Options

Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Options
    That's collies for you Vicki, my collie crosses have just raided the bin and are sleeping it off in a sea of yoghourt pots and cheese wrappers! I'll have to pick it all up before making some lunch :-(

The T Shirt chaps, please remember that I am very small when we get to ordering these things. I don't want to have it flapping around my knees! Or maybe I will just have to wear the hat, not that they stay on me!

Off to eat, Gawd I am starving!
  • Options
    Stu-They also have DEHYDE Function shirt which is described as a 'function shirt from DEHYDE conducts moisture to the surface where it quickly evaporates.
    Your T-shirt remains comfortably dry inside insuring an optimum, peformance inhancing body temperature. Comfortable, easy cleaning, durable - this fabric is an all-rounder and equally suited to leisure activities. With a mix of 70% cotton and 30% Polyester, this fabric weighs just 190 g/qm.'
    Its right at the bottom of the product page and is in 3 colours.
    Misty-not sure of the sizes...
  • Options
    Bad luck Dan and Kwilter. I really hope you're back to swimming/running soon.

Dan - have you been alright with the running - Is your balance Ok? My balance is sometimes off but mostly when I'm tired. I know you were really looking forward to the aquathon, but there will be others. And at least you have a new challenge to focus on.

OTH, I think you should include the best bits (until that gets too long as well). The race list should perhaps be cut to show a rolling two months or is it easier to have a set number and add one to the bottom when one gets ticked off at the top? Whatever you decide, I'm happy. I appreciate the work you put in to keep it up to date and remember to bring it forward. Three cheers!

Vicky - Do you fancy the 10 mile Jelly Tea run as part of your GNR training (Hexham to Ovingham)? I won't be able to keep up with you but I'm going to try to run all the way.
  • Options
    Allien - cant do the Jelly Tea - I'm diving that weekend (i think), I've got three races lined up before the GNR - Sunderland 5k tonight, Jarrow & Hebburn riverside challenge on August 15th, and the Nissan 10k on August 27th. I wish you well in it though, and if you're doing any of the other three gimme a shout.

Mistym. - ah then it's a genetic collie thing, I'd just put it down to murph being a gannet. Em - does belle eat for england too? (or whichever country she would represent ;) )
  • Options
    VickyT I am doing one of those but haven't decided which yet. I'll let you know on here.

For the Jelly Tea I'm following the Hal Higdon 15k program that Mykey recommended. I started at week 5 but I'm going back a little since I have a bit of time. Wish I could try and do the distance beforehand though; it might give me a bit of confidence.
  • Options
    Aftewrnoon all,

Dan + Kwilter - sorry about your bad news, don't get down though, you'll be back running and crosstraining soon, stay positive !

Mykey - the name idea is good for the shirts, i put my name on for last years GNR and marathon this year. The motivation you get from the crowds is fantastic and the South Shields folks were great offering water, cold showers + biccies !!
    I have my charity shirt , but a cap would be fine ! great design Big Dave !

Vicky T Good luck with the GNR training girl !!

Looking forward to a few beers in Newcastle after the run ,EM, Allie + Vicky T.
    EM - fog, fine and cool. Lifting now, getting warmer !!
  • Options
    Belle is not a gannet no...she is a miss goody two shoes butter wouldn't melt dog. Sickening really. The other two make up for it though.
    Even in training, Belle would work better for the ball than an edible treat.
  • Options
    Fine to see you MM !!
  • Options
    dammit...too late then Fred...I'll cancel those flights...
  • Options
    Few beers after the GNR sounds good to me. Of course, I'll have to go to the bar while the runners put their weary feet up!

Em, regards our run on the Saturday before. I'll come up with a route for us - how far do you think? Would you prefer country, park, city or coast?
  • Options
    thanks for the comments all, its really got me down, but reading this has given me more determination to do the next one, and i can aim for a faster time!.
    Kwilter i think its at the central park pool, not 100% tho.
    allie thanks, my balance is fine and wont affect my running.
    what happened is that the skin graft is scabbing up and not healing correctly, so they had to pick it off and apply antibiotic cream to help it heal, hense the need to keep in dry. Nevermind, at least i dont need to do anymore speedwork for a few weeks, it killed me this morn!!
  • Options
    Just had a look at the met office site and there's a trough coming up from the south west. Dan, Kwilter and Misty lets us now when (if??) it starts raining down there. Hopefully you won't get it all...
    Dan-you could continue with the speed work but at a lower tempo increasing it as you get closer to the race. My advice remains to build slowly and introduce a little bit of speedwork slowly. I blame my knee injury on pushing myself sooner than my body was really ready for it but I had my fitness test to aim for and wanted not just to pass but put in a good time. It was the last time I ran properly...
  • Options
    OMG I'm at the end at last!!! I did have to ski, read some so I may have missed some stuff but WOW!! Hello to all the new comers and you seems to feel welcome already and how wonderful to have such a wealth of new friends just by turning your back for a couple of days!!

I'm worrying now that by the time I post this there'll be a new page of stuff.

We did run yesterday and Mykey ran / walked but his run was quick enough to catch up and he said following my bum was motivation to run when he needed to walk!! Not sure if it was encouraging or that he couldn't stand to look at it and wanted to get past!! LOL!!

Well back to the grindstone as we have MORE friends coming to stay this weekend so guess what??? IT'S CLEANING TIME AGAIN!!!!

Must get on - but will check back every tea (or glass of water) break.
  • Options
    hi all!! phew it's just too hot! just stuffed my face with a mint magnum but was much needed after an emotional morning!! My son is leaving his class to move 'up' in september but as he is in a special needs school he has been with his teacher and in class one for over 4 years...I went in to school today with cards and pressies and lots of tissues!!

Got my first fell run tonight still very excited and have been building up to it all week - just hope I don't collapse after the first 5 minutes! Looking forward to jouning a running club and meeting all the established members but as am painfully shy I have butterflies thinking about it!!

Hope everyone is bearing up ok in this heat
    Ems
  • Options
    thanks mykey i think i might carry on with it slowly. also mykey im in the very south west actually around 7miles from lands end and its raining and dark here, its coming your way!
  • Options
    ooo rain coming hurray!!
  • Options
    You're next kwilter, then misty.
    I feel cooler just thinking about it...
  • Options
    The rain's not hit Plymouth yet! It's getting quite cloudy though, and when i hang out of the lounge window to look towards Cornwall it's definitely grey.

I've just phoned my nearest gym to ask about cycling machines and the cheapest membership they have is £57 for 4 weeks...bit more than I was hoping for with 12 days till payday. The local bike shop has ladies bikes for £150 down from £180 which he says are mixed terrain ones. They even said they'd come down to the park with me to start me off as long as it's not too busy. Did I mention I never had a bike as a kid so can't ride? Looks like that's going to be my best option in the long run.

Dan if your aquathon is Central Park, I'll deffo be there!!
  • Options
    Hi all

Rain rain don't go away come up north and we we'll come out to play.

Dingus - sorry but you can keep the fog.
  • Options
    what about spin classes kwilter, you could try the ymca gym down by plymouth uni?

the rain is coming, i can tell you its so humid tho its still around 22 degrees.

ill try to find out kwilter and let you know
  • Options
    Blimey, my in-box just exploded!

Now I've caught up with the thread, good to see lots more amazing stories - Vicky, yours is absolutely fabulous. All this inspiration helped on the morning plod when I was thinking about breaking into a walk, (could've done with a sit-down & cold drink really) and instead managed to shave a whole 3 seconds off my circuit time! Ooh, super-speedy today!!!

Misty - you keep many sheep? Am unreconstructed townie living in north somerset village and still can't do the school run without shrieking to the kids "look, there's sheep/cows/a tractor in that field" presumably the novelty will one day wear off but seeing the lambs in the fields whilst running in spring was great (I still ate one for easter though - not that sentimental)

Let us know when the rain comes....
  • Options
    Kwilter-you could look for a second hand bike which would be a bit cheaper. I don't envy you having to cycle around plymouth (or run for that matter!) too many hills for my liking. Mike H also gave some good advice to Cerelia (I thnk) about buying abike on the old thread.
  • Options
    oooh good one dan, I forgot about the ymca. They do spin classes too don't they?

I joined there 8 years ago last time I decided I needed to get fit, went 3 times a week and worked really hard. i could tell i was getting fitter cos I could do more work but wasn't losing weight...eventually I realised I was 5 months pregnant
  • Options
    still very hot here...I hope if cools down for my next run (planned for tomorrow evening).

kwilter38 - I think tescos have a basic bike for about £60. But I suppose you get what you pay for.

Nice to have you back Sian.

Emmilou - good luck tonight - let us know how you get on. I'm sure you'll be fine at the running club... all the runners I know are very friendly. (Still unsure about joining one myself I hasten to add).
  • Options
    Cloudy but bright here Mykey, just about to go and hang some washing out so that should bring the rain on! What am I doing travelling off to the hotter climate of Hampshire tonight?

Dingus Fine to see you too:-)

Sian Okay we have only known Mykey a few weeks but I reckon he was trying to catch you! I am going to have another catching up job to do with this list on Saturday, kind of dreading it!

Emmilou It is a big thing for your son to be doing and for you too. I found it quite emotional my son leaving primary school, although he is fine now at the end of Year 7. Good luck with meeting the running folk at the club, I am sure you will be okay!
  • Options
    5 day forecast throughout the country is looking good for those who don't like the heat. Temperatures should drop quite a bit tomorrow and then raise a couple of degrees on Friday and then back down again on Saturday and Sunday.

Hope this helps when planning runs. If you would like to check you home town, look at the BBC weather pages. You can enter your postcode and it will give you the 5 day forecast.

weather
  • Options
    qwerty Well done on your run!

Actually I only have two sheep (don't laugh everyone!) our third died earlier this year. They are rather endearing lawnmowers for our field and definitely pets. The children would never have forgiven us for eating them!

I am very pleased to see another South West person, we were a bit thin on the ground. I make that now Dan, kwilter, qwerty, me and OTH.

Must off and do that rain dance with the clothes pegs now!
  • Options
    Right. Come on. Get with it. Post. They won't bite....

Hello all. Beginner here. Overweight, unfit but have joined up with JogScotland and survived the class last week (30 secs walk, 30secs jog x10) and back at it tonight (yes, in this heat!).

Been walking as much as I can, and have dropped a stone to 17st 4lbs (I'm 6' tall). Yet to get the proper shoes (I WILL!!) but determined to keep going, which was part of the reason for forking out my hard earned cash to join up with JogScotland. I'm pretty tight-fisted and hate to think of that money being wasted. So I'm in it for the next 9 weeks and then see how things are.

Ummm... yeah. That's about it.

I've read through most of this thread, and other posts in the forum, found some handy websites, good tips for gear and haven't been TOO baffled by the acronyms (is there a list anywhere, FLM took me ages to figure out!).

Hoping to trim down, and get fit with a 5K/10K sometime before the end of the year?? Maybe 2007...
  • Options
    Thanks, Mykey.

What about this...

http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?sid=159712

Not sure if I got everything centred, so please have a close look and let me know. Can put together a few more combinations of the graphics. David, could you email me the word file with the original artwork on.

If anyone else has any designs, please email me them, or post a link. We can only use artwork to which one of us has the copyright (thats the problem with the original beetroot, Em - unless you drew it, in which case let me know).

They also do a range of other clothing and accessories.
  • Options
    Just hung mine out so rain now guaranteed!