Options

Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Options

Might be worth mentioning that in order to complete the questionnaire, you have to have completed a Marathon before - just to save people a bit of wasted effort etc.

stuff questionnaire.

• Options
    sz - there's a man at reception with some JJB goodies for you
  • Options
    i have a black and white dog too cd although he is very good at turning red when we go and do that w word thing on the moors.  i just can't believe PF had to ask! tishk!
  • Options

I've been feeling really weak and tired for the last couple of days - reckon it's either pyschosomatic/pre-race nerves or some sort of computer "virus" from spending too long reading through this lot!!!!image.

Just done the questionnaire - some interesting questions on it!!  Particularly liked the ones about how positive you feel re: marathon - decided I must be going through a "negative" phase - all guilt and low self-confidence!!  Roll on Saturday - let's get it over and done with!!

Last run out with club tonight, then it's just dog-walking and carbo-loading 'til the big day.  Out of interest, what do people carry with them in the way of gels/fuel for the race.  Can't decide what to go for - have never used Maxim before (which I think is the sports drink on offer), usually use Lucozade sports and gels.  Decisions, decisions ................

• Options

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5510/onemansq8.jpg

One man & his grrrrreen dog

• Options
    still ... i'm carrying my own, with you on lucozade, always worked for me and i'm not changing now through fear of pebbledashing the hill sides! taking 500ml bottle of carb fuel mixed up, a couple of gels and some glucose tabs for emergency ... going to take full advantage of water, mars bars and jelly babies as and where offered ... 2nd marathon so learnt a lot from the first in not carrying anything and really struggling from 18 miles on ... did really well doing 20 miles on that lucozade carb fuel stuff.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Where was your first marathon boing?
  • Options

I emailed the Race Organisers last night to request if drinks could be left at water stations, they told me they didn't have the resources to  transport everyones drinks pre-race, so it looks like i'll now have to 'stash' my drinks en-route during friday afternoon so i can pick them up whilst running.

TR, agree with you, i haven't had no info whatsoever, i don't even know where water stations are located, and whatever else they have, eg. energy drinks, etc. I just hope they have more info at registration, especially regarding transport arrangements to the start, last year there were buses so hopefully it'll be the same this year.

• Options

Cd Don't worry T-shirts are sorted.

• Options
    hope you didn't get them from your favourite sports outfitter sz image
  • Options

SD: take what you've practiced with. As B says, there's always the risk of pebbledashing if you try smthg too radical. But by the time you get to about mile 20, you're near enough home (and desperate enough!) to grab whatever's on offer.

Personally, I loathe energy drinks & gels. I've recently discovered Torq, which although not as 'neutral' as it says on the tin, at least nearly tastes of nothing. I'll have 2-3 500ml bottles of that at half strength (can't stomach full whack) during the race.

Given the hill at Waunfawr, it's a case of needs must, so will force feed a gel (SIS) at around mile 19 down my gullet. That should give a good 15 mins before the incline for the gel to kick in. If I'm good, I'll try & manage half a banana about half way round too. Will also be carrying a couple of Ibuprofen for emergencies. (This possibly counts as positive thinking #3: the reassurance of having smthg up your (figurative!) sleeve in case of SNARFUs!)

BTW - I recall smthg on here about the road up to Pen y Pass being closed for the first half hour; is the road from Beddgelert to Waunfawr open during the race?

Oh, and SZ: it's a 'healthy' glass of tinto - i.e. can vary from thimble to bucket sized!! Rehydration is, of course, crucial at this juncture of pre-race preparations.... 

• Options
    don;t suppose there is anyone out there to offer a few words of comfort - this is my first time attempting this and only my second marathon - what can i expect - is it really that bad?? sars image
  • Options

Sara,

Its nowhere near as bad as people make out, there is a tough hill but thats right at the end (almost), and most folks tend to stop and walk that anyway (i walked it 3 times last year), there'll be plenty of runners there as i think its the most they've ever had for this event, and the camaraderie is great, i'm sure you'll tag along somewhere along the route with other runners and enjoy it. You'll be fine, and i bet there'll be plenty of folk still running long after you've finished image

• Options

FR,

While you're carrying your 'substances' perhaps you can carry mine too !

stuff carrying things for 26 miles

stuff whingers too !

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Sara - you will be fine.   It's also an incredibly beautiful course and the scenery is stunning and because we are not all chasing PB's on this course there's a lovely atmosphere of camaraderie.

It's one of those races that you don't care if you get a medal, piece or slate or whatever, the satisfaction of doing the race is enough.

• Options

Ru - yes the road from Pen-y-Gwrd all the way up to the right turn at Waunfawr is open to traffic.

Sara - it is a wonderfully marvellous race, with so many great people involved, I suppose that is why so many come back year after year.

• Options

Back again

Back again.. did my final weekend run 9 miler around the cliff trail and along the surf beach here.. http://www.pbase.com/andyd/image/51446806 So beautiful 

What's all this about CD not doing it now? image  and yes B-oing I'm still doing it..

Sara - don't worry there's a few of for a first time out image

• Options

too much - i'm u'eeing by the dqay. i'm course for 10.30

sara - you'll be fine. think of it as a wee trip out on your feet for whatever time you think it'll take. forget splits. they're for gymnasts.

here here fr  - you make your bed you lie in it

i too look after my own energy needs (and my dogs - he's partial to flapjack) and don't rely on feed stations. though i won't say no to a nice cuppa if it's offered. be rude not to.

destiny is then in your own hands. i've never hit the wall. what wall? and doubt i ever will. if anything i might overfeed myself so if i come back looking bigger than when i went out you'll know why.

stuff your belly

• Options

FR

Sorry, i forgot about that first little incline around 3 miles, as you say its not much of a hill anyway, but there's a nice fast downhill section once you get to the top, then its .......wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  all the way down  !     sorry, getting carried away a bitimage

Theres a slight incline around 13 too, but as i'm used to 'slight' undulations i think the only dreaded hill of any sorts is the one around mile 22.  Hope i can stay positive enough to run up it this year, everyone keeps telling me to add around 15-20 mins on to my last mara time for a realistic finish time.... yeah, yeah, we'll see !

Last slow plod tomorrow for me then its no more running 'til saturday, with the exception of my pre-race warm up and strides........ getting anxious now  image

• Options
    Earlier tonight I did my last hill session before the race. Just a easy run tomorrow with a post run Vitamin G drink for practice for Monday.
  • Options

Blimey vitamin G drinks - has Laphroaig got that in it? If it has I'll be well set up for Saturday!

Weather forecast is looking a bit more interesting now - looks like it could get mildly damp and windy as a change from all this cold still air. My favourite, a good dousing will make the descent to Llanberis so much more enjoyable.

Hope everyone is feeling happy and positive about this race, it's a cracker - finish with a smile, whatever you do!  

• Options

Water stations are shown on the web site pdf of the course.

Not run since week-end - might go out 2moro then thats it to saturday

Positivity   image Bit of sun like 2day would be nice too.

• Options

Well not long now, 3 days and 8 hours as I type this.  All the long runs done and tapering almost complete, roll on Saturday. I've enjoyed the build up to this event, see everyone on Saturday.

It's all been worth it: http://www.ianandrewdoyle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/plan.html

Kind Regards

Sinatra 

• Options
    interesting log sinatra - did you enjoy the snowdon race? btw do you just record your long runs as it appears from your log that you only run once a week!?
  • Options

right, off out again for some last minute secret training in the dark

ps don't tell sz!

• Options

My training for this has gone really well, - 40 miles a week and 23 mile LSRs. Until 2 weeks ago that is, when I went down with a cold, caught as usual from my kids. I'm still not 100%, with a cough and sore throat, which has got worse after trying 5 miles yesterday.

This is my first marathon and was/am really looking forward to it - anyone got any experience of running a marathon with a cold, or should I can it and recover fully before thinking about my next race?