Options

Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Options
    You suffer with PFP? Haveyou thought any more about getting your biomechanics assessed by a podiatrist?
  • Options
    I didn't think I did until she gave me the list of exercises. I told her I was getting this clicking when I bent my leg and she said it was my knee cap but when I told her the clicking I am getting is at the back of my knee on this ligament(?) she felt it but she said that I should do the exercises. I may just do that though. I'm sort of convinced after 'speaking' to you this afternoon that I damaged the ITB during the GNR and and whilst recovering I have over stretched my hamstring.
  • Options
    I'd only been running for a couple of months when I haveloped ITBS in both legs. I also had PFP in my right knee, piriformis syndrome on my left side and problems with my lower back.

I did switch to a more stable shoe but it still didn't offer me the control I needed so a podiatrist made me some custom orthoses and since I haven'thad problems with my knees.

I'm going to try some mizuno nirvanas, which provide more structure than my current shoe and have more cushioning in the fore foot area. I plan to alternate them with my current shoe/orthotic combination and see how they compare.
  • Options
    DO I HAVE ITBS?

Morning guys, I have a pain in my knee - as you reach down with your right hand it is the top right hand corner of the knee cap, nearest the upper body. I can touch where the pain is and hurts when I have been sat in the same position for a while and then I move. General walking ok but stairs, driving and getting in and out of the car are interesting.

I am strapped for cash until next week when I can go and get checked out but thought if I can try and work out what it might be I can act accordingly. Do I see a physio or an osteopath?

Not run since Sunday. Did an 18 miler - though this isnt unusual I rested Mon and then last night didnt go training and had a session in the pool instead. Still sore today. I have been wearing my very high heeled boots a lot more than usual the last week or so and though that sometimes gives me some knee pain its never been like this. Are they linked?

So frustrated as have been training great, lots of rest, lots of stretching, eating and sleeping well etc. ...

Any advice guys? If this is ITBS - can I still train? Am planning on using the time to do some upper body weights and shed loads of abs tonight and then a quick swim.
  • Options
    Have you actually had any pains whilst running. Usually ITBS comes on after a certain time in a run and you either get pains on the outer side of your knee as the band rubs over the bony part and you can also get a pain in the hips as well. Does it hurt going up stairs? Is your knee clicking or locking?

The symptoms you decribe could also be from your knee cap malltracking in the fermoral grove - called paetello femoral pain (PFP). How old are your shoes? Try resting, icing, taking ibuprofen, straight leg raises (quads might be weak), stretch all the muscles around your knees (quads, hammies, IT stretch, calves). Make sure you hold your stretches for 30 seconds.
  • Options
    Morning Jelly Bebe - Id probably say yes you you have ITBS. Stairs, Pushing the clutch whilst driving and getting in and out of the bed are all trigger points for me!

Id say no running until you can afford to get it checked out by a decent sports physio who is used to dealing with runners and cyclists etc. ITBS is usually a pain that you cannot run through so i would recommend icing it for 20minutes at a time on a regular basis.

Heres a good article on ITBS, you should be able to detect whether or not it is ITBS once you've read through this: http://www.lwcoaching.com/library/runnersguideitbs.htm

James.
  • Options
    PFP is also a good shout SteadyE.

I had a lot of pain in the acute stages of my ITBS in the top right of the outside of my knee (if that makes sense!!) and at the top of my femor.
  • Options
    Steady - I'd highly recommend Saucony Hurricanes. I tried the Nirvana's and they weren't a patch on the Hurricanes.

If you are looking for a comfortable shoe with a load of stability, Hurricane could be for you.

Jelly - see a physio. Or just have a week off training? Sometimes works wonders for mind and body.
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to add that I wear orthotics in my Hurricanes.
  • Options
    Hurricanes are on my list to try but I know someone that bought a pair of nirvanas but decided they didn't suit her so I'm having them off her and I'm going to alternate them with my current shoes.
  • Options
    Now here's a thought....I've been running for 2 years and this year I gradually built it up to a half marathon, I didn't really do any other form of exercise and only had shin splints because of wearing the wrong shoes which dissappeared immediately and a bad back through lifting my husbands motor bike!! but no injuries through running and I didn't ever do any other strengthening exercises but I always stretched for 20 minutes or so after a run (although didn't at GNR - Stupidly), I think 'this' injury was caused by the last downhill section at the GNR as my knee's were really painful on that section but then were fine for the rest of the race..I have been to the physio and she said to do these exercises but nothing is getting any better - Worse if anything.... Would it be better for me just to have complete rest from stretching/exercising for a couple of weeks and let the injury heal and then start running from a small distance and work my way up again? .. Do I sound desperate or pesamistic??
  • Options
    Stretching is an integral part of the recovery process and I think Siance answered this one in one of your other threads. During the acute phase of ITBS it will be painful all of the time because your IT band is inflammed.

No you don't sound pesamistic or desperate - you just sound like any other injured runner so welcome to the club. It does get better eventually.
  • Options
    Thanks steady edwina :O)
  • Options
    I did 4.48 miles in 42 mins - my fatest time yet. Over the summer when my ITB was really painful I thought I'd never run again.

I'm off for a shower and a good old stretch.
  • Options
    Edwina - did you do strengthening exercises AND stretching during the injury or just stretching?
  • Options
    I did some straight legs raises for the knee malltracking (and still do today). I didn't do any strengthening exercises for the ITB but did stretch religiously (4 or 5 times a day). I still stretch now but maybe only 2 or 3 times a day. I've recently been doing some clamshells to help strengthen my glutes, which I think has really worked. I also do a yoga and a pilates class a week as well.

Anything to keep me going.
  • Options
    Well done on the run Edwina!, went for a sports/remedial massage and had a chat with the physio whilst i was there and things are starting to look up. Ive got an appointment with her in the studio wheres shes going to sort me out a good rehab programme and sore core stability work and hopefully re-training the way i run to control my pelvis better.

Im going to start some walk runs shortly.
  • Options
    When i was having the massage the guy doing it noted how tight all of my muscles were on the right side of my body from my lower back, all of my glutes, all of my quads, hams and quads - my point is my ITB trouble is on my left side.

Link?

I thought maybe that beacause my right side is so tight that my left side is over compensating for it, thus getting injured?

not sure if that possible?
  • Options
    Yes, that is probably the cause and easing them all off will help.

Good news on the strengthening, that will be great for you in the long run. Make sure she gets you on a fit ball!
  • Options
    I was going to suggest that maybe your right side was tighter because it was overcompensating for your left. I've had a similar experience.

Good news Bennett
  • Options
    Hi Bennett, that is a very interesting point regarding the way other tight muscles affect your ITBS. It makes sense. I have very tight muscles on my right side all the way up to the shoulder - which is the side I have ITBS. Thankfully I am back running though the ITBS starts to come back if I run down steep hills or on a camber too much. New shoes helped a lot too. Glad to hear you are getting better - you too Steady Edwina.
  • Options
    Run free - have you got problems with your back?
  • Options
    Yes I have Steady Edwina. Before ITBS reared its ugly head I had a period of lower back pain for about 6 weeks when I could hardly move my back without discomfort. Strangely I could run with it but I could only sit for short periods of time and found it very painful getting in and out of the chair, car, bed.
    I have the flexibility to touch my toes easily but mid to upper back knotted and very 'tight'. I'm sure all these problems are related.
  • Options
    It can pull you out of alignment. It just sounded a familiar story. I panicked this week and brought forward my appointment with my chiropractor as my left leg was having trouble keeping up and locking out (particularly going up hills). My knee and pelvis are fine _ I think its something postural (maybe even linked to my piriformis as left hip was tight) as if I concentrate on posture going up the hills I can control it and it was much better after yesterdays run.
  • Options
    Hi guys, had a light walk run session yesterday and now im a little sre this morning, nothing too bad but i can feel it.

A little disappointment and down heartened. I know its a slow process, but cant help feeling a little cheesed off just when i think im getting there...

• Options
    was feeling a little better so thought I would try a little run (1 mile) less than 20 paces and pain down the back of my leg so I made a doctors appointment and he said I have tendonitis and to rest completely and go back in 1 month if it hasn't calmed down but not to run until maybe Christmas!! - boo hoo
  • Options
    Steady Edwina, has the left leg locking out only just started? I get that on my left leg and ITBS on the right, a lot of my runs are off-road. Is it a case of one side trying to compensate for the other. I wonder if anyone knows a way of putting the body into 'balance'. Grumblethegoat, if that really is tendonitis then definately don't try to run through it - I know from experience. Happened to me about 4 years ago, never thought it would get better but made a full recovery from it eventually.
  • Options
    The leg locking thing comes and goes and its on my left side, which is where I've suffered most with muscle tightness. I find if I engage my core muscles and shorten my stride then it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Run free - thanks for that - to be honest with you I have just been reading up on tendonitis and I'm not convinced.... it says that it is painful to touch but mine isn't and at the moment it only hurts when I run, I went out this morning it felt fine until I actually started to run.
  • Options
    Grumblethegoat after your run massage your calf muscles and just above the achilles area and try and loosen them up - tight calf muscles = strained achilles. If you feel a burning pain stop running as it can quickly develop into a much more severe problem and is very difficult to get rid of. I had some acupuncture treatment - 6 sessions and it really helped my recovery. Whatever you do don't ignore it, also make sure your shoes that you wear when you are not running do not rub your achilles in any way. Good luck!