Options

FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Options
    Howard road r
    9's is a comfy pace
    I ran Paris and FLM at strict 9s and came in both @ 3.57

not rocket science but 26.2 in different conditions with all the variabilities - amazing really
  • Options
    Thanks Bern. It has always been my intention to run even 9s up tp 20/22 miles and then throw the kitchen sink at the last few miles hopefully with an overall negative split and safely under 4 hours. Well thats the theory anyway!

5 miles fartlek this morning. Ran the faster sections quite hard and it felt like a good workout. Day off tomorrow then my threshold run on Wed.
  • Options
    Hello all,

some really good training going on!

My training is ok, did 10 miles Sunday at 9mm pace. 4 Mile recovery this morning.

LS....still off the fags. Feel better, but my lungs are starting to have a good old spring clean at the moment. The moral is don't run behind me!

Blousey, we both looked silly with our laden sis go gel belts. We know that they work though! They really do what they say on the label. I buy a box of them every other month now. One every 3 / 4 miles on a long run....does the trick. Lucozade makes me sick to the core :0(

What a week end for me and dap jnr!! We travelled to Sheffield Saturday and saw the mighty Swans pulverise Sheffield United 3 nil. I aint stopped smiling yet! Chester or Ipswich next....bring it on!
  • Options
    Ripped dap
    when i went to college in Abertawe the "mighty swans" were flying high at the top of the old first division, when i left they were in the fourth.
  • Options
    funny enough Bern, 3 of my FLM's were 3.57.02, 3.57.44, 3.57.44, seems like 3.57 is my natural time so this year I'm doing some serious training to break that damm 3.57 barrier. Was quite amazed last year to do the second of my 3.57.44's ,the other one was 3 years previous, spooky or what. I'm 50 two days before this years race and want to get a new PB to go with my new V50 status.

keep on running

beders

• Options
    Hello everyone - well here in sunny scotland the forecast is the flu, or if you fancy you can just have a respiratory infection - mmmm what will you have today.

No running for me and the worst Christmas EVER, tried 3 miles yesterday and I was like an old woman - paying for it today with even more congestion. Hope no-one saw me.
  • Options
    Hi all. Has anyone ever used the RW pacers at FLM. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I put 3:45 on my entry form. I believe that entitles me to start with the Rhinos! Is it easy to spot the pacers?
  • Options
    Hello - I'm back!! Some of you may remember me from the autumn. I failed to get a place in the main ballot, then didn't get a place with my club either. But did that stop me .... ? Well, it did briefly, but then the lure of FLM was too strong and I have just accepted a place to run for the Asthma Society.

But .... I have been terribly slack after initially not getting a place and have barely run for 7 weeks. So I am no longer gunning for that dream 4 hours. Instead I'm going to slope off to a slower thread. I should get round, but there's going to be some serious catch up to be done, after my self-indulgent time off!

But I did want to say hello to the old faces on this very friendly thread. Good to hear how you're making progress. Vrap - you and your unintentional 70 miles. What a smile that brought to my face. Good luck for the many miles ahead ....
  • Options
    Wehey Pidge ! Great to hear that you're in ! Sure you can't stay here ? I can't remember exactly your prev times but seem to remember that you're quite speedy..... and you do have 14+ weeks to go !.

Sorry about the cold/flu/virus GymAddict and about Christmas. Hope things are looking up for you now.

It was speedwork day on the Ultimate schedule today... it felt like really hard work but I managed to stick to the plan. Now I'm really looking forward to an "easy" 6 miler tomorrow morning.

I was thinking of using the pacers too Jaydubs. Only is it not really hard to catch up with them after the congested start ?. I would have thought it would be impossible to run at a decent pace for the first couple of miles.. but then again they are in the same position so maybe they start slow and increase the pace later to catch up.Anyone had any experience here ?
  • Options
    The pacers run a steady pace aiming for a clock time rather than a chip time, which means that, particularly for the slower groups starting further back, the pacers may run slightly faster mile splits than you'd expect. And finding them at the start can be difficult. Their placards are quite small.

There's usually a pacer for each target time at both the red and the blue starts.

I've revised my estimated time to 3.28, so hope I'll be able to start with the 3.30 pacing group.

Glad you've succumbed, pidge :o) G'won, I'm sure, with your half-marathon time, sub-4 is still realistic. As QQ says, there's lots of time to build up your long runs.

Sorry to hear you've been poorly, GA, and I'm sure your training will be back on target soon.

Today was a recovery-run day for me, and I got absolutely drenched. It was still a million times nicer than running on a treadmill. Tomorrow I have my first 20-miler since Abingdon, but then I get to taper for Brass Monkey :o)
  • Options
    Vrap - I am so glad you have downed your time to under 3.30. I have been coming out in a cold sweat reading your posts LOL.

• Options
    Sorry, GA :oS

I really should remove myself from this thread, or put a caveat on all my posts.

Inside, there's a little bit of me that would still accept 3.59.59 and a handshake, and be grateful.
  • Options
    "Inside, there's a little bit of me that would still accept 3.59.59 and a handshake, and be grateful."

At Cardiff in Oct I wanted sub 4
    Irealised about 4 miles out I would have to up my game and pushed through a lot of pain.
    on entering the stadium my watch told me that I had 2 mins to get around. I had to grit and sprint after 26.2. The clock said 4.02 but I knew I had made it, Chip time was 3.59:22
    To be honest a far greater achievent than two at 3.57 as the sub 4s were not in doubt, I could have easily have gone over 4. It hurt.
  • Options
    Vrap-im aiming for 3.30-should we push each other round?? Im training to a 3hr plan at the moment and its hard.Im hoping to knock 30 mins off my pb which is just under 4hrs.
  • Options
    Thanks quickquack and vrap. Well, I might just hang out here for a while and see how it goes. But am not setting myself any target time really until I'm back in the swing. And even then, I've vowed that since this is my first ever go, I should just have a fairly conservative aim and go out and enjoy it.

I've adapted the Hal Higdon schedules so that I'm doing something between novice and intermediate, plus I might throw in a bit of intervals / fartlek to spice it up.

That's my only plan so far. Oh, that and a glass of wine tonight to celebrate my 7 miler this morning! Oops.
  • Options
    G'won then, Mick ;o)

Sub-3.30 will be about a minute per mile faster than my PB, which is quite a tall order (especially as I took nearly 2 minutes per mile off my PB in the autumn) but it doesn't look completely ridiculous.
  • Options
    Evening all!

Glad to hear that training is, on the whole, going great guns.
    Mine, unfortunately, is yet to get going - thanks to my bloody back.
    However, chiropractor reckons he'll have me back running by this weekend - so that's good news.
    14 week marathon training here I come!!!

Anyway, please read my full tale of woe at -
    My Training Blog - you'll keep my web editor happy with all the extra hits!!!!
  • Options
    Did the 3 x 1.5 mile fast pace runs today, as in the ultimate 3.30 programme I'm kinda following.
    For the 3 runs I did 10:19, 10:24, and 10:07, so roughly 6:53 min miling I make it. Happy with that as I was a fair bit ahead of the 11 minute target, and it felt OK.
    Time for a soak in the tub now.
  • Options

V'rap is training harder than me at the moment, which is a little perturbing!! And she's turning into an aerobic conditioning monster!

• Options
    Another lovely day on the Thames towpath - eventually. Started off very gloomy with outbreaks of rain and gusty wind. By the time I turned back there was blue sky and then the sun came out.

Another 18 mile done. Average pace bang on my marathon target (9mm) and a negative split of around 3 minutes. Last 5 miles:
    8.32, 8.37, 8.52, 8.53, 8.38. A very happy bunny and a rest day tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well done HRR.

The daunting prospect of the long runs getting longer that 99% of us face is no longer an issue for you. Your body and mind will be well used to the distance come April, and I've a feeling that your last miles will be spent steadily picking off fools who set off too fast, as your pacing I'm sure will be spot on.

Surprised to enjoy the speed session today. I guess I have another new benchmark now that I'll want to see lowered in the weeks ahead. I think I'm gonna alternate between speed sessions, and hillwork on Wednesdays, then the Monday is usually a 8.6, and the Friday is the ever stretching long run, and Sunday is a 8-10 miler with the running club. The Sunday run may lengthen if more marathoners appear, and the long 'un will be 15 miles this week. In the ultimate 3.30 schedule, a 15 miler doesn't appear til week 5, but 2 weeks later, its up to 20 miles!? I'd rather stretch that leap over 7 weeks than 2.

Can anyone see any obvious faults in this plan, taking into account that I only want to run 4 times a week, to maintain my freshness and enthusiasm ?
  • Options
    Good training going on here - although feeling sorry for Scoop and GA and anyone else suffering - there is still plenty of time.

LS - I've got 15 miles for this weekend followed by 17, 18 & 20 over the following weekends. aagh. Haven't run that far for many months so should be interesting. Like you I am surprising myself with the speedwork. Last year I entered into those sessions with slightly less enthusiasm - and although this mornings reverse ladder (1200, 800, 600, 400, 200) seemed hard on the legs I was well within my target pace each interval. As I am only doing the 3 runs each week I intend to stick rigidly to the programme desparate not to lose any sessions to the obvious colds and niggles.

Nice run HRR, can't beat a good negative split can you? Even the 2 minutes on my 13 miles at the weekend was a major achievement!

Onwards...

DtF
  • Options
    LS your plan seems spot on to me and I totally agree with you on your thoughts about getting from 15 to 20 miles. I am also on a 4 run a week plan. I really need the rest days. I shall certainly sleep well tonight - if I can wait that long!
  • Options
    I hope my mileage is not overwhelming for some of you. This sub 4 thing is very,very serious thing for me, my third attempt. I started my marathon training 3/4 months ago so I've been able to build up the miles real slow. Stick to the schedules you've chosen, the reason that they are there and very popular is because they work. I on the other hand am out on a limb with my training, it could all fall apart at any moment but I've just got a feeling this is the right way for me.
  • Options
    Just entered the Bedford Harriers Oakley 20 on April 1st.
  • Options
    Thanks for the sympathy Dave the Flower (sorry if that sounds sarcastic - I am actually being sincere!!!)

I'm really jealous reading about all your training runs. I'm itching to get going at the moment - just bloody can't!

Back was feeling ok this morning, but is sore again now. Sitting on an office chair all day prob doesn't help in that respect!

My Training Blog
  • Options
    HRR - your plan sounds good. You if anybody knows your body and how it responds and to a certain degree your out on a limb training is a bit like mine ended up last year (albeit a tad more exuberant!). I lost about 3½ weeks of training last year (my first marathon) and in the end just did what I could when I could and listened to my body. My target of sub4hr30 was reached (just) and I was happy with that.
    I am really determined to stick to the FIRST plan and so far it's working well.

Scoop - sitting in a chair all day certainly won't help - probably lucky that my job keeps me on my feet most of the time - apart from when I hide in the office to post on threads! ;-)

• Options
    Hi All

I've had an unscheduled rest day today. After (infact before, if I'm honest ) yesterdays speed session I felt a twinge in my calf and so decided that it would be more sensible to miss todays easy 6 miler. Fortunately its felt absolutely fine today so should be back on track tomorrow. Think I need to remind myself once in a while to listen to the body and consider the bigger picture.

Scoop So sorry about your continuing back pain. Hope you're back out running v.soon

V'rap thanks for the useful info on pacers. Would be great to latch on to one but sounds like I need to be prepared to go it alone - which is fine.

I shouted at the kids this evening which always makes me feel bad. Sure I was grumpy cos I missed my run today so didn't get my fix of feelgood hormones. Can see how running can become addictive !

Enjoy your evening runs everyone !
  • Options
    Whats an evening run ?