Options

Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Options
    Em/Siân .. if you're meeting up tell me where and when and I'll come see you too :-)
  • Options
    I'm sure there are race details missing ... please email me if yours is one of the missing ones. Cheers
  • Options
    qwerty with me on the Badminton OTH.

Just waiting for Siân to say the word re a meet.
  • Options
    Ahh! Kids are in bed and all is quiet. Not really looking forward to tomorrows run as it's in the morning but I know when I'm out there I'll be in 7th heaven. I'm just not a mornings person.

Anyone running tonight - good running ... you mad fools.

We've just seen that people are doing a 5K in Swansea on 8th August and we'll be in Wales then so we're sorely tempted! The one we're looking at in September only had 100 runner last year so I'll probably plod in last ... with a big grin on my face!!
  • Options
    Em ... be a love and save me looking back (again) .. was it 10k and what date please?
  • Options
    Emmilou ... sorry, missed being able to send you lots of luck for tonight. Bet you do great anyway. Don't forget to give a post-run report tomorrow ... loking forward to it. I also think I've missed some races for you haven't I?
  • Options
    Emmilou is felltrunning tonight Siân .. gulp!!

I'm supposed to be doing my normal walk/run schedule but at this rate it'll have to wait till 3am before it's cool enough for me. Only biked to Tesco earlier and had to strip naked when I got home I was so hot!!! Poor neighbours .. really should wait till I get inside before I do that in future!
  • Options
    Sorry Em .. sussed it .. you're already on list & I just have to add qwerty! Doh!! Never gonna keep up with this LOL

OK Qwerty on list now. Will show on next posting of list.
  • Options
    LOL Shani! You're a nutter! But it takes one to know one, eh? Mykey's watering the veggies at the moment. The beans (broad and runners)are looking good and the tomatoes are really getting big. Lots of Raspberries coming and the broccoli flowers are beginning to develop. The potatoes look good but can't tell whats growing under the soil! This is all (or mostly anyway)on our patio which is really very small!
  • Options
    Sounds lovely Siân .. I don't grow veg ... attempted it many times but always end up negleting them till there's nothing but a weed patch left!!
  • Options
    On the topic of growing veg (since i haven't been out this evening because my trainers are temporarily misplaced after the holiday, hopefully they're somewhere in other half's car / flat), i'm growing my first ever tomato plant this year.

it seems to be doing really well with lots of flowers and tomatoes coming, however it's got huge and sprawly and doesn't seem at all capable of holding itself up. hence i have attacked it with string and it now looks more like i've been learning macrame on it!

Is it usual to need to do this or is it just a really enthusiastic plant? i guess i could have just left it but i didn't want branches to break or for it to take over my very small patch of garden.

happy running to everyone who's out tonight, it's still boiling hot here though there is getting to be more wind. i think i'm off to sit in a cold bath now.
  • Options
    Cerelia, my Dad is a gardener and from what I remember he used to just stick a bamboo stick (or something similar - as long as it is pretty straight) at the base of the plant and then tie the main stalk to the stick in several places. That should help keep it upright but sounds like you have already done something similar so can't really help in any other way!

It does get quite heavy when the tomatoes are growing but they are designed to hold them so the branches shouldn't break.

Don't know if this helps much but hope so!

Back from my 55 lengths of the pool - feel much better now! and much cooler!
  • Options
    I'm back from Sunderland 5k - did'nt manage to break the 22 minute barrier - came in 22:24, which is really annoying since i know i can do much better. Still was 19th lady i think, and i don't feel too dehydrated. Was very warm out there.

Cerelia - have you taken the suckers off your tomato? - they are the leaves which grow out from between the main stalk of the plant and the trusses - the main leaves. You need to nip them out, and if its more than six or seven trusses high just nip off the new growth at the top. Then just tie it to a bamboo or whatevers to hand.

My veg is going ok, but its being eaten alive by a horde oF snails :(
  • Options
    I think that's pretty normal Cerelia...LOL. It will get heavier when it fruits too, so keep a bit of string handy.
    :-)

You OK OTH?

I'm having a real lazy night tonight, I'm so pleased I forced myself out last night...night off now. Had a funny day at work, and came home for some peace and quiet, having accidentally forgotten to collect my kids from their Aunts!!! (she is always doing that to me with the teething niece, so no guilt whatsoever :-) )

Looks like it's tipping down at your house Shani? Send some this way...
  • Options
    'fraid it's not Emma ... stiflingly hot and humid ... not a single drop of rain yet!! ... just waiting for the downpour so I can frighten the neighbours again by going out semi-naked to dance in the rain !!!
  • Options
    thanks for all the tomato advice, seems this forum is full of veg growers as well as runners!

yep, i have a couple of bamboos in with the tomato that i've been tying it to. the main stem is ok, i tied that at a couple of places. it's the other branches which seem to have got really huge, i've made them little slings of string to hold them up.

vicki - didn't know about taking the suckers off, i'll have to go take a look later and see what i need to do. i don't really know anything about growing veg but a friend gave me the tomato so i thought i'd give it a go.

it's a cherry tomato i think and looks like it's going to produce loads of fruit, how much would you expect to get from just one plant?
  • Options
    We've had rain!!!!!

A little shower which lasted about a minute - wasn't enough!!!! Come on give us some more ..... but not too much!

Great run Vicki - well done you!

Our tomato is a bush forming variety so no need to pinch out suckers but we still have to tie it up. We have loads of flowers and quite a bit of fruit already but only quite small onces so far. Apparently really deep flavoured ones perfect for making pasta sauces! This is our first year for growing veg and we're really enjoying the achievement of it all.
  • Options
    Left it as late as I could to go out tonight, but made myself do it! Dripping wet but I managed to keep going for a 5k loop - glad I did it now I'm back :-)!

Well done to those of you who ran in the Sunderland 5k - don't envy you a race in this heat! Still at least I have a good excuse for killing all my flowers this year.

pp
  • Options
    Hey well done Vicki in this heat!

I put off my run/walk session tonight - think will get up really early tomorrow...I'm not an overly morning person - but if I to get any study done, I will have to be working early too, just gets too hot in afternoon to concentrate!
  • Options
    Hello everyone and a special hello to everyone that joined in today.

Mrs H took a rest day today but has slaved away in the house so perhaps not rested so much in this heat.

As I planned I ran today at 5pm - 35'C when I started out , I had been drinking solidly since 1:30pm , a cup every 15 mins. I ate some salt too to make sure - splothering myself all over in factor 15 sun block I set out. I took the exact same route as Sunday took 1:30 sunday but 1:37 today - beyond hot , broiling would be a word, every now and then I'd hit a really hot bit where the very ground was glowing.But I managed to keep going and it was very worthwhile, a great workout indeed, now I ache all over and I'm sloshing about from all the water.

Obviously being a masochist helps but I did need to test myself in the heat as it'll be hot on Sunday for my 10 miler
  • Options
    Em/OTH-We have the start of a plan. Sunday 30th Jul we'll be travelling back to Fareham from Wales after my Dad-in-Law's party. Fancy meeting up late afternoon/early evening? Not sure where or even what would be open in that part Wales/England at that time of day but if push comes to shove it could always be Magor Services for a coffee!
  • Options
    Mike-Well done! I must admit I haven't anywhere near the dedication to running you have displayed tonight. Not sure I ever will. Still you are now prepared for a good run on Sunday and I wish you all the luck in the world.
    Siân is feeling very tired after some 'x-training' tonight so is putting of her run until tomorrow evening. I'm waiting until Friday...might have cooled by then.
  • Options
    Hi folks

Just back from an evening meal at a pub by the canal, with Jilly (Mrs BD) and our youngest lad Luke.
    (Luke is 23, and in a wheelchair - we all have our stories)
    I had Today off work, cos - why not!

snowgoon

My graphic was a hasty affair, to get folks thinking. Gets rid of the old scary white sheet of paper problem, if you have a design to start with.
    The logic behind it was:
    INSPIRE as a logo rising to a point to reflect the spire in inspire, and the sense of striving for achievement that this group has. (done in word art)
    The character below the logo is a cartoon jogging beetroot. (created in paint) It is a bit 2D, but I was in a hurry.
    The "online plodders" (also word art) is kind of smiley, and supports the jogging beet.
  • Options
    Woohoo - just came back from run - 36mins without stopping - I feel elated - if not a little sweaty - most I've run so far! Off for a shower now. Just a note to say thanks fattyonadiet for the tips on measuring my run on that freebie site - should get a chance to look at it tomoz BYE!!
  • Options
    stu you have incoming mail.

2 items - ignore the first, the second has the word file (I hope)
  • Options
    Vicki - great run ... and that is a splendid time in this heat so don't worry about the 24secs!!!
    Well done for getting out there PP, Mike and Beaker. True dedication and determination in this heat folks!!!! I'm still waiting for it to cool a bit more. Just started raining so off very soon.

Mykey ... I'll email you about the visit.
  • Options
    Night all!

See you tomorrow! I'll keep checking in just to keep up!
  • Options
    Well, I am sitting here absolutely dripping in sweat .. yuk!!! I've done 30mins plus warm-up on the treadie but really, really struggled with my runs.

My calves just wouldn't stop gong into cramp even though I stopped twice and stretched. Each time I could only manage 1 minute before slowing to a walk for fear of getting that calf injury I had a few weeks back again.

After 2 attempts at running I resorted to walking for 12mins but kept the pace at 5.5 - 6kmph to try and push my legs. I then did 2 more 1 minute runs, and walked at 5.5kmph till I stopped at the 30min mark.

I think I may have to go back to square one and start from the beginning again! My own fault ... I am not resting enough, not eating the right foods at present, and not x-training on rest days!!!! My excuse is too much work and the heat kills me (I sweat in the cold just doing normal activities, let alone in the heat doing exercise!).

Oh well, let's see what tomorrow brings :-)
  • Options
    Best Pages to Check if you’re new to this thread

A ‘must’ for all newbies to the thread – lots of inspiration – Pages 1 and 2
    Corinthian – another inspiring story – Page 4
    More INSPIRing stories – Pages 9 & 10 and more .. Pages 12 & 13
    (in fact, if you have time trawl the whole first 14 pages!!! Check out any long post!)
    Want to lose weight – great inspiring story from Vicky – Page 15 and Vicky’s story

Take a look at our old thread for more inspiration …. Old Thread

Photos:
    DingusOTHEmandbelleMykeyPlodfatherUK YankeeDaniel’s PhotosLE’s PhotosAllien’s Photos

It is never too late to join our club … everyone is very welcome .. so come on in and chat :-)
  • Options
    Hello all

Just checking in - finding it difficult to keep up...

Hope all is well.

I had a closer look at the Cabbage Canter and by pure chance I think I know the course record holder. I certainly know someone with the same name. I'll ask him...

S'later...