Options

FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Options
    Ha Ha !

Don't suspect you'll ever find out L.S. lol You going to be alright running so late in the day in April ?

Sending you healing vibes scoop !

• Options
    miss a couple of days and you've got loads of posts to catch up. to summerise, hope the injured get better, and a bit in awe of some of you fast runners, some damm good running going on

Did a 7.26 mile marathon pace run on tuesday , ended up doing 8.21 min miling which was easy peasy on the way out but a bit hard on the way back...blxxdy gale force winds, all I've got to do now is tag another 19 miles onto that and I'll be fine.

Just a quick point about the pacers, last year they didn't have the 3.45 one, only the 3.30 and 4.00 (plus others faster and slower of course) so may have to start up your own group if you're aiming for 3.45 !!

keep on running all

beders
  • Options
    Good evening everyone :o)

Healing vibes to you too, QQ! And I can absolutely sympathise about using running for the endorphins. I've never noticed withdrawal symptoms, but have occasionally gone out for a little run for medicinal reasons when I've felt slightly frazzled.

I did my first 20-mile training run tonight :o) It was a little faster than intended - average 8.55mm pace (as my aspirational marathon pace is 8mm, that's just within the acceptable range) but I didn't finish with a lactic acid shuffle by any means.

For the first 14.5 miles, I was running with TmR, and I've found it amazing, as a normally solitary runner, how much more quickly the miles pass when you've got someone to chat to. And she's an experienced runner with lots of good advice, so I was doubly privileged.

• Options
    QQ- good decision to miss the 6 mile easy run although better decision would have been to miss the speed session if you felt a twinge before it then do it instead of the 6 mile easy the next day. Its easy to say it but not so easy to do it, I know I have been there.
    I think it is important to see the bigger picture though and to realise that too much now may mean not getting to the start, less now may mean injury recovers and getting to the start but not getting to the finish quite as quickly as hoped. I prefer the later.A good book is the runners world one on injury prevention. I have to keep picking it up and reading bits persuade me to take it easy.

ITB seems to be getting better. Went right down to 4 miles and added a mile each run with a few shorter fast ones thrown in. have been running a bit more than my usual 3 times a week in order to keep my weekly milage reasonable. Did 7.3 miles on mon and planning 8 and a bit today.

have also managed to slow myself down a bit as well as I think my prob was my LRs were about 9.30/mile when my PMP is about 9/mile if all goes really well. I am determined to try to do my LRs at 10/mile in future but perhaps a few at my normal pace as a confidence booster.

At what pace should I be doing my other runs ie the ones in addition to tempo and speed sessions? On the RW plans they say to do an easy 4 miler most weeks the day before a LR at 10/mile pace, is that a worthwhile run? or would I be better off going to the gym for an hour?
  • Options
    Great to read everyone's posts.

I am trying to be sensible - ramping up slowly into my schedule with some gentle 3-4 milers, and then planning a 10 miler this weekend. So much shorter than most of you folks. But very much trying not to get injured etc.

I had been planning to try to run on 5 days, but maybe I could get away with 4 (might be more realistic, given childcare plus job to fit in!)
  • Options
    This weather is getting me down :(
  • Options
    me too but it will pass eventually :)
  • Options
    Blowing a hoolie (whatever that is!)down here in Bournemouth. Lucky that my 3 day a week plan allows me to wait until tomorrow!!
    Might do a point to point with the wind firmly behind me...
  • Options
    (just lurking; turns red with embarassment)
  • Options
    I have decided to change my whole approach!! I may have mentioned that because of family problems I am finding it difficult to run in January ie most of my family are in Spain at the moment, leaving me and Dap jnr here on our own freezing our proverbials off.

So, I have decided to ditch the sub 3.30/3.45 plan and go with Pfitzinger & Douglas up to 55 mpw / 12 week plan. I will obviously run when I can now but I think this will be best in the long run (pardon the pun).

Can't see me getting anywhere near sub 3.45 now. However my pb of 3.58.46 is there to be beaten!

As an aside, anyone doing the Rhayader 20 in March? Sure I saw V.Rap and El Bee on that forum?

GA- you are right this weather will soon pass (Dap crosses fingers). I love the icy cold just hate running in driving winds/rain.
  • Options
    I just changed my name. You like it? I think the 'the' makes it sound more distinguished.

Hell's bells I need a run...........
  • Options
    V. Rap, just re read the above. Congratulations! You must be the first on here to do a 20 miler for FLM 2007.

That is awesome! It's the middle of January! You are going to blitz 3.30.

• Options
    RD, we were thinking about doing Rhayader, but have decided to do the Ashby 20 on 18th March for reasons of geographical convenience, not to mention the promise of a dose of Evil Pixie's famous Sunday roast dinner after the race :o)

What is a ripped dap anyway? I'm having visions of an item of thick flannel underwear, in that lovely old-man's-underwear-grey colour, being painstakingly darned by an old woman while she delivers a scolding in a broad Yorkshire accent :oS

I hope you manage to run more than you think you will at the moment.

It'll be my last 20-miler for a few weeks. I don't plan to do more than 4 or 5, including Ashby, because I want to keep looking forward to the next 20-miler rather than starting to dread them.

GA, you're in Edinburgh. From what I remember, it's always this windy there ;o)

Hellen, glad you're getting better and being sensible :o)

TmR, welcome :o) If you're going to lurk here, I think you should be prepared to share some of your wisdom and experience when the need arises. Which is a lot of the time cos most of us are just learning.

I'm just letting my late lunch settle before popping out for a breezy 6-mile recovery run. I won't even bother recording the splits because they'll be blown all over the place.

• Options
    Hi All,
    "the" ripped dap, mmmm very catchy, new name for a new year,

things plodding on ok for me a little pain in my left shin (splints again, i hope not) of to do some spinning tonight did some sessions last year and enjoyed the change so starting earlier for hopefully improved results.

i am attempting long runs at a slower pace, last year i banged all but a 22 miler out in 9 minute mile pace and delivered on the day so i do have some doubts about my new strategy but i am trying to go easy on the legs and concentrate on "HAL'S Principles" of just doing the miles.

take care out there and focus on the big day

the blouse
  • Options
    Blousey - in 05 I was like you and didn't do anything slower than 9mms on my long runs and in the Ashby 20miler did 8m15s miles but come the FLM I just missed sub 4 (4:00:21) so I'm going for sub 4 and following RWs 3.45 schedule, although as QQ mentioned a while back there are a few speed sessions that are daunting. I am finding it hard running slowly in the long/easy runs but am enjoying the fact that I get to chat (last time I thought if I could chat I wasn't putting enough effort in).

Sorry to hear that there's not going to be a 3.45 pacer though. Even with a Garmin I find it really difficult to tell what pace I'm running at. Oh hang on, forgot, i'm going for sub-4.
  • Options
    Arf,
    that is a cruel 21 secs, did ashby 20 last year and struggled really, so weird with the way things turned out on the day but then it was cool last year and i am chunky, if it had been hot i would have been more like sub 5, the heat really gets me.

3.45 for sure 4 u this time

fingers crossed

the blouse
  • Options
    Hi All

Isn't a "dap" a plimsoll ? My cousin from The Mumbles used to call her pumps "daps". New name new training plan T.R.D...... v. impressive !

Hellen , you are absolutely right . I should have ditched the speed session but I got pulled along with The Plan and couldn't resist. Did an easy 7 miles tonight tho instead of the "brisk" outing on the schedule.

Regarding the easy 4 miler I kinda like this one as it's chance to chill out and relax. I guess tho if you enjoy the gym you'd probably be getting similar benefit it you do aerobic exercise for 40 minutes.

V'rap.. 20 miles Great running... dare I ask you your target time Brass Monkey ?
  • Options
    That should have said 'for Brass Monkey'
  • Options
    They were always daps in Cardiff

Plimsoles are for public school cross country runs

I've got Asic daps

I did my hour tonight in the wind.
  • Options
    Evening All. Started the RW 3:45 schedule on Jan 1st. First marathon so finding it all a bit of a shock to the system but am enjoying it nonetheless - I've only been jogging up until now so found the first fast session a few days ago hard work - after the first 800m at 7.5 min/mile I didn't think i'd manage 3 lots of 1.5M but it's amazing how the body adapts - very rewarding session.

Good luck all

Ade

www.RunningDads.com
  • Options
    Hi Ade :o)

QQ, I'm hoping for under 1.40 at Brass Monkey :o)
  • Options
    L.S whats a morning run? With my new job and having to speak to the states alot i've not had chance to run until 9pm the last 3 days. It can get a bit harrowing running down the Cowley Road in Oxford through the tipsy students at quarter to ten at night.

Scoop - just read your blog, i didn't realise how close FLM was untilreading it, 102 days is it? - I'm feeling your pain mate. Good luck getting out there for the weekend.

I did a cheeky race last Sunday - The Woodcote to Goring (Oxon) and back 10k. 4k down hill 6k up him - it was not fun. Was only 20 secs of 53.11 pb so I reckon if it had been flat I would've smashed it.

C'est la Vie. gonna sign up for a half in next 6 weeks me thinks. Then Reading half March 25th.

I'm getting excited. Not long now...

• Options
    been nice and windy up here, try and make sure my out and back runs go out into the wind, makes the coming back soooo much easier..negative splits no problem.

Out for 2 x 15 minute efforts at 7.30 min miling today, still windy to trying to find a long stretch of road with the wind behind me, there again it'll be a long jog back !

Going for a long run tomorrow, maybe not as far as Velo's monster efforts but you never know, will be trying to get at least 17-18 miles though. Read in the RW about starting off slow, pushing up marathon pace halfway through and then trying a race pace finish for the last few miles,mmmmm sounds a bit damm hard to me, we'll see how it goes.

have a good days running ,lets hope the winds keeps dropping, great fun when it's behind you, but a pain in the bum when it's howling in your face.

cheers

beders

• Options
    does everyone else find there pace to be so much slower in this wind or is it because I have had a bit of time off and havnt been doing speed sessions. I did a 8.5 10/mile run last night which although it felt slow didnt feel that slow
  • Options
    Beders, step way from that Amby Burfoot article now! I think the old guy's lost his marbles completely.

(Actually, the idea of speeding up to marathon pace later in a long run is about the only respectable piece of training advice in the article. But I won't be trying it out till I've done a couple more 20-milers and a few more marathon-pace runs.)

The wind slows me down too, hellen, and that's a well-recognised phenomenon. Sadly, a tailwind doesn't help as much as a headwind hinders :o(

14 miles for me today, at long-run pace without any speedy bits. The speedy bits are for Sundays.
  • Options
    Hello everyone

This is probably the wrong place for me but I could do with some advise. I have a place this year and after running for 2 years and completing 3 halfs last year with a best of 1.58 I believed a resistic time for FLM would be about 4.20 I have therfore been following the FIRST programme with this in mind.My problem is that this is the first time I have followed a programme and I now seem to be getting quicker han I have ever been (Just come back fron a 5 mile tempo in 40 mins and am OK) I am therfore unsure if I should now be looking for a quicker time or should try to slow down? any ideas gratefully recieved THANKS
  • Options
    Hi M Neal. Think positive, go for the faster times. You can always change your mind later. Just listen to your body.
  • Options
    Something crossed my mind while on my long run the other day. How are we all coping with the extra fluid intake? It is definitely worth while getting used to drinking more at home, at work and on the run. There aren't many loos on the marathon course.
  • Options
    M Neal - I agree with HRR about being positive but I think there's a lot to be said for having a number of goals so that when you know at mile 20 that you've missed your 'not in my wildest dreams initially but then the training went really well' goal you've still got something to keep you going.