Options

Dublin Marathon - 29th October 2007

Comments

• Options

Just caught up on the messages from the last few days.

My chip time is 4:30:04 , for the last few miles I was aiming for 4:30 after I found some energy from somewhere, as I was walking up most of the inclines after 8 miles.

I had to plough through a number of people in the last half mile, specatators on the road and people stopping to have a picture having some guinness. image

Then when I got back in to England I then had a 90 minute wait for my coach which was extended by another 45 minutes due to an earlier road accident in London plus that coach had to be replaced due to a mechnical issue.

Then based on Liam's NFP nutritional tips, when I got off the local bus (still with my suitcase) I went in to the local chippy to get a large take way.

Might go for a easy run on Friday. 

• Options

Evening folks,

I've just got back after a bit of an eventful day.  Turned up at Dublin Airport and couldn't see a Newcastle departure on the departure board????  Turns out that the change email I got from Aer Lingus actually changed the flight to tomorrow rather than the 5 minutes I made a note of.  Ended up on a flight to Manchester and had to RUN through the airport to make it to the gate in time.  That hurt more than I care to admit.  What should have been a 4 hour journey from hotel to home took 12.  Ryanair wanted €200 to get me on a flight back to Newcastle.  Note to self read emails a bit more carefully in future.

It was lovely to meet up with folks over the weekend.

The race for me was an absolute nightmare.  I never felt right and went through halfway in about 1.54 and finished in 4.51.  My body just shut down over the last half and once I'd walked it hurt too much to run again so I hobbled round.  I think I'm definitely going to be back next year.  This can't be my lasting memory of Dublin.  7 pints of Guinness last night is a much nicer memory image

Well done to everyone who did some great times.  Especially well done to Pink Shoes who would probably like it to be known that she beat me.

Bring on Paris. 

• Options

Sounds like a nightmare Barry. Sleep well mate.

Was good to meet up with you all.

You must do Dublin again.  it wasn't my best but it was a lovely course and very friendly. Might see you there again.

Did anyone do the half? 

• Options
    I did the half.  It's all in Pheonix Park.  2 laps and a little bit more.  About 3000 runners.  Lovely race.
  • Options
    Cheers Barry. Sounds good.
  • Options

Hi Everyone. congratulations on fantastic races to everyone.  Sounds like everyone had a great time and that some had the added bonus of great times!

Was humming and hawing about doing the race next year but having read all the fantastic race reports am now DEFINITELY going to be there next year.

BK, sounds like you'd my half marathon race for the marathon.  Well done on getting round.

Ok ... who's starting the Dublin's great in 08 thread! 

• Options

Nutty..  3:07..??   Total respect..!!   Well done.  image

• Options

Dark Vader - cheers mate. Was aiming for under 3 but had quite an eventful run. if I run next year, I will start with the elite women.  Enjoyed it though. Was great.

Hope you are all recovering well. 

• Options
    I watched the elite womens' start and there were only about 15 runners on it, a handful of whom looked a bit out of place there.  I would imagine it would be a lonely run for someone running 3 hours or so.  Maybe they need to put all women with a sub 3.15 prediction on there to create a bit more of a field like FLM does.
  • Options

How are you today BR?  Hope you got home safely and are recovering well.

When is your next race? 

• Options

Morning all...well done to all finishers...Dublin's great in 08 sounds like a great title!  We'll probably start that in a day or so!  So all the cake is eaten, all the bubbly finished so my diet for the IM (re)starts today...did 7 miles yesterday (and becasue I'm working to HR) it was basically a power walk...it's hard sticking to HR's!!

My sister is doing Dublin next year...i must get her to post here...her online name is Rigor Mortis so if you see her here give her a wave!

• Options

nsc - Having just seen your pictures I've just realised who you were ! We were only a yard apart in the bar but never spoke although I did chat to your Mum and her other half at one point.

BK - Aer Lingus didi a similar thing to me in the summer and changed my return flight from Cork to depart from Dublin instead at a slightly different departure time. I thought the change notification I received was just the change of time until quite near to departure when I read it again carefully.Changed the flight to another airline in the end.

Rob - The pub in question may be the Arden Arms.

If Liam does come over for the Stockport 10 I may have to marshall rather than run as I may not be fit enough to run lol.image 

• Options

What are you implying ?  I don't drink until AFTER the race - Heck, I didn't run on Monday and I still drank water on Sunday image

Have been checking flights etc - Not looking brilliant on fares so far. may have to come over on the Friday and go home Monday - Even with two extra nights in the Travel Inn, it works out cheaper than flights on Saturday and Sunday - Weird wonders of Modern Travel (And thats before they change my flights image....

• Options

Well done to everyone, having got back late last night I skimmed a few emails and then caught up the rest just now, some fab results

Reassuring to read though I wasn't the only one to have another mare, aimed for 4.36 and ran 5.10. Ran with 2 club mates and was dumped at half way after they had run most of the first half ahead of our target time, and started to struggle at 13 onwards with back pain and then my knee at 16. Felt like I had an elastic band which was being pulled tighter and tighter. Hubby was at 19 miles and was my saviour swapping my camelbag for mp3 player, otherwise would have been walking even more of the last few miles. Hubby and clubmates roared at 25 and I ran the whole last mile before my knee seized up altogether. Too late I realised thta my 10 euro note for my guiness was in my camelbag that hubby had, and in my dazed stupor I couldn't find the pub, so sorry to have missed you all.

Whether I will do another remains to be seen, a lot of me said never again, but a little of me still wants to achieve the 4.30 of my dreams, but just for now I'd like to rest and then concentrate on halves and 10ks. Done 3 maras in 54 weeks and that is more than enough for my body for now, off to massage later to see if I can endure another hour of pain in the hope that it helps long term/ Also off to investigate the Stockport race mentioned above somewhere....

• Options

Liam - Just assumed that like the majority of fans you'd be looking to arrive at the ground intoxicated and then drown your sorrows after ! There was of course the famous defence provided for a hoodlum 'In my opinion m'lud you would have to be drunk to watch Stockport County..'

If I did drink and feared letting the club down with a rubbish performance I could of course drop out of the race and marshall but then I would incur the wrath of Pink Shoes !

Does anyone know if Amadues ran on Monday ? There was someone running near me in Pheonix Park who looked a bit like his photograph but I didn't pluck up the courage to ask. Unlike when I asked that girl wandering around the Porterhouse on Saturday night if she was a Runner's World forumiteimage

• Options
    Sorry, Amadues = Amadeus.
  • Options
    Anyone know when & where the photos taken at the end (with the Adidas backdrop) will be available ?
  • Options

F(W)OAR.. as far as I recall wasn't Amadeus going to be wandering round women's boutiques (with his wife of course, ahem) in Stockholm for the weekend?

RB11 - photoes normally take a few days.  Just keep checking the web site. 

• Options

GFB - happy birthday!  sorry for belated wishes image

• Options
    LR - Hope you are right as I will have avoided bothering a total stranger by asking him if he was Amadeus in the middle of a marathon. If I'd read the thread correctly I would probably have known that Amadeus was out of the country at the time !
  • Options

Say cheese forumites.... Photoes are out image

• Options
    Oh Jesus, hate photos of me at the best of times never mind when I'm running.
  • Options

Good Evening all

Hope everyone is pretty much recovered , I 'm now expecting a cold , got a small cold sore on its way , depression round the corner , doom , doom & gloom

On the BRIGHT side entered the Gill Pimblott 5 k 18/11/07 trail and ...... Stockport 10 this is my old hunting ground from years ago when beer, girls , & lunacy was life @ college ,ask FOAR I'm sure he remembers ( perhaps your life hasn'y changed )

Now I feel happier I have a plan - but rest till w/end

Nutty Runner - Its at the back of my mind about FLM and seen lots of charities advertising need to think because I'm commited to Blackpool 08 end of April

Rob - Hope your recovering well and studying is ok , at least its not too physical

Jogging Jon - Hello long time no hear , whats happening

• Options
    Those photos don't show me in the most flattering light image  I've never seen me grimace so much.  Ah well at least the legs are feeling better after my massage this morning.
  • Options
    It seems to me that I'm the only one without a massage , its not fairimage
  • Options
    Mind you its not muscles that are my problem , but toes , dont know why but got a blister under one nail , blister on another nail at the side , but thats gone down now . Who do I see for these ?
  • Options

MD - it is a great event so don't dismiss it straight away.

If you put Dublin marathon photos into Google you can register your name to be notified when photos are available.

Feeling more or less back to normal now.  Was supposed to go for a run earlier but just stayed in bed!

Been for an Indian meal and a couple of glasses of wine. Haven't drunk wine for months so am feeling chilled! 

• Options

thanks NR not dismissed yet but  have already entered for Blackpool so might be pushing it what is the date for flm cos were away end of march /april

I am still not ready to run , but hopefully will be without causing any more damage to the toes

• Options
    Listen to your body MD.  Different people need different lengths of time to recover.  You will soon be back!
  • Options

Boo!!  Also waiting for the totally unflattering marathon photos - never had a good race pic yet

I contacted the local running club last night - gonna go and join on Tuesday night - whooooo hooooo - feel like a 'proper' runner now image

imageMD - I always get blisters around the toes - i think its because i have one falled arch and i turn the other foot outwards so i'm not running with my feet in correct position - so says the physio.  Alternatively - could it simply be that you need bigger shoes?

FOAR - how hilly is Stockport 10?  Assuming that you are running!!!! image

Liam - u got mail!!