Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    swervin - i had similar knee problems to you- i found that doing stretches really helped, though it did take a month or so for improvement. would defo recommend going to see a physio.
  • Options

My half marathon on Sunday had 4 hills in the last mile. That is NOT fair play. Good job the marshals had jelly babies...

• Options

Ooooo, it's lovely listening to you first-timers!  Brighton will defo be a good first marathon as it's a great atmosphere with lots of crowd support.  Please be careful that you don't increase your mileage too soon and therefore risk injured - I speak from experience there as that's exactly what I did and I ended up with ITB problems image

• Options
    Thanks for the reassurance Toby!

11.5 miles today - the first 3 in pouring rain, which certainly woke me up. Then I got even soggier when I came across a puddle. I say puddle, but pool is nearer the mark. About 20ft long, the entire width of the path, and 6 inches deep. Turning around wasn't an option, so I ploughed through it then squelched the last 6 miles.

Hope your running is drier than mine!
  • Options

afternoon all just 4 miles for me yesterday did them on the treadmill as was expecting the gas man

• Options

Yesterday the weather forecaster promised no rain or hail , so off I went and it rained and hailed and I looked somewhat like a drowned rat when I got home again! Oh well, 6.5 miles done.

10 k race tomorrow 9.00 followed by 45 mins slow run to pick up miles for HM in 2 weeks time - got a plan for Brighton so feeling very motivated albeit somewhat daunted!

How's the knee Swervin Mervin? I use a foamie several times a week for IT issues - but my pain is also in the hip - iliac crest not so much the knee. It was bad this time last year and I had doubts about the GSR then, but rolling, stretching and taping helped a great deal and now it hardly bothers me at all. I do still stretch and roll regularly though! Hope there's some inmprovement. image

• Options

struggling to stay motivated after cardiff half and keep the mileage up (always the same this time of year) need december to start so i can seriously focus on brighton. if i can manage to drag myself out of bed early enough i hope to get 10miles run tomorrow morning.image

• Options

After 6 days off, I think the time has come- once I've done my Pilates class, time to have my first little run since my half marathon! Otherwise, my legs will be forgetting what to do...

• Options
    I'm am struggling not to b able to go running. Two weeks off so far (just gym bike and road bike) as my shin splints r still painfully. Last few days have felt better with pain easing away but I think it will b another 2weeks before I can start road running again.

It's amazing how much u miss it, but I'm now going to take my comeback slowly so I don't go through this again. Going to treat myself to a new pair of shoes couple of days before next run to get me back in the mood. Thank goodness for my road bike to keep me a little bit sain.

Keep going everyone and remember enjoy ur run despite how hard it is
  • Options
    Stephen. Been there. News shoes every 400 miles. Compression socks. And ice daily for now. Good luck !!
  • Options

Keep going Stephen - I'd also add to the above try foam rolling - not quite so easy to do for shins but my son has used it and found it helpful. try different terrains as well. Not sure about new shoes - my OH used to play badminton and only had problems with shin splints when he went and got new shoes - a lot of runners also seem to have experienced this, but it's probably worth a try?

Did 10k race this am - 49.30 not a PB but it was blowing a gale so really hard work then only managed 3 miles after that......image

• Options

Afternoon all,

Very wet and windy down here!

Jelleybaby, that's  a fab time for 10k image

Stephen, I suffered from shin splints  a few years ago and I now try to run off-road a bit more which seems to help.

• Options
    Sarah...know what you mean about getting back out there. Did my first run after last weeks half this morning. Was actually a little nervous but was fine. Was only going to do 3miles but felt good do did 5.5miles SLOWLY. legs a little tight but nothing major.

Gonna maintain my mileage up to 6to7 miles for my LSR until end of November and then my official training schedule starts eek !

Well done on the race jelly belly

Keep going Stephen...hope new trainers do the trick.

On an exciting note i have.started my xmas list....mainly consists of running stuff!

Happy running everyone
  • Options

Definitely gem- just got back from a steady 5 and it was hard work! my legs weren't hurting or anything, they just felt very dead and sluggish. The absolutely FREEZING weather in Leeds today might not have helped much either... 

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Stephen: For what its worth, I had shin splints before the Berlin marathon in September, caused by running in the wrong shoes. Well the right shoes but the wrong make. I am no expert but here is my remedy!

#1 get the right shoes or new shoes if the old ones are shot or the wrong type.

#2 Alternate massaging the shin area with Arnica Ice followed by 20 mins ice packs. This worked for me! The heat followed by cold seemed to stimulate the blood flow which seemed to speed recovery. I even managed to start training again before they were fully healled.

Good luck!

• Options

Stephen: forgot to add to my post previously, my physio told me when I had mild shin splints that I needed to strengthen my anterior tibialis muscles (front of the shin) compared to my calf muscles, and to thoroughly stretch my calves.

He told me toe raises are best for strengthening the ant. tibialis muscles- this got rid of my shin splints quite fast!

• Options

Hi all.  I'm still trying my best to work around my troublesome knee.  I've found that I can keep going with reasonable distance, as long as I avoid doing any real speed sessions.  I figure I can still progress towards my marathon target, just a bit more slowly than I would have liked.

I ran my first race since August yesterday, having had to bail on some others due to the injury.  I'm happy to say I ran a 6.5 minute PB in a half marathon - finishing in 1:54:58.  I've cracked the two-hour barrier at last! image  

I'll continue to work on endurance as long as my knee holds up.  I've an appointment to see an Osteopath next month.

Toby - you mentioned in an earlier post that your marathon training plan starts mid-December.  Which plan do you follow?  I still haven't decided which one to base my training on.  It seems incredible that training starts in earnest next month!!!

• Options

Tenjiso i follow a plan sent to me by shades who posts on here i tweaked it to suite my self it's the same one I've followed for the last 3 and suites me as it's based on 3 runs during  the week and 1 long run on the weekend although i tend to do them on a Friday

• Options

Thanks Toby.  I'm considering increasing the days and mileage I do this time around. I don't feel that the long run of 20 miles is enough for me, so I'm going to try going up to 22 miles for the longest run.  I'd also like to average around 40 miles per week, if I can do it while avoiding injury.  I looked at the P&D schedules, but think they might be a bit too much for me at this stage (up to 55 miles a week) until I sort out my knee problem.

• Options

the mileage on the one i have is no where near that the heaviest week i have is about 3 to 4 weeks before Brighton and that was 52 even with a 20 mile run it only gets up to between 38 and 41 on averagein the later weeks it only got to 52 because i ran the bath H/M on the Sunday and did a 22 mile run on the following Friday 

• Options

Did you find the 22 mile long run helped you cope with the full marathon better?  I'm loosely planning to peak at 22 miles 5 weeks out from the marathon, followed by a final 20 mile run three weeks out, then taper.

• Options
    Tenjiso.... Is your knee ITB? Sounds like it if you can run with care/ease. If it is a week/few days of foam rolling will hurt but sort it !!!
  • Options

Well done Tenjiso! That's a huge PB! image

• Options

Tenjiso i do find it's a good psychological boost doing the 22 but don't get to hung up on the 20 mile runs as time on your feet is just as important

• Options

Thanks Toby.  I think I'm going to give it a go up to 22, since it's probably a psychological boost I'm looking for.  It seems like a long way to go when flagging at 20 miles and knowing that's the farthest I've run in training with 10km still to go.  Maybe only having four miles left to go might feel different.  Time will tell.  I appreciate your feedback.

AGF/Sarah - thanks, I'm well happy with the breakthrough!  I have no idea if it's ITB trouble, and it has been mentioned before.  I bought a foam roller a couple of months ago and tried it.  It certainly hurt and gave me cramp in the calf when I did the ITB exercise image.  The cramp meant that I couldn't do too much, but maybe I should try again now.  The roller really did help when I felt stiffness in the calves or quads.

Interestingly, my knees feel absolutely fine this morning.  Like normal knees for the first time since August!  Touchwood the feeling lasts and I can begin to build-up again.  I'm intruigued by the idea that racing the half-marathon might have actually helped.....? image  

• Options
    tenjiso ..great pb.

i see everyone Ian starting to get their plans in place!

exciting times ahead.
  • Options

Hi all, been 'lurking' here a while now and thought id get stuck in as its soon going to be all systems go towards the big day. I did Bton last april (just under 5hrs) and am looking for a plan for April that will get me some where towards 4.5 hrs - i just made it up as i went along last year. Am doing the half in April also - more as a training run than anything but desperately want to break 2 hrs (recorded 2hrs 4 mins in last Feb). Anyways hi to everyone and any tips re a program much appreciated

• Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Thanks Toby.  I think I'm going to give it a go up to 22, since it's probably a psychological boost I'm looking for.  It seems like a long way to go when flagging at 20 miles and knowing that's the farthest I've run in training with 10km still to go.  Maybe only having four miles left to go might feel different.  Time will tell.  I appreciate your feedback.

Tenjiso, the best thing I've ever done in all 3 marathons I've trained for is run 22 and 24 miles in training - it's such a psychological boost knowing that you've basically run the distance. The first marathon I ran was Brighton in 2011 and I found the heat REALLY tough, however because I knew I'd run 24 miles in training, the distance wasn't a problem and I could just focus on trying to beat the heat image

I know some people are in the opposite school and don't run more than 18 miles as their longest run in marathon training, so it's what works for you....but if you enjoy the long runs, have time to put the miles in and find you recover pretty quickly then I'd say go for them image

• Options
    Ed Watson 4 wrote (see)

Hi all, been 'lurking' here a while now and thought id get stuck in as its soon going to be all systems go towards the big day. I did Bton last april (just under 5hrs) and am looking for a plan for April that will get me some where towards 4.5 hrs - i just made it up as i went along last year. Am doing the half in April also - more as a training run than anything but desperately want to break 2 hrs (recorded 2hrs 4 mins in last Feb). Anyways hi to everyone and any tips re a program much appreciated

Hi Ed

A lot of people follow the Hal Higdon plans http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide There's different plans there for different levels of runner.

Re your half marathon is that Brighton Half Marathon you're doing in February, you mention the half (but in April)?

• Options

Evening all. Lots of good advice has magically appeared on this thread since I was last here. Note to self: pop back more often.

Ran 10k along Swansea Bay at lunchtime today but as I set off I thought I'd see how much distance I could cover in 30 minutes. I ended up running the first 5k in a fraction under 25 minutes (for the first time ever) and I ran 6k in 30minutes dead.

That's 50 minute 10k time, and about where I want to be by the end of the year, so it's looking good! I want to bring my h/m time down from 1:57 to 1:50, ideally, which gives me a fighting chance of running the Brighton Marathon under 4hrs.

Well, that's the plan.

Hope you're all keeping well and getting out there regardless of the weather!