Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good miles and paces from Gul, AR and Ant already today. Making me feel very sloth-like for my rest day! image

And Minni, surely there's some festive cheer to be had? image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice one Ant. 

MsE - what's caused the latest injury?  You really are having some bad luck.  Hopefully a break over Christmas will see you back and ready to go come January.

VLM is only SIXTEEN weeks.  I'm excited aleady. image

• Options

I agree that shoe wear is affected by body weight, running conditions and footfall. I do believe that you can extend the life of a shoe and reduce injury risk by running with better form. I’ve been actively trying to improve my form for the last few years and have had less niggles despite a significant increase in mileage. I’ve slowly increased my cadence and ensure that I don’t over stride.

Here’s the results of a clinical trial concluding that  ‘subtle increases in step rate can substantially reduce the loading to the hip and knee joints during running and may prove beneficial in the prevention and treatment of common running-related injuries.’

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20581720

My cadence is about 175 when running slow and surpasses 190 when running fast. It averaged 188 during my last half marathon race. It used to peak at 175 and was a lot less running slow.

• Options

I usually change shoes after about 400-500 miles, as I can feel my knees complaining ever more loudly and I generally feel more tired. Weight definitely has something to do with it - I get up to 14st at some points of the year and that is a lot to expect a shoe to deal with. I should say I'm now 13st 8 and hope to get down to under 13 stone for VLM. I am 6ft 3, though.

Interesting stuff about cadence, Badbark. I did sessions where I listened to a metronome at 180, 185 and 190 for sections and it definitely helps - think I'll, do that again soon.

Minni - Can't we think of something a bit jollier? Give me a day or two...

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

6ft 1in and currently 13st 9lbs (and dropping image ). I also get sore knees as my trainers get to the 500 mile mark. I seem to have proven that shoes with 500+ miles on them make my knees sore by running in new shoes pain free and going back to the 500+ shoes (same model) to see sore knees return.

I've been gradually tweaking my running form over the past year and I think it's starting to pay off. Legs and knees feel quite good at the moment.

SB

• Options

Snowing this morn and quite windy so I thought id better get out incase it got any worse .It was 1c but with the wind it felt more like -10 thought me face was going to freeze the first mile  . Nice easy 6 miles with some hills and had warmed up nicely by the end.image

• Options

No running for me today, but I did take a long walk up to the local shops. It was lovely weather when I left the house. With no brolly or scarf. Needless to say it was not lovely weather 15 minutes later. Brrr. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - your 20M race vs VLM research made me smile (you have too much spare time !), difficult to assess that sort of stuff as for every person thats doing the 20M as a training run, there's probably another doing VLM as a day out/training run. I agree with the comment that Bramley is so far out from VLM that it probably doesnt matter how fast folks run it though.

AR - tempo as 6:13 ! If you're going to run VLM in 2:43 then that has to become somewhere around MP I guess.

Minni - getting excited at 16 weeks ! surely you need to convert that to ~112 sleeps then. You've been spending too much time on those competition threads. BTW, have you volountered to be a mentor (if selected)?

BB - not suprised on that shoe mileage, the more folks run (if lots of it is easy) then the more robust they become IMO.

Seeing as its "only" 16 weeks then I have plenty of time yet, but have started getting in training for the training. I did a long run of 18M last weekend and a couple of double digit runs last week (none this week yet though). 

• Options

It's not quite 16 weeks yet. 16 weeks on Sunday. Schedule starts on Monday image

• Options

MsE, that's tough, you have had more than your fair share. Good luck

Orenzo - you must have noticed that Stockport station's charms are inversely proportional to its large size. But if stuck in the area again you can come for a run with the very welcoming Stockport Harriers

God Rest Ye Minni Gentlemen? Away Min a Manger?

First full Christmas dinner of the season tonight. Three more to survive. The joys of a slightly dysfunctional family.image

• Options

MsE - that's not great news. Hope it sorts itself out quickly. Enjoy Mexico.

Poacher - as you say, not a charming station. Also not ideal to be getting on a later afternoon train from Manchester to Stoke on the same day that United are playing at, er, Stoke.

Minni - how about Cliff Richard's classic homage to female Northumbrian athletes: "Minni's toes and wine"?

BTW I'm in the "I love Christmas dinner" camp: turkey, ham, roast veg, bread sauce, stuffing - the full Monty. Happy to pass on the pudding though.

Managed a triple today, albeit with the sum total of just under 7 miles on various stages of the commute to and from work.

• Options

How about "I Saw Minni Kissing Santa Claus"? Or did you have that before? Even if you did...

+1 for being in the 'I love Christmas dinner' camp - turkey, chestnut and sausagemeat stuffing, roasties (incl. the sensational parsnips), sprouts and pigs in blankets. I'm also having a (shop-bought) pudding this year. It's an excuse to dig out a decent dessert wine, really... 

• Options

I'm in for a rather poor score on the Christmas dinner front. It is looking like one, and I won't be in control of any of the elements. I'll struggle through though.

TR AR - tempo as 6:13 ! If you're going to run VLM in 2:43 then that has to become somewhere around MP I guess.

Yes that is the rather ambitious target that was set. Feels more like Half Marathon to me, but I'll plough on with the process.

The base Hanson plan I have been set is now linked in this thread (apologies for the dullness)

Also-rans Hanson thread with the linky bit to his plan

• Options

Ant - very nice MLR there, Sir.
    SB - go easy on those track intervals.
    Leslie - With snow already, I'm guessing you're from up North somewhere?
    TR - good base training going down.
    AR - Thanks for the link - I'll have a peek later.
    Definitely can't beat a traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings - but it's got to be a home-made pudding with brandy sauce to finish.
    6 slow miles @ 9:11 m/m d&d. Only 23 weeks tomorrow until the Roadrunner marathon!

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

Leslie - With snow already, I'm guessing you're from up North somewhere?

The snow didnt stay at all , looked like it might for a short time only as it was quite heavy, Im over in Northern Ireland and we didnt get any within 20 miles of here last year at all although 60 miles down the road they had 15 foot drifts which probally hasnt happened in 50 years.

• Options

7 very gentle miles with the club last night. Nobody was timing but I would think it was around 9 minute miling, which was a good job as I didn't finish my rather large office christmas dinner until 4:30, so the main goal of the evening was not to leave said dinner out on the course somewhere as pavement pizza.

My shoes seldom make it beyond 500 miles as I wear the outside corner off the heel very quickly. When I wore Ecco shoes I've been know to be right through the rubber in 350 miles. The Vomeros are more hard wearing, but the ouside of the heel will be right through the rubber long before most of the rest of the sole has even worn the texture off the surface.

• Options

BOTF - brave effort. Not sure I'd have dared to go out after a large Chrit's as lunch. Am planning to do my Christmas Day run first thing.

Gul - love the name!!!

Just over 11 miles for me this morning with some hilly stretches thrown in for good measure. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've gone back to last year's name. image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

TR - no I've not offered to mentor this year.  I really enjoyed it last year and was thrilled when Sarah ran 3:23 (aiming for sub 3:30 - god I was good image) but this year I don't have the time to put to it. 

I don't know if any of you are reading the Forum 6 Pitching Thread but there's a V50 female runner (doppy) with PBs (that I think she's achieved this year):

5k- 18.20
    10k- 38.26
    10 mile- 62.52
    Half marathon- 1.21.52

And she want's a sub 3 marathon.  She was a bootcamp reject. If she doesn't get through I think she should start her own thread anyway - I'd love to know more about her running.

• Options

Wow, I can't believe they rejected her. Is there a votey thing? I'll vote for her.

• Options

There isn't a votey thing. My theory though re the Asics comp is that her training is probably beyond the low-mileage Asics plan and she was too quality for them. I remember someone posting feedback they'd got saying they'd selected people with the most potential to achieve their goals and thought that was bollocks based on her not being selected. I can't believe she hasn't gone sub-3 already.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

It would be tough to mentor her, its a big ask to run sub3 for a lady esp as a V45. I asked her to post her training, that should provide clues.

Minni - for the usual reasons, I'm not prepared to mentor someone publicly. But I think I'll offer to (privately) mentor someone that doesnt get picked.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

for those that like training detail.....10M as 2M easy, 14x0.5M/30sec jog, 1M easy this morning.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    TR wrote (see)

, its a big ask to run sub3 for a lady esp as a V45.

In what way???? She clearly has the speed and works hard.  I bet she just needs to get the training right and she'll be there.

• Options

is it Okay to join this thread?

I'm aiming for an early spring sub 3:15

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

sub3 for a lady is equivalent to 2:45 for a man, tough but not unachievable. However, thats a tough achievement for a V45 or F45. I dont do rankings but go see how many V45s run 2:45 for a man and sub3 for a lady. Its also worth pointing out that its harder to get to that level as you get older than it is to remain there as you age. Cheerful Dave is still well under 2:45 as a V45, but he was there already. 

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good morning run from Orenzo, and what sounds like a tough intervals session from TR (although I'd expect nothing less!).

Minni, Doppy sounds like a serious runner, posting times like that. Can see how she may not fit into the usual Asics training targets.

Good work from BotF on not seeing Christmas lunch for the second time, and welcome to Big Rich image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I agree with what you're saying.  However, she clearly has the potential to reach that level from her shorter distance times regardless of age.  

• Options

I thought with her shorter distance times she should be running marathon slightly faster than she has done.

Impressive 5 and 10k times!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Her HM is the most impressive and shows she converts well.