Options

Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• Options
    Manc Dunc - not biting (yet) lolol <wink>
  • Options

Hey Dunc - i was home at 1630 today  after ferry at 11- no probs alls well end well etc- they were even playing replays of the Goals wrexham let in on sky sports (amongst other things)

i'll load up photies soon , but need to wind down & think work , sorry Pink shoes lady - just go and read the blog for now . night night

but dunc - i beat my official Blackpool time - by 53 seconds. So Dublin was my fatsest marathon of three this year. Rob is going to be diciplined & reflect on the split times LATER ie tomorrow.

• Options
    Rob - just read your blog I made the same mistake even though I used Lucozade gels I didnt enjoy consuming them and after 2 felt slightly nauseus , will stick to energy drinks in the future although I dont beleive in my heart of hearts it makes the slightest bit of difference , but water sipping YES which is what I did in the first half , took a bottle at first station and sipped until next station then did the same worked for me no cramps , no heavy legs  , no real crisis , just need more mental strength at the 22/23 mark but dont we all
  • Options

... back....

your commitment strenghten mine and eventually i booked the flight / hotel ... unfortunately not the car park so the local taxi firm thanks you all for that image

I arrived in Dublin (much to my suprise!!) - nervous, excited, frightened - i'm not sure how the tummy didn't complain but i suppose the training with fruit flavoured liquid snot helped.  I did the expo & wore my pasta - DOH image  I made my way to Porterhouse to meet Liam, his wonderful OH and Foxy!!  I nervously wandered up and down the bar trying to make it look v obvious that i was looking for somebody ... but nobody claimed me image  Soooooooooo, I restorted to pulling out the green ribbon decked with lucky charms and hung it round my neck - boy did i feel stooopid!!  Then some nutter with English (Manc) accent approached me and asked if i was pink shoes lololol - LIAM!!!! mmwah xx I tried to derobe from the green ribbon thingy and ended up wearing my wine - deja vu!!

• Options
    Rob - even though you probably wont see this til tomorrow I had a sneaky feeling you had bettered Blackpool - So I know work priorities come first , but I will try to pass on my enthusiasm for your next racing / training committment
  • Options

Saturday night was brilliant!!!!!! & a massive thanks to Liam & Adrienne for looking after me & walking me back to hotel

Sunday & Liam invited me to meet up with Woody, Mouse and Dark Vadar at the Expo - what fab people!  Sunday evening I met loads of fantastic people - & a special thanks to Barry K for organising the event (mwahhhhhh to you too image)

• Options
    Pink shoes - Snap at the Expo I laughed when Elaine scattered her Pasta , then someone nudged me ( notice excuse ) and mine skidded off the FLAT plate NOT bowl down my front , its 10 years since I wore pasta with a stain that probably wont come out because of artificial bloody colourings !
  • Options

The big day..................................

I'd conned a work colleague, Chris, into running his first mara at Dublin.  We made our way to the start line quite late as we were only staying about 10 mins away.  Race day nerves had me queueing at the loos (no 1 only!! image) at about 9:08 sbut abandonned all hope of a pre-race wee so needless to say we were pretty much at the back of the Q at the start line.

I was really emotional for the first 400m - i couldn't believe that i was finally here after months of training, injury, procrastination - you name it, i did it!  About 1/2 mile in - I spotted the daffodil - WREXHAM ROB!!!  Wandered over for a brief chat - go, rob, go!

Finally managed to pull over for that much-needed toilet stop at mile 6 after which some random girl latched on to me as her pacer - we stayed together pacing each other for the next 10 miles - not a word exchanged between us lololol - but we shared a camaraderie (???? spelling) which was almost tangible!!  Throughout the first 5 miles i thought that i was running faster than i had anticipated and would end up burning out - by the 10th mile running together (by which point we were at mile 16) i had a renewed confidence that i could actually run the distance at that pace!! - Thank you stranger, you were paramount to my success image

• Options
    lolol Manc Dunc - perhaps we should nudge the organisers about flat plates v bowls!!  I bl**dy hope the stain comes out, it was first time on for that top!!!!!
  • Options
    guess who's not working tomoz btw!!
  • Options
    Pink Shoes - I didnt really connect with anyone running (cos I was too busy trying to push past ) except the crowd , but weirdly the guy that parked behind me the carpark was actually alongside me at the start and he had a beard doodoodoodood it wasnt Jesus but he could have passed for him lol
  • Options

Pink Shoes - your posting is truly inspirational. Well done. There's no stopping you now.

Back in sunny Swansea now.

Enjoyed every minute of my stay in Dublin. The marathon was very friendly, well organised.  the most eventful marathon I have run for sure.

Good to see you at the start Wrexhamrob.  Look forward to seeing photos.

Happy recovery all. 

• Options

At mile 16 my new found friend slowed up and i was left to carry on without her image

At mile 18-19 I thought that my calves were about to snap!!  I joined a couple of guys bouncing on a wall for a minute or so then continued.....  Can't remember who posted about walking being more painful than running but i completely agree!!!!!!!!!!  Plod slowly as its less painful than walking and will get you to the end of the ordeal much quicker!!  It was distressing to run past the front door of my hotel at 24.5 miles image

I tried to spot forumites outside Kennedy's but i think i was completely dillusional by then & i didn't even spot the pub let alone the forumites!!!  But the local support was overwhelming and pushed me on through that last couple of miles. 

As I turned the last corner and trotted home there was that DAFFODIL!!!!!!!!!  Of course I made shouts of support for a fellow forumite - GO, ROB, GO!!  Then I tought, get a spurt on Ange & I picked up the pace and sprinted (???????) home - what's one second between friends eh Rob??????? image

• Options

PK - couldt wind down yesterday , work a bit later on . Similar for both of us new tops requiring Stainmaster treatmnt .

How are your muscles / joints and your time ?

• Options
    Nutty Runner - sorry we didn't get to say Hi on Sunday night - but WELL BL**DY DONE!!!!! <slap on back> - people like you inpire me!!
  • Options
    PK - so spill the beans on last night you know you want to image
  • Options

Manc Dunc - I'm now wearing my kebab too - nice to see that i'm consistent eh??

Time - was about 4:37 along with Wrexham Rob - I was majorily chuffed with the result as i had thought that it would be nice to get appx 5 hrs - so to come in over 20 mins before that was magnificent!!!!!

My mate Chris finished in 3:45 which was out of this world considering that it was his first marathon and he hasn't been able to keep up with his training schedule for the last couple of months!!!! - Well done Chris image

• Options

Excellent time Pink Shoes well done.

Thought I saw you there on Sunday night but wasn't sure if it was you.

Will you be doing Dublin again next year?  Did you enter FLM?  I am doing that.

Take care and have a couple of days off before running again.

Thank you for kind words.  Running is great for everyone and marathons are such great events.   

• Options

Right as far as I'm concerned I'm taking Garmin time as mara time either way I've managed to knock 41 mins off my marathon time this year . next year , who knows ?

PK - You doing Stockport 10 or have I got my lines crossed from a text sent to me

• Options
    this is weird some posts are missing
  • Options

Nutty Runner - sorry we didn't get to say Hi on Sunday night - but WELL BL**DY DONE!!!!! <slap on back> - people like you inpire me!!

• Options
    I looked at my watch today and its lost all my split times. It looks pretty broke to me.  Ah well.... never mind!
  • Options
    Nutty Runner - way to go - I wish I could do that time and stop off for a kebah and the like
  • Options
    Manc Dunc - I'm gonna do the Stockport 10 - but only if fox runs and doesn't marshall image  That really nice young man who completed the mara in 2:34, whose name escapes me and who reckons he's really 39 - said he would marshall in place of Fox lolol
  • Options
    Cheers MD.. Wasn't planned. Would have liked sub 3 but wasn't meant to be. Will try again in London next year.  As I said, was eventful!!!
  • Options
    spilling the beanz - hmmmmmmm lolol - not sure what you mean MD????? <feigns innocence>
  • Options

I wrote tons & tons then some bl**dy hiccup meant that i lost half the post and i've typed so much that i can't be bothered typing it all again image

But excellent post-mara celebrations - i'm sure that i got v drunk, v loud cos i was v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,v,,v tired (they're full stops disguised as commas!!)

I didn't ache as much as expected but my muscles are starting to feel like concrete blocks - I've got post-race massage tomoz (ouch) & hopefully the trek around the fun-fair and bonfire with little Harry this evening would have helped any further stiffening

• Options
    Last message for this marathon post (note pun on words.... eh??) - thank you to each and every one of you for getting me into the marathon runners club - i feel very privileged image
  • Options
    i should have a blog! LOL
  • Options
    PK I feel like a Blog - never had a massage , done a few stretches and tomorrow I'll be fine , w/end have short 5 miler slow