Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Whereas they clearly don't think I'll get sub-3 and have allocated me pen C on the basis of my 3.07 PB!  I figure as long as I get to the front of the pen it should be ok.
  • Options

Got my race pack yesterday - has brought home how close it is.

Spent all day in bed yesterday as was ill with some sort of upset stomach. Haven't thrown up yet today as there is nothing inside to come out

• Options

I've got my pack, can't remember my number but I'm in the 3:30 - 4:00 pen as well I think (PB is 3:52, so just about right!).

If anyone needs accommodation for the weekend, let me know.  We're renting an apartment for 6, but two people have just dropped out and we're looking for someone to step in and take the extra beds.  It's booked for 3 nights (Fri/Sat/Sun) and is pretty central, let me know if you're interested.

• Options
    Pen B for me, running number 291 I think. Lowest race number Ive ever had, its always been in the thousands before in marathons.
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Pity the poor b*ggers running Chicago on Sunday. The temperature is forecast to be 82F (28C) with high humidity.
  • Options

Mt heart goes out to them, Paris with intervals of 30oC hammered me, I'm hoping Amsterdam is a nice cool sub 20, maybe a smattering of rain and low breeze - we can but wish!

Jase

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Forget the breeze but I`m with you on sub-20 (sub 16 would be even better) and a smattering of rain.
  • Options
    I'd like a cool start and a warmer, sunny finish. I tend to get quite cold towards the end of a long run because I'm wet with sweat and my energy is running low, and I'm moving slower. The warmth helps me preserve energy. I'd like the sun because it's a moral booster.
  • Options

Last run over 10 miles before the big day for me today!! Get in! I don't even remember what going out on a Friday night after work was like!!!!

Couldn't sleep last night due to thinking about it - not a good sign two weeks before (Just don't go out too fast!!!!!)

Number 788; Zone D.......

• Options
    Back from Menorca ran nearly every day as there was nothing else to do in really remote village so in bed by 9 every night so probably did me good!!!!!!!!!  Race number 16847 in pen E
  • Options
    Back from Menorca ran nearly every day as there was nothing else to do in really remote village so in bed by 9 every night so probably did me good!!!!!!!!!  Race number 16847 in pen E
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Race no 3897 in pen B. Last 18/19 miler tomorrow. One more VO2 max and one more tempo run next week and that`s it. Thought I was going to spend the week before Amsterdam stuck in a nightmare trial but it`s gone. Best bit of news for weeks.
  • Options
    Can't remember what staying in on a Friday is all about. One half-marathon to go. Sleep deprivation self-inflicted, no sympathy but great night. The sleep was deep. Off for 3 hours martial arts and then a run.....Saturday is not my favourite day! Christening tomorrow and got to attend as am godfather so will miss LSR(or not depending on view) Have a great weekend guys
  • Options

Got my race pack on Thursday pen C for me can't remember my number.

Dropped my Garmin on Wednesday and cracked the LCD screen!!! fortunatly its repairable but with the postal strike im not sure i will get it back in time!

Out for 15 on Sunday my last long run..... Yipee!

• Options

Has anyone any exeriance of the baggage arangements?

Is there a safe place to leave baggage during the race?

I think i will have to check out of the hotel before the race so i'm not sure what to do with my bag... Any advice

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    May have a spare garmin for you to borrrow if your one is not back in time
  • Options

I left my case there when I did the half last year, didn't have any real problems, you just leave them in a big sports hall, which is divided up into sections by number from memory.

I decided on a 2 week taper, so have just been out for just under 22 miles.  I decided I needed the confidence of knowing I could do it more than I needed fully fresh legs - my long runs have been a bit disrupted over the past month, and it's a long time since I did anything over 17.  As my usual place to run into problems is 20 I wanted to remind myself that I can run that far.  I will be taking it ultra easy between now and Amsterdam though to recover!

• Options

Tanks Beetle, Do I know you?

And thanks YP1 I was a little worried what to do with my baggage on the day.

Is it easy to find?

• Options
    I THINK it's the same place where you go to pick up your number.  Memory a bit hazy from last year though - it's definitely not at the stadium.
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    No - at least I don`t think so.
  • Options

Last long run tomorrow, 18 miles and feeling great about the whole race.

Just running in a new pair of Kayano 13s in  and the the aprehension I had before my first 26 in Paris isn't there, just really looking forward to it and pretty excited.

Best of luck with all your final LSR guys and gals and don't overdo it - the work is done!

Jase

• Options

On the back of the map they sent us there is section marked Clothing, bags & valuables which says that you can change in the Sporthallen Zuid (where we pick up our numbers), and "deposit your clothes around the Olympic Stadium" - I love the awkward translations! What does it mean? Does it mean we can scatter our clothes all over the stadium? Valuables can be left in the Zuid for half a euro, but the clothes are left in the stadium. There's no mention of showers, but I would assume that there would be showers in either the Zuid or the stadium. I guess they don't mention it because they wouldn't want everyone turning up with their Wash 'N' Go and there being a big queue.

I'm wondering how to get to the stadium in the morning. The advice given is that we should use the Metro because trams will be disrupted. But the Metro system mainly covers the East of the city. We're staying not too far from a Metro, but by the time I've walked there, and then walked from the Metro to the stadium I would have covered half the distance to the stadium if I walked there direct. 

Anyone doing the Breakfast run on the Saturday morning? I'm up for that. In fact Saturday is turning out very nice.

Breakfast run in the morning. Visit to the brewery museum in the afternoon. Pasta Party early evening. World Cup final with either England or France playing  at 9.00 (my Chrissie is French so whatever happens next Saturday we'll have a team to cheer on!). 

Bring it on!!!

And remember this is your last chance to get all your supplies in. Check your stocks of NippleGuard and BodyGlide and Energy Gels.

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Brewery museum followed by a rugby world cup final...hmm...is that wise ?
  • Options
    Last long run today, 20 miles hopefully. Time to start thinking about what pace to set myself for the day, just cant decide wether to take a bit of a risk and go for the sub 3 or take it a little easier.
  • Options
    That could make the sunday interesting beetle, If England make the final I'll be watching but It'll be an early night if not. Think I might save the larger til the sunday night though, dont fancy to many porta loo stops on my way round.
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Did you see the Australia game ? Gripping stuff. Not bad for a team with just one world class player. Now I`m not a vindictive person (well, just a little bit) but beating the Australians made me very happy. I wouldn`t have minded losing to the All Blacks (had they won last night); I can just about stomach losing to the French - but to have lost to the Australians....
  • Options
    The day of the underdog II could see SCotland v Fiji and then an all UK final....comr on the Celts
  • Options
    Agree its never good to lose to Aussies in any sport, think we have a good chance against the French. An England v Scotland final does sound juicy, they'll have to play well againt Argentina.

19 miles done for me today in 2:24 which I'm really happy with as it felt fairly comfortable all the way. Need to taper off now, want to do one more tempo/speed session next week. Any ideas of a good session to finish with, maybe 4 or 5 x 1mile at MP or HMP??
  • Options
    Agree its never good to lose to Aussies in any sport, think we have a good chance against the French. An England v Scotland final does sound juicy, they'll have to play well againt Argentina.

19 miles done for me today in 2:24 which I'm really happy with as it felt fairly comfortable all the way. Need to taper off now, want to do one more tempo/speed session next week. Any ideas of a good session to finish with, maybe 4 or 5 x 1mile at MP or HMP???