Options

London Hydro Active Women's Challenge 5K

124»

Comments

• Options
    Well done on all your PBs everyone! I managed to squeeze 2 secs off mine (33:30) despite all the congestion. I must be weird because I actually liked the hills - and Bourne, it's the first time I've run all the way too (I was also in the sub-35 group and saw the woman on her mobile so we must've been pretty close together most of the way round).
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Kit,

The sign for the sub 25 min group was at the very front of the sub 35 min group.

So you had to walk all through the sub 35 min group. I got to the start at about 10.20 and walked though about 5-10 lines of people. So if they do the same kind of start next year the earlier you get to the start the better. There is loads of room for you to warm up in the sub 25 min area. However it did look fuller than last year and people where climbing over the barriers to make sure they got in it.
  • Options
    I saw a woman with a young child right at the front on the BBC coverage: same person you are talking about?

I enjoyed the atmosphere generally, but just found the race frustrating. I got caught in the loo queue at the race start, and joined the back of the sub 35 when the first wave had already gone. Since I've been doing 39 minutes over 3 miles in training, that should have been a bit fast for me if anything. As if... besides having to walk for most of the first 2 ks because it was too crowded for anyone to run above walking pace, I spent the rest of the race weaving. I think doing run/walk made it worse. I'd move over to the right to walk, but then every time I ran I'd be going hoarse shouting 'excuse me' to walkers AND slower runners. Some of whom I'd have to re-overtake after my next walk break... Afterwards I was thinking I should have positioned myself according to my running speed, not my overall walk/run speed... Anyway, I finished in 40:54, which considering it's slightly over 3 miles is at least consistent with my training speeds. And I probably ran a lot further. And that 'none consensual fartleking' I was doing (you know what I mean...) is probably good training! LOL

I also got a signed card off Paula (which I'm trying to persuade myself I should sell for my charity...), and went back and got my medal signed too. Though I was trying to be polite and patient which meant I ended up getting shoved out and got shirty just as Paula came up... grrrr..
  • Options
    my zone was pretty packed.....couldn't weave through so i was literally stuck ^_^ i should get there abit early next time.

Awww I loved the warm up session I had a dream about it last night, and I was having a fab time lol.

I heard from my little sister that a woman was either injured or had a nosebleed....does anyone know what happened to her? She was bleedy quite heavily.
  • Options
    Ideas for improving the congestion:

1) Make the start as narrow as those early narrow parts of the course, so the flow is spread out at the start, not bottlenecked when it reaches the narrows.

2) Add a wave or two. Advertise the first wave as being for competitive, experienced people who've already done races in (for example) sub 30 only. Ban under (12s?) from this wave. Maybe make this wave (or two) a separate sign-up?

3)Be realistic with the advertised times (what the heck were they doing with a sub-25 wave if they knew only 150 people did that time last year? That's just asking for people to break that rule), and with the way people are going to interpret that. A lot of people who've never run are going to think 'well, I'm quite fit, so I'm going to run all the way, so I'll go in the first wave', without having any idea what their time is likely to be. Word the advertising right and people will be willing to shift back without thinking they are being labelled as 'slow' or none runners. EG:

Wave A: Experienced competive runners with previous times under 30 minutes. Please do not join this wave if this is your first race/timetrial. No under 12's

Wave B: Fast beginners and slower experienced competitors, times under 40 minutes. Please do not join this wave if you are not running several times a week.

Wave C: This is your wave if have done some training or are reasonbly fit from other sports, but not sure how you'll do. Times under 50 minutes.

Wave D: Mostly walkers, Walkers, funny walkers, toddlers, folks in heavy costumes, three (or more) legged folks, folks walking in large groups, and those just doing it.

3) Start the waves further apart

4) Avoid making rules about walkers: it's rubbish to suggest that the problems are just walkers. Not all walkers go at 3.5 miles an hour and not all runners go at 10 miles and hour. Rather than 'walkers on the right' the rule should be 'slow lane on the left: please keep as far left as you can, and only move right to overtake' (works pretty well on roads... and the competitive end of races, so why not at the back end of the race?)

5) Give up on asking people to walk in single file. If people have come to do it with their mates, they want to do it WITH them, not looking at their backsides. That's another rule just asking to be broken. I'd ask people competing (note, not walking... slow running groups were a problem for me too...) to move a maximum of two abreast, and consider moving to the last wave if they want to move as a big group.

I'm a frustrated organiser... LOL
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Rowan,

I don't know if just having one group for sub 30 is a good idea.

I know that a lot of people run inbetween 30-25 min.

Perhaps they should have proper starting pens instead of making the quicker people walk/push/force their way through to the front.

I think there may be enough room to put pens at the side of the course and have say an entrance onto it for sub 20 min runners, one for sub 25 min, one for sub 30 min, one for sub 35 min, one for sub 40 min then one for people slower than that.

I know this is a lot more starting areas than before, however with having access from the side of the course possible it should work. After all how many people climbed over the barriers next you? There must have been 15 people at least who I saw do that.
  • Options
    The times I gave were just an example: it's just my feeling that if people have no idea what their time is, they are going to make a guess. And if they see 3 waves they are going to expect them to be for a 3rd each, and think that if they are 'fit' (not really having any idea...) they should be in the first 3rd. 150 people is not a third of that field is it? So if they are splitting into 3 then sub 25 for the first wave makes no sense. It's just asking for loads of people who have no real idea of their fitness, and no possibility of making that time, to join that wave.

I agree propper pens makes sense, but they also need to be advertised in a way that makes sense to people with no idea what their standard is.

I didn't see anyone climb over, but then I joined late: through an actual gap in the fence behind wave two as it was being moved down to the start.
  • Options
    The bleeding woman - an elderly lady had either fallen or been pushed at the 360 tune just before the bandstand, she was being treated on the course as I came round there - I started at front of 35 min + group so this will have been approx 11.30am.
  • Options
    Have to agree the start waves need more definition. Defining walkers as 35 mins is no good, that's walk/jog speed. True "walkers only" should have their own pen behing a 35 - 45 mins grouping?? Those who started at front ot 35 min pen soon caught the walk-joggers/walkers who started in the 25 min pen so there was a bit more crowding from 3km onwards. First time I've not been forced to a walk/stop at the bandstand turn though!, or had enough space to weave past the slow walkers - I walk quick briskly, in fact almost as fast as I can jog!
    There were still folk heading for the finish after 12.30 when I walked back across towards Park Lane. I must have crossed the line just before 12 noon, my stopwatch time was 39:56 - it was almost 20 mins into the event before the 35+ group was set off - elite folk away having a shower by then!!!
  • Options
    Oops, and forgot to mention elderly lady had cut or split chin; spotted her later in front of the first aid tent by the finish line. Hope her chin is a lot less sore today!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Draught Horse,

Whatever the organisers do at the start everyone will always have discussions.

The first year I did it was a free for all. The second year (last year) I started at the front of the sub 35 min group and they started at the same time as the elites. I did have to get to the start about 45 min before it started.

If you want to start where you want you really need to be in position by about 40-45 min before the start.
  • Options
    Would it be an idea to explain the average speed for the entire race when advertising the groups? eg 12kmph for a 25min time. I'm guessing the "average" walking pace to be around 5kph (anyone know for sure? I generally walk at about 6.5-7mph but I'm a fast walker) - this may give a few more people more of an idea of how fast they're likely to be if they've not raced before.
  • Options
    ^that would be 6.5-7kph - I would be dead impressed with myself if I could manage 7mph walking...haha!
  • Options
    awwww that poor woman, my little sister jogged pass the lady and her top was covered with blood. Hope the old lady is ok.....gotten her medal.
  • Options
    it's no good i have to jump on th PB bandwagon! wahooo 29.05 only grumblys are i know i could have been quicker but i got trapped behind walking, txting, bandaged people and i made sure i started in the 35 mins and under as i didnt want to start in the 25 and under cos i thought i might get in the way of faster runners.
    i know where im going to be starting next year.
    apart from grumblys a good day again and lots of free drinkies.
    my backpack weighed 2 stone thanks to them!
    yippeeeee medal double yipeeeee medal signed by paula radcliffe super cool.
    hope everyone else had fun
    see you next year :):):)
    or maybe @ the running 4 women 8km in brighton on the 17th..... anyone going?
  • Options
    it would be nice if we were all able to meet up next year after the race
  • Options
    Good luck for the 8km brighton Kink Bunny, I'll be running 8k in Windsor on the 23rd.
  • Options
    I don't think giving speeds in any form is going to totally solve the problem: I think a lot of the problem is that a lot of the folks there have never done a race before, quite likely haven't trained, and have no idea what their speed will be. Then the times given in no way relate to a third of the field each.

So... we have inexperienced people with no idea of their time, but thinking they'll run all the way putting themselves in the first and second waves, because they assume that each wave represents a third of the field (and of course, many of them don't do as well as they thought...). Meanwhile because the times given in no way relate to the assumptions of the inexperienced, those who do know their time, and follow the rules, end up behind much slower competitors.

I think if there are going to be three timed waves, then their times should relate to the average times of a third of the field each. And they should be advertised in a way that gives more guidance to people who don't know their times. (Like I tried to do in my examples above)

If they are going to have a sub-25 wave then it should be advertised as only for experienced racers who have previously recorded times of that speed.

I also still think that restricting the width of the start could make a major difference... and having a 'slow lane' system rather than picking out walkers for silly and unrealistic restrictions.

• Options
    We still have our niggles about it but it's slowly getting better. As HY4 points out, better than the free-for-all it used to be. Only reason I'd be a bit concerned about refining the start still further is safety - 20,000 is a lot of bodies and if it turns out that the elderly lady was tripped in some way then maybe splittig the start with an extra wave is the way to go.
    It's good though that Hydro-Active is beginner friendly and don't want to lose that.
  • Options
    Glad to hear it's getting better! Hopefully they will continue to work on it! I'm sure having an extra wave for experienced, fast runners only wouldn't spoil the atmosphere: if it was likely to, then having an elite wave would! LOL

Agree safety is an issue. On the whole I found the sport's relief mile in London a lot better in terms of crowding (but then I was starting at the front of a wave, even if half of it sprinted past me...), but there were people there starting at the front of waves with toddlers and it looked pretty dangerous!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone still have the email the organisers sent out about the photos. I know it contained a link to the website where the photos are going to be put up, however, I've deleted that email!
  • Options
    Thanks kit lee and good luck to you for windsor.

HY4 the website for the photos is www.marathonfoto.com
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Kink Bunny.

Thanks!

I knew it was marathon something but could remember the rest.
  • Options
    ouch the photos aren't cheap £10 for a 5x7 what a swizz
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    They never are.

For some of the races I've been able to doctor the photos with something like paint or photoshop.
  • Options
    Hi all!

Well done on all the PBs! I ran with my Mum and she got a PB of 43:26 which she was really chuffed with. I agree it was pretty congested in parts but this is the first year that we've never been forced to a walk (it's usually awful at that hair-pin bend by the bandstand) so I'd agree that it's definitely improving.

Off to look at the photos now!