Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    TR/Wardi/Jools - nice training!
    OO - that sounds a tad on the tough side!
    9m for me this morning felt a bit blah, but it'll get there.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. nice to see you had time for a run, a bit of consistency should improve the enjoyment factor.

Jools.. that's an impressive 7 day total with all the quality workouts in amongst. 

OO.. shame about your A race but the North Devon option sounds suitably brutal. 🤔

Just over 12m this morning, only the one 10 minute shower otherwise a pleasantly warm run.  That's 22.5m in 2 days, I couldn't have done that a month ago so more decent progress on the niggle front.👍
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - that sounds a toughie, but i guess they couldnt put on a flat mara there even if they wanted to.

Jools - top miles. You have put in some reallly good stuff, so have set yourself up very nicely before you've even started the 18 weeker.

Wardi- you must defo be on the mend then.

13m commute home, legs were heavy as expected. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Jools - sofa sounds like it's been worth the wait. Nice training over last 7 days. Showing good strength being built up. 

TT - good news the diy is nearing completion. Good to hear you are going to free up time to run more. 

OO - annoying on the cancellation especially as the focus wasnt just the race. As others, the local replacement sounds brutal. 

TR - backing up has always been a strong point for you. As the midweek mlr start to increase this will be my next challenge to absorb following a club session.

Wardi - great news re the niggle improving to the point it has. 

Ropey run tonight but I kind of expected that. Last night I felt good at the club session of 20 mins tempo (6:05/mile) followed by 5 x 400m a bit quicker again. Toughie which I knew I would pay for tonight. 

Bailed on the hilly second half and came home along the canal tow path for 10 miles. Taraxacum erythrospermum going crazy tonight, felt like I was running through a snowstorm. 
  • Options
    Masters T&F league report

Well, everything was delayed (of course) so I had to literally sprint over from the finish of the 400m to the shot put, had no practice throws so the first time I ever even picked up a shot in my life, got a legal throw of 3m25, could have improved on it but there was no time as I had to get over to the start of the 1500! I manged to mess up my watch and failed to stop it until I had driven over 50 miles home, but I pressed 'lap' at 5 mins 10. There was no clock and they weren't putting results up on a board to reduce crowding, so I'll have to wait for my official times. No clue for the 400 as I didn't record it myself on the watch. 

I was hoping for a little quicker in the 1500, but I was too scared to lead the race. I've never been at the front on a 1500. They'd lumped our race in with the older fellas to try to claw back lost time so I just sat in behind David Oxland and let him lead. We went through 300m on target but then I couldn't do the maths after that so didn't realise we weren't on 5.07 pace. I did think it felt too comfortable but just not confident enough to trust that feeling. At the bell I went past David and ran my fastest lap and wasn't dying at the end. I'll have to do another one now and just take the race out if there's no-one fast there.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A very ploddy off-road 9 for me this morning at 8.28s.  

Sounds like a busy night, Speedy.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Excellent multi-sporting CC2.  You're braver than me - if I had a go at shot put I think either me or some other unfortunate soul would get injured.
    SJ.. sounds like the towpath was a sensible option.  When the cart tracks are dry round here the main peril is large farm vehicles throwing up a cloud of dust!
    TR.. you did well to grind out 13m after recent days.
    Jools.. how early are your morning runs?  I tend to be quite sluggish first thing.
    10k on slightly tired legs this morning.  Heavy rain was due late morning so forced myself out early for the dry spell.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    SJ - good session and 10m combo there. 

Well done CC. I was an athletics club kid, we'd get put in the shot, discuss, pole vault, relays etc to gain an extra point or two as well as your own middle distance races.....i can remember we'd take turns to do the 3k walk which was always first event and ruined your legs for the rest of the day.....i also remember doing a B or C string 100m and being the only person in the race........i have absolutely no desire to run on a track now except for the start and finish of a marathon where its required like Abo.

8m run commute in, legs were a bit easier than yday.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Depending on other commitments weekdays I usually leave between 6.45 and 7.15.  Weekends anything after 8, but can be quite a bit after 8 😆
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I am starting to take the Strava May climbing challenge a bit too seriously, so 18m yesterday and 11m today with 3500 ft of climbing. However my monthly climbing total is 10% of the leader of the challenge, a German guy who who seems to run 20-25m every day, climbing 6-8,000 feet and when he gets to the top, has a different beer every day. Fascinating.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one OO, good strength building. That fella sounds like a yough guy, i like his beery style too.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    OO sounds like you’re embracing the hills. I’m back on my EverQuest after a flatter April. About 900m short at the minute but Saturday should sort that out.
    CC2 excellent 1500 & multi-eventing.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Minimal (wtfp) 6m today hanging on to my syrup. Long un tomorrow.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good climbing OO, I guess you won't have to resort to Charlie's patented hill practice of running up & down the steps of multi storey car parks? :)
    TR.. was it windy and/or wet down your way?  Not much wind to speak of here but dragged myself out this morning for a very soggy 6.4m.  Not very often I get the posh winter rain jacket out in summer but if needs must. :|
    It looks dry tomorrow morning so will try something a bit longer.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Wardi - both, gales and rain. 60+ mph gusts. 89mph measured at IoW. Branches off trees stuff. Might have to hurdle a few tomorrow round the lanes.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OO - I know Cornwall is lumpy but that is some going. I can get over 1000m in a single run but it kills me. Last one a few weeks ago left me sitting down unable to get up for 5 minutes at the end. I have learned to love the hills. Great training. 

Jooligan - no need to wish you well on your Everest challenge, in the bag, springs to mind. Top stuff. 

Wardi - disgusting weather all week here so far. Typical as my back garden is being renovated! A foot dug up off everything at the beginning of the week. All moved to the front driveway where a grabber picked it all up in two loads. You can imagine what the drive, side of the house and rear looks like with the amount of rain we've had. Reminds me of wet Glastonbury's I attended. Nice work getting out in the posh jacket. 

TR - mind how you go with the steeplechasing tomorrow. The easy runs are useful too right? Saying that I just listened to an Andi Jones interview on a new podcast called Local Runners, based on runners from my neck of the woods up here in East Manchester, Jones, much like his Welsh namesake, didnt do easy runs. Everything was 6min/miles or faster. Brutal training attitude. 

I wussed out and opted for the treadmill. I got a soaking last night and didnt fancy being soaked to the skin by the end of my street. Did a fartlek session on zwift to keep it interesting. Dont believe any of the numbers but the legs were going quicker, then a bit slower, then a bit quicker so something I guess. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - The local hill is 300 metres away and is 1200 metres long at an average gradient of 7-8% so very handy for todays double session where I more or less ran up and down it for 10 miles with another 2000 ft banked.  Started the day in 19,500 position out of 250,000 or so registered doing the challenge with Strava, will finish in around 14,500.  Aiming for top 10,000 by the months end and top 500 in the UK, but it gets harder from here in.  Little things...  
    Jooligan - Whats EverQuest? Saturday sounds fun. 

For Nike members, they are having a 30% promotion, using the code summer21, so just entered the light from the dark ages and bought myself a pair of Vaporfly Next Percent, eyewatering but I am convincing myself a bargain at £169.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - agreed, nearly all of them are easy runs, i dont run any quicker on the 13 or 14 milers they just take longer. Just 6m today to give my legs a short duration. Im doing an easy long run tomorrow so the only miles quicker than 8mm in the whole week will be the 12 x 3mins. I just get a bit wftp in going for a run that only lasts 50min.......id be on the treadie too, if i had one and wasnt run commuting.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OO just my personal challenge to Everest each month this year. I opted out last month as I’d entered Shepperdine so it was a flat month (4,380m) but my annual average is still on track. 
    Good climbing again. 
    I’m currently 2,104th globally & 86th in 🇬🇧 
    I guess even you had to get unlucky with the rain at some point Wardi. Well toughed out. 
    Just drizzling by the time I got out for my half dozen.
    Glad the weather’s looking better for tomorrow’s fell running adventures 😎
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Jooligan - Cheers, that's doubly impressive.  I missed the first 4/5 days of the Strava challenge so playing catch-up.  I am off to stalk you now. 

SJ - X-post,  1000 metres is impressive, I would have sat down too.  I am still playing in feet not metres. 

Yes, miserable running weather today and most of the week.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - missed yr earlier post. Nice, good deal that with 30% off. I was tempted to send my ver2 back and get some ver 1 instead. Should notice an improvement from normal trainers.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    OO - yeah I'm aware I am mixing my units quite badly on here. I went metric middle of last year and haven't looked back. It started as a mental reset but I've stuck with it. I'm trying to convert for this thread. Nice one on the fancy shoe purchase and the discount. 

Jooligan - that's impressive current placing. Hope the weather has been kind to you today on the fells.

TR - hope the weather behaved today for you too. We must be due some sun at some point. It's almost June!!

6 miles this morning at slower than 8min/miles. Nice and relaxed. Long one to go in the morning. Hoping to jump in with the group again. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. euro marathons & halfs are always marked in k's, often 5m markers are put along the course for us Brits!  In some ways I quite enjoy marathons in k's as they seem to wizz by quickly and offer a more frequent pace check.

OO/Jooligan.. impressive climbing!

Chilly with the odd spot of rain earlier so just over 10m around the racecourse this morning, conveniently forgetting that there is a race meeting today with spectators.  They still let the usual walkers and runners on until noon so it was good to see the horses 🐎 arriving and preparations happening.  As I was leaving I did see a few finely clad ladies arriving for the meeting, I'm sure they were shivering. 😨
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Wardi - did you offer them yr smoking jacket?

SJ - rained for at least half of my run in total. I had a Hellly and a t shirt on so kept warm. 6 weeks til Goodwood, might be a shock if its a warm day.

Time on feet 22m, aim was for around 3hrs, but i think i took the time on feet a bit far with av 8.21 (3.03.4X). Feel like i should do a bit of exercise now, but thats probably a good sign.
  • Options
    I waited until noon to go out today so I could a) have a lie in and b) avoid the rain. So different from May last year!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10 miles with a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 pyramid. Legs felt very heavy post massage and the wind was a bit frisky. All in all a bit of a grind, but better done than not!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Good sharpening session in the breeze Jools.

CC2.. it was a touch warmer this afternoon so I think you made the right call.

TR.. that's a long time out, shame about the mixed weather but a fine long run in the bag.  

A 2nd run bagged as Mrs Wardi wanted a run.  Thought I'd better chaperone as there is a 6'2" 'well built' black fella on the run from police near us.  Apparently he made good his escape across very muddy fields so he shouldn't be difficult to spot!  
    10m+4m for the day.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Wardi - exactly why I love km's. The pace feedback is so much better and they do tick by as you say. I've tuned in to what paces are etc now which was the initial hurdle. Nice double with the second on protection duty. Had the felon been apprehended yet?

Joolska - nice session again and as you say it's done. Banked. Move on. 

CC2 - weather has been terrible. Our garden should be done end of next week. Hoping we get to enjoy it a little this year. 

TR - that's a strong time-on-feet run. I take it you found it very cruisey, hence the "should probabaly do some exercise" comment? Good sign as you say. Do you intend on some sharpening in the run up to Goodwood (part III ? )

Ran solo today as the group were doing different things this morning, some doing a local 10k, so I opted for my lumpy road route up to the edge of Saddleworth moor. All in 20 miles in 2.32. Pretty happy with that at this stage. 
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Sounds like a good chunk more to come off that 1500 CC2. Well done.

Jools - what kind of effort for the pyramid? Tough sessions are worth more in my book. 

Nice long runs being banked sj and TR. 

2m for me this morning with the Mrs and the dog brought up 51m for my first week back. Felt good. No efforts in there bar a 1.1m pickup (HM effort) at the end of Monday's run, and 3m steady (with a 30s surge @ 3-5km effort in the middle of each mile) during yesterday's 9m. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good session again jools.

SJ - good 20 that. Yes, yday was a bit of a jogette. Will do a couple more +10% runs and mp runs yet, plus some more 3min sessions. Yday was tedious, but time on feet rather rhan pace is a good idea sometimes.

TT - a few of those in a row will set you up.

Turbo day here, but made it more marathon relative with wu, 3x20mins, wd.