Options

Marathon training with Mike Gratton

Comments

• Options
    Proculus, The best use of those extra 3 weeks is to build more endurance, perhaps repeat weeks 6 to 9 before going into the final stage of the training plan.
  • Options
    Taff Boy, Since you were active on your ski break I think you'll get back quickly to your previous level of training within a week to 10 days. Start with easy longish runs then gradually increase the pace as you feel things getting back to previous levels.
  • Options
    Denise, I think you need to see a physio with a good sports background as I don't think ignoring it will help the situation. It is essential that you find the cause more than getting remedial treatment so you can start to eliminate the chance of it becoming chronic. It may not be the end of your running so don't lose faith.
  • Options
    Mike, sound advice.Thank you.
  • Options
    hi mike im not actually training for the marathon, 10 and 5ks are what i will be racing this year currently sub 55 for 10k sub 24 for 5k im curently doing 3 runs ie 1 long run 1 hour 30
    i fast/tempo club run 1hour-90 mins
    1 interval session of 4-5 mile repeats

Would love to eventually go sub 45 10 k and sub 20 for 5 k any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Mike, Thanks for the advice!

Proculus
  • Options
    Hi Mike. I'm in my late fifties and training for the FLM using my Garmin 301 to help me. Over the years that I've been running my maximum heart rate has decreased and my pace has slowed. Does the former necessarily lead to the latter or can good training offset this effect or even increase the max heart rate? Is the decline inevitable?!
  • Options
    Is it just me, or was last Tuesday's 14 x 2 mins uphill (the RW sub-3 hr schedule) quite a big ask? I can get people to train with most of the time, but on Tuesday mysteriously everyone had a prior engagement. Still, did them on my own and feel pretty chuffed ;¬}
  • Options
    CB2, To get the leg speed needed to make the improvement you will need to do some work fast than 10km speed and some faster than 5km speed. The standard (and stock) track sessions would be 10 to 12 x 400m at 5km pace with 90sec recovery, 12 to 15 x 300m at 3km pace with 100 jog recovery and even some short fast bursts at PB mile pace.
  • Options
    EC, The decline in Max HR is inevitable but good training will slow the decline - this is why the standard calculation for determining Max HR is 220-age. However, the effect can be offset if you're fitness continues to improve your resting HR, thus maintaining the working HR range.

It does depend a bit on how many years you have been training and at what level. A new runner can continue to improve cardio efficiency for many years - maybe 5 to 8 - if the training load is gradually increasing year on year and cheat the aging process.

If you have been running for many years and have already reached what could be a high level of training volume then you are likely to plateau and then start to loose pace with age.

To complicate things, some loss of pace could be due to loss of power in the muscles which happens with age and you may get some gains by doing a little less volume and picking up quality and by doing some work with weights.
  • Options
    Sorry, Last reply was to Caryl.

EC, well done for getting on with the hill session - it's a tough session, but then sub-3 marathon won't happen by accident.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response, Mike. I have been running for over 14 years but I have never been fast. However, I am definitely slowing down so probably beyond the plateau you mention. But I'll try and improve the quality to maintain fitness as much as I can. I'm aiming for sub 4:15 in London to get "good for age" as I did last year.
  • Options
    Hi Mike

First appologies for mis spelling your name on the other forum. I have asked fellow runners advice on this and had some good feed back. I wondered what your opinion is. I am running the Anglesey marathon in September (my first), but I am on holiday in Egypt weeks 2 & 3 before the marathon. Although I will be tapering, I should still run 18 & 10 miles on the Sundays I am away. The general feeling is that its not a good idea to run alone out there (no partner), but i will have access to a treadmill. Is there a way of incorporating the longs runs somehow into the other days? Do you have any suggestions for my training schedule weeks 2 & 3 prior to the race please?
  • Options
    Hi Mike...I am new to this forum. I am training for my first FLM and have my first race this Sunday which is a Half Marathon. I have continued to train as I would normally during the week and just use Sunday as a normal training run.
    When it comes to nearer the time, please could you recommend when I should taper my long runs and what training if any I should do in the last week?
    I currently run 55-60 miles a week with my long run on a Sunday being up to 18 miles at the moment. I also 2 RPM classes at the gym in the week, the only day I take off is a Saturday.
  • Options
    mike, have had problems with ITB since 20.5m on Sunday- havent been able to run since. had elbow and knuckles in it last night and will try a 30 min easy run today to test it. guy who did sports massage reckons i should stay at running no more than 5m at a time for another week. I have been following RW ultimate 3.30 so been running 50-55m over 6 days previously.

Do u think going back to schedule next week is too soon? Am going insane not being able to run and can feel 3.30 target slipping away....
  • Options
    GQ, I'd agree it is probably not safe to run on your own in Egypt and the timing isn't brilliant, but you can get by if you do a crash programme of higher than usual training for the week or 10 days before you go, then tick over while you are there doing what you can on the treadmill. I wouldn't worry too much about long runs in those 2 weeks and go for quality on the treadmill - either run for 20 to 30 mins at thresold pace or intervals at a faster pace for 60 sec to 2mins.

I had a similar problem before the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane in 1982. I had to travel with the England team a couple of weeks before the games and 3 before the marathon and it was time when I would normally be doing the last hard speed work. So I raced 5 times in the three weeks before travelling and crashed some extra work in just before travel. I then backed off once we got to Brisbane and spent time getting over jetlag and climatising.

I came away with a PB 2.12.06 and the bronze medal.
  • Options
    CD2, I think it is fine to train through this half marathon, but it would be worth doing another one at the end of March and use a mini-taper so that you are rested for it and have a better chance of getting the kind of result that will give you an indicator of form for FLM.

I don't believe in too long a taper - most schedules talk about 3 weeks. Instead I believe in a shift in the training from long steady runs to short faster runs so that you fine tune.

If your long run is usually 18 miles do the last one 3 weeks before FLM, reduce it to 12/13 miles two weeks out and around 8 on the last Sunday before. Reduce the volume of your other training and concentrate more on running at 10km pace and even up to 3km into the last week (not every session, make sure you have easy days for recovery). In the last week train fairly normally until Wed. then reduce training to 20mins a day, maybe take Friday off when you kick in the carbohydrate loading (more on that closer to the time) and finish with a 15 min jog on Sat. so you can visualise running and finishing the race.
  • Options
    gymfreak, Feed yourself back in gradually and take the advice of your masseur to keep it down for now and use his massage to release the ITB. A bit more time now to clear it will mean less pain later if it doesn't clear up.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, I feel better about the whole thing now. :)
  • Options
    Is this for me Mike - CD2?
    Thanks for the advice that's really helpful. I think I will do the Stafford Half Marathon on the 25th March, 1 week after the Ashby 20.
    I wasn't going to train after Wednesday though!?
  • Options
    Yep, sorry, I mean't CM2. I think the half a week after the 20 is a bit hard and risks prolonged tiredness from the effort involved, is there anything you can do on 1 April - doesn't have to be a half, maybe 10miles/10km.
  • Options
    Hi Mike did 18 mile on sunday i am down for the blackpool half marathon 25 feb as part of my training so will it be okies to go back to long run the following sunday hopefully will do two ten milers during the week after half marathon i am 55 never run with a group and just do the best i can never been really fast but was pleased with my 18 miles on sunday as i did it in 3 hours 1 min if i remain injury free do u think i will be able to complete flm in under 4.15 also how long does the longest run have to be to get u round flm at the moment i am puting in an average of 35/40 miles a week over three sesions
  • Options
    MB2, You are doing enough already to get you around FLM and don't think you need to increase your long runs at all. This kind of endurance work is giving you the best foundation you can have to run your 4.15, which looks to me to be entirely possible.

I think closer to the marathon you will probably find that you can go further in your 3hrs and will probably get up to around 20 miles or so....that's plenty.

You should play it by ear after the half marathon. You should have 3 or 4 easy days then try one of the 10 milers that you planned, if it goes OK and theres no residual soreness from the race then you will be OK for your long run the following Sunday. If you still feel a bit sore or generally tired cut back to 2hrs - it's still a long run and will still build up your endurance.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, I shall look at something else. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Mike. Hi. I'm 48 years old, female. Doing first marathon (Edinburgh in May ) for 25 years. Pbs 2005 10K 41.26 5K 20.44 Half 1.38 I dont feel I'm being unrealisitc at getting a 3.45 at Edinburgh. training is going well ,no injuries, niggles etc. mileage averaging 45/week. Longest run (fortnightly) 20 miles in 2.54. how many rest days should i be having a week. I'm concerned that the training schedules do not allow for the older runner who may need more rest days.
  • Options
    Hi Mike. Would like some advice on running in very hot, humid conditions. I'm 30, female and training for my second marathon (Taunton, 1st april). Ran my first in Oct 06 at 4:07 so v much want to go sub-4. I'm following Hal Higdon's Advanced 1 programme. I live in Tanzania for much of the year and can't run outside so do all training on my own treadmill. Was fine last year as was dry season, but now weather is extremely hot (35-40 degrees) and humid, even in evenings. I lose pints of water through sweat and long runs (am up to 20 miles) leave me drained for days. Any advice on this? No shops selling sports drinks here unfortunately!
  • Options
    A couple more questions,Mike...

1) In a couple of weeks time I'm doing a 10k on a Sunday morning, but want to make the distance up to at least 18ml. I'll probably count a 2-3ml warm-up, then do the extra miles afterwards. Should I try to keep on running straight after the race for it to count as one run ? If I changed/went to the race HQ/faffed for a while when does it cease to be one run ?

2) My legs, quads, psoas etc all feel much stronger for my recent weight training. Should I be consciously thinking about using them harder when I run, or will the benefit come automatically ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Hello Mike. I wonder if you could give me some advice please.
    I have run 5 marathons in all but this is the first time I have got in the FLM. My previous times are 3:31.57, 3:35.35, 3:22.23, 3:16.46, 3:19.04, the last of these was last October. All of these races I entered by training without following a schedule.I just ran one long and one tempo a week with the occasion interval.All of these I did when I felt fit and able, I decided more or less what I would do(except for the long runs)just before I left the house. The last three marathon I have aimed for a sub3.15 so this year I thought that I would follow a schedule-Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas 70 miles a week which I have cut to 60 miles, which makes it about 15 miles a week more than I trained last year.
    My probles is:-I am running slower than I did this time last year, my tempo runs are about 15 secs a mile slower and they are run hard,not "comfortably hard". I have just started the speed pase of the schedule and my intervals are also about 15 sec a mile slower. I am doing longer midweek runs than I did last year. I averaged 7 miles midweek but now it is between 11 and 15 miles. I think I read somewhere that the extra miles would start to show the benfits by now. I also read that miles make champions, that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.
    I am tempted to revert to one of the RW schedules that have speed work almost from the word go. Or do you thnk that I should persevere and that eventually it will all come together?
    I know that you would need more details to give the correct answers but any help would be much appreciated-after 10 weeks I thought that I would start to feel strong, but the opposite seem to be the case.
    Many thanks
    John.
  • Options
    Molly, We are all different and you need to build in the rest days as you feel you require them. Some runners can run twice a day every day with no problems, others may find they need to take complete days off - it depends on experience and training intencity as well as age and environment (home/work/travel or other stress).

It is better to plan them than to be forced to take them. From experience work out which sessions take longest to recover from and build in rest or easy days around them.
  • Options
    Zaz, even if there were shops selling sports drinks I think you would struggle...hot and humid is about the worst weather for endurance events. It is possible to acclimatise a little, but you will still sweat a lot and that is the danger. You probably need to take a few days off after long runs to get rehydrated and then concentrate on quality on your treadmill. Having said that, two of my big competitors of the 80's came from Tanzania, Shehanga was Commonwealth Games marathon champ in 1978 and later ran 2.09 to win Vienna Marathon and Ikangaa was silver medalist in 1982 (ahead of me in 3rd) and went on to win New York in 2.08.

They would have been more used to the conditions of course.