Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options

Hi  you all seem to be doing great in your training, some very fast times. Patrunner the pier to Pier race is a fantastic race and good one for a fast time. 

I was injured last year so I had to pull out of the Amsterdam marathon but went over to watch my friends run, this year I am running the marathon and have done a 19 mile and 20 mile and a 22 last weekend and I am hoping to do a 20 mile in the morning, and then taper off.

Really looking forward to it as we are going over on the Friday and going back on the Tuesday.

• Options

Bu99er.

Taper enforced a week early image

During LSR yesterday had what felt like a bit of cramp in left calf. Carried on etc etc. Bit stiff today, described symptoms to a doc, possible grade 1 tear in calf. Only 2-3 days rest, ice etc, but there goes my plans of one more LSR before AMsterdam. Should be ok for last race next saturday tho

• Options
    Musketeer - I'm city of Bath, or as we are now unfortunately known, Teambath AC
  • Options
    Bad luck Dave A. Doesn`t sound too bad and given your training to date shouldn`t really make any difference to your marathon. Don`t overdo it in the race. Would have thought it would be all to easy to re-injure the calf. Funnily enough I pulled my left calf on a  15 miler the other day. Still q sore but hopefully if I avoid fast work for a few days it will resolve.
  • Options

DaveA,

I second what Beetle said - your training has been going very well and from memory you've more than enough miles in the bank, so you'll still cruise home.  I pulled my left hamstring 2 weeks before FLM 2006.  It was bad enough that I couldn't walk without pain.  A couple of physio sessions and some very gentle cycling once I had the all clear and I was able to finish pretty close to target time.  Take it easy but do get it looked at if you're in any doubts.

• Options

I've consulted in the loosest of terms with a doctor.

Well, I've spoken to Cabletow from the Fetch site, explained how it happened and the exact feelings, symptoms etc that I have, and he assures me that I should be ok in a couple of days as long as I don't run. I can swim and I can walk so I'm happy and it does feel to have improved overnight. Targetting tomorrow for a swim after work and Monday/Tuesday for a jog.

I've had calf strains before, worse than this, and generally after 2-3 days it's fine. Just a bitr pi55ed off as its close to Marathon time and I fancied another 20 miler before taper.

• Options

Just got back from doing the Borehamwood 1/2 & it has to be the strangestest run I've ever done. There were little over 200 doing it and it wasn't on closed roads which led to me being hit by a car wing mirror and having my water bottle knocked out of my hand!! Lot's of swearing at the driver, who was in the wrong & didn't even stop, but it seemed to fire me up and I managed to knock 10 minutes off my 1/2 pb to 1.34.05! I'm still in shock I managed to run that fast as I've had a cold all week and was contemplating not doing it at 2am last night!

Windsor cancellation was a silver lining as this smaller field enabled a much faster run and a massive confidence boost before the 21st....

I hope everyone else has had a good weekend.

come on!

Dave

• Options

I Just wanted to share this .......

I Had a realy bizzar run last night. As I was unable to do my long training run this morning I decided that I woud do a long Saturday evening run for a change, I decided on my route but due to a chain of events I went out a little later than planed. Oh well I had planed my route so set out at around 6ish with a head a torch as I knew it would be dark before I would get back, at about 7.10 I found myself running along a very long path that ran through a very large wooded area,a long way from civilisation, the track ran for about 3 miles and was pitch black in places so I could just make out the track in the light from my torch.

As I couldn't see that well my ears and imagination took over, There are some very big animals running around in the woods in the dark!!!!

I must have run that streach at sub 10k pace!!!

I dont think I have ever been more pleased to see a road at the end of it, even so it was still some 30min before I found a street light.

I dont think I will be doing that again for a while!!

• Options

Sheets - probably just a fox or two or maybe some rabbits (big girls blouse).

22 or so miles for me yesterday (undulating/hilly) on tired legs (quads and knees very sore towards the end) - intend to repeat the same run next Sunday. Lack of quality miles means the best I can hope for on marathon day is a steadily paced run - aim to get round in one piece and just enjoy the experience.

• Options

Calf has recovered. Had a "gentle" 7 miler yesterday. Aim was to do it at LSR pace, so around 7:30mm average, which I did, for the 1st mile. Relaxed after this and ended up doing it at 6:57 average pace, whcih was maybe a bit daft, but felt good and effortless.

I will try and run steady away later, I promise.

• Options
    A good couple of weeks running for me, 22 miles done on saturday which felt very comfortable. last long run for me will be friday or sunday, then in to taper. Most of the hard works done now so really starting to look forward to race day.
  • Options

First post on here so bare with me.

This will be my first Marathon and the training was going well until my first 15 miler after which I've developed a problem with my knee linked to a tight IT band.

Haven't runanythign longer than a 10km for nearly a month now due to physio and getting used to orthotics. What are peoples thoughts on the need to taper if I'm building up the mileage again over the next few weeks?

• Options

AD - that's bad luck - sounds as if you've done well just to keep going (I know what it's like going out running on sore knees - in my case caused by over-tight quads and ITBs).

Imho three weeks is a very short time to build back up to full marathon distance - too short a time really and you risk depletion and further injury if you attempt this. You're also likely to have a very short taper (if any at all). The sensible option would be to switch to running the half marathon (but when were most runners renowned for being sensible?).

If you do decide to go for the full marathon I think most would agree that you really ought to have got at least one 20 miler under your belt and to have run this not too near to marathon day (to allow sufficient time for rest, replenishment and recovery). Again imho you absolutely must have got the ITB and the knee sorted out (it's not a good idea to attempt the full marathon if you're still carrying an injury - speaking from experience here).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Bad luck. 

Graham is right.

You don`t say whether your orthotics have sorted your problem.

Even if they have, that`s not a guarantee that you`re fit (injury-wise and basic fitness wise) to run 42 km.

You`re better offer deferring (is that possible ?) and/or running the half. 

• Options
    You guys all sound v.fast and wish you well....will be happy with 3.30 as want a qualifying time for Boston 2009. Anyone else going Friday from Bristol via easyjet?
  • Options
    My clubmate Alan is, and I think looking for similar time to you
  • Options

Graham/ Beetle

Thanks for the advice, but if I'm honest I think I was always going to still do it but simply not run all of it.

The orthotics do seem to have fixed the problem and the runs I've done have been pain free since I've had them, so it will be a case of see what happens between now and then and on the day. I am going to attempt a long run this weekend and see how things shape up. The fitness still feels like it's there and my legs have felt strong after the shorter quicker ones I've done lately.

There are four of us going over together and I've already raised a fair amount for my chosen charity so I really want to do it for both of those reasons but mostly so I can I've done one.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone else.

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Good on you.

Best of luck. 

• Options

This has probably been mentioned before, but is there going to be any kind of RW meet up pre or post race?

And is anyone flying from Leeds Bradfprd Airport on the Saturday morning with KLM?

• Options
    Reading the thread - it looks as if everyone is either running great times or picking up injuries. I'm kinda in the latter group as I missed most of last weeks training and my last 20 mile LSR due to a bad dose of gastric flu. Still pretty weak and don' plan to run for a few days more. I've done a 17, a 18 and 3x20 LSRs - any thought s on the merits or otherwise of trying to replace my missed 20 miler at the weekend and doing a 2 week taper only?
  • Options

Adam hope you get through the IT band problems, for what it's worth I had it so bad when I trained for the Paris Marathon this year, it regularly caused me to pull up.

The solution my physio game me was to stretch them (I know obvious but I didn't have an IT band stretch in my locker then). 

If you know it then fair play, but to get a good stretch on the IT bands before and after a run, I cross my right foot over my left and reach down to the inside of my left ankle with my right hand - hold it for 20 seconds and repeat the process on the other side (three repeats).  If you're getting it right you'll feel a nice pull across the middle of your hip and down the side of your leg.

Training going well, managed a 1:39 pb in the Retford Half last week (pales to some of you guys but very happy here), and did my longest LSR last Sunday of 22miles, on a really hilly track - and no real ill effects afterward.  I'm currently in time reassesment mode, and aren't really set on my final target.

By the way, longshot, but Ken Adamson, did you ever happen to work at Leeming on 11?

Jase

• Options

Thanks Jase

I used to do that one all the time when I played football but have clearly forgotten about it.

• Options

Hi all

Just decided to have a look at this thread.  I've signed up for Amsterdam, looking forward to it.  Training been going ok until caught a nasty cold this weekend (generously donated by my wife).  If better planning last long run on Sunday (about 20) then taper.

Flying from Cardiff on the Friday with BMIBaby, returning Sunday night as I have to take kids to school on Monday morning.  Showing no ambition whatsover as I'm staying at one of the airport hotels (hoping I can have a shower there before my flight home).

Anyone else going from Cardiff?

• Options

Any time Adam, I used to incorporate it into my West German warm up (image) when I played Sunday League, and I'd forgotton it as well.

All the best mate - Jase

• Options

Any time Adam, I used to incorporate it into my West German warm up (image) when I played Sunday League, and I'd forgotton it as well.

All the best mate - Jase

• Options

Ken, plenty of work has been done there so don't see any problems going for a two week taper (which would be my preferred choice in any event) - most important thing is you're fully recovered and repleted after the flu episode (can take longer than you might expect) and that you recover well after your last LSR. Good luck.

Adam - have you tried loosening your ITB on a "foam roller" (or failing that you could use a two litre plastic Coca Cola [or similar] bottle filled with water) - just google for "foam roller exercises" - they're not pleasant (guaranteed in fact to make you wince) but can be very effective particularly if combined with a lenghty session of good deep stretching (and maybe some icing after each session). Your ITB will love you for it. Good luck. 

I have another 22 miler planned for this Sunday and then the Jog Shop Jog on the 14th before tapering big time over the last 7 days (the method behind the madness is that by doing a long run every Sunday for the last 5 weeks, on marathon day the body should feel that it's not doing anything out of the ordinary - we'll see).

• Options
    Race instructions just arrived, informing me that 'THe Half Marathon is not a competition'.  Bit harsh that!  Must tell my friend who won last year that he wasn't actually in a competition.  Explains why he didn't get a prize!!  At least us half-timers still get chips so we know how long it took us to jog round our fun-run.
  • Options

My number is 7347.

And I have 2 places at the Saturday night pasta party! (I hear there's lap dancers and schmoking!)

I note that we have to register and pay for the 5km morning run. I feel sure there was an earlier announcement that the morning run was part of the package - or did I just misunderstand the cute translations?

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

My confirmation letter arrived today too - race number 4330. Have been placed in Area D, which is for runners with a PB of 3:30-4:00. Don't know why as only managed 4:21 at this year's FLM which was my first Marathon. Did put down target time of 3:50 on on-line application but pen is supposed to be based on previous PB not target time. Taking it as a good omen - hopefully they think sub-4 is on, which is my target!!! image

Enjoying the taper - 13-miler to look forward to on Sunday. Last longish run, but will be enjoyable compared to the 5 x 20-milers I have done over the last few weeks. Stay healthy everyone!

• Options
    No sign yet but postal strike probably influencing. No taper yet as Cardiff half on 14th. Looking forward to a cooler Dutch marathon than Rotterdam in April, which was brutal and a time inside 3.30 all barring injuries of course. Any plans to meet up post race anyone?