Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

lol booktrunk that would mean going for a run between 20.30 and 21.30, Im normally in bed for 21.30. I prefer the morning run's wakes me up for the day ahead. 

• Options

Welcome back Stevie! I agree that one of the best things about running is all you need really is your trainers and you can go and enjoy your surroundings!

I find it FAR easier running outside than inside. I find treadmills demoralising! But then again, I haven't really trained through a winter yet - this will be my first, so we'll see how long that lasts image

Training plan said to do a fast 3m last night and I extended it to 5k. I set it in a personal best time (Sub 26! Close to my end of year target of Sub 25), but I'll test the quality of Endomondo's stats against my local parkrun on saturday. Cross country so its a bit different to a flat road run, but hopefully i'll come close.

• Options

Thats a good time Matty, went for another run on the treadmill, set the incline to 1  and did week 5 day 2 of C25K. 2 x 8min jog/run sections. I managed it with out any issues other than it was hard work but I found listening to my own music and covering the time on the treadmill allowed me to run much more relaxed and no clock watching. 

• Options

Thanks Matty.  Had a few days off to get over the excesses of the last weekend so going to try and get out there tonight.  Well done on the runs guys!

• Options
    Decided to weight myself today. Last Last Sunday 112.2 kg, today with same clothes on(jeans and tshirt) 110.4kg. Looks the running is working image
  • Options

Well done wrensnest that's about 4lb I think - impressive.  I think running is the best way of losing weight especially if you like food whichI definitely do.  I think I've lost over a stone since July when I started running again without really dieting. I am off the booze for October though and that is maybe helping. 

Did my longest run so far yesterday 4.5milesin just under an hour. Quite pleased with that esp as my calves were quite sore for most of it, I think my stretching regime needs to improve.  Any ideas?  

• Options

Cathy, do you have a foam roller? We bought ours from Argos for about £20, and there are some exercises here on the RW site; using one does make a difference.

Sorry have been a bit quiet; few health issuse at the moment which are 'under investigation'. Still plodding along and managing a couple of runs a week, but low mileage. Super proud of my Hubby though; he ran his first Marathon two weeks ago in Bournemouth, sub 4 hours! My two teenage girls also ran their first 5k on the Saturday night (as did I), the 'sporty one' only beat the 'new to running but quietly training all summer' by a minute, so I foresee lots of healthy competition in the future.

If you'd said three years ago that our entire family would have gone away for a weekend to a running festival, I'd have laughed in your face!

• Options

Tina I've no idea what you do with a foam roller other than spread paint on walls but I will investigate!!! Thanks for the tip. Sounds like your whole family have really got the bug. Hope your medical issue gets sorted soon and doesn't stop you running. 

• Options

Great work WNR, keep running and watch those kilos melt away!  Very impressed with the Smith family, well done!

Couple of steady runs this weekend, a nice 5.2 miles on Friday night and then took a bit of a wrong turn on my 7.5 miler last night and ended up doing 8.7!  Had also forgotten my phone so got back to several texts from the better half wondering where I was, she had visions of me lying in a gutter with a twisted ankle or worse apparently!

• Options

Congrats WNR! Thats awesome news image

Cathy, well done on the 4.5 miler! Those distances are building nicely. I've heard good things about a foam roller, may invest in one myself. Basically you use it to roll on your legs and works a bit like a massage.

Tina, sub for is awesome for the hubster! And I love that you've gone on a family race weekend!

I did interval training on Friday night then parkrun on Saturday. I am on the core volunteer team, and this is the first oportunity in the 7 weeks since we started that I've been able to run it. I managed 27.11, which I was pretty pleased with. Our parkrun is a pure cross country course, and it is tough. So 1 minute over my PB on flat tarmac was quite pleasing. I'm doing Basingstoke parkrun in a couple of weeks which is a bit flatter and will be a true measure of my improvement as I haven't run that one for a couple of months.

• Options

I did go for a run Sunday morning down the local canal, just couldn't get into gear at all, tried to do 20min jog using the c25k app. My hips just would not loosen up at all so walked/jog the 20 min.

Got home did some stretches to loosen my hips up. Did the same stretches yesterday as well.
    Today went to the gym to do the 20 min jog, managed to do 16-17 min with couple of slower paced moments and did some stretches afterwards as well. Guess being 40 and overweight these things will crop up image

• Options
    Easy 5k this evening. Bloody awful weather! About 9 minutes slower than my Saturday 5k time, but was a good recovery jog and my muscles feel back to normal!
  • Options

I've been struggling this week had really bad knee pain on Mon after my long run Sat followed by zumba on sun. However it seems to have settled down a bit today so I'm going to try a bit of a treadmill run tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I can't bear the idea of not being able to run.  Maybe the change in weather is affecting all us old folkimage

• Options

Hi, back from Japan where I managed all of 1 run. It was still worth taking the gear though image

Back in the groove this week, starting my marathon training. Will be using Asics plan, with some tweaks - a few more longer distance runs.  the running total tells me I have run 2 out of 110 runs and 9 miles out of 636. it's a LONG way to go...

• Options

Hope the knee clears up soon Cathy, easy does it!

Wow Rachel, Japan!  Even one run would be amazing in such a wonderful location.

A brisk 5.75 miles tonight which took me to 366 for the year towards my target of 500.  It's going to be tight but I'm going for it!

• Options

Cathy, sometimes you just have to rest it up. Maybe if you have access to a cross trainer try that for a bit of low impact and bring the knee back up?

Rachel, Japan sounds awesome! Good luck with the Mara training. Those numbers will soon start cascading and once you reach the halfway point you'll soon watch them tumble!

Stevie, well done that sounds like you need to hit about 18 miles a week? Definitely acheivable, keep it up.

I did a fast 5k last night as part of my Asics training plan for the upcoming 10k. in the "Getting Faster" stage and I have to say, so far I am impressed. Knocked 30 seconds off my PB last night (25:21), which I only set last week! It must be the interval training.

I set a personal target of a sub 25 5k at the start of the year which Up until this week i didn't think would be acheivable. Now I'm definitely up for it. Obviously I need to do it at a properly timed event so it'll be basingstoke parkrun a week on saturday, fingers crossed. Failing that I'll have another bit of the cherry around Christmas.

• Options

I manage 4.5k this morning on the treadmill using the C25k app in 34min which Im inpressed with. Hopefully be doing 5k in 30 min, thats my goal for this year apart from completing the Suicide 6 race in Nov. 

• Options

Well done Matty and WNR good stuff.

Actually Matty it's only 13.6 miles per week so definitely do-able! image

• Options

Just invested in a Petzl XP2 head torch after a couple of near tumbles in the dark.  Will report back on my thoughts.  Anyone else use a head torch whilst out running?

• Options

Stevie,  not used a head torch but thinking about it. As I haven't trained in the winter, then no idea how I'm going to fit in the required distances over the next few months!  Last year, it was all on the treadmill with only the occasional visit out at the weekend. Don't think i could do 10miles+ on treadmill!!!

So really looking forward to hearing how it goes

• Options

Went for my first head torch run last night, a slow 8 miles. Chest felt really tight for the first few miles but a few puffs on the inhaler and slowly things improved until I felt fine over the last couple of miles. The head torch however was excellent, glad I went for the Petzl XP2 instead of the brighter but heavier Myo. It was comfortable and didn't inhibit my running at all! It also meant I was able to run down paths that I can normally only do in the daytime, the diffuser spreading the light out to very efficiently. It was the first time I've run with a head torch and I have to say I was very impressed and am now looking forward to getting off road again in the evenings!

• Options

I ran witha  headtorch for the first time last night. Can't remember what it was called, it was recommended in the Gear forum. But it was bright enough, able to be tilted to suit my running style and has a red light on the back (Which can also flash). I thought it would be very uncomfortable but it wasn't and actually, by concentrating on keeping the beam straight actually helped my form!

Update on my training - due to the missus birthday I missed a couple of days training and started the catchup on sunday. Unfortunately to catch up I need to do back to back runs for 5 days!

Sunday - High intensity intervals for about 2.5 miles. Average pace and distance both improved compared to last weeks session.
    Monday - Fast 5k. No PB but I did have to stop for a phone call. Endomondo paused but I could probably still knock 30 seconds off for that by the time it realised I'd stopped and started again. Take that into consideration I was only about 20 seconds slower - which I'll take!

Tonight - Slow recovery 5k which I'm hoping will give me some energy for the next session
    Tomorrow - Fast 5k, want to hit another training PB
    Thursday - Intervals

This is all leading up the doing basingstoke parkrun on saturday, which I am really REALLY hoping for a sub 25m time. But we will see!

• Options

Good luck Matty, sounds like a very busy week!  Don't forget that rest days are vital in training too!

• Options

Hi Matty is it  one of these http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345 ? 

I brought one after going through the forum as well, great torch for running in!

Starting to build up my stammina now being able to run longer and tad more quicker but this is more to with being more relaxed and getting stronger while running.

• Options

Thats the one, Alpkit! Wicked well priced device.

• Options

So training continues. One run to work, one run at lunchtime this week. 4miles @10:24/mile, 5miles @ 10:14/mile.  Thinking I'm going to be doing more lunchtime runs than i like, as they're going to be done in daylight.   My plan has 4 runs a week, so doing 2 in week, 2 at weekend.   Going to be doing Old Deerpark parkrun at weekend, but as I'll be running the 4m there, won't be a fast pace!

• Options

I did some core workout class on Tuesday at the gym.

Worked from home Wednesday morning so I went for run round my local route. Ouch I ached pretty bad, still enjoyed my run though. I say run more a awkward gander.

Still ache today round my hips but going for another run tomorrow round my local route, hopefully I won't  look so awkward looking while trying to jog lol. 

• Options

Nice cross country 4.78 miles @ 9:17 pace this morning, including the big hill (a mile long) that dominates the next race I'm doing (Tadworth Ten in January), so good practice!  Felt good!  Have a good weekend of running everyone!

• Options

WrensNestRunner (err, are you from Dudley?) I've found the core work to be essential, especially all the work in the hip/groin area. I think that is what has helped me avoid injury. I do pilates and then some exercises at home to keep them in shape.

My weekend runs were 4m run to Park Run, with the target of running the parkrun in a PB, which I managed by 12secs! image Happy to see I am improving my stamina on this. Then 9m this morning which was definitely on tired legs, so slow and steady. The tow path on the river still has trees across the path, so it involved some hurdling too...

• Options

Hi Rachel, Yes Im from Dudley, what gave it away. Went for my run on Saturday round the Wrens nest nature reserve. Really enjoyed it now my core has stopped hurting. Went for a run this morning at the gym not so good, just didn't have any get up and go. Managed 4k which isn't to bad just I have a 10k race in 3wks so need to up things a little.