Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options

(i suppose i am not dead yet)
  • Options
    Some people get away with it for ever. Lucky buggers!

But others have the odds stacked against them.
    Sobvious.
  • Options
    Sharkie

Bernard has smoked, except for trying a school and thinking it was horrible and a waste of money. He does not drink either.

I have never smoked, but do like the odd glass of wine etc.

Hippo

You eat proper food not processed food, which has to be a lot better for you. I probably spend more money on meat, as I try not to buy the less fatty stuff.

We are having oak smoked bacon chops tonight with rice and vegtable, Bernard will have his baked beans. Need to my some more stir fry veg for him.
  • Options
    hm, sometimes i do tracey
  • Options
    Tracey
    Never smoked either of you - that's brilliant. I bet you're a pretty healthy family. Your kids look just fabulous. They are a credit to you.

I will just say one more thing about the green and red and yellow and purple things. They look so pretty. As well as everything else it's a matter of aesthetics to me - I do like my food to look as good as it tastes and smells.
  • Options
    very true
    thats why i dont like mushroom rissotto

Its kinda

grey

Driving lesson then gym

I might even dig out my HRM
  • Options
    Hipps
    mmm know what you mean about mushrooms - they are delicious but can turn into a grey sludge with rice. My friend does an amazing open tart with mixed wild mushrooms and filo pastry that still manages to look fabulous, but she is half French half German and learnt these skills at her mother's knee. I tell a lie - it's pretty easy really.

Good luck with the driving lesson. 5 gold stars to you for doing it. It's something else I Need To Get Round To. I didn't learn to drive till my late thirties - passed my test, bought a car, mainly so I could cart amps and guitars and other musical stuff around. But then i stopped playing, couldn't be bothered using the car for anything else - cycling is so much the better option in central London - and hence lost all confidence in my newly aquired driving skills.

There is no way I would drive now without doing a refresher course.

Have a nice time at the gym. I imagine that IS a possibility...

xx sharkie
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi hearty eaters.

Kazz - I'll be interested to hear what you think of your course. I'm doing Human Biology (SK277), which includes nutrition. It's interesting but not nearly enough emphasis on individual variation. Mustn't get started on that one...

Tracey - I bet Bernard eats mashed potatoes? You can slip some other veg in with those - he'll never notice. Baked beanz is better than nowt.

Mr C is like sharkie - loves veg but not keen on fruit. I could eat nothing but, especially the tropical sort heavy with air miles. Papaya, mangoes, custard apples... and of course bananas. Probably my fave taste of all is coconut, which I put in nearly everything, sweet or savoury.

I would be ok on a desert island.

And I need all that f&v to "go" once a day. Always constipated on hols.

sharkie - I'm amazed you ever sleep after all that coffee. One espresso and I am wired for the next 24 hours. Love it but try to make it an occasional treat.

One thing I notice: you don't eat much in the evenings. That's my big failing. After a certain time, about 8-9pm, I just eat until bedtime.

YES!! to vinegar with everything.

And mackerel, grilled with tamarind and lemon juice. Or smoked mackerel mashed up with lemon juice and yogurt.

I LOVE driving and never get bored with it. Great for focusing the mind. However many times you do the same routes you can always improve your skills.

Must be lunchtime...
  • Options
    Chouette
    You can't eat that much after 8pm - you must be the most petite person on the forums! Not skinny - you just look tiny but great. I have noticed that once past 50 it IS more of a challenge to stay slim though - have you? I do eat loads - but I also move around a lot and at least the no driving means more walking. Also, as we've both said before - increased strength, ie from resistance training means MORE FOOD. Hurrah! (PS I love cheese too - I think good bread - no butter, cos good bread is good enough without it - and any fab cheese is one of the all time greats. It's my holiday breakfast of choice. Had it every morning in Paris recently for instance. I managed to eat half a loaf of walnut bread throughout one day... what do I mean 'managed' it was a cinch!

How was the African dance yesterday? I am envious, haven't done any dancing - bar round my living room to loud music - for ages. And I do so love it. There are contemporary dance classes for adults here in Hastings, I am seriously tempted...

HRM
    The saga continues. I'm such a dimmy! Of course <70 means under 70.
    Oh help, client arriving for meeting v.soon and I have to have LUNCH first...

PS - I liked driving but never got enough practice round London to build my confidence up. I can cycle round Hyde Park Corner with ease but drive round it I could not. Well not without a hideous mass pile up scenario.
  • Options
    Ran a speed-interval sesh at lunchtime.
    Included clocking a Half-Mile PB of 3:35.
    Intend to do this same sesh once a week for the next 4 weeks as part of build-up to a 10-Mile race, but I will probably run 1M, 2M and 3M/5k time-trials along the way, so look out for me going sub-25mins SOON...
    :o)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have been pc-less all day, but now all is band-aided and better. But it has taken me ages to read all my threads!

I was going to report on my daily food consumption, but it will have to wait now until tomorrow, all the pages on lovely food has made me hungry and I need to get dinner ready now.
  • Options
    I was going to go to my running club, but my knee does not feel 100%. I will go out tomorrow morning and run at a pace that I will feel comfortable with. If I go to my club I will end up running too fast.
  • Options
    Dear all,

I've now completed 4 weeks as a 'runner'... and I AM LOVING IT!! I check out this thread every day to see what gems of wisdom I can glean! You all help to motivate me so thank you!

Monday's (long!) run was 8.2km in 55 minutes. 2 minutes faster than the week before. I seem to be getting quicker every time I go out yet my average heart rate is decreasing on every run. It was 177 average in week 1 - now down to 162 average!! I think this is called fitness!

Also, I've been taking my blood pressure readings every few days since I started running (as it was quite high last year due to illness). It has fallen from about 140/90 to an average of 123/81 in just 4 weeks. Isn't the body an amazing thing?

On Wednesday I did my first ever speed work. Hard work isn't it!!! I think I enjoyed it but have not yet decided! I did 10 minutes gentle then 6 x 30 seconds with a minute recovery between. Followed by 10 minutes gentle. Will go to 8 x 30 next Wednesday per the schedule.

I'm not going to run 5km for a couple of weeks and see if I can improve on the 30:14 that I ran last week after I increase the longer runs and do some speed work. I so want sub-25!!

I'm going to do the 8.2km route tomorrow then a long run of 9 or 10k on Monday - the longest run of my life!

Anyway, I hope you will all continue to inspire this newbie as you have been doing!

Good luck in your training over the next few days.

Paul

• Options
    Hey Paul, glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Keep it going!!!! ;o)
  • Options
    Daz
    3.35 for the half mile sounds useful. I assume you were running long rather than short intervals. I see from your profile that you've been running for 5-10 years. Seasoned veteran! What position do you play in footie? I somehow imagine you're a central defender - don't know why!

PR999
    I'm not sure how motivating we've been recently. Seem to think we've been rabbiting on (how apt) about food and I've been wailing about my non-functioning HRM. You, however, are doing fantastically well. Running 9 or 10k after only 4 weeks training sounds like going some to me. You are following a schedule which probably gives sensible times and targets - I'm assuming it is for a beginner but will is tailored for a fittish mid thirties bloke rather than a middle aged lady like myself! I think we all try to hit that balance between working hard enough to improve and not over stressing the various systems. However it doesn't sound as if you are overdoing things as your heart rate and blood pressure are both steadily improving.

So good luck with your longest ever run. I have never run further than 8 miles, but some of the people here - Plodding Hippo for example - well take a look at her profile. She is Our Lady of the Miles.

Hi Kaz - how's this week going?

Tracey.
    Bit worried about your knee. Is it still problematic? Sensible not to go on the overfast club run - and it sounds like you could do with a good night's sleep. I have sent in entries for LFOTM March, April and May. Eek!
  • Options
    I aint gonna post any motivatin posts

but

I will be back

pah

you wait till I can RUN
  • Options
    Hippolina
    Don't think I could motivate one of Pavlov's dogs. I would probably say err well do what you want to do it depends I'm not sure but could be this could be that etc etc.

Someone, ie you, ran a 5k less than a week ago to the delight of a select gang. The fact you were injured didn't delight us. But you do. You always do.
    xxxxx
  • Options
    but
    sharkie

the doggs dont NEED motivatin

show em the race -and they dribble

cant help it

Thank you though

xxxxxx

when I am fit

grrrrrrrrr

oh yes, I will be back
  • Options
    Re Pavlovs Dogs,
    Just in case you think I'm a Thick Mancie Chav. I know your not a fan of small chavs.
    It was a not-very-good joke.
    I was going to say I couldn't motivate a currant bun or a wet lettuce then I realised no-one could...

so I thought of something that didn't need motivation.
    Oh lawks
    I must stop trying to be funny

it will end in tears.
  • Options
    dribles on floor non specifically

sorrry
  • Options
    Hey ho Hipps
    You will be back,
    you will be fit

and you know what Scarlet O'Hara says...
  • Options
    oh i DO

scuse me

must get me things on

YES

TOMORROWQ<A HREF="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=97804&last=1&V=6&SP=">OTR Thread</A>

eh b;iddy hel, I have done a link
  • Options
    ahem

look, it just happened

Tomorrow

FLOUNCE

is

aniother DAY

I am a bit worried cos itseesms to have done mad links an all)
  • Options
    ok, it seems to be fine now

you wait you lot

I am a comin back

when I can run
  • Options
    I'm fine sharkie. Just been a bit mad this week.
  • Options
    So, me:
    6.5 this afternoon. Weather was lovely, felt fine after the two sea front 8 milers of Tues and Weds so went for the hilly country lanes type run. Some quite challenging bits including stone steps but it went orlright. So the week is top loaded nicely now as the next few days could be tricky.

Managed some press ups and abs this morning, but I'm annoyed that I have let the resistance stuff slide a bit.

Doubletreblebollocks WHY is there never enough time!
    'sokay it's just a rhetorical.
  • Options
    sharkie - my "intervals" route goes:
    QM warm-up (inc strides)
    QM fast, HM slow
    HM fast, QM slow
    0.2M Hill (rep 2 or 3 times), QM slow
    HM fast, QM slow
    QM fast, QM stagger to finish.
    so a bit of a mixture really.
    I also brought my hill-rep PB down from 1:28 to 1:24 :o)

I've been running 5 1/2 yrs, so only just made it into the 5-10 category - sounds good though, doesn't it!?
    I only started entering races, and doing things like speed-work, hill-work etc about 18 months ago though.

Right-Back/Central Defender - How did you guess?!

• Options
    Sharkie - I'm not sure I'd have described myself as a fittish mid-thirties bloke when I started but I was pretty hopeless to be honest. I am running 15 minutes more than the schedule says at the moment for my longer run but being careful to listen to my body so as not to over-do it. The schedules were ranked from 1 (virtually dead!?) to 10 (elite athlete?). I chose level 2 as I still had a pulse!

I think I get motivation from here because I know a whole group of you facing the same sorts of things I am... we all faced the snow together, we all have worries about injuries and we all have busy lives yet are tring to juggle whilst still getting our runs in (hey, listen to me talking like I've been doing this forever!!?).

Also, knowing what times you are all capable of gives me something to aim for. Whilst I like the solitude of running on my own, it's nice to feel there are people out there who have stuff in common with me. Thank you all.

Both you and Daz have done hill runs in the few days? Since I was a kid, I've always said 'I'd love to run up that!' whenever I saw a good hill. I still say it... just didn't have the fitness to do it. It's flat where I live but I'm looking forward (in a few weeks) to driving out and running on some undulating ground. Is it as vomit-inducing as I imagine it will be? Also, am I warped for looking forward to this quite as much as I am?

Paul
  • Options
    And one day i will get a link right too