Options

disqualified for wearing earphones

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

John, you lost the argument at the point where you said deaf runners are acceptable but headphone wearers aren't. Logically, either both categories should be acceptable to race organisers or neither category should be. If deaf people are accepted onto the course then headphone wearers should be accepted too. If headphone wearing is banned then deaf runners should be banned too.

I know you're a wind up merchant, but the obvious distinction is one is a chosen handicap.

Deaf people aren't choosing to handicap themselves stupidly.

• Options

Why don't they all bugger off and organize their own ipod 10k? 

I can understand people wearing headphones for ultras etc especially when you may be on your own for a lot of the time but a 10k? 

I think this is great, it's about time. The rules, whether we like them or not, are there from the start. 

• Options

The prize goes to John2443 for the most comprehensive and logical demolition of the iPod wearers' case.

Nothing more to say, really. Thread over and out image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    stubor wrote (see)

I think all the people against it are just old codgers who don't know how to work an Ipod!! And their wireless is just to big to carry around.

I use headphones all the time but undestand there is a safety issue on many races and if its in the rules, you should abide by them.

or maybe perhaps serious runners who understand to fully race at your best you need deep concentration, and not music in your ears?

I train with music, but in a race that'd be a disaster

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    stubor wrote (see)

I think all the people against it are just old codgers who don't know how to work an Ipod!! And their wireless is just to big to carry around.

I use headphones all the time but undestand there is a safety issue on many races and if its in the rules, you should abide by them.

or maybe perhaps serious runners who understand to fully race at your best you need deep concentration, and not music in your ears?

Stevie G wrote (see)
    stubor wrote (see)

But that is personal opinion and choice, I find a lot of comments about headphones are snobbish and implying people who use headphones are not serious runners and basically looked down on. I am completely against their use of them if it is from a safety point of view or if theyare banend from a race but some people like to use them and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Now there's a thought. An ipod 10k where all runners must wear the things, and have them 'on' loud.

Then have a marshal with their hands in their pockets saying left next turn.

Interesting to see how many keep going straight ahead; to who knows where?

🙂

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Off the edge of a cliff? That'll learn them!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

This isn't a bash at the BBC as I generally thing it's great, and this is off topic but following on the "rules are rules" theme.

I was getting a bit peed off with their coverage of that GB female speed skater who effectively got disqualified from her heat this morning.  Did anyone see it?  She looked like she won her heat, but a few minutes later the results showed her in last position.  At first, no one knew why but later there was footage of her not crossing the finish line, but going inside it by 1cm.  Now, this may seem a harsh reason for being disqualified, but it's apparently in the rules (even the BBC said this) yet the commentators were going on about how unfair it was.  Very odd.  I remember there was something similar in a cycling event (I think) at London 2012 where the rules were clearly broken, although I can't remember the details now.  

Don't get me wrong, I really want to see GB do well but at the end of the day she broke the rules even if it was unintentional.  Does anyone agree, or am I being harsh?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I agree Big G. If it was a Russian skater who had done it and the Brit was second they would soon be banging on about "rules is rules" etc. and getting the Russian kicked out.
  • Options

Feel sorry for her though.

DQed twice in a week.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Keith, yes I feel sorry for her too.  But she herself said she was kind of expecting the first DQ and the second was for a break of the rules (albeit admittedly only by a very small margin).  My point was really that the BBC was going on about how "unfair" it was, but I don't think it was unfair.  I think it would have been unfair on the person who originally finished fourth if the rule hadn't been applied correctly.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes. it was unfortunate, but unfair? bollocks! the BBC thinks that on account of the 'winning' story that's gone down the shitter.

The BBC's coverage is second rate as it is. Totally insular, if a Brit isn't involved the event might as well not exist.

And only medals count. For anything.

🙂

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

the cycling at london 2012 might've been victoria pendleton. 

• Options

I have a question about this. Is it allowed to wear earplugs during a run? It is just against the wind, I can still hear anything with it

• Options
    darren harrison 2 wrote (see)

9 people were disqualified in my local 10k at the weekend. Do you think that's a bit harsh? (they were warned apparently)

Was this the blackburn winter warmer 10k by any chance

on the entry form it said no iPods and also at the start on the running track they said any iPods and you be be DQ'd 

so if that happened to you, you were warned

• Options

Folk can't moans about being disqualified if they were told about the race rule.  It is a choice to either obey them or not and if caught they know the consequences.  Just wished more races were like that. 

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Nayan wrote (see)

the cycling at london 2012 might've been victoria pendleton. 

Na - wasn't it that guy in Hoy's team who fell off intentionally because he got a poor start?  I remember him basically admitting it in the post race interview and Hoy and his team-mate looking absolutely mortified!

They later claimed it was something lost in translation (the cyclist was obviously of German descent but riding for GB).  But he had clearly pulled a fast one.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

In tyerms of the cyclist getting disqualified for a tiny rule breach, that was jes varnish and pendleton where they were in some dual event and on the lead swap over they microscopically touched wheels. So microscopically that at such speed they did not get knockd off. The bloke cyclist used the rules to his advantage.

I think its borderline moronic to compare wearing headphones to allowing deaf runners. What about the equality act and reasonable adjustments etc. If the organisers of races banned deaf people there would b a lot of trouble.

In big races they allow people who are in wheelchairs. Surely if i am banned from using my bike then wheelchair users should be banned.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Depends on who owns the show.

You could set up a race with some rule such as the banning of ipods and then run yourself wearing one. See, its just a demonstration of power.

My local golf club had a rule banning the 'tucking in of trousers in socks unless your name is Seve Ballesteros'. 

The great man did this in one tournament and was not banned. But its a rule and unless you've really earned an exemption you have to abide by it.

Its the price of being powerless.

🙂

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Have you been behind an earphoned runner that couldn't hear an ambulance trying to get through Colin?

• Options
  • Options

A lot of deaf runners wear vests indicating their hearing impairment. 

• Options
  • Options

If only they would wear it. 

• Options

deaf runners are used to be deaf 100% of the time and so have developed their other senses to take this into account.they look around and take in their surroundings more......

You can not say the same for ipod users who usually use them so that they can get lost into the music......

To compare the two is just unbelievable.....

even in the local parkrun the ipod runners do not seem to be able to hear the shouts that the fast runners are lapping them,.....strange that although the ipod wearers all claim it does not affect their hearing the people who do not move over are always wearing one.......

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Near the end of a hard race effort your senses are already numbed and slowed down as it is.

To further reduce those with headphones is just odd. Especially surrounded by so many people.

The pro headphones runners using handicapped deaf people as some kind of alibi is just plain loathsome.

• Options

I cannot believe people are still trying to make a case for needing to stick something in your bloody ears to run a race.

And to compare it with a disabled competitor? 

In my opinion using music during a run makes you someone who spends their runs looking for ways to forget what they're putting themselves through, someone who doesn't enjoy running like those of us who embrace running for what it is. 

Plodding through mud and along trail, running as the sun rises (and well before), flying down a country lane, I don't want anything to interfere with that sense of pure pleasure I get from running. Running without headphones training or racing means my head is clear and it's a rare chance for genuine peace and quiet in an all too hectic life. 

I get why some people wear them to train, and there are obvious benefits, especially when it comes to tempo and interval runs but racing? No, and especially if it's in the bloody rules, which was the whole point the thread started. 

I cannot stand the control freak behaviour behind a lot of things, especially at work, but this is something you have a choice over. If it's in the rules, find another event, simple.