Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Wordslinger - welcome and well done for the p.b at Cardiff half.

Poohbear - well done for completing your first half marathonimageimage, guts and determination got you through to the finish, i'm sure it felt good despite the pain.  I hope your injury heals soon. I have had  quite a bit of trouble with my hips and hamstrings, and apparently it could be down to my 'swaying' my hips and losing form when I get fatigued in the latter stages of a long run. Sports massage, concentrating on form and spending alot of time rolling my glutes around on a massage ball have all helped.

Looking forward to hearing how Yvonne got on.

• Options
    Congrats on running your first h/m Poohbear - hope your hip/hamstring recovers quickly! Enjoy a few days' well earned rest!
  • Options

Well done Poohbear!image Wear your medal (assuming you got one) all day of every day this week and feel proud of your half marathon achievement!

In two weeks the Great South Run will be over and I shall cease my lurking and come on over here.  The 'green fairy gremlins' are circling once again so hopefully I shall have run the GSR this year!

See you soonimage

• Options

Just for you charlotte, i completed the hills of swindon in a time of 2:07:33 which was under the 2:10:00 i was looking to do so well chuffed with tha,t as all the week before i was battling with a cold and trying to be positive and take lots of vitamins and rest but now i think ive sucummed to the cold big time, havnt stopped sneezing and blowing my nose since i ran yesterday although sometimes after i run especially if i really breathe deep(and those hills made me breathe deep and i found myself walking 4 times to catch my breath this is the first time ive ever walked in a race so felt odd, but i needed to, i didnt want to risk my first asthma attack!!!!) and its a cold air it tends to irritate my lungs a bit and produce bucket loads of nose matter!!!! Hoping by tomorrow its settled down...but felt really good running yesterday even though time was the slowest of the 3 halfs ive done in last 2 weeks this was my fave and ill do it again next year with a bit of hill training under my belt will aim for a sub 2 even on that course...it put me and my running ability back in a good mood, as last sunday at cricklade felt like pants and was ready to turn to cycling!!!!!

• Options

6 Months!!! Aaargh! image

I've got a lot of work to do!!

I was meant to go out for my 11 miler last night and ended up running 14! image....my longest run ever and boy did it feel like it! I got a cramp in my calf and my knees were absolutely killing me when I got home. image

Anyways.....14 miles in 2hrs 22. Not gonna set the world on fire, but I did it! I've ran further than a HM now which means my first 'official' event the Brighon half in Feb isn't as daunting now!

I still pinch myself now and again....I can't believe I hadn't ran at all before the beginning of June!

Howdy Wordslinger....well done on the PB @ Cardiff. I've never experienced the jostling and it's something I'm not looking forward to.

Hi sleaver.....I've just logged on to the Brighton Marathon site and changed my T-Shirt order....I'm shrinking!

gemgem....somethings really ought to be kept to yourself! image Well done on the -2hr 12 miler!

Bad luck poohbear with the injury, but.....you did it!! image , and well done toby for being there! Top man!!

Well done yvonne...great time tbh.

• Options

Well done poohbear! Hope you recover well from your injury.

• Options

Yvonne - well done with the Swindon result and I hope you recover from your cold soon!

Green Fairy - your back, lets hope its fourth time luckyimage!

• Options
    Swervin...Thats great work - and still ages to improve on times for Feb. 14 miles is an achievment in itself. I was saying to my other half how it wasnt that long ago that running non stop for 5 minutes was an issue for me. It just shows what we can all achieve with a bit of hard work.

Green Fairy - You better get yourself over here soon - You started this thread!!!! Good Luck with the GSR.

Not feeling too bad today after yesterdays 12 miler...managed a gentle bike ride followed by a well deserved bacon roll.

Did anybody find today REALLY cold. Not sure what I am going to wear for my half in 2 weeks - because I hate being too hot. may have to buy some cheap layers I can discard if need be. What do you guys normally wear for racec in colder weather?
  • Options

Hello!

I'm new on this thread as I'm trying to decide whether or not to pay the £75 premium entry fee for this race. 

Could someone please tell me how much standard entry is? Does standard entry get a t-shirt? Is there a medal at the end? ( I do like a medal)

Thanks all!

• Options

Afternoon all

well that’s it for me now all the  4 half done in 5 weekends so will have to think of a new challenge for next year would definitely recommend Swindon all though we were lucky with the weather i think it may have been a different story had it been blowing a gale and raining

We were lucky to run Swindon as i was reading that it nearly got cancelled because the main sponsor pulled out but at the last minute decided to back it glad they did and that the cost of road closers wasn’t been offset by the number of entries

They were dead chuff this year as they had a record number of runners at 1,930 a far cry from the likes of bath and Bristol were the entries are usually 10,000 and more yet there twice as expensive to enter

There’s no running now for me for 2 weeks as i am now on holiday and have decided to give the body time to recover mind you i say that now but by next week i won’t be surprised if i am suffering from a case of twitchy leg

• Options

Where did you read that then toby about the swindon half?? and that thread i was on about is www.clubhousehub.co.uk for all those cheap and club lead runs in the south west ...and other races

• Options
    i think that leg is going to be twitching very soon Toby! Does anybody dream about running?...Think its creeping its way into an obsession with me!!

@KeyserSuze Brighton is sold out for general entries so it would be charity places now..not sure what if any registration fees they charge. Standard entries started off at a lower price then they increased before they sold out.
  • Options

gemgemix - I have dreamed that I have run a 21 miler before, and it felt very real, but sadly it didn't count as a training run and I still had to get up the following morning and run it again!

Toby - I am currently having a small taper before Abingdon and I'm already very 'twitchy' and  irritable.

• Options

@gemgemx thanks!

£75 is a lot to pay - for those who've done it, is it a good run? Would you recommend it?

• Options

Charlotte - if only dreaming counted towards training runs, imagine how fit we'd be!

@KeyserSuze - sorry, this'll be my first time. I'm running for the MS Society: they want £40 entry fee and minimum £600 sponsorship. Everything I've read about this race has been positive though.

• Options
    My first too..only heard good things though.
  • Options

@keysersuze - welcome to the tread.

2013 will be my fourth Brighton marathon, and I have enjoyed the first three and am looking forward to running again next year, and from my experience I would recommend it. For the last three years we have had a medal and a t-shirt at the finish, along with a goody bag. The support around the course has been excellent, with just a few quieter points along the way, the last mile or two coming along the front towards the pier the crowds are brilliant.. There has also been some music and bands along the route as well. 

• Options

@Keysersuze i know oxfam e mailed me a week ago they want a £40 entry fee and to raise £450 for running Brighton marathon...ive ran it the last 3 years and its just a fab run and i always stay down in brighton the day before and the day after too ......not running next year as ive given myself the winter off of training but will still be coming down for the weekend to cheer everyone on...although i WAS VERY tempted to enter via the oxfam charity place route...

• Options

gemgemx - I started it...and this time I'll finish the race!image

But they still won't knock off the 8 miles I did unofficially in the first yearimage

• Options

Leg feeling a little easier this morning and slept a lot better last night, not waking up in pain so much.  

Thank you for all your nice comments.  It does feel great to think I have achieved my first goal towards the ultimate one of running the full marathon next April. 

• Options

Hi everyone,

tempted to do this marathon as my first in 20 years!! I know I'd have to buy a place through charity - I'll have a hunt and see what I can find. I'm doing  the GSR in 10 days and a HM mid November, so does the Brigthon seem manageable if I keep the training going?

Any thoughts on accommodation - I'd have to stay overnight on the Saturday?

Well done Poohbear what an achievement! 

• Options
    Definately doable jellybelly. If you can do a HM before training starts then it's completely achievable.....that's what I have to keep telling myself anyway!

Glad you are feeling better Poohbear.

I did my standard Tuesday 3 miler today and it's was so hard..harder than the 12 miles I did on Sunday??
  • Options

hi Yvonne thanks for the link have now saved as a favorite

swindon half

• Options

Hello all, first timer on this forum.  Was supposed to run Brighton in April, but got the flu four days before it.  Still went all the way down to Brighton from Glasgow hoping it was a minor cold and would clear up in time to run, but instead spent five days in my hotel room shivering like a jelly and coughing my lungs up - not a great way to spend hard-earned holidays!!!  I was so gutted as had been training hard and had also cost a fortune in accomodation etc.  Ran Liverpool Marathon on Sunday, which was absolutely amazing.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking to do an autumn marathon.  I'm entered for Brighton 2013 and hope to break the 4hr barrier after getting 4.02 in Liverpool - so close!!!    

• Options

Jellybaby - I'd agree that it's doable, especially if you're already up to running half marathons before the end of the year. Good luck!

DiogoDog - hi. Hope Brighton is a better experience this year for you. I've looked at the Liverpool Marathon but it didn't really appeal for some reason. Congrats on a great time though -  sub 4 hours in April is definitely on the cards!

• Options

Hi Wordslinger.   If you're thinking about an autumn marathon, then I'd definitely consider Liverpool if I were you.   I've only done Liverpool and Edinburgh (which totally sucks, its rubbish) and so I dont have a good deal of experience of these things, but my boyfriend has done nine marathons and says Liverpool is the best he's ever done.  It was absolutely amazing.   I was planning on giving myself a week of rest after it, but already I've got itchy feet ... image 

• Options

Done it!!!

Just got a place for Brighton with Oxfam image

Need to book plane and hotel for (very tolerant) husband and me.....

But, more seriously now - I'm running a HM on 18th Nov, but do I then continue to slowly increase my mileage and long runs, or drop back a bit for a month and pick up again at the beginning of the New Year?

Any ideas much appreciated.

• Options

I would say (because it's what my coach said) to drop your long runs back to 6 or 7 miles for a few weeks, and focus on building a solid base mileage throughout the week to strengthen yourself in preparation for hiking up the miles once you start your 16 weeks (or however long) of marathon specific training. He said high mileage at this point (ie long runs of 16 miles or above) aren't really necessary and risk stress fractures.

Welcome, anyway, Jelleybaby- sounds like your training is going well if you'll be ready for an autumn half!

Did my last tempo run today (which went brilliantly) before my half on the 28th image 

• Options

After my gruelling 14 on Sunday I managed 6 miles on Tuesday and 4 miles tonight.

Is it just me or are you guys sooooo hungry after a long run? I feel like I haven't stopped eating this week! image

• Options
    Was going to say the same Sarah - I dont have much experience but was going to drop back to 6 or 7 for my long runs as thats what my beginners marathon plan starts with.

Swervin - Know what you mean about the hunger - My 12 miles made me ravenous - It doesnt help that toward the end of my runs I go past a lovely little cafe - and the smell of bacon rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must look like a drooling psychopath as I run past.

9 day until HM - Scared but excited!

Anyone had any good/bad experience of getting analysed for new trainers. I have had no problems as such with my current sauconys but never ever had my gait analysed to say what I would be better suited to. My current trainers are proably coming to the end of their life as running in puddles have wrecked them.

Also would you get 2 pairs the same and rotate?

Any shop better or worse at advising what you need?