Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options
    Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Thank-you all for your nice comments about the photos.  I really have been enjoying my running recently.  In fact, all the races that I've run in my Mackem shirt have been enjoyable as I've stopped chasing a time and just been out to enjoy the run and the spirit of MTM.  image

My next race is a little five miler around the Queen Elizabeth Park in Stratford this coming Sunday.  I am doing the National Lottery Anniversary Run which finishes with a three quarter lap of the Olympic stadium.  The only drawback is that it starts at 10am and so it will mean an early start (ok for me but my OH does not usually get up that early!).  Last years National Lottery Olympic Park Run did not start that early as I remember having sausage and chips as my pre-race fuel!  I will probably bimble round the course with my camera to take some photos of the venues, etc. just like last time!

Hope everyone has fun out running in the warm weather.  I expect that the Thunder Runners would like things a little cooler for a couple of weeks time.
    XL - I hope you have a great time in Scotland.

• Options

Bob - I will be there runnimg with daughter and son. Did it last year as well but went for a time then as was on own. This year will be nice as will be going at their pace (probably 45 mins or there abouts - last year 35 mins). Weather looking hot for it but it will be great again - that 3/4 lap around stadium with 20,000 spectators will be awesome. Will you be in Mackem shirt if so I will look out for you - what start wave are you in we are in white.

• Options

Hello all,

I do follow the thread but only post sporadically. So exciting to see everybody's progress isn't it?

I have been injured (pulled the tendon behind my knee) and the physio told me not to run for 10 days. That time is up tomorrow so back to it!

I have to admit I am starting to panic. I run three times a week and have been building up slowly. The longest run I have done to date is 7.5 miles and the GNR is getting scary close now.

I am going to try a short loop tomorrow and test my knee then Weds is long run night. I run with a group (mixed age and ability) so there will be options on the length depending on how I feel.

Guess I am just feeling a bit scared. I will finish the GNR even if I have to crawl the last couple of miles but I would really love to run it. There is still tie to train isn't there?

• Options

Hi Lee-Anne, there's still plenty of time as long as you don't have another injury setback. Therefore, you may want to keep this week's long run a little shorter and build the miles up from next. As long as you've done 10 or 11 by race day, you'll get round. Obviously, do more if you can, but i wouldn't add any more than a mile a week to your long run. Keep us up to date with your progress. There's always plenty of advice on here.

• Options

Thank you so much. I will just build up slowly.

• Options
    Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

Hi Bearsted,
    I was in white last year and this year I am in green, which is probably about right.  However there are some "grading glitches" from some of the runners at my local parkrun where some who are similar speed as me are in white and some faster people are in green!
    I expect that I will be in the conformist t-shirt, however it may be interesting to run in the t-shirt from last year!  Last year I was under the impression that we had to wear the t-shirt and that the only person who did not was Nell McAndrew, the winner of the ladies race.  I order for me to be more easily spotted in the stadium, I wore yellow football socks, one up and one down...  This year they have actually said the shirt is not a requirement.
    I will probably take my "super zoom" round with me set in sport mode.  Last year I took the other half's compact camera and it did not stay in sport mode so there was a bit of motion blur in many of the photos.  Also she could not work my camera, so she did not take any photos of me on the track!
    Starting to look forward to seeing how the park has progressed!

• Options

Evening all!  Some great running going on here, as usual.

I've hardly dared peek my head around the door.  I didn't do the Skiddaw run- there, now I've said it!image.  Actually, I walked up part of the route few days later on an equally hot day and was very glad I didn't attempt running it. But the weather gave us a fabulous week of walking and camping although I 've never drunk so much water in my life.

We did our inaugural summer pud run yesterday- like mr sj, I don't run well in the heat and I don't think I've done a road race so slowly.  It was seriously horrible- hopefully the thunder run will be a bit cooler.

• Options

Dont count on it shadowfax ! Im forecasting scorchio, at least the eveninng laps will be cool !

Decided against doing the 5k race to tomorrow night, legs still feel wrecked and ive got another race on friday which i will be running rather than racing and then hopefully squeeze in a sports massage and fresh and ready for thunder run.

Been reading up on people that get fatigued in the heat, a lot of things point toward how much you sweat, i sweat buckets ! Guess its just one of those things as i remember as a child on holiday in tunisia and keeling over from the heat whilst queuing for an ice cream, i just dont function well in it.

Whoch doesnt bode well for today as its boiling already and im about to head off on a school trip with 30+ kids to a museum and spend the next 5 hourschasing them round and praying they dont drop their ipads, cant wait !

• Options

I've been picking up the game with training, hit 41 mile so far this month.

Also managed to do my first half marathon in a training session Half marathon 2h:48m:32s. So if i can hit that again or break it on the day i'd be happy 

• Options

mr sj- I sweat buckets too and don't run well in the heat.  It is said that a 2% loss of body weight in sweat causes a 6% loss of performance.  That's my excuse anyway...

• Options

Well done jamie !

shadowfax - so is there any way of improving our performance in the heat ? Taking in more fluids im guessinng will help, been reading up on 'nuun' tablets and different types of salt tablets that triathletes all seem to swear by but not sure if its all gimmicks or actually other some benefits.

• Options

Paula Radcliffe used an ice jacket to lower her core body temperature before a race. Then again, she also wore high socks and nostril openers! image As long as I'm well hydrated, I find running in heat OK, but seem to struggle a lot more if I'm running in direct sunshine. A lightweight, white running cap may be worth the investment. It worked for Andy Murray at Wimbledon.

Did 11 miles last night in just under 1.30 - my first long run for a while. Felt a bit achy from mile 8. Only 2 months to go - about 6 more long runs - to get the old legs used to the distance again.

• Options

Hello all,

I managed 6 miles tonight and my knee felt great! I found the humidity hard to deal with though.

My legs are stiff now I've sat down but I am just so relieved that I'm not in any pain! So next Weds is a longer run provided I survive my trail run on Sunday.

Does anyone else find they are more stiff and generally achy when it is hot and humid?

• Options

Lee - Anne great news about knee.

Did a 8 miler last night at 6pm and temp still 28oC but got through it.

• Options

Maybe an ice jacket is the answer then narrow feet, ice jacket and compression socks and run with a wobbly head and maybe rio 2016 is a possibility for me !  Ordered myself a lightweight running cap, so hopefully that will help me a little.

Well done lee-anne, great news about the knee.

Bearsted - well done on the 8 miler, i was out with the club on tuesday night at 7pm and it was 27 degrees with no wind and so humid, not a great night for 30 minutes of intense intervals !

• Options

Ice jackets sounds like a great idea right now.

been out for a 10k tis morning to get used to running in mad heat ready for Thunder Run next weekend image

hows everyone doing and who's looking forward to TR ? 

• Options

Me! image

Think I will stay Friday night this year as I can't get over til tea-time, so can someone save me a spot please? image

How is everyone?

• Options

Been out while its been a little cooler and got through 9 miles in 97 minutes. I'm no speedy runner but thats the longest Ive ever run and plenty of time before the big day. Tired legs now - but my word it feels good tonight. Montsh ago it all seemed so hard and far off and now its coming together.

Enjoy your weekend runs folks!

• Options

Hello everyone - haven't been on here regularly for ages:  filling in my job application form and then preparing for my interview (for my own job, which I've been doing with excellent feedback for 10 years image ) has taken up a lot of my spare time.  Plus, it's just been so bloody hot I haven't really feel like going out in it after sweltering all day in work.

However, with Thunder Run just around the corner, and with my interview now finally out of the way (6 rather weirdly phrased questions ... I was in there 50 minutes) I thought I'd better remind my legs what running feels like.

Managed 10.7 miles in 9.15m/m pace.  I found it pretty tough and felt quite sluggish.  At work for the past few weeks we've all been easing our job stress with loads of cake, so I'm paying the price for that now I think, lol.

Will fit in a couple of mid-week runs now before heading off to TR on Friday.  Mr sj - if you find any good salt tablets let me know, as I could do with some - I, too, sweat buckets and often think about taking little sachets of salt out with me when I'm running, but the thought of pouring them straight into my mouth makes me feel image.

Bob - well done on your racing, but I can't see your photo from your link, unfortunately.

Off to have some strawberries and cream now, freshly picked from my garden this morning.

• Options

Hi All, 

I've been keeping up with the forum but not had much time to post lately. I swear I have less free time when I'm training less! 

Has anyone figured out how to fix the bookmarks? I have to search for the forum every time I log on. It's really irritating!

• Options

Shielsey - after some research i opted for nuun tablets, not specifically salt tablets but they are to replenish everything lost when sweating.  Got them from the nuun website, paid 12 quid as a special offer for the banana ones.  Not the greatest tasting but so far so good !

• Options

Hi all

I am also someone who follows this thread and have been off and on .. mainly off for the past few years.

I am just hoping for some advice - I am down to do the GNR this year, I have got accomodation and a train sorted. But I noticed that Nirvana do a coach service from South Shields to Newcastle at the end. It costs £15 and I was wondering about booking. I will need to be at the station by 530pm latest so just wondered if its better to book or just queue and wait for public transport? Any help would be much appreciated . .. 

EP X

• Options

Banana flavoured water? Bleurgh. I have High 5 Zero in berry flavour. 

• Options

EP - I suspect that depends largely on how long it will take you to run the race. Last time I ran I just made my way straight to the Metro station and was back in Newcastle less than an hour after crossing the finish line. I believe the queues get quite large at peak finishing time though. 

• Options

Thanks CC2 - I am slow but was hoping that I could be back in Newcastle for 5.30pm? Thinking of doing it in 230-245 hrs region. Thanks again. x

• Options

Mr SJ - according to a recent issue of running fitness, cola nuun tabs are the most palatable.

CC2 - if you go to settings at the top right and then scroll to forum settings near the bottom you can follow threads. If not already you need to make sure that when on this thread it says you are following at the top (usually does it automatically if you look at it I've discovered). I hope this makes some sense.

EP - I would think you would have time to get the metro if you don't hang about in South Shields too long. The time it took me longear was on a shuttle as it waited till full before leaving and was stuck in traffic for ages.

• Options

Shielsy - did you get your job?

• Options

BBC weather forecast is showing sun and rain and hot for the Thunder run- oh joy!

• Options

Its going to be a fun weekend shadowfax !