Options

Bupa Great North Run 2007

Comments

• Options

Morning everyone.

Don't feel to bad this morning apart from a slight pain in my right calf.  The aches and pains probably will hurt more tomorrow they generally do.

Curry & cans went down a treat last night.  Safely tucked up in bed by 10pm (what a lightweight) image

Hope everyone is not feeling to sore this morning image

• Options

This was my first ever half-marathon (I only started running 6 ago).

I really enjoyed it, the event is well organised and the crowds are fantastic (I had a ice-pop, banana and some Fruit Pastelles on the way around). My training hadn't gone that well over the last month or so due to problems with my glutes which resulted me having to reduce my training mileage drastically (longest run was 12 miles and that was well over 1 month ago, since then I've only been able to run upto 7 miles or so). I did lots of strecthing before the run and my glutes managed to hold out (just)...they became a little stiff at around 10 miles but that was all...image

I managed a time of 1h:48m:47s so I guess, considering I'm a newbie and my training wasn't as good as it should of been, I can't complain. I will be back next year, better prepared and hopefully will be nearer 1h:30m...

• Options

Well done on a great time Darren - you should smash that next year with a bit of luck and some good solid training!

lol well - being the photo-op tart I am, I've made it onto the local news this morning, and the gazette webbie

My legs are a tiny bit achey today - no more than a normal sunday run tbh, but my toes are quite sore.  Gonna slap on some savlon.  I thought the wings would have chafed sommit rotten, but they were fine - gonna have to think of some other cossie to wear for next year though (btw CC2 - you can get black gothic fairy wings if you wanna take the plunge image

• Options

Do you go looking for the cameras Vicki image

Beat this though - I'm on the front of the Journal today image ok, ok I know that it's like a where's wally book, but still I'm on the front image

• Options

lucky you vicki, being in the paper twice! the wings look great. and well done to everyone on their runs sounds like veeryone did well. I had to get out of bed early today, cos i was aching too much lying down.

Has anyone used the jointace gel they got from the goody bags yet? I used it last night and it felt great!

• Options

I had the best day ever yesterday. Despite being so worried about how I'd get on after being poorly for two weeks it was my "best half marathon" to date. (not time wise but fun wise) I managed to run the whole way, minus my watch, which took the pressure off. My time was 2hrs 14. The power songs at mile ?10 ish was great - Queen's "don't stop me now I'm having a Good time" it summed up just how I was feeling! 

I am on telly giving Sir Bobby a Hi 5 at the start and then had my photo taken with Dom the kids TV presenterimage. The BUPA hospitality tent was next to the Elites and Celebs so did a bit of star spotting too.

You Geordies(is that how you spell it) are fab people and the commaraderie is second to none in this race. I did it last year but somehow enjoyed it better this year.

Well done to everybody and thanks for the chat here on th forum

• Options

I dunno about looking for the cameras - they came looking for me image

musta been the wings

lol FB1

Nice one on the telly Allison image  The nike+ 800m was fab *big thumbs up* 

• Options
    It was the Killers with Mr Brightside for me - FANTASTIC!!!!!!
  • Options

Congrats to everyone on yesterdays effort. Shinplints prevented me taking part and I was green as owt standing on the tyne bridge watching you lot pile across.

Saw Vickie with her wings and I gave her an encouraging shout. Going to do it next year deffo.

• Options

I have a banging head this morning (too much wine)

And very very sore legs (too much running)

But had a wonderful weekend - thanks to everyone who made the effort to come up from where you live and take part to make this brilliant event what it is.

And also thanks to all the people who came out and supported us.  The lollipop lady near where I live saw my t-shirt this morning, asked me how I got on and told me that she goes out every year and watches it until the last person passes - now that's impressive!

I got quite tearful on the metro this morning, 'cos Kirsty McColl came on singing first of all Days (which always makes me cry anyway) and then Perfect Day, and I just thought it was so apt for yesterday.

Running the thing is brilliant, but the camaraderie before and after is a bit special too, I think.

And I hope everyone enjoyed themselves last night who came out for some food and drink.

• Options

Seeing as everyone did fantastic times I thought I'd post something opposite. I  completed it in 2h 57 min which was 40 minutes slower than my 2004 time. I struggled from before the start. I was feeling very cold waiting for the off and though I had a bin bag for my top half it didn't help much. I had taken on the advice to keep myself well hydrated but as I was way back in the green zone (H) I was dying to go the loo before the start but I didn't want to lose my place at the front of the green zone and go even further back.

Anyway, managed to hold it and when I finally set off 20 mins after the start and got carried away with the atmosphere. My Garmin was beeping "slow down" but I didn;t heed the advice and come three miles my right calf was feeling really tight. After 4 miles finally spotted a bush and nipped in there to relieve myself and then decided to walk and massage my calf. It improved a bit but found it really hard to keep a rhythm. Around 8 or 9 miles started getting a pain in my left shoulder so that didn't help either. 

Got to the 10 mile mark in 2hr 13m so took almost 44 minutes for the last 3 miles and that is after really pushing it in the last mile to get under 3 hours. 

Taking away the timing factor it was still a major achievement to finish consiering that just two weeks ago I suffered a slipped disc and sciatica pain and wasn't able to stand or walk let alone run a half marathon. That coupled with no running at all in 2006 due to Pericarditis (inflammation of the heart) means that I am still very proud of finishing and that also under 3 hours.

Going to do some proper base training and I will be back in 2008!

• Options

help,

Anyone taped the race / highlights off the telly?  I set the tape but no record when we got back home.  I am now hanging my head in shame.  I will gladly shell out good money!

We had a great day.  My daughter and I were watching this year as 'mum' went round in a fantastic 2 hours 24 on her first race.  Well done to everyone who took part!!!!

• Options

Well done everyone (Canal runner you did really well, just think how many able bodied people came in after you, and just think what you will do next time.)

Thanks to xl and pengwyn for providing balloons and the meeting point, really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you all. Sorry I did not get to say bye to everyone, I had planned to return but ended up looking for toilet longer than i planned to.

XL what happed to the team phoyo?

MY RUN

I got talking to another Anthony Nolan Trust runner at the start and enjoyed her company for nearly 6 miles, so basically we were talking away and enjoying the atmosphere so that I was startled to see the 6 mile marker (How did I get here??)

She was a stronger runner than I and after lots of persuasion she finally left me behindimage.

I plodded on easily with the only problem being I needed the loo again, actually since crossing the start line. At 9 miles I had to stop running and go to the loo, I knew I was asking for trouble stopping and sure enough my knees and hipp siezed up, I ran anyway but a lot slower and at mile 10 had to stop and do some stretches which seamed to help me, but I just wish I had pissed myself, no stopping next time.

I had saved myself for the 1 st 10 miles, holding back so I could pick up the pace at the last 2 miles and my FXXXing hip was siezed. I never even got out of breath the whole way round image never got to push myself.

So it was with very mixed feelings that i finished the race and even now I think I achieved so much and did so well, but I am still bitterly dissapointed with my feeble body.

finished in 2hr 22

• Options

After the race

what a dissaster, my wife did not answer her phone or could not get signal and i waited 1 1/2 hours for her to meet me.

Had a burger and a beer and then set off home. Bumper to bumper for 5 1/2 hours, my wife really did not enjoy the day at all. she had dropped me off in newcastle at 8:50 and set off for S.Shields. because of the closed roads, she did not arrive untill 12:30, I nearly got thier before her.

So she is addamant that she is not going next time. See how she feels in a weeks time.

• Options

My First GNR and I can say easily it was my best ever in all the Half Marathons and 10K runs I've done.  I managed 1hour 41 (within 20 seconds of my PB) so I'm well chuffed.  The whole day was awesome. I was in Orange Zone B - level with the gorilla costumes who were doing the aerobic warm up on the grass hill to my right.  From the Spitfire overhead at the start; the bands; the Nike 10 mile speaker alley (Mr Brightside pumping out full tilt rowned my MP3 out for the full distance); the support on the whole course; the Red Arrows when I was getting off the ferry at North Shields - their love heart was ace; the round of applause from those waiting on the ferry at North Shiels; etc it was all amazing. 

I didn't know the course but from the Z card and mag knew there were some tough hills.  Going through 11-12 I was running on mental energy and the wee hill after 12 as well made it tough but I got there.  Did the first mile in 8:40 ish so picked up a bit of time.  I tried to hold back for big parts of the race due to crowds, euphoria etc wanting to pull me along. 

I'm still on a high today and will hopefully be back (ballot luck) next year.  Brilliant.

David

• Options

Hey Canal Runner,

Sorry to hear that it wasn't your best time - but i admire anyone who even attempts it.  I have numerous friends who have no reason to be unfit except down to lazyness..... you know the type.. i ask them every year to train, run it exjoy the experience and the pint afterwards but they always sneer!

So regardless of being just under three hours, the fact you attempted it and did it  is good image

Pericarditis?  I read up on that i've had a sharp pain in my left side a few times, but normally just an ache that frequently comes and goes (not a pain as such just a mild ache) but it's very off putting.... going to see the doc sometime just to be sure but it could also just be trapped nerve/muscle as i've had a similar twinge in my back so i'm not fretting just yet! What symptoms did you have?

• Options

Oh and the support on the whole course was incredible.  The oganisation first class. The BUPA spray tents were perfect. A better shower than the one raining down from the top of the flyover which someone going for a pee at the side of the road almost got washed in.

I raised a few hundred quid for Children's Hospice Association of Scotland.

• Options

Eager, my brother dropped me off near St James' park  at 10AM, the went back on A1 north bound, onto A19 and through the Tyne Tunnel (£1.10 per car) then onto south shields and they were at the finigh to see me romp *well i my dreams maybe* home, and that was parking quite far out from the finish and walking in so it was a little quicker for us to leave afterwards.... though we still queued for a while but it's to be expected....

Tell your wife not to fret, just go another way next time!

• Options

Hi all and well done to all the runners

cut and paste from another thread but here is my report, and as its Oct 5th next year it'll be the day after Coniston trail race so i doubt i'll be fast if i get in next year

Well that was fun and surprisingly easy but i suspect that was due to my inability to pass people.

Took 2:09:08 according to the text i got (lovely feature of the race i must add) as my bloody watch died with around 5-600 metres to go so my guessed total distance run is about 13.4 miles due to weaving around to try and get past people.

Splits were

9:30 inc toilet stop at half a mile on the side of the flyover
    8:27
    9:15
    9:54
    10:09
    9:23
    9:27
    9:20
    9:56
    9:48
    10:23
    10:31
    9:28

and probably around 9:00 for the last bit

Oddly it wasn't hard to run at speed early on and actually got harder to keep the pace up later on. The end of the john reid road and then the climb up mile 12 were the worst but even the slightest hill brought out a outbreak of walking (3-4 a breast too which is annoying) quite a few bottle necks like turning onto john reid road as well as pretty much all the water/lucazade stations

i was intending to have 2 lucazade ouches only for the run but as it was hot i got a bottle f water at the first spot and then lucazade at stops 1 and 3 for them, all over drinks stations i aimed for the middle as it was the only time it was actually clear enough to run down, not that its much of a benefit as just beyond you get lots of people walking and drinking plus bottles flying all over the shot

i think the way around crowding issues is to stick a time down at least 5-10 mins faster than your PB and hope for the best in allocation of starting spot, i was in F today which is more or less the middle.

Also got ramed up the arse by some twat with a boat costume running for the RNLI , its still bloody sore now from where the wooden bow bashed me.

• Options

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1358303

this was his route, he parked on the outskirts of South Shields, though there is car parking in the centre and some way down the coast road and at the time your wife dropped you off she'd get parked fine.  Like i said i was dropped off at 10 ish and they seen me come in arounf 12:30 and that was with a 2 mile walk!

Hope that helps!

• Options

Where, where, where, where's wally

£0.50p to the person who can spot me image

Where's wally

• Options
    Keith - be careful with your prediction for next year. If you predict a time more than 10% faster than the time you submit as evidence you'll get dumped in a zone near the back.
  • Options

Morning all

Just got back home and legs are a bit tender this morning, but what a weekend!!

We were staying too far out to go into Newcastle on Saturday and we had a really early start sunday morning, but i'll be back next year.

Was nice to see a few of you at the start, thanks for making me feel welcome!!!

My first half marathon and came in at 2.09.43, was hoping for 2.15 so really pleased with that!!! Panicked when I went under the underpass and my garmin lost its connection, but decided not to worry about the time and use the Garmin to pace me. Was running well til I hit mile 11 (i see a few have mentioned this!!) and struggled up the hill to the pub, think its cos I wasn't expecting it, but I struggled on to the finish, what great crowd support, absolutely fantastic!!!

Never been to South Shields before, but i think thats where we'll be staying next year!! Was happy to come in before Bart Simpson but they guy with the boat beat me to the finish!!!

• Options

bottom left corner, 'flabby 1nce' ?

• Options

What a fantastic day it was! I had a scare as some of you will of known (we didnt have transport for getting up there) but we managed to sort that out. I could not believe how many people were supporting all the runners! It was fantastic to see the local geordies offering their support by giving us slices of oranges, biscuits, cups of water ice pops oh and of course hosing us down with lots of water! I managed to complete the race in 1 hour and 47 minutes which I am delgithed with considering it was my first ever half marathon! Hope you all had a great day.

Jack

• Options
    Flabby - you're not the one behind the bloke with the Green Macmillan vest on, are you?
  • Options

Sore head this morning but still elated fromyesterdays run

When I was running I kept thinking why am I here I am crap at this but somehow kept going.

It is a hilly run bur I train on hills so don't bother me too much but i do agree with the comment ref people walking  3-4 abreast i am sure that added time on.

well done everyone you're all marvelous 

• Options

Slow Sam - my garmin went doolally tap whilst running through the big underpass at the start as well, which panicked me, but it seemed to right itself once I was clear again.

I'm not sure I saw you at the start?  We may have missed each other (I was probably in the queue for the portaloos)  If you were there and I didn't say hello then I apologize.

I had to go down to a lower floor half an hour ago and had to cling onto the bannister with both hands, as I hobbled down - to everyone else's amusement.

• Options

Hi, Shielsy

everything OK with you?