Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    In that case go for the road bike it'll be loads faster - I envy you if you are naturally fearless, it definitely helps on a bike.

I might start taking the kids to Moorways this winter - the girls are quite into running, well sometimes anyway, not sure if it clashes with Brownies though.
  • Options
    Wednesday evening 1800hrs (or it was last year). Would be nice to meet you! Naturally fearless in my case = many scars on face (and elsewhere). Will talk to my friend tomorrow - thanks. Are you thinking of doing this one?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    LMH, when I first heard you had a MTB, I would have been inclined to say stick with that - but since you say it has only 5 gears, and it's a hilly course, plus your fearless descent style - go for the road bike. It's like to have more gears than your MTB, it will roll faster on the downhills (remember this - however fearless you are, you still might need to brake at the corners!) and even if you aren't used to it, it's only a short ride. Make sure you practice at least once on it before, though. If you're wearing trainers, you need to check out the pedals on the road bike. If it has fairly flat pedals & toeclips, you should be fine in trainers; if it has clipless pedals then maybe you should think again - you will need special shoes, and maybe it's a little too soon to adapt to both a road bike & new shoes.

I've filled the entry form in. I do, however, need to look at again in the cold light of day tomorrow before I actually make my final decision and send it off. And make sure my support team is willing to get up early enough! Matlock's only an hour away from me, but I like to get to events in plenty of time, so we are looking at a V. V. early start.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    LMH - no I think we're on holiday and I can't swim very well, or run much at the moment either.
  • Options
    Quimby - I'm about an hour away and I'd have to faff for England beforehand! Will talk to friend about road bike tomorrow and be guided by what she says - she might not want to risk it! Will try to remember to ask about pedals too - thanks.

Pops -I don't swim very well, or bike very well and I've only been running again six weeks - is that an issue? LOL.
  • Options
    I also faff for England. You can never get to any race too early where I'm concerned. I remember doing Oswestry Tri last year - factored in loads of time - but ended up doing about 5 laps of the town looking for the car park, before giving up and parking on the road, as many other people seemed to be doing.

Regarding what to wear - I've only done one pool tri. I wore my Sportjock bra (well, it's practically a crop top, so hardly indecent) and some tri shorts bought especially for the event. If you can manage to get some, they are great. Thin material and a thin, fast drying pad for cycling. Although not at all flattering for the tubbier amongst us (that would be me!). Then I pulled on a sleeveless bike jersey after the swim, and socks & bike shoes, then in T2 I changed bike shoes for running shoes. No way could I bike or run without shoes. Personally, I even take the time to put cycling gloves on - I find my hands blister and bruise quite easily as I hold on for dear life.
  • Options
    Anyone have any idea how they run the swim?

"One person will start at a time at intervals of 1 minute which will be allocated on receipt of your entry "

"Each competitor will start from in the shallow end of the pool and will complete 12 lengths (400m). Your lengths will be counted for you"

If one person goes off ever 60 secs and I'm looking at doing it in 8 minutes (I'll be lucky) you could have 7-8 people in the lane at anyone time, more if you're slower and that's a bit crowded.
    Not too bad if they're all the same pace but
    that wont be the case.

LMH - MTB with only 5 gears? is that 5 on the back and 3 on the front?
    When I did IM Lanzarote, I put a 13-26 on the back which meant I could get up the hills a bit easier, I'd think a ordinary road bike might have a slightly different set up making climbing a little tougher definately tougher than a MTB with a granny ring.
    I don't remember braking much if at all on any of the decents and I couldn't go any faster because of my gears.
  • Options
    Dunno about the swim. The one I did in Oswestry, they set people going in waves on the swim. I think there were 6 lanes, 2 people to a lane, and we all set off at the same time (although I had a lane to myself due to a non-starter). Then when we finished, they set off the next set of people. I have no idea how they are going to work the 1 minute interval thing. But since they've done it before, I assume they have some kind of workable system?
  • Options
    marshallini - I had assumed only 5 gears for the MTB which is why I thought the road bike might be better? All depends on the gears, obviously. My road bike has a triple so I have a granny ring on that. I managed Oswestry on it (which went into the Welsh hills!) so I think I'll be OK in Matlock. Might wear my MTB shoes, though, in case I hit a hill where it may be faster to get off & push. (There aren't any rules against that are there?)
  • Options
    I rode the bike course on Saturday and although I found parts of the hill a little tough I shouldn't think you'd have to get off and push, even on a bike with only 5 gears if it's a MTB then it should be geared to take on hills.

I did a tri in Burnley and they had 6 lanes with 4 to a lane but all roughly the same speed going of at 5 second intervals, so that wasn't too bad, I was 4th but passed 2 and 3 and got on the feet of 1 and swam a really quick time. then when you were all out the next group started.

Chirk and Denbigh tri's have swimmers going off at intervals were at my pace you wouldn't have more than 3 in a lane at a time and that was for no more than 1 length. Slower swimmers did end up with quite a few in their lanes though.

I've heard of tri's were you swim 4 or 6 lengths in one lane then go under the rope and swim 4 or 6 lengths in the next lane and so on until you get out at the other end of the pool.

No rules about pushing, at Denbigh a man pushed his bike back 6 miles from the turn around and still went on to the run and finished, madness.
  • Options
    Rings? On bikes? As far as I'm aware I have 5 gears on my bike - full stop. Only other adjustment is a twist grip marked 'L' and 'H' which seems to alter the resistance slightly in whichever gear. I had the bike in Norfolk on holiday and really struggled with the big hills as my first gear is still quite high. Hubby's new MtB had much more flexible gearing. Not been restricted on the downhill because of a gear (other than when I'm going too fast to keep up with the pedals - is that what you mean?). It's all so complicated isn't it?

I'd assumed that they'd grade the swimmers by expected finish time and start people off in one minute intervals with groups of people who'd declared the same sort of time - or am I showing my ignorance again.

Talking of bitten by the bug (or incredibly excessive nerves) I dreamt about this last night!
  • Options
    The way I read it, unless you swim across the pool, (so many lengths in each lane which sounds unlikely as you each have a counter) I assume they set off at 1 minute intervals in different lanes ie: first swimmer in lane 1 second swimmer in lane 2 a minute later etc.

BUT, be warned, I have done swim counting with 10 peeps in the lane at one time before at Southwell. It can be pot luck as to how many you share the lane with.

Why not mail the organiser to get clarification(sp).
  • Options
    Oh dear, friend with road bike is out of the country until the 30th so that's not an option:-(
  • Options
    from an experienced tri perspective

you will swim lengths staring in Lane 1 - everyone - and you will end up with a number of swimmers in each lane - at the end of however many lengths they say, you will duck under the lane marker and continue in the next lane and so on until you finish........

be realistic in your swim times as there's nothing worse than havin to go past many swimmers who are slow and have been overrealistic with their estimates as it slows you down as well.....

and don't stop at the walls as that just causes chaos.........tumble turns are usually NOT allowed.........

have fun
  • Options
    FB - thanks. Can't do tumble turns anyway:-)

Have just rung bike shop to see about getting my bike serviced but they want to charge me 3 x what I paid for the bike. Think this is because they're a 'proper' shop and not for bike numpties like me. As I'm really only worried about the brakes working and having the gears checked would it be ok to get somewhere like Halfords to do this?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with it LMH ?

The best place in Derby to take a bike to have work done is Holts on Nightingale Rd (near Moorways). They are really cheap and do the work very quickly.

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    oh and out of interest where did you buy the bike? I wouldn't trust Samways to work on my bikes as I could do a better job myself, Mercians are good but you have to be rich to afford them. Long Eaton cycle centre are OK, sometimes go there as it's run by proper roadies.
  • Options
    LMH - can't you borrow Hubby's bike?

My legs were spinning 19 to the dozen coming down the A615. There was a set of tempoarary traffic lights at the bottom of the hill in Tansley, I'm assuming they'll be gone in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Went to Halfords but poor lad there didn't seem to know much more about the bike than I did and it was going to cost about the same as proper bike shop so rode down to nice man at Leisure Lakes Cycles who has shown me how to use my 15 gears (!) and told me that the bike fits me well (amazing as I had no idea about anything when I bought it from a friend who'd had it in his garage roof for years) and that nothing needs doing to it really but the gears could do with a service and the brakes need a little realignment so it's going in on Thursday morning.

Marshallini - hubby says he's not getting up at silly o'clock to watch so he's going to do it too:-)
  • Options
    Hey, good trip to the bike shop - you came back with 3 times as many gears!

Sent my entry off today...
  • Options
    I didn't mind them laughing at me either - i know I'm a bike numpty:-)

Does anyone think that slicks will make enough difference to my time over ten miles to make them worth £30? As I'm <<uhum>> rather unlikely to be challenging for the lead I'm thinking that the lock laces and bike service might suffice on outlay?
  • Options
    I think new tyres will make quite a difference, I spent about that amount on non-knobbly tyres for my MTB for my 1st tri, and I think it was money well spent. However, I only got one race worth out of them, as I went and bought a racing bike for my next tri! All depends on how much £30 is for you, TBH.

And if you're only changing shoes once, lock laces might not be worth the effort (although they are cheap). I have never used them on my running shoes in a tri - I tried them but found my shoes just didn't feel the same as when laced by hand. And I can do my laces up pretty fast if I have to.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I suppose if you use your bike much on the road then slicks would be worth it - they do ride a lot better - I had a look on Wiggle and you can get some Geax slicks for £20 a pair with free tubes.
  • Options
    Pops - but then I wouldn't know what to do with them:-) If I buy them from the shop they'll fit them too.

Quimby - going back to uni in three weeks so £30 is quite a lot tbh.

Can anyone help me out with swim etiquette? I was in the pool this evening and thought of how spoilt I am - there were 4 in the lane and that was crowded - what do you do if there is someone who is slightly slower and you're swimming on their heels - or if someone is doing the same to you? I didn't have the speed to go smoothly past the guy tonight but he was holding me up considerably.
  • Options
    Lock laces are a bit of a rip off if you ask me.

I bought some of the elastic ones, I think they cost £4.99, you can get the same elastic for 30p a meter in camping shops and the cord lock things are about 30p each.

Or you can just put the cord locks on normal laces, but for the sake of 10 seconds it takes to tie a bow, it's not really worth it unless you're 10 secs behind the leader.

Swim etiquette, is, as far as I'm aware, if you're swimming up behind some who is slower you give their feet a touch and they should let you through at the next turn, I doubt most novices/people are aware of this and would probably just ignore you.
  • Options
    Thanks Marshallini - at least I shall know if someone does it to me! You're probably right about the cost of lock laces but they definitely have a use for me, I have hypothyroidism amongst other things and am likely to have lost much of the feeling in my fingers by the time I leave the pool and enter the fresh air. I'm not good in the cold, I was losing feeling in my toes on my LSR on Sunday - the winter is a nightmare!
  • Options
    So !
    A quick recap LMH...

You're rubbish at swimming and it makes you lose feeling in your fingers....

You can't change a tyre so if you get a puncture you're shot....

To cap it all you're not too sure about the run because of your knees.

In conclusion I think you should give it up as a bad idea and come to Grimesthorpe where you will get valuable training for the Patagonia relays.
    ;o)
  • Options
    LOL Muzzy. If I only did what I was supposed to I'd never do anything:-)

Entry form completed.

Next munpty question - do you take a towel to the pool to pick up as you go from there to transition? I can hear triatheletes all over the land spluttering into their coffee as they read the latest silly question.
  • Options
    In my (v. limited) experience, you generally drip dry until you reach T1. Then use the towel to mostly get the grit off your feet rather than actually bothering to dry yourself off!
  • Options
    Thanks Quimby.Do they start people according to their estimated swim time in which case is it slowest or quickest first?