Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options

I`m getting rather lonely on here.

Was it something I said ?

Or is everyone engaged in a burst of furious last minute training ?

Just in case anyone`s still out there: elevation chart for the marathon: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=65071021

• Options
  • Options
    Which is good.
  • Options
    As long as it's not too breezy
  • Options

I wasn't able to do The Dunstable Challenge due to my old Jag giving up on the M25. I've now sold it to my local Jag garage and bought an old Saab 900. Not having a car distracted me from running for the first part of the week - though I did do some stiff 1 hour walks to work.

Anyway - back now to running every morning. And will do 20 miles on Sunday.

Good news for the apartment - Chrissie found us a delightful place in between the old centre and the Pipe - so it's handy for everything, and it's beautiful. 

• Options
    I think I'll go and compare it to Windermere, see what the difference is!
  • Options
    I'm also pondering the two week taper option.  Usually my last long run would be next weekend, but I'm doing the Great North Run - and I'm doing it far slower than marathon training pace let alone my normal half marathon pace (I'm doing a charity team thing).  So I'm trying to decide between doing my last long run tomorrow (which means doing it somewhere unfamiliar) or doing it the weekend after the GNR and having a two week taper.  I might wait til that weekend and see how I feel.  I'd normally do about 13 that weekend, so maybe if I bump it up to about 16 it won't be that much longer but more of a confidence boost?
  • Options

With doing Yorkshireman 2 weeks ago, then picking up a knee niggle and having a 10k tomorrow, my training plans gone a little awry. If all goes well tomorrow, I'm planning on doing a 20 miler on Thursday, followed by one on Monday, then a 15k trail race on the following Saturday. This all emans one less 20  iler than I hoped for, but the 2 I've got under my belt so far have been good and my form of late has been great.

Ultimately, this means I'll have more 20 milers under my belt than I did at Windermere and I know I've got more runs over 10 mile under my belt than last time round, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Maybe

• Options

Did 21.5 yesterday but was really tired all the way round think the long runs have taken their toll done 2 19's 2 20's and the 21.5 so am going to start tapering now.  Going to Memorca on Wednesday for a week so taking running gear and going to just do 5 miles in mornings to keep ticking over.  Got race on 7th October I think it is the Pier to Pier at Blackpool which should be easy after all the long ones.  How is everyone else getting on

• Options
    Things have taken a turn for the better. Ran 22 in 2`23 this morning and found it ok. It`s all very odd. Sore throat on Thursday; up till 2.00 a.m. on Friday on a selection of beers, cocktails and wine; very hung over and not much food on Saturday - but recorded my fastest long run, by quite a margin, today.
  • Options

22 in 2.23?  Big respect, Beetle.  I did 20 in 2.41 after a week and a half of hit-and-miss training due to work pressures and a similar sounding sore throat/cold/viral whatnot which was affecting my RHR a bit too much but it looks like that's behind me now.  I have 3 x 20s and 2 x 22s in the bag plus some 18s in June/July.  A couple of weeks of proper sharpening and I should be ready to roll.

Enjoy Menorca, patrunner.  Mmm, warm weather training.  What I wouldn't give for that now I've finished a LSR in pouring rain with a vile headwind to boot!

Hope everyone's training is going well.  The taper will be here before we know it.

• Options
    Anyone doing the half in the afternoon?  I entered the marathon but I'm not fit enough for that now so have swapped.  Will watch the marathon first and then go do my fun run.
  • Options
    Just done the Kirkstall 10k today. About 3-4 miles of climbing and I managed 7th place in 36:58, so very happy with that result. The way I feel at the  mo, I reckon I could crack a 36 min 10k
  • Options

Still haven't quite cracked a 20 miler -  19.5 on Sunday and am setting myself a 4.20 target now so not to be too disheartened on the day.

• Options

After last weekend's disaster I managed 20 miles on Sunday. Not fast running - I just wanted the distance. Took me ages because I stopped in the pub on the way back. I have the time somewhere on my watch - but that must also take into account two stops to throw up in the gutter. I insist it wasn't the beer, but that I put too much salt in my sports drink.

Chrissie made me a lovely Sunday roast (nut roast) for when I got back, but it took a couple of hours for my stomach to settle. Great lunch when I did have it. Spanking stuff! Washed down with lashings of cheap red wine. 

• Options

Hi Emer

I'm doing the half and there is another guy from the GNR thread, XL-man, doing it as well.  Completely overwhelmed here with talk of 20 mile runs in those times.  I toil to find time to train for halfs never mind a full marathon - huge respect to you all.

I'm doing the Great Cumbrian Run in Carlilse the week before (supposedly as a training run) and am aiming for around the 1:55 mark in Amsterdam.  Wife and eldest daughter are coming over as well for a long weekend and I'm beginning to look forward to this.

• Options
    A mate of mine (not a forumite) is running the half, although we hadn't appreciated that the half was in the afternoon when she took a decision between the 5k and the half.  She'll get to spend the morning waiting around for me and I'll get to spend the afternoon waiting around for her, as DOMS sets in!  Cool.
  • Options

Sounds like a lot of good running going on - and some seriously impressive times! Well done everybody! Reall on the countdown now.

I got some advice about my sore heel - it was plantar fasciitis (apparently) icing and running on the flat really helped.

Did 21 miles tonight in 3hrs 05mins - made a big effort to slow down and felt comfortable throughout, finishing strong.

• Options

Hi Wee Col and Joolska. 

I watched the full marathon a couple of years ago and it was really easy to get round the city and see lots of it, so hopefully your spectators won't have too much hanging around to do.  I've got a friend in the full marathon so will have to resist the temptation to do all my best running charging round trying to see her in the morning! 

Joolska - Looked like they had plenty food to refuel you at marathon finish (though saw no massage etc. at actual staduim), and half start is right by stadium, so you should be able to stagger that far.  Maybe you could then head up to the Vondel Park (if you can still walk) as should be a nice place to hang out and wait for the half marathoners to come through.  Doesn't look like they generally get any really serious competitors in the half though - they obviously all run in the morning!

Not sure what time I'm going for - has been a while since I've raced.  PB would be nice, but wouldn't it always!  Training going well so you never know - a lot can change in 3 1/2 weeks for a half, whereas you're pretty much done by now for the full marathon.

• Options

Just back from LSR. Did 20.14 miles at 7:27mm average. Very happy with that. My last 20 miler was a month ago due to work, races and a bit of a niggle in my knee, but it all felt good today, especially as I was on quite a hilly route with 4 decent climbs in it. Covering road, canalside, golf course, woods and parks.

Also, it was about 20 seconds a mile quicker than my last LSR a month ago, so the races and training I've done inbetween must be having some benefit.

Only real issue was my flexi flask, which has split and started dribblig. It looked like I'd pi55ed myself after about 11 miles, so heading out to buy a camel bak later.

I've got a trail race a week on Saturday, then my taper begins, so I'm hoping to get in a decent long run between then and now (hopefully Monday) so at least I'll have 4 20 milers under my belt for this one, as oppsoed to Windermere where I managed just 1!

• Options

Joolska, are you flying from Bristol? I'm booked on the KLM at 13.20 on Friday coming back Monday 21.45

• Options
    Yeah, but flying out on Thursday and back Sunday evening!
  • Options
    Sunday evening ? Bad planning or unavoidable commitments ?
  • Options
    Musketeer - I'm on same flights as you, along with friend from running club who is now injured but coming anyway. 
  • Options
    Unavoidable commitments at the time I booked
  • Options

Bad luck. Just avoid premature celebrations on Saturday night.

Did 15 today. Moving like a geriatric snail & pulled  a calf muscle (not seriously) to  boot. 

Off to a beer festival tomorrow night with a long run planned for Sunday. Great opportunity to test my new carbo-loading theory. 

• Options
    Top it off with a carb and protein loaded chicken kebab, it'll help your perfromance no end
  • Options
    With lashings of chile sauce. What a good idea.
  • Options
    emer what club are you in? I am GWR.