Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Wenty nowhere near as many miles as you. I'm around 911 that's all. last year I did about 420m in my first 7 months of running. wanted 1,000 this year but might get stuck at 950 as have a slightly iffy left knee.

• Options

you surprise me BT - still alot of miles. I would have thought Ultras would bring mega mile training.

makes your effort even more impressive with less training. image Where does it all stop?

Come on Cas - still no blog - what am i surposed to do at work!!!!

• Options

Typing it as we speak....it's just so many distractions....!

• Options

Type faster faster faster........................

• Options

haha poor Cas.

Wenty: where does it stop... not sure, next year i might have to put in a proper amount of mileage the interesting thing is I guess i'll find out if I am going to actually get any quicker or just be able to plod along at the same speeds for longer.  I'm hoping to be able to get quicker, but I think next year is a big year for me, it will be when i decide if i'm a nice plodder who will try to stick to 2 sub 5h marathons a year, or if i'm someone that wants to keep pushing myself further and faster image

• Options

BT - Not furthe but def faster! image

• Options

http://www.ashbournenewstelegraph.co.uk/Health-and-Beauty/Fitness-and-Sport/CAROLYNS-MARATHON-BLOG-Im-paying-the-price-for-having-fun-20131206091527.htm

I'm back on track, did 5 miles last night and took 3 minutes off my previous best time, Have also started some fartlek stuff. Well, I try speeding up between lamp posts! This week I also have a hill session planned with a running friend. Eek. 

BT...I'm putting my money of you branching out to do a triathlon. Don't know why, but it's a feeling! X

• Options

Nahhh thought about it, but I cannot really swim had 4 lessons thus year thinking about tri's but I just am not a swimmer. image ultras n off road if I do other stuff. I can now swim about 1 length I guess not bad for 4 hours swimming but I just stink at it, and I'm a little scared of water! *blush* 

• Options

Cascita Sooooo......... What is your training plan for the next week. You cannot hide if you tell us what you have planned image

• Options
    Uff it's Christmas!! Wine and chocolates and fish and chips! Well I did 5 miles yesterday and have 5 on Wednesday. Hills work Thursday and long run of 9 miles on Saturday. I'm tired just thinking about it!! I long for those sweet 2.5 miles again c
  • Options

Cas this is my 2014

May 5, Milton Keynes Marathon In 4:29

June 21, The Wall 69m with A target 15h, B 17.5h, C complete it.

August 22, Ridgeway challenge hilly 86m, only target is to complete it.

Sept 21, Ladybower 50m ran to heart rate (saving energy for next weekend).

Sept 28, Loch Ness Marathon, giving it everything (100%) to beat Andi. 

---

2015 do a 100m plus race possibly ocean floor challenge. Or one of the multi day UK Events.

EDIT: imagine the tan from running 160m across a desert.

• Options

I think I just peed in awe!! Blimey, that's impressive BT and I'm jealous of your addiction and commitment, very impressive. You'd better beat Andi, I watch your conversations with amusement (Hi Andi,)

running in the desert though. Why!!

I'm shamed into considering entering another half next year. I don't think I will keep going with marathanons, as I am finding it tough to get up to distanice but I do enjoy my 5 milers......

• Options

Marathanons are simply those who run marathons anonymously.

Or can't spell before coffee in the morning.

• Options

Cas - i said that until my first marathon! - Never say never...

BT - you need your head testing.....certified nutter

• Options

Cas: Once you've done one it's not as difficult it's basically plan them around 5 -6 months apart beginning with London or one around then, then you do the first marathon, take a week or two off and then do maintenance milage for a month then you are on week 1 of a new plan... Then you run your september / october marathon. Have a couple of weeks off... run maintenance mileage until you get through Xmas and start again image

• Options

I just want to pop in briefly and say great work and progress Cas on the running so far. 

Im running London as my first marathon and getting really excited and into all the training, 

The long runs are a bit daunting at first, but once I relax into them I really enjoy it. When I cant be bothered to run, feel tired or lazy (happens too often) I tell myself to just go out for a mile run. I always find getting out of the door the hardest part. 

Sometimes when Im running if I need a distraction, I tell myself to run to the next lampost/ street corner/ post box (whatever is close by) then I can have a break, but when I get there I always carry on to the next point. Keeps it going in small chunks. 

Just thought id share a few of my tips as I was reading the earlier posts about needing some mental tricks to keep u going. 

Good luck with the rest of your plan, il be watching/lurking image

• Options

Well done everyone on so me great runs. I am stratung the plan this week but . . got a cold . .yep . .and just in bed early. Need to get my head around this super quick as I was really keen to run this year

Thanks for the tips Ksizzle 

• Options

Ksizzlepod - good advice, I often do the same thing but i have moved from lamp posts to points further apart especially on longer runs then fool myself I'm almost home!

Hope that cold clears up Plodder!

• Options

Ksizzle - thanks for the comments, I was using your tricks last night when my friend introduced me to the pleasures of hill reps. I was convincing myself to just do one lamp post more, then she would challenge me to one extra, so I pushed to do another after that...today I can barely walk! No, it's ok, but I do have a sore hammie. Not pulled, just aching so might lay off running this weekend and just bike. The blog below descibes the hell I went though for those wo read my nonsense.

Envious, I have been dying to catch that cold so I can take some time off! No, really, hope it goes fast, it's frustrating I know when something so simple lays you low.

http://www.ashbournenewstelegraph.co.uk/Health-and-Beauty/Health-and-Wellbeing/CAROLYNS-MARATHON-BLOG-20131213091947.htm

• Options

Great blog again image The bending more n more as you get tired, would that possibly be a sign that you need to do more cross training to improve your core strength so your body itself isn't starting to collapse when you are running out of energy?

• Options

Bloody good idea BT, why didn't I think of that! I feel like my tummy is slowly folding in on itself, so I bet that is what the problem is. I need to rest my hammie for a couple of days so I will do some core stuff. Now I just need to find out WHAT core stuff is....I guess it's more than sit ups??

x

• Options

Go have a look in the training section on this site image

I found these kettlebell weight exercises. I do them 1 to 3 times a week depending on how lazy I am feeling. They are noticeable, my tummy is getting flatter and feels stronger. I also just do some sit-ups when I remember and feel like it.image

http://therunningbug.co.uk/training/plans-and-tips/b/weblog/archive/2012/05/09/4-kettlebell-exercises-and-why-they-work-for-runners.aspx

i spent £50 on two sets of 2,4,6 & 8 kg weights on amazon so I have 2 of each weight to work with. 

Hope that gives you some ideas.

• Options

Thanks - will take al ook. Funny, we have a kettlebell class started here, and I keep thinkign about going, especially after you rave about them. I dont mind doing sit ups but find them so boring - I was also thinking a good dance class with some Strictly style moves would help......shame I just need an image Artem lookalike to motivate me!

• Options

Tart image

i am a little pickled, recovering from Xmas party image

• Options

It's only taken 18 pages to work out I am a tart??!! Ha ha!

Xmas party pickledness sounds fun - I am off to do the same myself tonight!

• Options

Cas I was doing hill reps on Wednesday last week and boy do they hurt. But the difference I feel from doing them, regular running just feels much more comfortable. So I figure its definitely worth the short amount of discomfort. My core needs working on too so il be doing more work on that over the next few weeks. 

Hope the tight hammy isnt anything too dodgy and sorts itself out soon. 

• Options

Hill repeats are great, but watch out as they are a receipe for injury if not careful.

I have a torn calf muscle for hills last weekend! started off too fast with now warm up!

I have portsmouth marathon next weekend so not looking good!

Not read Cas's latest blog yet - looking forward to reading it today!

• Options

Just read this thread from start to finish and will actively follow it from now on.  Just wanted to say keep up the great work, its great to see another beginer starting out, and its inspring to see the races you have booked yourself for next year!  

I started in October i think, have a 10k planned in May and half Marathon in October, keep thinking that is a lot of distance to get up to, a whole marathon in april - well i take my hat off to you!!  I got up to 3 miles  running non stop fairly quickly, although my pace is seriously slow!! Then had a back problem which put me out of action for three weeks and have now just started my official Asics plan.  

Like you I am loving the thought of loving to run, and a lot of the time I am nearly in that mindset, just need to make it the normal mindset if that makes sence!?

Going to hop over to your blog now to have a read.

Good luck with the rest of your training plans, i will watch avidly your progress xx 

• Options

Watto - It is a lot of distance but its the first 10k that is the hardest i think when you start out. When you have that base then it becomes more mentally challanging and less physically challanging, which is what most people find so satisfying about the longer distances.

Sounds like you are doing well... maybe even enjoying it !image