Options

Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Helllooooo

Daz hope the knee improves

After a crap 2011 555 miles which was worse than 2010 i'm back on track have a now 17 month 10k plan thats the main goal but lots to get to on the way so wil be back 5k'ng.

need to get back under 25 and beyond benchmark race next Friday i'm not even going to think about what time i'll do just run it and see

nice to see this thread back  image

• Options

Ockham - it's like you're reading my mind - I also am planning a 5-Miler in early April...

Pammie* - good to have you back also image - never heard of a 17 month training plan before! image

despite my low-mileage December, 2011 continued my trend of ever-increasing Annual Mileage, totalling 1667M, up from 2010's 1477M image

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Daz - not ONE plan but in 17 months i'll be 45 so a few thyings i want to achieve by then
  • Options

Since my first post I have done three further Park Runs. 20:36 at Hyde Park in Leeds, 21:20 at Bradford (following Christmas!) and 21:04 at Bradford. Should go under 21:00 minutes next time I run.

I have added a speed session or two to my weekly rota now. Have done some intervals and some tempo sessions. Pretty sure I will get to that 20:00 mark by the summer. Looking forward to my first 10k race of the year at the end of February.

My plan is something like:

Sun - 6-10 miles easy

Mon - rest or intervals

Tues - club run, generally 3-6 miles

Wed - intervals or tempo

Thurs - club run, 3-6 miles

Fri - rest

Sat - ParkRun or rest

Most weekdays contain 1-2 miles uphill cycling. I am also attempting to get to the gym for strength sessions twice a week.

• Options

Hi Pammie, checked my milage, for 2010 866 miles and for 2011 1,086 miles, so about 20 miles a week. Thought it was going to be less than that. Next year is a big year for me, half century and the targets are: under 20 mins for 5km and 90 mins for a half.

Ewan, well done on getting nearer to 20 min 5k. Not sure if I will be attempting 5ks this year.

• Options

Went on to Run Britain website and added my details to the National Handicap Ladder. In order to raise my handicap by 0.1 I need to go under 24:30 for my next 5k... should be do-able I think based on the fact that I'm aiming for 20:59!

Haven't done a ParkRun for a couple of weeks due to really busy weekends. Not sure if I wil be going the next couple of weeks either.

• Options

Hi Ewan! image
    your typical week looks absolutely ideal for 5k training, sub-20 this year I reckon image (no pressure!)

yesterday I did my first few tentative km reps for a few months
    managed to average around 4:38 pace, which is fairly pants as I was getting down to about 4:10ish at my best at the end of last summer
    hopefully I will speed back up fairly quickly though... image

• Options

"so called" speed sesh this lunchtime
    horrifyingly slow image
    couldn't actually turn my legs over fast enough to get out of breath!
    think any fast-twitch muscles I used to have have gone into hiding!
    will be a few months before I get anywhere near 5k PB readiness...

...meanwhile, I've got Wrexham Village Bakery Half M@r@ next weekend
    haven't trained properly for that either, but will be interesting to see how close to PB I can get... image

• Options

Afternoon

Hi Daz  know the feling give it time but not as long as you think

Best of luck next weekend

Did my 5k last month (27th) watchless/Garminless/didn't even look at the sun lol

Anyhow finished in 27:35 me bad but know i'll get back there still in base mode but added some M-pace work Schhhh but i'm not training for one its 10ks or 5ks at the mo. But apparently this is a good session Daniels suggests building up to an hours worth every other week the other week will be threshold/reps

• Options

dropped my Half M@r@ PB by a staggering 75 seconds to 1:52:10 image

I was still on for sub-1:50 at 10M, but pace dropped away somewhat in 11th & 12th Miles

knee seems to be a lot better, so hopefully can now start to mingle some regular shorter/faster stuff into my training
    (although atm that is mostly focused on the 40 Mile Four Inns Walk event at the end of March image )

• Options

Well done Daz.

If you managed to do the shorter route (pranksters) you would have knocked off a few more minutes.image

My race is in a few weeks time and training has been dismall. Had a week out because of work.

• Options

hi ,

new on here  . 

started doing Parkrun in Bexley and so far PB is 21.43  . 

aiming for sub 20 for the summer  . I am more a cyclist , but I run to work 2 or 3 times a week , 5km every time  . it is at 7 am , so no motivation to do intervals  at that time  .  

• Options

Welcome cchris2lou! image

that's an excellent time considering no intervals image

can't you speed up a bit between odd lamp-posts? image

a slightly longer run at the weekend would help too...

• Options

Thanks  , I have a garmin 305 so will be looking to do some intervals at some stage  .

often run a 10km at the week end   . biggest issue is my weight but slowing getting there . 

• Options

Welcome Chris - i would love your time

Yes good to run further than 5k all the time just musn't make all the runs  the same Fartlek is good as Daz describes and isd brilliant as an introduction to the faster stuff. Keep at it as the weight shifts it will get you moving quicker

Coo-eee Daz *waves*

• Options

*waves back to Pammie** Afternoon lass image

this lunchtime did 6x1k with 2min walk recoveries
    averaged about 4:30
    6 months ago I was down to about 4:10, so need to keep banging in these interval sessions image

• Options

21.57 this morning  , gutted I could not beat my pb .

really need to starts running intervals in the week . 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Chris keep training smart and consistently and you'll get there

Today i measure a near enough 5km locally and just ran at a good clip. In 29 minutes as this was a solo run happy with that

nice one Daz

• Options

got a big target event on Saturday (Grindleford Gallop)
    so this lunchtime did only 2x2k
    averaged 4:34/km
    prior to my 5k PB back in Jul'11 I did a 3x2k sesh averaging 4:24, then PB'd at 4:22 pace
    so bit more work to do, but getting there I think... image

• Options

felt tired this week , so only 2 * 5km to work .

had  good mtb ride last night , so hoping for a good time sturday . 

• Options

Hey folks,

A fortnight ago, with my PB at 24:44 I decided on an ambitious plan to run sub 23:00 tomorrow, my training has been:

Week1

Tue - 6 x 400m intervals (crashed and burned after 3, was running at 3:36min/km; too fast!)

Thu - 1200m 800m 400m 800m 1200m Pyramid (1200s@4:52, 800s@4:20, 400@4:00)

Sat - 5k Tempo run @Parkrun ave 4:54min/km which actually gave me a new PB of 24:32

Week2 

Mon - 6 x 400m intervals @3:48min/km

Wed - 23min Tempo run @4:51min/km

I'm going to have a swim tonight then go for it tomorrow, should be interesting to see how I do and if I crash and burn.  I haven't found time for long runs image

• Options
    Daz my big race is this Sunday. Last year it was a two circuit flattish course. Now it is a one lap course with two hills. Should still beat your time.image
  • Options

new pb today , 21.20 .

was fine till 4km where i collapsed big time before recovering for the last one  . 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Well done Chris that is quite a chunk you took off image
  • Options
    Got 23:33 in the end, 3rd and 4th Ks were a bit slow.
  • Options

Great weather for the half done yesterday. North Hill and Ipswich Road were not as hard as I thought they were going to be and kept on running up them, normally walk in training. I kept pace till 16km or ten miles. On course for 95 minutes. Legs got very tired so had to run the last three miles slower and ended with a pb under 98 minutes. A slight hill from Langham to Boxted caused me a problem and nearly had to walk up it. Lack of distance training.

A new pb of 01:37:43 and shaved a minute of last years time. So in all very happy. I would have been happy with a time of 01:40

• Options

Wahey! this thread seems to be kicking into gear now that spring is er.. springing!

Welcome JLB3  image
    and Congrats to you and cchris2lou for sub-25 PBs imageimage - just what we like to see!

and Congrats to Ockham on a fab HalfM@r@ PB image
    when might you be turning to 5k (or 5M or 10k) do you think...?

at lunchtime I did 6x1k with 2min rest recoveries:
    4:15, 4:22, 4:25, 4:22, 4:27, 4:16
    so about 4:21 average
    this is a good improvement on the 4:30 average in the same session 2 weeks ago, so might attempt a 5k soon... image

• Options

Hi Daz, 5M booked for Good Friday. Think I will let my son beat me by 2 minsimage. 5km probably May  and will look at doing a 10k this year as I did not do one last year.

My left leg is still killing me from Sunday. Very stiff, need to walk half a mile before it frees up and then when I sit back down again it gets stiff.

• Options

not so good this saturday , 22.12 . friday nigh curry and beers did not help .

missing the next 3 parkruns but hopefully plenty of training  .