Options

Hadrian's Wall 2014

Comments

• Options

Hey everyone, I have booked the same hotels too, although i'm doing the 2 day option so will be staying in the Premier Inn on Sunday not Saturday. Not brave enough to go for the one day yet?!

My first marathon will be Brighton as I got my "Sorry" mag for VLM today! Then the Rock n Roll marathon in Liverpool.

Matt where do you think you will stay on the Saturday night then?

Definitely excited for this!!! imageimage

• Options

Hi Lisa!! I think the 2 days option would be sooo much harder for me! So good on you! I will be in the premier inn on the Sunday night although after running through the night Saturday I cant imagine I will be able to leave the room until Monday morning.

I would love to try and get up though and watch some of the runners finishing in the evening so may have to force myself!

I also got my smurf sorry mag this morning image - thinking of doing either the Shakespear or Hamburg Marathon instead.

I did the Rock n Roll Half in Edinburgh in April - was gale force winds and sleeting but still a great event.

• Options
    So.... If I was stupidly considering this does anyone have any promo codes to get any reduction?
  • Options

I have just today finished Chris Foremans The Wall Ultramarathon. If I wasnt excited before, I am now!! Almost wish I had chosen the 2 days option as it looks like I will be running past some beautiful sceanery in the dark. However not liking the sound of the 'very very very big bloody hill' at mile 33!

• Options

Sounds cool JB! That's the reason I chose the 2 day option so I could admire the route and scenery along the way! image Hill sounds scary though? image

• Options

Cannot believe i've just spent that much on the opportunity to flog myself to death :0

The hotel mentioned by a few seems to have their booking system down at the moment.  I must try that again later to get into the same hotel.

Add me to the mad people doing 1 day image

• Options

Firstly get your hotel booked sooner rather than later, because rooms in Carlisle will get sold out in the run up to this fight.  Hadrian would not have approved of this race because he built his wall to segregate the people of England from those of Scotland, and this event has the opposite effect.  The course markings in this event are frequent, and the checkpoints are always well stocked.  The race has a lot of features of historical interest en route. 

It was dark when I came into the finish at Newcastle.  A lot of drunken Geordies cheered me as I came in along the river, though I don’t know if they knew why they were cheering me.  Eventually I crossed the MillenniumBridge and came into the finish line.  After having my photo taken I was given a hot meal.  I was provided with a sleeping bag and a roll mat and permitted to sleep in a marquee with other finishers.  In the morning they gave me another hot meal before I made my way home. 

• Options
    Cool will sort out hotel.

What equipment do I need ... Will look at the list later but at least I have time to get things over a few months.

Have a petzel rxp2 head torch so that's sorted (didn't need for Ladybower, if I 'd been another 5 to 10 mins I would have)

I guess my main thing is to work out how small a rucksack I need to wear image

Do you turn up on the morning pre 7 ready to run with your clothes from day before/after in another bag and they transport them to the far end for you?
  • Options

I wanted to point out that as I am Italian from at least 6 generations back (give or take the occasional foreign relative) I am probably related to Hadrian.

Therefore that is my wall.

Any grievances you may have, do take them up with me. You shall be eaten by my lions.

Oh, and do call me Empress.

• Options

Well, I'm booked in for the one dayer next year and the travelodge. 

@booktrunk: last year I needed the regular running stuff plus a jacket (went for the montane minimus) for when the weather turned a bit nasty and a lightweight fleece for when I ended up walking more than I'd like. Carried it all in a camelbak. I'd bought some waterproof trousers and some running tights but promptly forgot them. I also took a USB battery pack for my mobile because I'm such a geeky type. Doing the one day, I'll need head torch and reflectiveness. 

• Options
    Yep got a battery pack that does phone and garmin. I work in IT, full blown geek image

Seen lots rave about the montane minimus. So will take a serious look at those.

A pair of shorts / tights / waterproof legs. Top and coat, light / spare batteries for everything. Food n water ... Not to horrendous. Is there a course map we need to take?
  • Options

so many of us doing the one day event! Gonna be amazing. We should all meet either in the Ibis on the friday night or the premier inn on the Sunday evening for a drink.

• Options

You will want a Gore-Tex jacket or similar for this event, because you will be out in the open for a long time, and in some fairly wild places, if it turns out to be a wet one.

• Options

The montane minumus jacket was one of the best things I bought, I considered a cheaper one but I was really glad I went for the one I did, it's a futuristic thing of wonder. 

Ididn't carry much food - just some flapjack and I had plenty of enegy gels and a bladder full of running juice. I'm hoping the one day will be at least pychologically easier. I stayed in a lovely comfy bed on the the Saturday last year, felt fine but walking down the stairs and getting int he car to start on Sunday was really rough.

A Friday meet sounds good. We strugled to get in anywhere appart from Wetherspoons on the Friday but that was lack of planning (and realy the nerves meant anythign more than a superbean salad would have been wasted on me).

Anyone know what the best garmin for such a long run is? My forerunner 410 ran out on the second day even with an overnight charge. 

Oh and don't do it all in trail shoes, that was stupid.

• Options
    My 610 will not last have a battery pack can stuff it away and charge for a whileimage doing that twice will get it through. Might have something newer by then . Someone suggested the garmin cycle computers.

I'm going to hunt around there are some cheap sub 100 watches with king lasting batteries
  • Options

Booked into the Ibis Carlisle for the Friday the 20th... Sounds like there are quite a few of us there now image

Look forward to seeing you all. *High 5*

• Options

***High 5***

I am trying not to worry too much about this until mid-October. Chester marathon first, then total geeky-ness about equipment, timing and training.

In the meanwhile I have DEVOURED  'Relentless Forward Motion' in about 2 hours.

• Options
    So... Really need a decent coat n rucksack then I 'm sorted.

Kept saying I hated camelbak style packs, then resorted to a cheap ??22 in my first ultra after 20 miles and loved it. Slightly saved me and I'm converted now.
  • Options

I'd say so. For two days, the camelbak backpacl was more than enough. I don't expect I'd want any more for the one dayer. 

Recommend having a tryout of a few coats. The montane smock is a fair bit cheaper than the jacket but I found it annoying to put on and take off. It was showerery this year and I ended up swapping back and forth a fair bit. 

• Options

ok - so facebook page for next years the wall set up - I have asked a couple of friends who are physios and experienced ultra marathon runners to join to help out with questions/queries and also a couple of people who did it last year who have said that they will happy to share their experience!! Please join and lets stay in touch over the tough winter months.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/453599611422170/

• Options

With regard to jackets:

A good hood is essentially what makes or breaks a waterproof jacket.  Try it on and do up all the toggles on the hood. Next rotate your head right and left.  Does the hood follow your head without impairing your vision?  Next reach up to a high   point on the wall.  Does your midriff get exposed when you do this?

If you are ever in an outdoor shop, and you see a jacket from a major brand that you have never tried on, then take the opportunity to try it on. 

• Options
    Thanks Ben we have a large go outdoors in our town and a big Cotswold store near my office I go to once a weekimage

So as you say will do some experimenting.
  • Options
    Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

With regard to jackets:

A good hood is essentially what makes or breaks a waterproof jacket.  Try it on and do up all the toggles on the hood. Next rotate your head right and left.  Does the hood follow your head without impairing your vision?  Next reach up to a high   point on the wall.  Does your midriff get exposed when you do this?

If you are ever in an outdoor shop, and you see a jacket from a major brand that you have never tried on, then take the opportunity to try it on. 

Great advice - I bet that 'one jacket fits all' really does not apply here. My problem is I want one that will not ride up my back as i run with my back pack. My current windproof (but not waterproof) seems to get sucked up by my running vest (Nathan Vapour Shape) so I am forever pulling it down!

• Options

Jennifer, some people are tall and thin, while others are short and squat. 

It is the same with jackets. 

The trick is to find the brand whose idea of what the average person is shaped like, is closest to you! 

• Options

Hi all.

Another 1st timer here. Entered for the one day and booked the Travelodge in Carlisle. In the excitement, forgot to book something at the other end in Newcastle! Glad I've found this thread as it's reminded me I need somewhere to stay after I've (hopefully) finished.

• Options

Ooh good idea about trying the jackets out first, will find some local running shops and see what I find!

• Options

Want to enter this (1 dayer) just need to build up some courage, oh and tell the mrs!

What happens at the end of the one day event? Not sure what time I would finish in. Do you book a hotel and check in at 2 in the morning? Or whatever time you manage to get into Newcastle?

• Options

Guess so.. I'm actually thinking of having my OH at the end with the car, and hopefully a sandwich then fall asleep in the car with him driving home back to the east midlands... Cheapskate that I am image

• Options

I have booked hubby into a hotel around the corner from the finish line on the Saturday night and I will call him when I am about 4-5 miles from the end so he can get his butt up and walk over to meet me (then probably carry me back to the hotel) I am not expecting to finish til about 3am (about 20 hours). I have also booked the room for the sunday night so I can sleep all day Sunday to recover!

• Options

Jennifer: That is sooo tempting.. Might join you we could have a party! image