Options

Ironman - Germany - Pirate Race Reports - 23rd July 2006

Comments

• Options
    Dave might do a report if I make him, but he notably had a crash on the bike ( he can never criticise my bike handling skills again). But was up and off fast with a few scratches- on him and the bike.
    He also punctured and used the gas for the first time, after Ava and I "modernised" him on the now traditional Pirate Reccying of a Bike Route that Bears no Resemblance to the Actual IM Course.
    His run was better than mine so that meant stony silence and sulking for several hours, and he finished in 11:08 bang on.
    He has counted 17 injuries to his body, and is a bit of a scabby mess.
  • Options
    how many of the injuries were from the event, and how many from the beating for being faster on the run?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Aww thanks Jo! I see that Terasa yank didn't finish. Not enough shagging obviously.
  • Options
    really, I heard M. did 12 hours!! Would it be the start of a vicious rumour that he must be well shagged if not his wife? They were telling Zups the S and S have split up? Dunno if that's true. She didn't say anything in her last letter
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Did you still have your HR monitor on, Jo? Did you tackle it at a steady pace, keeping below 60%, or was it more of a speed session, getting up to 85%?
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Jo - I wonder if 12 hours is a good time for M though? I didn't see S or S at all.

Mr W - I did the bike at about 60% HR, but I'm a weak old wifie with rubbish leg strength. I am going to spend the next year doing one legged squats.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    [quiet sniffle from the back]

x
  • Options
    Mr W. I did propose the HR experiment once just to see. Either he didn't fancy the idea of being a sexual lab rat or he's been faking it but he politely declined.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    by the way - the Pirate race results on our own page will have a few inaccuracies ironed out over the next few hours.

:o)
  • Options
    Debbo, M was a worse swimmer than me in Lanza. Don't think he was much of a runner either. Big S wasn't competiting but he was out supporting and ran a bit of the marathon with Zuppy and Lindi. Silke only did the swim. I know she had a severe virus after Lanzarote so don't know if that contributed.
  • Options
    JJ, yeah, I think my marathon was 4:18 not 4:10 but if you're busy, no need to fix it just yet :-)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Daniel was using Cath's brilliantly devised table from Sunday, but as Ironmanlive was giving her the wrong info it just needs a bit of tweaking.

smiley lady, RichM benefited too - 3:32 rather than the 3:16 we're boasting for him!

:o)
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    My run time was 5.55. One set of results has it as over 8 hours, and the RW one says six-something.

Mr W - doh - I didn't for a minute think you would be so smutty, but of course Jo's HR would be low - all she has to do is lie there and think of Ireland.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    lol

on further investigation it appears that the original times were erroneous in the T2 department, which has made you all faster in the marathon. Unless Daniel and Imp really DID spend more than 50 minutes having a bath and hairdo before meeting their public on the run...
  • Options
    Perhaps now is not the time to say you really shouldnt wear guazed inner run shorts on the mara , I ended up with some unpleasant chafing and more annoyingly I wasnt the person most upset by it!
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    ah - I see at least 3 out of 600 pictures worked!!
  • Options
    Girlies - sorry, a quick question. Can anybody recommend a comfy girlies saddle, are the ones with cut-out bits better and do they stop your mary from going numb?
  • Options
    I've an iron butt that never seems to get sore on the saddle but I know earlier some people were saying they found gel saddles comfy.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    squishy - Petal has tried many saddles and has found the Specialized Toupe (yep - a stupid name for a saddle) to be the best for stopping female numbness...........is very minimal and has a cut out...........may not suit all ladies as it is so minimal
  • Options
    I am not a lady, but Lindi seemed very interested in trying my saddle;

However it's very pricey
  • Options
    i thought they'd changed the name to 'merkin'
  • Options
    I have a Terry Ti saddle and love it. It is designed for chaps but was recommended to me by a woman and I love it. It has a cut out and gel bits. My previous saddle seemed like actually to cut me in half, so it was a good change!

Great race reports from everyone.
  • Options
    Mel, I have your tee. COuld you send me a postal address and I'll forward it too you.
  • Options
    Won't it be cold by now?
  • Options
    My my gumps you are in good fooling today!
  • Options
    I will write a proper race report later when I’m not so busy but the most important thing for me now is to thank EVERYBODY.

From the people of Germany for standing out welcoming us to their village as we buzzed through in the pouring rain, to the experienced Pirates with their own brand of tough love alternatively cajoling and bollocking us, to the supporters who came to Frankfurt and helped make the long weekend so special in what to be honest is pretty carp city to be a tourist in and seeming to magically know when we wanted company and laughter and when we needed to be left alone with our thoughts and emotions (or sleep), to the other novices for sometimes asking the daftest questions that I was too embarrassed to ask or sometimes too stupid to even realise was an issue before they spoke up and to all those people who cheered, or waved, said my name or just smiled as I trudged past.

Without any of you I couldn’t have had “my day”. I know I had too much emotionally wrapped up in it – witness the amount of times I burst into tears in the run up to race day. In fact on the first lap of the bike I started to well-up again and I had to tell myself “not until the run”. Then on the run I kept starting and I had to say “not until the last lap”. Then the mantra changed to “not until the funnel”. That was the reasons I kept my glasses on until the very end as I couldn’t trust myself if I made “proper” eye contact with anybody.

I can’t begin to imagine how frustrated the Pirates who got pulled out at the end of the first bike lap feel. The philosophical approach you have taken to the disappointment, the way you have channelled your frustrations and the spirit in which you came and supported those of us who were “lucky enough” to still be on the course is an incredible testament to your strength of character and will-power. I’m not sure I could have been so magnanimous in the face of what feels like such disproportional adversity.

I don’t know if I will “retire” after one IM. I had a great day. I can see how I might go an hour faster next year with more training and fewer injuries. I can also see how I could easily be an hour slower. I don’t feel that I have anything to prove to anybody. But I do know if I’m not doing it myself, that I’ll be proud to be with you in Austria as a Sherpa.
  • Options
    Just one question: did anybody spot a one armed woman getting out of the lake? There was a woman swimming next to me for quite some time who always seemed to be on her left side and facing me, looking like she was side-stroking/sculling.