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    You're doing a good job, you should take on some athletes......20 weeks to go then.......
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Joe - How's the achilles and hope this recuperation time is not too frustrating?
    Wardi/ SJ - My pooch, Bramble used to be good for 12 miles or so, she just ran with me, now she is far too interested in sights and smells, so I have to put her on a lead and this tends to be a slow 2-3m out somewhere and then lead-off and she runs back freely.  I tend to run with her 3-4 times a week.

Feels peoples running and training has cranked up a gear over the weekend with London on the horizon, faster and tougher sessions, tougher back to back sessions. accommodation being sorted out, plans starting and tune-up races scheduled.  So a collective well-done folks. 

With my marathon 5 weeks ago, ran another 21m y'day but this time a slow hilly affair in 3:00:08, seeking out every hill between here and Padstow so clocked 2,300 ft of climbing - the marathon has 3,600 ft.   74m for the week which is the highest since 3/2019 with 3 20m+ runs banked in the past 5 weeks. Cut back week this.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A gentle 5 this morning, although came out at a surprising 8.17s.  I suspect the DOMS will kick in properly tomorrow!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    PS: that's a tough 21 miler, OO, but I doubt you need me to tell you that!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all!

joe - sorry to read you've had to bin the race. Rest up and recover well.

Only had a quick scan back as it has been a while! I like most of the ales posted. I tend towards Wychwood and Brakspear as that's what the two pubs I usually go to (rarely) have on tape, though also partial to a Bank's bitter, and a Tanglefoot (Badger Brewery).

It ended up being almost a month between runs for me. The house is looking in much better shape now. Through circumstances we ended up doing 5 rooms all at once which has been a hard slog (particularly as I've had to rewire pretty much anything electrical I touched), but I've learned a lot, and we've almost finished (bit more tiling in the bathroom and woodwork in the bedroom and landing being the main remaining jobs), thankfully.

Got 3 runs of 5-6m in last week and hoping to fit in a few more this week. Long road back to fitness but it'll be fun.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one OO, good miles and long run. A hilly 3hrs is a good strength builder.

TT - id be surprised if you showed up here and said you'd had a seamless few weeks of consistent running.

13m run home tonight, feeling the turbo (as expected). Poured down for 3m, but luckily it stopped and i warmed up a bit then.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OO.. very impressive long run with elevations yesterday, a good week of miles in the bank too.

TR.. shame about the wetting but a good MLR done & dusted.

TT.. excellent DIY skills!  Hopefully you can get into a training groove when it's all done.

10k in the drizzle this morning, heavy rain in the afternoon once again.  Off road is starting to get muddy again after the hard baked dust of the drought!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Haha TR. Fair point, though at least this time the missed training was by choice. Not running only impacts me; the house issues were impacting everybody.

Cheers Wardi. The carpets going in Thursday week is a deadline of sorts for the major diy so I'm hopeful that that marks a return to proper training too.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good man TT

Quick turnaround for 10m inc 12x3mins/30sec. Legs were still achey from sundays Turbo so the pace was way off, but i tried hard enough. Might need to review my sunday Turbo as it affects my running for a couple of days.....or just suck it up.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A very overdue strength and conditioning session last night (which I can definitely feel in my arms today...) and then 7 miles with 12 sets of strides this morning.

In non-running news, the sofa we ordered in December has finally arrived.  To be fair, it was always supposed to take 12-16 weeks as it was custom build due to us needing a very small sofa (our cottage has small rooms and narrow doors) and then lockdown 3 intervened and slowed things down.  But there is now a sofa for the humans and sofa for the cats, which is good news for us!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. given the curious nature of young cats I'm sure your new sofa will be a fascinating addition for exploration 😊

Speaking of narrow doors.. our house is like a giant bungalow with the upstairs built into the roof.  In some of the upper deck rooms there are 'Wendy House' style mini doors for access to the eaves.  I had to crawl through one at the weekend to investigate a leak.  The doors measure 13" x 32" so they should have a sign above saying 'Small children or skinny athletes only.  🤔  

TR.. good effort after a few heavy days.  The one thing I first noticed in senior years was recovery taking a bit longer than my youth.

TT.. new carpets always feel nice underfoot.  We had our stairs/landing done in March and the novelty hasn't worn off yet!

10.5m done this morning.  After a 10 minute black cloud and cold rain interlude the sun reappeared for the rest of the run so only a brief wetting.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good rain avoidance again, i had a dry run today but copped it biking home.......fair point re recovery, id have struggled to do long run, hard turbo, mlr and 3 min reps on consecutive days years ago..........to be fair to Steph Davis she did say turbo hard if you are not running too, and to do some of yr easy running miles on the turbo if you are doing hard running sessions........i prefer to turbo as a session though as its less boring, i could just do the reps on the turbo and run easier, ill mull it over before next week.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joolska - Busy couple of days, that sofa will come in handy.
    TR - Taking it a bit easier on the Turbo could be an idea. 
    My marathon in Wales for the end of June has been cancelled! Bit of a bugger as was going to see my siblings at the same time. Luckily there's another hilly marathon the same weekend in North Devon, so I will enter that. Even more climbing as it largely follows the coastal path, so should be a stunner if the sun is out. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's a beast OO. Winning time was 3:49 last year!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - From a local 72 min HM runner!!  Great prep for my race in the French Alps in August which thankfully is looking more likely by the day. 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    72 converted to 3.49?  Ye gods.  That is a tough day out!

13 for me this morning.  Rather heavy legged, but I realised that it is because I am on my 7th day of running, and that the 13 miles took me to a rolling 7 day total of 76 miles.