Options

IM 2007 training thread

Comments

• Options
    I don't mind answering questions on here but as last year I will reduce my input slightly as we now have more 'vets' now who have just completed the 'novice' year and will have some good down to earth basic advice and will also have picked up some very good technical advice to get them thru. If I see what I consider to be blatent bad advice I will chip in with alternatives. The other issue is there is not always a good and bad way, its the way that suits you and thats what you adn teh mentor have to achieve together.

I have told anyone I mentored/helped last year that I will help them again first and foremost but I have no issue with emails occasionally.

What I also don't mind is people using messenger to speak to me but please be aware I work all day at a computer and work comes first so if I don't respond I am busy, more likely to get a lengthy reply out of me after 6pm and at weekends but you can try your luck if its a quick question during the day.

nickrose33@hotmail.com

As for 2nd year, yes base is important and 3 months of it at the end of this season before the cold won't do you any harm, I don't need to tell you the intensitoes, just go and ride.
  • Options
    Pebble 2Pebble 2 ✭✭✭
    Taffy, email me any time. Are you doing Tuska or Cymmer, if so we could have a natter.
  • Options
    my mentor was rubbish ;-) and i'm equally crap, so basically, don't be like me, and you'll be fine...
  • Options
    Gumps will you be my mentor? I would have preferred TC, the original and best, but you'll do :o)

I think my sand storage plans need some tweaking by a qualified expert you see ;o)
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    OK guys, what do I need to do to sort my running out while maintaining swimming and still improving cycling?

Would like to hit 42min 10k and a 1.44 half by early next year.

Current pbs are 10k 50mins on local flat course and for a half its 2hours at the Vit.

Planning on 4-5 bikes a week and 5 runs with swimbling whenever.
  • Options
    Avalaf ..... your runings pobably fine ... I did PB 10km and half marra couple weeks before the IMDE (41:18 and 1:29 respectfully) my IMDE marathon was 4:44 instead of a usual 3:30 it was bloody hot out there not to mention no wet suits swim and a mixed weather cycle.
  • Options
    NOVICES LOOKING FOR A MENTOR
    Tri taffia, but can I shout for pebble?
    XFR Bear
    Lawrence
    Symes
    jrs
    (add name here if you're looking for a mentor)

i removed ian off the list after putting my money where my big fat mouth was and offered to "help" him out. however given that i can't even seem to find the right city on a friday night, my advice might not be the sagest
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    "old lady fat ankle hanging over the slippers thing, which will no doubt be very soon"

[hops on li'l plane to Scottishland and slaps Debbo]
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
  • Options
    XFR Bear
    Lawrence
    Symes
    jrs
    C1 POL (Chris)

Any and all advice glady received...have gone from a 30 a day smoking drinking lard bucket to a zero a day moderately drinking, slightly smaller but still a tad lardy.

I have a sense of humour, would like to see world peace and I love all animals - especially cows (steaks are my favourite)....

• Options
    Oops, and location - Southampton (will most likely team up with the Soton Tri club in due course but happy for e-training tips....ps what's a Tri "ponce"?
  • Options
    a mentor? see, that must be where I went wrong
  • Options
    Training? Geez I haven't even recovered from the piss-up last night! Good to see all the Pirates last night and I'm hope everyone is ok today. I'm not sure if I need amentor but I'll add my name to the list. Perhaps a vet that knows my story from Germany would be willing to help out a DNF'd Yank.

XFR Bear
    Lawrence
    Symes
    jrs
    C1 POL (Chris)
    Keg Killer
  • Options
    Avalaf - "Would like to hit 42min 10k and a 1.44 half by early next year." - those goals don't sound that well balanced to me - my 10km PB is 42:39 and my half is 1:35:02 (but then maybe I'm odd). To get my half time down I had to train longer - marathon length training...
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    I'm a running noob, was just thinking 7 min miles for 10k and 8's for a half and planning 9's for a mara. I'd be happy with quicker though:)
  • Options
    Allegdedly one rule is to add 15 seconds per mile each time you double the distance... or try a race predictor on something like RW or runningforfitness.org (I like this last one - it has 5 predictors alongside each other)
  • Options
    Hi all - I really would like some advice please.
    I'm seriously interested in Ironman events but am a complete novice. Current run times are Marathon 4:45,(first time this year) Half Marathon 1:57 (march) and 10K 51 mins. Am working to improve my times! Have only been running for 2 years but I really love it.

I cycle regularly and enjoy cycling but like a lot of folks, swimming is my weakest discipline - mainly cos I don't do any swimming!. I went for a swim for the first time in a year this week and managed 28 lengths and didn't feel too bad. I have a small frame (female, 5'3", 7stone 8 and 45 years old with very little muscle up top so I'm working on that!

I'm in very good health with bags of energy (fitter than the majority of students I teach!) and I love a challenge.
    Do you think ironman is for me? If so where do I start? Have you all entered for an event?
  • Options
    There's several ironman events that people on here are targetting, the main two seem to be Austria and Florida. There's separate threads for eeach.

Austria was filling up fast and may be full by now - but there's a link to the website.
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    If you look at some of the threads titled pirate outing #1-4, those are the main events that we are entering, some are doing two but I think most are probably doing one.

Ironman takes a lot of time comitment and understanding from partners, kids, etc. If you think you can commit the time then you can do it. Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    http://www.meerfeld.info/
    Had a nice open water swim here today.
    Luckily the volcano underneath did not errupt again which would have made things a little turbulent
  • Options
    wow Foggy, that looks a bit impressive

How do you get there? Parachute drop??!!
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    Nothing so daring, I went in my car.
  • Options
    shattered my illusions!
  • Options
    everyone must be out training then?
  • Options
    recovering from last night more like!
  • Options
    ignore ergo. her mentor was the dog's doodahs. had she only but listened she might have done ok.

actually having two live mentees might be quite good fun. could chalk out a course in the street and race them.
  • Options
    Anyone else not done a thing since IMDE?

I walked to the chinese take-away yesterday but that is about it.
  • Options
    be careful. you absolutely need a good balanced diet kryte.

walk to the curry house tonight, and the pizza place tomorrow.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    pizza????

[reconsiders Ironman possibilities]
  • Options
    lol

I found it was quite hard to finish my second plate of chinese, without having been for bike ride first to build up an appetite. But I persevered.