Options

Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Options
    ahhh, i think your right, 2:39 team walmsley is way out of my leage even on a flat course!

I've just tuned 40 this year so not have to try and keep up with the wippersnappers any more ;o)

aunty moggy,

Thank for the info on pete's, will check it out.

J.B.
    no the FLM was tough but 2 nice girls gave me a massage and oxegen and i was right as rain within 1/2 hr!

May have another crack at it next year.
  • Options
    Aunty Moggy - I'll settle for getting around and even being last! I'd happy come in at 5 hours 40 ish - my half mara time (2.30) together with the hills suggest this. But God knows!

Fry up & Crumble and custard?? with a big cup of tea! Ooooo yum yum!
  • Options
    A bit of time prediction info, for what its worth:

I know two former winners of the Snowdon, neither team W though! Both did the Snowdon and a flat marathon (Manchester) within short period of time of each other. The general feeling is Snowdon is 10-12 mins slower than a "flat" marathon and to get around 3hrs you should be aiming at flat 10k time of about 35:30 and then obviously have enough long runs to survive the distance!
  • Options
    Can someone explain what DD is. Getting excited about the race already because everyone seems so friendly. I would like a sub 4 hour but will be happy to finish. Hope to see some of you there.
  • Options
    NG - DD is the Dartmoor Discovery - a 32 mile ultra that meanders around Dartmoor.
  • Options
    Mmmm, sub 3, that would be good, but don't don't think i am quite in that league yet, i will decide on a time once the training gets going.
  • Options
    Bet you wish you never asked Nurse Gladys!!! sounds very challenging(dartmoor discovery)I was expecting the dorset doddle!!!A lovely little ,flat plod around dorset and maybe a cream tea to finish!!! Dont think i will be entering the DD do you?:0)Good luck with your training
  • Options
    umm, seriously worried now, all this talk of sub 3hrs, aunty moggy we'll have a good chat about our favourite crumble whilst watching everyone disappear into the distance.....
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Karl - camping was pretty good last year. Was in Snowdon House up the road from Nant Peris. Even though I knew the clocks were going back, I made a mess of changing my watch and nearly missed the start (shouldn't have that problem this year!). My mate who came to watch called out from his tent "Hadn't you better be getting down there?" I was still eating my porridge and thinking about fixing the chip to my shoe and pinning my number on. I had to leave everything and sprint down to the start (about a mile-and-a half - it was meant to be a leisurely warm-up). I was dreading meeting the lead runners coming up the hill towards me.

Apologies for misspelling "Walmsley". Mrs W was the back-up team on a bike.

In 13 hours I will be finding out exactly what the DD is. Bit apprehensive.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    PS I wouldn't advise a Pete's Eats Full breakfast (does he do breakfasts?) on Saturday morning. You'll be hard pushed to get out of the door never mind get round a marathon course.

You vegetarian, aunty moggy?
  • Options
    I was thinking of after the run for the full English ;o)

Don't think I'm anywhere a sub 3 hr, 3:15 to 3:30 will be great.
    My best 10k ( this year ) is 35;30 but i don't want to get hung up on times i just want to enjoy the race and have no pressure.

I take my hat off to all you endurance runners, i know your working just as hard as the faster runners. The longest time I've been on my feet is about 3:15 when training for the FLM.
    Totally draining!

Sent a booking off to Pete's eats and waiting for confirmation, thanks again moggy.
  • Options
    Froghopper don't worry .. your not alone the 3 hour crew are scaring me too!

Did someone say crumble?? Apple but has to be drowned in custard.

Me love custard. :o)
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm more a 4-hr person. Would hope for about 3:50 here this year. Longest I've been on my feet and making forward progress (just) is 7 hrs. Some longer things lined up.

Is this race filling up fast? Will have to enter soon I suppose.
  • Options
    Jeepers!3.30!! Iam looking to just get round the course!
  • Options
    Ian, don't worry, your not the only babe! :)

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    so many new names popping up! good to see such a strong following on here for this race, and its only June! However, far too much talk of sub 3hrs etc for my liking.

I dont know why but I actually seem to be getting faster with age. Ok, im only 28 now but over the last 3 years every marathon ive done ive bettered my time. So Karl, by the time im 40 I should be up there with the winners!!!
  • Options
    Tmt, agree with the lashings of custard....Ian, me too, just want to get round but really looking forward to having a go.As long as I'm surrounded by hills I'll be happy.Mister plod I like you theory, unfortunately I am 40 and only started running at 38, so does that mean when I'm 105 I will be getting good times??
  • Options
    Don't wish your life away Mr plod, I've only been running competitively for a club the last three years. Before that running was a way of keeping fit and relieving stress. I used to play squash ( not very well ) but it was taking up to much time, three evenings a week and in the bar till closing!

I can fit running around my family commitments and meet a broader spectrum of people with the same interest ( no matter what time they cross the finish line.)
    That's the good thing about the running fraternity, not many premadonas!

There's always someone faster, unless your names Paula radcliffe, so keep going for those PB's and when your 40 I'll be 52!!

• Options
    PS.. I'm having a pint of Guinness with my full English. :o)
  • Options
    oh, and i miss spelt prima donnas. doh!
  • Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Hi Karl
    Sounds as if you've had a Guiness or 2 this evening!
    I agree with your comments re meeting people with the same interest, no matter how quick they may run a 10k, 1/2 marathon etc (I'm often on Fetcheveryone - a very friendly running website).
    I, however, struggle with fitting running bewteen family/work commitments - the Snowdonia marathon will be the only race I'll do this year, apart from the hilly 12.5k race which starts/finishes in the village where we live - good prep for the Snowdonia marathon and handy for a recce of the Snowdonia course if you fancy it!
  • Options
    i think pete's eats should set out a few tables serving breakfast on top of THAT big hill at warfur-whatever - may make me get up it a bit quicker.

reckon pete's eats must be the top pre/post marathon place to eat in the uk. should we start a poll?

mp - see you did w-p though you dropped off the chat. how'd you do?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    collie, bar a few stomach problems that made me take good use of the toilet facilities at 11 miles I came in at 3.57. could and should have been around the 3.50 mark, but still a fantastic race. It reminds me of Snowdon in so many ways really!

Sounds like custard is slowly becoming the favoured carbo loading food!!! Maybe someone should develope it in gel pouches that can be carried whilst running?!
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Karl, I see that u've done the Stratford Summer 6 in the past, are you doin it this year?
  • Options
    Custard on the run - genius!

I reckon we should try and persuade Pete's Eats to give us a discount after all that hard work.

Or at least free custard! :D

• Options
    T Rex- Yup I am veggie, have been for over 25 years. Pet (of Pet'e Eats fame) and his wife are veggie, so they always have a good selection on their menu. Are you veggie too?

Froghopper: Looking forward to a chat at the back. We wont be alone. i met some great back-packers last time I did this race. The chao who as 3rd home in 2005 was full of congratulations for anyone who can stay out there for over 5 hours. Their is an exceptional camararderie aout this mara. I started runiing when I was 39, Snowdonia was my first mara aged 40.

If anyone is interested i wrote an account of the Snowdonia mara 2005. It is available online at:
    www.myspace.com/thorpehallrc
    Really sorry can't do hyperlinks! It is in the blog section, top right.
  • Options
    AM - Great report - I'm not entirely sure of my sanity now... :)
  • Options
    aunty moggy
    Great report on the 2005 race. I hadn't started running then but I actually saw many of the runners battling through the weather as I was driving home that day. I thought those people are nutters ha ha. Was Jeremy an Eryri runner if so I know him very nice guy. Lets hope 2007 weather isn't like 2005 I really enjoyed reading about your experience but dont wish to experience similar ha ha. Very very well done on finishing that day, I bet many didn't!!
  • Options
    Too Much/DP : thanks very much for your kind comments.

DP: I don't think Jeremy was an Eryri runner. He was English but I can't recall if he had a harriers vest on. I think most people finished but quite a few entrants didn't start, almost 400 I believe.
  • Options
    mp- you weren't wearing an arsenal top were you? i came in at 3.58.29 and was chatting a bit to that person who would have come in around that time. tho he didn't look to be in too much bother!